News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

McNopoly

Started by Paradox, October 19, 2008, 05:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

I hardly ever eat fast food. Even when I do eat fast food, I hardly ever visit McDonalds; however, they're doing that Monopoly game again. I always loved playing it as kid. My father and I would always put the pieces on the board and never win a damned thing except small fries and maybe a milkshake every once in a while. This year's version has a dual game. You can win with the pieces; furthermore, each piece has a code on it that you can enter online to play in a virtual monopoly sweepstakes. Two ways to win for the win!

So is anyone else playing this year?

Has anyone ever won something from it?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Will

I remember doing the same thing when I was a kid.  Is that a weird thing to be nostalgic about? *shrugs*

It seems like one would have to eat a lot of McDonald's to win, and I can't bring myself to do that.  We never did win anything substantial back then, either, and god knows we tried!  So, no, I'm probably not going to play this year.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Paradox

I think it's fine to be nostalgic about! I always enjoyed playing it, even if no prizes resulted. It's the possibility of winning that makes it fun.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Ashleebabe

I work at McDonald's and we all hate the game. Since I work there, we are not allowed to play nor our families. We are monitored when picking and distrubuting the products with Monopoly pieces on them. It does not matter for me about waiting for someone to get it because I am a manager but its a pain in general. Then people come in demanded that all of their coupons be redeemed at once and its only one at a time. So they order twice making it difficult on the order taker.

However there are like twelve McDonald's where I live so all the free stuff we may find on the tables or we purchase we can use them there. Its wonderful when we can do that.

Any questions about the game or anything else about McD's let me know.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.

Oniya

A friend of mine works there, and told me of this person who had just started working there, and tried to walk off with a carton of the tagged drink cups, by taking them straight from the truck to his car.  Fired on the spot.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Paradox

As well he should have been, friggin cheater! I bought a medium coffee yesterday for that exact reason.

Ashlee-- Not allowing your family to play is a bit unfair! I'd be angry if I was a family member of someone who worked at McDonalds, and they wouldn't allow me to play because of it. I can see why they don't allow it, but it still sucks.

Oniya

Quote from: Paradox on October 19, 2008, 05:50:53 PM
As well he should have been, friggin cheater! I bought a medium coffee yesterday for that exact reason.

We had a laugh about it because he was so clumsy about it.  Like he didn't think they'd notice an entire box shortage.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Ashleebabe

We have our cameras all over the stores so its not hard to figure it out

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.

Oniya

This didn't even take a camera.  My friend was part of the group receiving the merchandise from the truck.  They turned around, said 'Weren't there three boxes of cups?' and then checked the parking lot.  Then they cam in, told the shift manager they'd found the cups in a ___ ___ car.

The manager announced that said car had its lights on or something, the driver (and thief) stepped forward, and got canned.  He'd been working there for 2 or 3 days, and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd had the 'plan' in mind when he hired on.

Caity

I knew someone who had two of the yellow pieces, though the game had ended and threw them out.  Game hadn't ended, and they got the third yellow piece.  :P  I think it was worth like.. 25K? 

I think McNopoly is just a sinister plan to make us all a little fatter.   ::)

Paradox

Haha good point Caity, but I usually just give the food to friends or bums and keep the pieces for myself.

Caity

!  Cruelty to bums.  Isn't there a law against that?

Paradox

Oh come on. I've been homeless before; trust me, I wouldn't mistreat any bums. Giving them food is a kindness. They don't mind the fact that I took the monopoly pieces off. They're more concerned about making it through the day without starving again.

Caity

Even if it's McDonald's?   ;)

And I was kidding, by the way.   :P

Paradox

Haha, I know, don't worry.

Mathim

Due to my school schedule I am forced to rely on McDonalds' 99 Cent menu at times and once in a while, I get a shake instead of just water, and I got a free fries and a piece of one of the yellow properties. I use that little thing as a bookmark for the time being and I haven't been back to McDonald's since. I doubt I'd get the other three exact pieces I need even if I did go back once a week, so I won't bother. Their food is awful anyway, that's the worst fast food place to go.

