News:

Main Menu

Easy Bib

Started by King_Furby, April 07, 2007, 05:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Furby

For any of you in school this site here as been a life saver for me in many of my classes, especially the ones that require the writing of essays. It provides an easy way to cite information and get works cited pages done in record time. It uses MLA style which is great for me since thats what style my teachers require me to use.

Just posting it cause i think its useful.

http://www.easybib.com/MyBib/view.php

Vandren

Well, it's up-to-date.  But make sure your profs want 6th ed. MLA, especially when you're dealing with articles, since there were some fairly major changes between MLA 5th and 6th eds. and a lot of people - including authors of writing textbooks - are still using the older version.

(Not that MLA's all that difficult anyway, with some practice, except for the obscure and little used sources.)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

King_Furby

Well yea it depends on the wants of the teacher but all i am saying is it helped me out and may help out others as well.

Vandren

Learning MLA actually saves time anyway (two steps to enter each line instead of five or more steps), using the site takes longer than just entering the info in a Works Cited page.  The time consuming part is always finding and typing in the publication info, which is necessary both for using the site and not using it.  *shrug*

On the other hand, I've been using MLA for over 10 years now and encourage my students to learn whichever system their field uses, since that's faster in the long run.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

King_Furby

Well by now no doubt you are a pro at using MLA so you got all that memory going on. It may take you less time to just enter the info as you no doubt got the formats memorized. For someone without that its faster to use the site. I am not an english major and i am done with my english classes (thank god) but still some other classes still require MLA style to be used.

It really just depends but still the site can be useful.

Audrine

Ugh, got any good APA sources? All my law classes require it.

Vandren

Quote from: Audrine on April 24, 2007, 10:11:41 AM
Ugh, got any good APA sources? All my law classes require it.

last name, first initial.  (year).  Title.  City: Publisher.  - for books (title is lower case save for the first word and proper names)
last name, first initial.  (year).  Article title.  Journal title, issue or issue(volume), pages.  - for journals/magazines

I highly recommend:

Andrea Lunsford's The Everyday Writer, 3rd ed.  - this one is very good and the most up-to-date of the three
Rosen & Behren's The Allyn & Bacon Handbook, 5th ed.  - probably the best of the three, though it's a little out of date.
Muriel Harris' Prentice Hall Reference Guide, 6th ed.

All three cover APA, CMS, CSE and MLA formats as well as having many other useful reference points in them re: grammar and evaluating sources.

And to Furby . . .

Personally I started out in Biology, with MLA required for every class save the physical sciences.  It still saved time in the long run to actually learn the system.  Many of my former students have come back one to three years later and said the same thing - most of them went into nursing, education, and other non-Humanities fields (only three or four went into English or History, none in the modern non-English languages).  And if you known MLA the others are easy, since MLA tried to borrow a little bit from APA and CSM (the other two most commonly used formats).

King_Furby

it would just depend on how often you would be using the system