This IC for AHS: Coven is Open & Looking for 4 or 5 New Players!

Started by Twisted iN Tux, February 24, 2015, 11:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted iN Tux

Quote from: PixelDust on February 25, 2015, 05:01:32 PM
I'll put in for a Staff Member as well.  If needed, I'm willing to play two parts.

Thanks, Pixel. I'll note your interest - as well as lockepick's in playing either a Society or Spirit - but I think for now we'll stick with one character per player. Once we have our feet wet and get a good feel for where we're going, I'll open the claims up for a second character. Cool?

Also, on an entirely unrelated note, I would like some feedback, from everyone, on keeping certain character details withheld, only to have them revealed through the scenario. Does this sound appealing, annoying or just odd? Oh, and, when we get to power selection, would you like to pick your own or be given one, almost naturally selected, through PM? I'm sort of liking the thought of giving everyone an initial power, in secret, but then allowing most to select their second power or third if they are an advanced student/servant/staff member.

Thoughts?

Scylla

Quote from: Twisted iN Tux on February 25, 2015, 05:09:15 PM
Thanks, Pixel. I'll note your interest - as well as lockepick's in playing either a Society or Spirit - but I think for now we'll stick with one character per player. Once we have our feet wet and get a good feel for where we're going, I'll open the claims up for a second character. Cool?

Also, on an entirely unrelated note, I would like some feedback, from everyone, on keeping certain character details withheld, only to have them revealed through the scenario. Does this sound appealing, annoying or just odd? Oh, and, when we get to power selection, would you like to pick your own or be given one, almost naturally selected, through PM? I'm sort of liking the thought of giving everyone an initial power, in secret, but then allowing most to select their second power or third if they are an advanced student/servant/staff member.

Thoughts?

That was my intention.  Give you the option of having me as a second character if we get to that point.  I do want to get into the story before taking on two roles.

I love the idea of withholding info.  I'm a sucker for learning with my characters.  It makes writing easier in my opinion.  I have to figure out other characters along with my own.  It would bring up some very interesting conversations and incidents along the way.  The powers idea is good as well; random initial power and chosen second.  Like jumping into an RPG with skills you have to learn to use before you get good enough to actually earn some.  I'm for it.

Dotley

Quote from: Twisted iN Tux on February 25, 2015, 04:57:31 PMDotley, does this mean you're one step closer to joining? Please say yes! I mean, uh, no pressure.

I can’t promise anything quite yet since I don’t want to disappoint, but I am still interested! When the character sheet is released I’m definitely going to see what I can come up with.

Lately I’ve discovered a penchant for writing older characters so I’m really only interested in a Staff or Servant position. Leaning towards Staff since a teaching role sounds like fun  :-)
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

Twisted iN Tux

Quote from: Dotley on February 25, 2015, 06:16:57 PM
I can’t promise anything quite yet since I don’t want to disappoint, but I am still interested! When the character sheet is released I’m definitely going to see what I can come up with.

Lately I’ve discovered a penchant for writing older characters so I’m really only interested in a Staff or Servant position. Leaning towards Staff since a teaching role sounds like fun  :-)

Excellent! I will save you a Staff spot and if for any reason you wish to run off into the night, never to be seen again, that spot will be returned to its original place with no worries and no harm done. That's just how I roll. Also, if you suddenly change your mind and want to play a Servant instead, I'm sure we can work something out, up to and including ditching my butler, Philip.

boyblue23

Quote from: Twisted iN Tux on February 25, 2015, 05:09:15 PM

Thoughts?

I'm alright with being given an initial power, maybe if it could be assigned before we do our character sheet so we have it in mind? Also YES secrets sheets. I say just visible names ages and pictures.

Scylla

Quote from: boyblue23 on February 25, 2015, 08:16:59 PM
I'm alright with being given an initial power, maybe if it could be assigned before we do our character sheet so we have it in mind? Also YES secrets sheets. I say just visible names ages and pictures.

