E's Cooking Class

Started by Moonhare, April 29, 2010, 10:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonhare

Hare's Carrot Cake

1 1/2 cup grated raw carrots
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, well drained
1 cup sugar (Use Splenda or Stevia as a replacement if you wish)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 olive oil (Can substitute applesauce to have oil free, but olive is healthy version)
3 eggs or 4 egg whites
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup walnuts

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour pans, or use silicone pans for no added fat.
Grate carrots and toss with the lemon juice and pineapple.
Mix all dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice.
Add eggs and mix well, then eggs.
Add raisins, walnuts, and carrot mixture and mix until just blended.

Put mixture into your preferred baking dish and bake about 45 minutes for two loaf pans, longer for a bunt cake, shorter for cupcakes. If unsure, to make sure these don't dry out. Set for 25 minutes and check with a tooth pick every 5-10. It needs to be dry in the middle without being over dry.

Top with cream cheese icing, or just a sprinkling of powdered sugar. Or for a more breakfast go, try honey butter on the inside.

And that concludes Moon's Cooking for the day. Up next will be Moon's Pork Ribs and Daikon.

Moonhare

I didn't really follow anything on the pork ribs. My goal was to make them taste good and be tender.

5 pounds pork spare ribs cut in half (Makes it easier to get into the pot)
1 32oz box chicken broth or equivalent
6-8 cups of water

Boil in a big pot for about an hour to hour and a half.

1 small daikon sliced and quartered
1 leek sliced across the stalk
1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
1/2-1 cup sweet soy sauce or regular
1/2 cup sake
1/4 cup Worcestershire (sp) sauce
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt

Continue to boil until the meat is tender.
Remove meat and daikon into a bake dish.
Strain liquid to remove any debris, and continue to boil with 1/4 ketchup.
Let reduce until slightly syrupy.
Pour over baking dish and bake at 400F for 20-30 minutes.
Serve with rice.

The amounts of the sauces are not exact as I don't really measure unless I am baking. Play with the sauce, add some chili for heat, as long as it tastes good.

Moonhare

Congee or Rice Soup

I already listed this in the Cheap meals for under $10 thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=53757.0

This is a variation:

2 cups pre-cooked rice
1 chicken breast, cubed
1 32oz. chicken broth
6-8 cups of water
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt to taste

Boil everything in a big pot, turning the temperature down when the rice starts to break down. Takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending. You might need to add more water as it boils to keep the consistency, but it makes a big pot.

This is what I make my kid when they are sick.

Moonhare

Front

Back

Simple and easy. I like using the stand as it lets the fat drip under the skin and leaves crispy skin without the fat layer. Also it browns nicely on all sides. The top of the breast and the wings can get a little dry, so let it rest breast down. Juices return to the breast and make it taste great. Any seasoning can replace the thyme, but my family loves it like this. It's light and flavorful without any oils or much of anything. Sometimes, simple is all that is needed.

Preheat oven to 425.
Rinse chicken and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme.
Place on a stand.
Add about 2 cups of water to base of baking dish
Place standing chicken on and bake for about an hour.

Let rest before removing stand. Edit: Oh, quick tip on the stand, twist and pull to remove. The twist will help dislodge it before sliding it free.

The Golden Touch

Baked Salmon with Oven-roasted Zucchini and new Red Potatoes

This recipe is for two people only, so if you have more than that you will need to modify to suit. The list of   ingredients is only a guideline, as I know that people have different allergies and tastes.  I love this dish   for its simplistic flavors and the color it presents on a plate.  My husband enjoys it, and my friends as well   when I serve it at dinner parties.  Please keep an open mind when you cook this dish, and remember to   have fun!

2 Salmon Fillet [Whole or in two inch wide pieces]
  5 to 6 Red Potatoes, cut in halves [quarters if you get esspecially large potatoes]
  1 medium/large Zucchini, cut in thick slices [You should be able to fit the slices on a regular size   baking sheet]
  Extra virgin olive oil
  Black pepper
  Salt
  Paprika
  Thyme
  Seasoning Salt
  Garlic, minced
  Butter

Set the oven to 350

The salmon fillets can be cooked as a whole piece instead of the precut two inch wide fillets.  Arrange either the whole, or cut, fillets in an square pan.  Sprinkle the salmon with papkira, thyme, seasoning salt, black pepper and salt to taste.  There is not a measurement that I can give you, because I prefer more paprika, but others may not.  Over the seasonings, sprinkle the minced garlic.  A tablespoon of butter goes on top of the fillet.
Salmon goes into the oven for 30 minutes.  Check at 20 minutes at the thickest part of the fish.  If still raw in the middle, return it to the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes.

