Pathfinder: Adventurers Welcome (Recruiting)

Started by kckolbe, September 30, 2013, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Quote from: kckolbe on October 01, 2013, 10:25:08 AM
Text is fine, Blinkin.  For skills, though, I would appreciate if you broke them down by ability mod, then ranks, then other modifiers.  You would not have the rogue talent at level one.  Also, a crossbow is a simple weapon, so you would not need to waste your martial proficiency on that.

The Archetype gives a rogue talent at level 1 to replace the loss of trap find. The text reads...

"At 1st level, the swashbuckler may select one martial weapon to add to her list of weapon proficiencies. In addition, she may take the combat trick rogue talent up to two times.

This ability replaces trapfinding."

I'll drop rogue talent if you want, it'll mean changing the bonus feat for human, but not a huge deal. The skills aren't a big deal either, I'm just use to listing them alphabetically instead of by ability and rank. I'll make the changes.

Edited.
"
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

kckolbe

My bad, Blinkin.  Looks like I misread the class.

Also, for skills, put them in whatever order you want.  I just forgot about the class skill bonus because I am a moron.  I ran eight miles today, personal best, but I may have been brain dead for a while afterward.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Blinkin

No worries, it seems to be something everyone misses. It's part of the curse of having to read every line on a webpage.

How I list skills are, usually, Alphabetically, class skill+Ability mod+other mod+skill ranks

Example: 9 Bluff (Cha) (3(class skill)+2(ability)+2(Other Mod)+1(skill rank) I know most, if not all character generation systems list them differently, but to be honest, the system mystifies me for the most part as I'm not entirely sure which is which.

I'm happy to list them in whatever order that you like if it helps you to browse the sheet.

I'm off to edit it again and put the rogue talent back. :)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Blinkin on October 01, 2013, 12:16:15 PM
The Archetype gives a rogue talent at level 1 to replace the loss of trap find.

Out of curiosity, where does it mention that you get ANOTHER rogue talent at first level? From what I'm reading, it simply allows you to take a Combat Trick 2x, as opposed to the limit of choosing each rogue trick at most once. So you could spend both your 2nd and 4th level rogue tricks on a combat trick, but I'm not quite sure I see where it mentions that you gain an extra one on top of the ones you already have.

Ebb

Quote from: Ghostwheel on October 01, 2013, 03:22:57 PM
Out of curiosity, where does it mention that you get ANOTHER rogue talent at first level? From what I'm reading, it simply allows you to take a Combat Trick 2x, as opposed to the limit of choosing each rogue trick at most once. So you could spend both your 2nd and 4th level rogue tricks on a combat trick, but I'm not quite sure I see where it mentions that you gain an extra one on top of the ones you already have.

I think my reading is probably the same as Ghostwheel's:

Martial Training
At 1st level, the swashbuckler may select one martial weapon to add to her list of weapon proficiencies. In addition, she may take the combat trick rogue talent up to two times.
This ability replaces trapfinding.

That seems to me that at 1st level you get the extra martial weapon proficiency, and you don't get trapfinding. In addition, as you go up in levels you may take the Combat Trick talent up to twice, instead of being limited to just once like most rogues.

Otherwise what you're doing there is getting three combat feats at first level (Combat Trick is just defined as getting a Combat feat). That would be an extremely hefty bonus for a 1st level character. Note that regular Rogues don't even get their first rogue talent until they're 2nd level. If you got three extra combat feats at first level then every fighter in the world would take one level of Swashbuckler Rogue, I think.

Looking at it another way -- if you got all of that at 1st level, wouldn't it just say "take two extra Combat feats" or "take Combat Trick twice"? There wouldn't be any reason to say "up to twice"; it's not like anyone would choose to just take it once.

Blinkin

Where I read it is that as it's stated together, that it's all a part. Otherwise, it would seperate them out.  Martial weapon replaces trap find, then you may take combat trick up to two times. As it's together, over the trap finding, it looks to me that they are together.