I agree the the knowledge of the power before the CS, uuuuuuunlessssss it's something they a.) don't know about until the school, or b.) develop at the school.

boyblue23

Quote from: PixelDust on February 25, 2015, 08:24:11 PM
I agree the the knowledge of the power before the CS, uuuuuuunlessssss it's something they a.) don't know about until the school, or b.) develop at the school.

tru dat. But I figure initial power is what got them enrolled in the first place? maybe?

Scylla

Quote from: boyblue23 on February 25, 2015, 08:25:25 PM
tru dat. But I figure initial power is what got them enrolled in the first place? maybe?

Hrm.. Didn't think of that.  See, I don't know crap about this story.  LOL  I need peeps like you to enlighten me.  *bows*  Thank you, sir.

boyblue23

Quote from: PixelDust on February 25, 2015, 08:30:21 PM
Hrm.. Didn't think of that.  See, I don't know crap about this story.  LOL  I need peeps like you to enlighten me.  *bows*  Thank you, sir.

haha that is the only thing I can think of that is need to know. There's no need to thank me for being a nerd  ;)

Lockepick

On Multiple Characters: I only intended to start with one -- the musing about playing a Spirit/Society member was for the future. I wouldn't even pencil me in for those positions, since it's rather hypothetical. All my ideas for Spirits that I come up with don't allow a lot of direct interaction, and make them probably ill-suited for a PC...

On Secret Sheets: I think it's an interesting idea! I think this was said, but I would still like some sort of public sheet -- even if it's just basic stuff like: Name; Picture; 'Faction'. Could even be more of a database, I suppose.

On Powers: I always love the idea that there are rules (or even a light system) to how our power grows, even if they're totally OOC. It could be us getting 'arcane experience' or something based on posts, time, or specific events -- or even just the GM saying "When something big/dramatic happens, I might allow additional powers/control to be attained". Though I feel like I should say -- I'm also fine if we just don't ever upgrade. I guess I've just played in a lot of games that claimed we would grow and then we never did. Not sure how helpful that input was...

As for the start: I think we'd need to start with one Power, just so we have a reason to be at the school, though our level of control of even that one power might be weak. I can think of a few ways to get a student into the school that hasn't manifested their power yet if somebody really wanted that story, but I wouldn't make that the norm. (Staff member with 'witchfinder' ability; giving that student some super mundane power that is just enough to know they have ANY potential; etc.)
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

boyblue23

Quote from: lockepick on February 26, 2015, 10:14:47 AM
On Multiple Characters: I only intended to start with one -- the musing about playing a Spirit/Society member was for the future. I wouldn't even pencil me in for those positions, since it's rather hypothetical. All my ideas for Spirits that I come up with don't allow a lot of direct interaction, and make them probably ill-suited for a PC...

On Secret Sheets: I think it's an interesting idea! I think this was said, but I would still like some sort of public sheet -- even if it's just basic stuff like: Name; Picture; 'Faction'. Could even be more of a database, I suppose.

On Powers: I always love the idea that there are rules (or even a light system) to how our power grows, even if they're totally OOC. It could be us getting 'arcane experience' or something based on posts, time, or specific events -- or even just the GM saying "When something big/dramatic happens, I might allow additional powers/control to be attained". Though I feel like I should say -- I'm also fine if we just don't ever upgrade. I guess I've just played in a lot of games that claimed we would grow and then we never did. Not sure how helpful that input was...

As for the start: I think we'd need to start with one Power, just so we have a reason to be at the school, though our level of control of even that one power might be weak. I can think of a few ways to get a student into the school that hasn't manifested their power yet if somebody really wanted that story, but I wouldn't make that the norm. (Staff member with 'witchfinder' ability; giving that student some super mundane power that is just enough to know they have ANY potential; etc.)

I concur!!

Scylla

I agree with Lockepick on all his points.  On this one about CS in particular, I do believe we need some form of public versions just to help us with the story.  It's nice to have something to go to for general info when you're trying to write a post.  Just so we don't have to remember every little thing.

Twisted iN Tux

Quote from: boyblue23 on February 25, 2015, 08:16:59 PM

Yes, initial powers will be given before CS's are drafted up. It's far too important to not know it advance. The 'when' or 'how' it developed will be left up to the individual player. So, some will have known about it since birth, while others may decide to make it a bit more recent.