Take the zucchini slices in a large bowl, drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil and toss until all of them are coated.  Sprinkle with black pepper and salt, toss again.  Arrange the slices on a baking sheet.  Into the oven at 350  for fifteen minutes.  Check at ten.  The zucchini will be soft. Vary the time depending on how soft you want it.

The halved red potatoes go into the large bowl and drizzle olive oil, sprinkle black pepper and salt, then tossed to coat.  Arrange the potatoes cut side down on a baking sheet and put them into the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.  Check the potatoes 15 minutes in, and turn them, making sure they do not stick to the baking sheet.  They will be soft, but not as mushy as you would have them for mashed potatoes.  Cook them to your preference.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Remec

Someone said I should post this, so hear we go:

Remec's Banana-Brownie Bread

3 sticks butter or margarine, softened
1.75 cups (packed) brown sugar
4 eggs
2.5 tsp vanilla extract
.5 tsp almond extract
1 pkg brownie mix (of a size to make a 9x13 pan)
Enough flour to round the brownie mix to 4 cups
1 tsp salt
.5 tsp baking soda
1 tbs baking powder
.5 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups pureed banana soaked in 1 cup strong black coffee

1. Pereheat oven to 350. Generously grease a 9x13 baking pan

2. Beat together butter/margarine and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time,  beating well after each. When fluffy, add in extracts.

3. Sift together dry goods. Add to butter mixture, alternating with the bananas, beginning and ending with the dry mixture. Add just enough each time to combine, do not overmix.

4, Spread the mix evenly in the pan and bake about 45 min, or until a probe inserted at various points in the center comes out clean.

This was something that just came to me as I had some bananas that needed using and this box of brownie mix just sitting around. It is based off the banana bread alteration of the carrot cake recipe from "Moosewood Cooking" by Mollie Katzen.
-----
8-)

Moonhare

Kabobs

I like grilled kabobs, but I am not good with a grill. >>
I am good with a broiler though.

Beef (cubed)
mushroom (small bells)
red bell pepper (cleaned and cut into thick strips and folded in half without breaking)
leeks (cut into 1 inch pieces)

I have metal skewers so I didn't have to soak the bamboo style. If you use bamboo, soak them for about 20 minutes or so in water so they don't char. You can marinate the meat if you like. I am a bit old school in that I don't think steak needs a marinade unless it is a bad cut. You can also use chicken, lamb, or shrimp. One note on shrimp is that it cooks very fast, so you might want to pre-broil your veggies, cool, then rearrange to make it look pretty, or broil the shrimp separate. They should only need a few minutes each side. When they turn a little pink turn, and when that side is just pink take out and rest. Anything more than that and they will be rubbery. (I don't eat them, but I have to cook them enough to have learned. ::) )

Preheat the broiler on high for about two minutes
Place meat and vegetables on skewers in an order that is pleasing to the eyes.
Spray or brush with olive oil
Sprinkle with salt and pepper

Place on a broiler pan or on a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet.
Broil about four inches or so below the broiler coils for about 4-7 minutes, turn over and repeat.
Remove, turn off oven, and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
Serve with salad or rice.

TheLovelyMaid

Lovely's Luscious Key-Lime Cake
-Just made this yesterday for my dad's birthday, if you like sweet, and citrus, this cake is for you.  And yes, the insides are green.

Ingredients:

1 3oz package of lime flavored gelatin (like a box of lime jello)
1 and 1/3 cups granulated sugar
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 and 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup key lime juice (from either 4 large limes or 20-25 small key limes--I just use 25 key limes, and juice them by hand.  But lime juice is sold, so it's up to you.)
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and lightly flour three 9-inch round cake pans. (I only used two in the photo because the house is junky and I couldn't find the mate. >.<  But it's supposed to be a three-layer cake.)

In a large mixing bowl, mix the gelatin, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.  (ONLY THE GRANULATED SUGAR, the confectioner's is for later.)  Stir to mix well.  Add the eggs, oil, orange juice, lemon juice and vanilla.  Mix until the batter is even.   Divide the batter evenly among the three (or two) pans, and bake for 30-40 minutes.  Get a toothpick, and test for completion (make sure no raw batter lingers on the toothpick.

While that's in the oven, mix the confectioner's sugar and the lime juice and wait for the cakes to finish. Take them out, and let the pans cool for only five minutes, and turn them out onto racks.