But if anyone needs a piece of the yellow property in order to get all four and win, PM me and I'll go find it and give you the code. I really don't care about winning, since they're going to tax you like 40% of whatever you win anyway.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Paradox

No offense Ashlee, since you work there, but I agree with Mathim about the food. Even the famous "McNuggets" are a steaming pile of breaded crap. If I'm going to eat nuggets, they'd better be from Wendy's!

Which piece of the yellow property are you talking about anyway?

Ashleebabe

I mean I understand where you guys are coming from but if our food was so horrible then why does it sell so quickly and with such ferverence. I think it is drugged to be honest. But I am not here to endorse it but to give a tip in the game. All Mcdonald's are give a certain amount og product. Mathim is right, don't go back the same week. You have to wait a week and then bounce around to different McDonald's

Mathim

Quote from: Ashleebabe on October 20, 2008, 11:57:56 AM
I mean I understand where you guys are coming from but if our food was so horrible then why does it sell so quickly and with such ferverence. I think it is drugged to be honest. But I am not here to endorse it but to give a tip in the game. All Mcdonald's are give a certain amount og product. Mathim is right, don't go back the same week. You have to wait a week and then bounce around to different McDonald's

If you didn't invent McDonald's then you don't need to take offense at criticism of the food. It's like the army-we all hate that we attacked Iraq but we don't hate the soldiers. Anyway, I don't know why McDonald's is so popular, but probably the fact that they have cheap ice cream treats and their value meals and such are among the cheapest of fast food chains, coupled with the fact that there are just more McDonald's than any other place, that might have something to do with it (almost a MONOPOLY, if you think about it.) And the proximity of McDonalds' to most schools is probably more common than other fast food places.

I could tell some real horror stories about McDonald's I've heard from friends and co-workers but that might belong in a different thread.

And by 'yellow property', you know how the first two properties are purple, and then Boardwalk and Park Place are navy blue? Yellow property, I believe, is the property right before the 'Go to Jail' square on the board. On that piece I have, it says I need four other adjacent pieces of yellow property. I don't know the name, but it's one of the properties that are in the yellow zone of the Monopoly board. So if anyone has those other three (or at least two out of three) then PM me and I'll give you the code so you can use it without actually needing the physical piece that I have. Unlikely as that is, just thought I'd throw it out there.

And didn't Taco Bell do this same kind of thing a couple of years ago? I don't know what the occasion was but I and my neighbors combined our pieces and nearly won, but they lost one of the pieces and we couldn't collect.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Ashleebabe

That could be it too. I don't know. Like you said, I did not invent it so I have no room to really talk about their politcs or their menus. I am also not going to comment about half the stuff you said because its not my place to put my opinion as the right one whe it is far from it. All I am going to say is good luck to everyone who plays and have an awesome day

Mathim

If you work at fast food, do you get free food or just discounted? I heard in recent years they'd started charging employees for it when they used to give it to them for free.

Anyway, I also had to ask, is it just the drinks that have the tickets on them, or is it fries too? I remember back when I used to go to McDonald's more often, they had the Monopoly things on the cardboard fry holders and drinks, but I got a free medium fries from one ticket recently and there weren't more tickets on the holder. Did they stop putting them on the fry holders, or is it just for the large fry holders?

Ashleebabe

Okay here is the list as far as I can remember since I am not at work:

Medium and Large drinks
Large fries
The premium chicken sandwixhes, the Club, the Classic, and the BLT

Mathim

Aw, those cheap bastards. Oh well, they can't really afford to give away too much. Especially in this economy.

Paradox

Mathim- The physical piece and the code on it are two entirely unrelated things. The code just allows you to roll the dice in the online game. You would have to physically send it to someone in order for them to use it in conjunction with the other two.

Ashlee- I wasn't insulting McDonalds all that harshly  :P. It's good for a quick bite to eat when you're on the run. I was just saying that as far as fast-food cuisine goes, I like to go to other places. To each his own.

By the way, they offer the pieces on breakfast items as well. The hashbrowns have two pieces on the package for a measly dollar!

Ashlee- When you said they rotate the pieces every week, what did you mean? Which day do they rotate them?

Ashleebabe

Its fine Para, I like In and Out myself. As for the pieces, each week there are different pieces on the food items