Note that I didn't ask for, nor did I take 2 combat tricks. I agree that two combat tricks would be too much, however, fighters do get a bonus feat at 1st level and the swashbuckler is closer to a fighter than a rogue, without the option of more defense or HP.

Again, it's up to the GM, and asI said, if he decides to remove it, I'll be happy to comply. I think that it's a matter of interpretation... but if it was meant to be seperate, wouldn't it be seperated more clearly?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

I think the relevant text is, "In addition, she may take the combat trick rogue talent up to two times." It doesn't say that you get it on top of something, or that it's extra, or that it's granted automatically, or that you get an additional rogue talent at first level with which you can take the combat trick as a rogue talent. Just that you may take it up to two times, rather than a maximum of once which is what the "regular" rogue can do.

It opens the possibility to take combat trick twice, rather than once, with the rogue talents you get at every even level, but it doesn't actually give you any more rogue talents or combat tricks (doesn't say extra, additional, or anything like that).

Also, "may" implies that you can take them if you want to (as part of your normal progression), instead of the way I think you're interpreting it, which is getting them automatically. You don't have to take a second combat trick as one of your obtained rogue talents, but if you would rather a second combat feat instead of another rogue talent, you may take the Combat Trick ability a second time instead of just once, which is what the maximum times a "normal" rogue can take it.

Even with the archetype, I don't think you'd be able to take any combat tricks at first level, as you don't get any rogue talents then.

Phaia

:D
greetings!  do you have room for another... i have concept for a monk and this looks fun!

Phaia

Blinkin

As I said, I think that it's a difference of opinion and perception of the wording. It could be argued, although I'm not, that it doesn't say that you cannot.

Again, and I hope for the last time, it is a GM's call. If he decides that it doesn't apply, then I'll be happy to accept that and make the changes. He did say that it was ok above. If this is a game killer, it is still up to the GM.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Susan Skythorn

Daughter of a country innkeeper on a conservative frontier and neice of the captain of the town militia, Susan Guester was always a tomboy.  When she got some time off from helping her mother in the kitchen of the inn, she was as likely to go grab a stick and ask the boys to play swords with her as she was to take her doll to join the little girls. 

When her uncle Otis noticed this, he brought her onto the militia field and warned her, “The sword is no weapon for you, Susan.   Swords require strength, and no matter how strong you get there will always be a stronger man ready to cut you down.  Always keep your mind keen, your wits, sharp, and your eyes peeled for any advantage life throws you.  But if, gods forbid, you should be forced to fight, let’s see how you do with this.”  He showed her how to fire a slightly undersized crossbow—still very large for a girl of nine. 

Over the next four years, Susan frequently went out to the field to shoot with her uncle.  She was soon scoring better than most of the militia, and even hunting with him by the time she could use a full sized weapon. 

When Susan was thirteen, she discovered that her parents were arranging a marriage for her.  Being romantic enough to want to choose her own husband, but also young enough to still be fearful of sex—she’d barely begun her monthly bleeding!—Susan demanded that her parents end the arrangement.  When they refused, she packed her crossbow, some food, a dagger, and a few copper coins, and ran away from home.   

The next three years were hard, but the things Uncle Otis taught her kept her alive and thriving.  Dressed as a boy, she was harassed a little less-but still appeared young enough to engender sympathy.  She hunted with her crossbow and sold the meat in the towns she visited.  She also did chores at the farms she visited in return for a few days of civilized comforts at a time.  She traveled under the name Zan, for a story time hero from her mother’s tales, an elven giants slayer small enough to ride a dog. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Faolchu

Okay, here we go...