Interest in multiple characters is more something I'm taking note of behind the scenes. So worry not. Nothing is being written in stone.

Secrets sheets. Ahhhhh! First of all, I must say that I love the open dialogue we're having about this. It's really nice to see. It shows me that it matters and that you guys care enough to want it done right. What I don't love is my inability to make myself clear on the subject. Bad me. Shame on me. So, to clarify...

There will indeed be a Character Sheet section and there will be a detailed Character Sheet that everyone must complete, in full, to play. However, what there won't be are fully realized sheets for all to see. The group will get the basics and then, as the game progresses, details can and will be added once they are disclosed in-game. Everyone will send me their completed sheets and I will post them up with the appropriate pieces, so no need to worry about what to share and not to share. As things unfold, with your help, I'll disclose more information. Make sense? If not, feel free to ask more questions here or PM me. I basically want to create a bit of mystery, an element of surprise. As I mentioned before, I hate it when someone reads a CS, reacts to what they read as if the character had it tattooed on their forehead or had available copies to hand out to everyone they met on the street, and nothing is ever said or done about it, as if this were a natural occurrence. Well, bah, I say, bah! I want things to unfold in game, to be revealed through thoughts, actions and words. Cool?

As for the Power Point System, it truly is going to be a basic guide, just to keep things on the up and up. Most players will start with the bare minimum and, basically, it will be up to them to decide how they want to allot them. Do they give their base power 3 points or do they give it 2 and save 1 for a new power? What happens when they hit 7? Is that the cap? I still have to work out the details, but it will be very basic, user friendly and, to be perfectly honest, not written in stone. If we feel that the story would benefit from a sudden spike in abilities, I'll allow it and we'll play it out! This is all about having fun and creating both wicked and wonderful characters, not keeping track of points and levels and whatever. So, please, fear not, I do not want to get lost in systems and rules of that nature.

As for how everyone comes about finding their way to the academy, it will be different for each player. Some will be invited - witchfinder indeed! - and some will have been discovered on the fly, while others may have done a bit of digging around and, somehow, caught wind of a secret sect of witches. Perhaps their power helped them discover the truth or they simply had a calling. For whatever reason, each will find their way.

Phew. I think that covers most of the major points brought up and I hope my explanations shed enough light on them to make it a bit more clear. I should have the blank CS up either tonight or by tomorrow night at the latest and, well, I should probably warn you all...it's gonna be a fun one...er, at least I think it's going to be!

Cheers,
Tony

boyblue23

Quote from: Twisted iN Tux on February 26, 2015, 02:16:29 PM
Yes, initial powers will be given before CS's are drafted up. It's far too important to not know it advance. The 'when' or 'how' it developed will be left up to the individual player. So, some will have known about it since birth, while others may decide to make it a bit more recent.

Interest in multiple characters is more something I'm taking note of behind the scenes. So worry not. Nothing is being written in stone.

Secrets sheets. Ahhhhh! First of all, I must say that I love the open dialogue we're having about this. It's really nice to see. It shows me that it matters and that you guys care enough to want it done right. What I don't love is my inability to make myself clear on the subject. Bad me. Shame on me. So, to clarify...

There will indeed be a Character Sheet section and there will be a detailed Character Sheet that everyone must complete, in full, to play. However, what there won't be are fully realized sheets for all to see. The group will get the basics and then, as the game progresses, details can and will be added once they are disclosed in-game. Everyone will send me their completed sheets and I will post them up with the appropriate pieces, so no need to worry about what to share and not to share. As things unfold, with your help, I'll disclose more information. Make sense? If not, feel free to ask more questions here or PM me. I basically want to create a bit of mystery, an element of surprise. As I mentioned before, I hate it when someone reads a CS, reacts to what they read as if the character had it tattooed on their forehead or had available copies to hand out to everyone they met on the street, and nothing is ever said or done about it, as if this were a natural occurrence. Well, bah, I say, bah! I want things to unfold in game, to be revealed through thoughts, actions and words. Cool?