Now, while the layers are still hot (this is key) pierce holes with the toothpick or a fork, and pour the glaze (lime juice and sugar) over the cakes.  The tiny holes let it soak in better.  Then let it cool while you make the icing.  Now, if you're counting calories, you don't have to make the icing.  The cake is fine and sweet with just the glaze.  However, if you want to get fancy with it, there's an icing, which I made.

Cream Cheese Icing

Ingredients:

1/2 cup (or one stick) butter, room temperature.
1 8oz package of cream cheese, room temperature.
1 (1lb) box of confectioner's sugar.

DIRECTIONS:
Cream the butter and cream cheese.  Beat in the confectioners' sugar until the mixture is smooth and easy to spread.  Spread the icing between the layers and on top and sides of the cake.

Serves 12.

I'll also post this in Xandi and Des's thread.

Serephino

Moroccan Chicken

4-6 chicken breasts
1/2c olive oil
2tbsp paprika
3tsp cumin
1tsp salt
6tbsp lemon juice
2tbsp garlic powder

Mix marinade in small bowl.  Marinate chicken at least 4 hours.  Grill chicken, or place in baking dish with marinade and bake at 400* about 40 mins. 

Bostonesq

Grilled Fig and Arugula Salad Pizza:  Grilling pizza is easy once you get the knack for not buring the crust. This is my favorite and is guaranteed to impress.

1 pizza dough (I cheat and use the fresh store made dough)
3-4 fresh figs
1 large vidalia onion
arugula 
gorganzola or goat cheese
virgin olive oil
fresh lemon
balsamic vinegar

Chop and then carmelize the onion in a frying pan (use some butter and a dash of sugar) and set aside
Slice the figs thinly
sqeeze the jiuce of one fresh lemon into 1/4 cup (more or less) of olive oil
Roll out the pizza dough as thin as you can get it and grill one side on a hot grill and remove (2-3 minutes)
Make your pizza putitng the ingredients on the grilled side of the dough
Layer the onions and figs on the pizza
Toss the arugula with the olive oil and lemon mixture and then generously cover the pizza with the arugula
Sprinkle the cheese over the arugula
Sprinkle the top with balsamic vinegar

Grill the pizza on a hot grill constantly moving it to avoid burning the bottom..you just need to charr the bottom of the crust (2-3 minutes). Remove from grill and serve. Makes a great salad course or appetizer. You can add pinenuts and/or prosciutto before grilling.

Moonhare

As anyone in the SB today heard, I am trying out different fresh bread recipes. This one from Allrecipes.com is good...easy and good.

I don't have a mixer, or a bread machine for that matter, but this uses the least ingredients, and gives a fluffy slightly sweet loaf of bread, one loaf at a time.

There are recommendations in the reviews about how to make this one by hand. And there will be patience needed on the rise time, and a warm area, but it is very much worth the wait.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Bread/Detail.aspx#

Moonhare

Shepard's Pot Pie

I eat this one frequently during the winter and just taught my younger sister how to make it my style and not as salty as my mom's.

It's simpler than it seems.

One premade pie crust in the foil pan
1 premade pie crust in the roll
1 can cream of mushroom or whatever cream soup you like
1 pound ground beef, pork, or turkey
1/2 cup frozen veggies (Corn, peas, green beans, etc)
4-6 cubed potatoes
1-2 cups of shredded cheese

Pre-bake the pie shell in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. This will keep the bottom crust from getting soggy.

Brown your meat, drain and add the cream soup and veggies. Stir until a smooth consistency.

Boil your potatoes, drain.

Now the fun. Add your meat to the bottom, save any extra for another pie by freezing. Sometimes I use it all, sometimes I don't. Add the potatoes on top. I don't like mine mashed as it makes them run with the crust on top. Next, add cheese. You can also add cheese between the meat and potatoes if you like. Cover with the rolled out pie crust. Pinch the edge around.

Bake for about 30-45 minutes until the crust is golden brown and crispy. Cool for 15 minutes or so and enjoy.

You can also do the same thing with just about any left overs. Pot roast, taco meat and cheese, etc. Good way to spice up left overs and not waste any. ^_~ My kids love it in pie...pie makes everything taste great.

Moonhare

Moon's Dark Chocolate Cranberry Fudge with a hint of Sea Salt

3 cups dark chocolate (60% cacao)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 stick unsalted butter

Microwave for 3 minutes, stirring every minute until smooth

Stir in:
1 cup dried cranberries
1-2 teaspoon course sea salt

Spread in a foil or parchment lined dish and chill for about 2 hours. Let come back to room temperature and cut. Enjoy ^_~