Name: Ezandru
Race: Human (Varisian)
Sex: Male
Class: Cleric 1
Deity: Shelyn

Background:

Born into a travelling Varisian camp, Ezandu’s family and clan were massacred by gnoll raiders in Varissia when he was only a few months old.Why the baby was spared, no-one is sure. However, the group of adventurers that were hunting the gnolls found a residue of magic around the wailing baby, indicating that one of the clan might have cast a protection spell around Ezandru before falling to the gnolls.While the rest of the party tracked down the gnolls, Elissa, the young priestess of Shelyn in the party, took the baby back to the nearest town. And when the rest of her party returned after gaining justice for the gnoll’s victims, Elissa had decided to take the baby with her back to Absalom.

Ezandru grew up in the care of the church of Shelyn, learning the rites, prayers, and ways of the clergy. Elissa told him of his foundling origin, and this lead Ezandru to study his Varisian heritage, especially the music of his people. Each day, as the others dedicated to Shelyn created works of art, poetry, and music, Ezandru sang the songs of his people and played traditional Vasarian instruments. Now, Ezandru is grown and has become an ordained member of the Church of Shelyn. He’s now ready to go out into the world and spread the beauty, joy, and love that comes from Shelyn.
Sir, remember your course correction?
No.
We'll it's proving somewhat more suicidal than we initially hoped for.

Muse

Susan Skythorn

Daughter of a country innkeeper on a conservative frontier and neice of the captain of the town militia, Susan Guester was always a tomboy.  When she got some time off from helping her mother in the kitchen of the inn, she was as likely to go grab a stick and ask the boys to play swords with her as she was to take her doll to join the little girls. 

When her uncle Otis noticed this, he brought her onto the militia field and warned her, “The sword is no weapon for you, Susan.   Swords require strength, and no matter how strong you get there will always be a stronger man ready to cut you down.  Always keep your mind keen, your wits, sharp, and your eyes peeled for any advantage life throws you.  But if, gods forbid, you should be forced to fight, let’s see how you do with this.”  He showed her how to fire a slightly undersized crossbow—still very large for a girl of nine. 

Over the next four years, Susan frequently went out to the field to shoot with her uncle.  She was soon scoring better than most of the militia, and even hunting with him by the time she could use a full sized weapon. 

When Susan was thirteen, she discovered that her parents were arranging a marriage for her.  Being romantic enough to want to choose her own husband, but also young enough to still be fearful of sex—she’d barely begun her monthly bleeding!—Susan demanded that her parents end the arrangement.  When they refused, she packed her crossbow, some food, a dagger, and a few copper coins, and ran away from home.   

The next three years were hard, but the things Uncle Otis taught her kept her alive and thriving.  Dressed as a boy, she was harassed a little less-but still appeared young enough to engender sympathy.  She hunted with her crossbow and sold the meat in the towns she visited.  She also did chores at the farms she visited in return for a few days of civilized comforts at a time.  She traveled under the name Zan, for a story time hero from her mother’s tales, an elven giants slayer small enough to ride a dog. 

In her sixteenth year, though, still penniless, she was robbed while sleeping in an inn’s stables, loosing everything but the clothes on her back and the cloak she used for a pillow. 

Desperate, she noted the adventurer’s guild sign and decided to try her luck.  If nothing else, she’d serve them long enough to pay off a new crossbow, then go back to the life she was accustomed too. 

Name:      Susan Skythorn
Player:      Muse
Alignment:   Chaotic Good
Class:      Fighter (Crossbowman) 1
Race:      Human

Birthday:   25th day of the 7th month. 
Height:      5’1”
Weight:   105lbs
Measures:   34 C, 24”, 30” 
Skin:      Lightly tanned.   
Hair:      Fiery red ponytail. 
Eyes:      Sparkling green. 
Style:      

Strength   11   +0
Dexterity   18   +4
Constitution   14   +2
Intelligence   12   +1
Wisdom   14   +2
Charisma   12   +1

Hit Points   12

Saving Throws: 
Fortitude   2   +2   +0   =d20+4
Reflex      0   +4   +0   =d20+4
Will      0   +1   +0   =d20+1

Armor Class   14   (Armor +0   Dexterity +4)

Base Attack   +1
--Melee      +1
--Missile      +5
--CMB         +1
--CMD         15

