Next up... Episode 7 Star Wars: The Return of Jar-Jar and the Ewoks

Started by Callie Del Noire, October 31, 2012, 08:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/disney-buying-lucas-films-for-4-billion/

It was like the sounds of a thousand fans being ignored forever more in the pursuit of franchise mining Luke...

This worries me

Teo Torriatte

Fuuuck...

What are the chances of Disney NOT trampling all over our treasured childhood memories with the next three SW movies...

More than Lucas already did, himself, with ep 1-3, I mean...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Luna on October 31, 2012, 08:39:40 AM
Fuuuck...

What are the chances of Disney NOT trampling all over our treasured childhood memories with the next three SW movies...

More than Lucas already did, himself, with ep 1-3, I mean...

Me.. I'm curious to what blackmail they had on him.. I mean.. the ultimate contorl freak that Lucas is.. to SELL his baby.. He keeps skywalker ranch..

Moraline

gaggedLouise

Oh save us from inventing taglines such as "Can Super-Donald rescue Leia's diamonds?"   :-X

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Teo Torriatte

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Moraline on October 31, 2012, 09:13:17 AM
This picture says it all:

Damn it's too early for this shit..thank the goods for Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon.. three fingers and the pain goes away in an otis like shudder.

Will

They can't possibly do any worse than Eps 1-3.  As bad, maybe.  But not worse.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Will on October 31, 2012, 09:51:43 AM
They can't possibly do any worse than Eps 1-3.  As bad, maybe.  But not worse.

To which I retort thusly: "Do not challenge a board room full of executives with a franchise to cash in on."

Cases in point.. Dragonball Live Action.. and the ongoing cluster-F that is Akira (which has gone from a 200+ million live action to shopping around for a director/writer willing to work 40 to 60 million)

Will

Point taken.  But at some point, you cross a line, and it just becomes garbage.  And there's no need to rank garbage against garbage, no point in contrasting or comparing.  It's all just garbage.  Kill it with fire.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Will on October 31, 2012, 10:18:38 AM
Point taken.  But at some point, you cross a line, and it just becomes garbage.  And there's no need to rank garbage against garbage, no point in contrasting or comparing.  It's all just garbage.  Kill it with fire.

Ah.. the 'Highlander 2+' argument.. very true.. the only way to fix it is to burn it to the ground and start from scratch.  I honestly don't see where the next three will fit in on the timeline.. further back in time?

LunarSage

Uhh, as I recall, Lucus himself was the reason why the prequels sucked so bad.  With him now out of the picture, we might actually get good movies.  Remember, Disney has been making the new Marvel movies and they have been all kinds of awesome.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 31, 2012, 10:29:34 AM
Ah.. the 'Highlander 2+' argument.. very true.. the only way to fix it is to burn it to the ground and start from scratch.  I honestly don't see where the next three will fit in on the timeline.. further back in time?

According to Lucas, the next three were supposed to take place a couple decades after Episode VI and focus on rebuilding the Republic.  If so, I hope they go with some of the novel-canon involving the next Skywalker/Organa/Solo generation.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on October 31, 2012, 11:07:54 AM
According to Lucas, the next three were supposed to take place a couple decades after Episode VI and focus on rebuilding the Republic.  If so, I hope they go with some of the novel-canon involving the next Skywalker/Organa/Solo generation.

Sadly my understanding, second hand from a star wars fan friend, is that the books ARE considered to be canon.

Oniya

Sadly?  I'd heard that Zahn's books in particular were pretty good.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on October 31, 2012, 11:22:51 AM

I hate the Vong.. TRULY.. Epically.. TOTALLY.

Avis habilis

Quote from: Oniya on October 31, 2012, 11:22:51 AM

I read the first one. It was such a turgid plod I never picked up another.

Aiden

The good

Kingdoms hearts on Tattoonie, hell yea!

Not that I have played many of them since the first one.

Silverfyre

Lucas has gone on record saying that only the movies and their licenses spin-offs (novelizations etc.) are canon and that everything else exists in a "parallel universe".  For reference and interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon#George_Lucas_and_Star_Wars_canon

So, with there being a variety of different definitions on what is canon or not, it makes me wonder what is ahead for the Star Wars universe.  I am both intrigued and dreading it, so I guess all we can do is wait and see.

Moraline

Kunoichi

Quote from: LunarSage on October 31, 2012, 11:03:22 AM
Uhh, as I recall, Lucus himself was the reason why the prequels sucked so bad.  With him now out of the picture, we might actually get good movies.  Remember, Disney has been making the new Marvel movies and they have been all kinds of awesome.

This.  Disney getting the rights to Star Wars could be exactly what the franchise needs to turn itself around.

Oniya

Quote from: Moraline on October 31, 2012, 12:36:46 PM
We need a Darth Talon and Cade Skywalker movie.

Pretty sure that even Touchstone isn't up for that...  Although I bet it would get a nibble or five around here!

NightRabbit

Quote from: Silverfyre on October 31, 2012, 12:22:26 PM
Lucas has gone on record saying that only the movies and their licenses spin-offs (novelizations etc.) are canon and that everything else exists in a "parallel universe".  For reference and interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon#George_Lucas_and_Star_Wars_canon

So, with there being a variety of different definitions on what is canon or not, it makes me wonder what is ahead for the Star Wars universe.  I am both intrigued and dreading it, so I guess all we can do is wait and see.

+1

I agree, we'll have to see what they have in store for Star Wars. However I'm not holding my breath for anything resembling the comics or novels...My SO is going to have a fit when he hears about this. :(

Kunoichi

By the way, a question: Does this mean that Leia is now a Disney princess? :P

LunarSage

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