As for the Power Point System, it truly is going to be a basic guide, just to keep things on the up and up. Most players will start with the bare minimum and, basically, it will be up to them to decide how they want to a lot them. Do they give their base power 3 points or do they give it 2 and save 1 for a new power? What happens when they hit 7? Is that the cap? I still have to work out the details, but it will be very basic, user friendly and, to be perfectly honest, not written in stone. If we feel that the story would benefit from a sudden spike in abilities, I'll allow it and we'll play it out! This is all about having fun and creating both wicked and wonderful characters, not keeping track of points and levels and whatever. So, please, fear not, I do not want to get lost in systems and rules of that nature.

As for how everyone comes about finding their way to the academy, it will be different for each player. Some will be invited - witchfinder indeed! - and some will have been discovered on the fly, while others may have done a bit of digging around and, somehow, caught wind of a secret sect of witches. Perhaps their power helped them discover the truth or they simply had a calling. For whatever reason, each will find their way.

Phew. I think that covers most of the major points brought up and I hope my explanations shed enough light on them to make it a bit more clear. I should have the blank CS up either tonight or by tomorrow night at the latest and, well, I should probably warn you all...it's gonna be a fun one...er, at least I think it's going to be!

Cheers,
Tony

You're the best!!  :-*

Scylla

Quote from: Twisted iN Tux on February 26, 2015, 02:16:29 PM

Etched in stone, indeed.  I demand my info be carved into the very fabric of time and space.  You will do this or I swear by Sexy Zeus I will bake you the worst batch of oatmeal raisin cookies ever.  You have 24 hours.

QuoteAs for how everyone comes about finding their way to the academy, it will be different for each player. Some will be invited - witchfinder indeed! - and some will have been discovered on the fly, while others may have done a bit of digging around and, somehow, caught wind of a secret sect of witches. Perhaps their power helped them discover the truth or they simply had a calling. For whatever reason, each will find their way.

I'd prefer to know how they student came about the school before writing up a CS, unless they don't know this info before we start.  If the CS's are supposed to just be a generalization made months or weeks before they even know about the school, then that's fine.  But if some of us are supposed to be at the school already I feel like that would factor into our character build.  You may have all this sorted out already, in which case I'm just talkin' out mah butt.  So yeah.

It'll be great, Tony.  You have a great group here already.  Along with the attention to detail you put into your stories, I can't see it going badly.  I know I won't drop out for sure.  *grins*

Twisted iN Tux

Yep. Just like the initial power piece of the puzzle, we'll hammer out the exact details - for you, Pixel, it will be down to the milisecond, observed by hundreds, signed off by Oprah and certified with a golden star - for how ya got to the academy, long before ya submit your final CS.

Orange Marmalade

Scylla

Quote from: Twisted iN Tux on February 26, 2015, 02:42:54 PM
Yep. Just like the initial power piece of the puzzle, we'll hammer out the exact details - for you, Pixel, it will be down to the milisecond, observed by hundreds, signed off by Oprah and certified with a golden star - for how ya got to the academy, long before ya submit your final CS.

Don't you dare mention that woman's name in my presence.  She got her chance to apologize, now she's on the list.  *evil eye*

Twisted iN Tux

Quote from: Orange Marmalade on February 26, 2015, 02:44:26 PM
Make the game go noooooooooow and stuff!

Did I not just whip you into submission? Hush you. It's cummin'!

Quote from: PixelDust on February 26, 2015, 02:45:24 PM
Don't you dare mention that woman's name in my presence.  She got her chance to apologize, now she's on the list.  *evil eye*

She is god. Her word is final. Did you not know that?

Scylla

Quote from: Twisted iN Tux on February 26, 2015, 02:47:09 PM
She is god. Her word is final. Did you not know that?

I understand that there is an Oprah, I just don't believe there is one all-powerful Oprah watching our individual lives and judging every single action.

Twisted iN Tux

Quote from: PixelDust on February 26, 2015, 02:53:15 PM
I understand that there is an Oprah, I just don't believe there is one all-powerful Oprah watching our individual lives and judging every single action.

Blasphemy! *secretly has a love/hate thing for the woman* And, OM, I almost just wet myself. Love that.