Class Features
--Bonus Feat

Feat: 
--Point Blank Shot
--Precise Shot
--Weapon Focus: Light Crossbow

Skills: 
--Climb      1 +3 +0 +0 +0   =d20+4
--Craft: Cook      1 +3 +1 +0 +0   =d20+5
--Perception      1 +3 +2 +1 +0   =d20+7
--Stealth      1 +3 +4 +1 +0   =d20+9
--Survival      1 +3 +2 +0 +0   =d20+6
--Swim      1 +3 +0 +0 =0   =d20+4

Traits: 
--Looking for Work:  +1 Perception, which is a class skill. 
--Slippery:      +1 Stealth, which is a class skill for you. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

I work sheet later on thursday or friday. However so far concept is this; Male Aasimar (Azata-Blooded) Bard 4 (archivist archtype). So a scholarly sort bard but who also knows how to play harp pretty damn well (haves no skill versatility provided via performances but as scholar he is better at that job than normal bard).

He is likely the guy you go to identify magic items, objects of history or get some general information provided for adventurers regarding their missions (or what they saw during missions). So rarely he does go on field on missions but he can be active in local social life in the city where Guild is. Also if speaking what knowledge classes he ran....he probably ran all of them! Including arcane and spellcraft.

kckolbe

I think that a martial weapon proficiency is a pretty weak trade off for trapfinding, so I will stick with the compromise of one combat trick being granted.

Phaia, we aren't doing first come/first serve, so feel free to apply.

Muse, char looks good, but I think you spent one too many skill points.

Faolchu, concept is fine.

Zaer, that sounds all right, but again, I don't want any races above 10 RP.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Muse

Didn't you say we got a bonus skill  p oint for craft?   *checks* 

Class: 2
Inteligence 1
Favored Class 1
Human Bonus 1
Campaing bonus 1

That's six. 

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Blinkin

Thanks Cole, I tended to agree that it was a weak tradeoff, which was one of the reasons why I thought that the two went together.

I mean, "You can use a longsword... Yippie!" was how I read it and Trapfind is fairly significant for rogues.

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: kckolbe on October 01, 2013, 09:18:09 PM
Zaer, that sounds all right, but again, I don't want any races above 10 RP.

Hmmm, ok. So I need reduce Aasimar by -5 RP so it fits in rest of the races setup then? Ok, I remove the spell-alike ability (glitterdust) and celestial resistance. It would leave Aasimar to be 9 RP race then, so to compensate the losses I would take Envoy racial trait (get comprehend language, detect magic, detect poison and read magic as spell-alike abilities 1/day). So my char is distant offspring of a diplomatic lillend.

kckolbe

That works, Zaer.  I'll add your char to the first post.

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

Thanks, my guy likely works as universal 'sensei' in the Guild and also works in registry and other scribe work. But also he collects rumors and news for work. So even if he does not go 'missions' he has lots work to do in the Guild. He may also work as 'face' of the Guild in diplomatic situations.

kckolbe

I think I can find some IC uses for a char like that.

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

Nice :). I feared when I roll staff char I would end up spend 90% time in the desk in Guild and doing much nothing besides socialize other staff members....or the new adventurers which he trained who are brief time between missions in Guild.

Anyways, roll charsheet either today or tomorrow depending how busy it gets for me.

kckolbe

All characters will do time at the guild waiting for work, but time not one mission can be spent in different ways.  Players are encouraged to try to make things happen on their own, especially after the first missions.

Intro Thread

Ghostwheel

Updated my character and background on my first post; half-elf summoner reporting for duty :D

kckolbe

Added and sent you an IM.  By the way, even though I am still accepting characters, I just wanted to say that I have received enough applications.  You don't have to worry about the game dying due to lack of interest.

I'm still preparing 1st level missions, "editing" the playing world and working on some side stuff.  No ETA on when submissions will no longer be accepted, most likely the end of this weekend, but want to check with some other folks helping me out.

Intro Thread