DnD 3.5 Unlimited: Legendary Monsters Recruitment part2!

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 07, 2016, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReijiTabibito

Not according to what I've read in the ECS book.  Usually, if you can suppress an ability, they will note that you can in some way.  Like the Nymph's Blinding Beauty ability.  There's nothing in the description I read that even suggests you can do that.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, you cannot suppress immunity to stat dmg (our Witch suppress her own fear immunity via a flaw, not gain feat but take flaw none the less able use a class feature of hers). In same theory can allow a flaw which allows harm your stats with sacrifice spells (and have ofc other negative effect top of that so that enemies can harm your stats in specific circumstances also, like with any spell with vile or evil description can harm your stats).

ererruz

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on February 27, 2016, 04:14:40 PM
Not according to what I've read in the ECS book.  Usually, if you can suppress an ability, they will note that you can in some way.  Like the Nymph's Blinding Beauty ability.  There's nothing in the description I read that even suggests you can do that.

Hmmm...

177 PHB, under 'Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw:' the last sentence states, "Even a character with a special resistance to magic (for example, an elf's resistance to sleep effects) can suppress this quality."

I thought that would apply here?

(Usually, from what I noticed, they would say when you cannot suppress immunity, for example, in my character's case, in no way can I suppress my immunity to transmutations, as explicitly stated in inviolate form feature. At least that's how I assumed it worked.)

ReijiTabibito

It's not a big deal for me to have to downgrade from Luminous to regular old Mage Armor - I lose the -4 melee attack penalty (which doesn't matter so much as I already have butt-high AC and incorporeality), and 2 AC (+6 vs +8), but I gain a feat (I needed Arcane Preparation in order to have the spell in the first place) in return.

The major difference between Luminous and Mage Armor is that the latter is a Conjuration spell while the former is Abjuration - which would have benefitted from the Abjurant Champion's Abjurant Armor class feature that lets you increase the value of the AC bonus by up to your Abjurant Champion level.  Though, I will say I find it weird - the book entry on Abjurant Champion notes that they rely on spells like Shield and Mage Armor instead of actual armor.  Which, considering Mage Armor is not an Abjuration spell...you would have thought the game designers would have gotten that one correct.

I'm not so stuck on having it, though.  There's plenty of character options out there.

Zaer Darkwail

I would rule that abjurant champion improves mage armor spell provided AC bonus (it's written all over the place and I am darn sure the writer of that PrC forgot mage armor is conjuration spell than abjuration).

ReijiTabibito

Ah.  Would you rule that for purposes of the PrC, Mage Armor can be treated as an Abjuration spell?  (IE, Extended Abjuration & Swift Abjuration?)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 27, 2016, 04:16:22 PM
Yeah, you cannot suppress immunity to stat dmg (our Witch suppress her own fear immunity via a flaw, not gain feat but take flaw none the less able use a class feature of hers). In same theory can allow a flaw which allows harm your stats with sacrifice spells (and have ofc other negative effect top of that so that enemies can harm your stats in specific circumstances also, like with any spell with vile or evil description can harm your stats).

They can? I don't remember that as part of the rules. [Vile] damage can't be healed outside a Consecrated area, but that's all I can think of.

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Cool.  Looks like AbChamp is still in the running for PrCs, then...I just have to decide which one I would like to do first.

EDIT: Quick question for the crowd, since it's been awhile for my magery.  The spell Shadow Evocation lets you duplicate the effect of any evocation spell of 4th level and lower, at the cost of being recognized as an illusion and reduction of effect.  Can you apply metamagic feats to this spell?  As example, let's say I use Shadow Evocation to cast Fireball, and I want to apply the Explosive Spell Metamagic feat to it.  Can I do that, yes or no?

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 27, 2016, 10:08:00 PM
They can? I don't remember that as part of the rules. [Vile] damage can't be healed outside a Consecrated area, but that's all I can think of.

It's my suggestion for custom flaw (like Witch has custom flaw to allow fear effects affect her despite normally she would be immune to them).

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on February 27, 2016, 10:22:24 PM
EDIT: Quick question for the crowd, since it's been awhile for my magery.  The spell Shadow Evocation lets you duplicate the effect of any evocation spell of 4th level and lower, at the cost of being recognized as an illusion and reduction of effect.  Can you apply metamagic feats to this spell?  As example, let's say I use Shadow Evocation to cast Fireball, and I want to apply the Explosive Spell Metamagic feat to it.  Can I do that, yes or no?

The shadow evocation mimics in all aspects the spell which it mimics, with cost that will save can reduce significantly impact of said spell. So yes, you can add any metamagic feats to the mimicked spell and fireball in that case would also have 'fire' description (as would magic missile shadow evocation have force description and thus able affect incorporeal foes like any force spell would).

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 28, 2016, 04:23:03 AM
It's my suggestion for custom flaw (like Witch has custom flaw to allow fear effects affect her despite normally she would be immune to them).

The shadow evocation mimics in all aspects the spell which it mimics, with cost that will save can reduce significantly impact of said spell. So yes, you can add any metamagic feats to the mimicked spell and fireball in that case would also have 'fire' description (as would magic missile shadow evocation have force description and thus able affect incorporeal foes like any force spell would).

OKay, so it's not something you're making part of the rules by default then, okay. Good to know.

Kunoichi

I'm using a flaw from Dragon Magazine, actually, and I believe I picked it up using another suggestion from Dragon Magazine from an article on alternate Bestow Curse effects.

ReijiTabibito

Cool.  Okay, next question.  I'm looking at the Goggles of Lifesight in the MIC - page 108 - it says that when you activate them, you can know whether a visible creature is alive, dead, undead, or none (constructs, it notes).  It doesn't say how long the effect lasts, though.

EDIT: According to the item description, it uses the Deathwatch spell, which lasts 10m/level, and the item has a CL of 9th...

Zaer Darkwail

So item lasts 90 minutes when activated. If it has no daily uses (or limited uses) then can have them constantly active.

ReijiTabibito

It can be used 3/day.  But the way I was reading it made it sound like it was a sort of one-off item, you activate it and it does its thing...and then that's it.  Which makes it seem kind of weird compared to a number of the other goggles.  I added the entry from the MIC below, GM, so you can evaluate for yourself.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
GOGGLES OF
LIFESIGHT
Price (Item Level): 2,000 gp (6th)
Body Slot: Face
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 19) divination
Activation: Standard (command)
Weight: 1 lb.
The  lenses  of  these  goggles  are  hewn  from
smoky quartz. A tiny hourglass decorates the
upper corner of each side of the frame.
When  you  activate  these  goggles,  you
automatically know whether any visible
creature  within  30  feet  is  alive,  dead,
undead, or neither alive nor dead (such as
a construct). This power can be blocked by
any effect that would prevent the effect of
a detect undead spell.
  This ability functions three times per
day.
  Prerequisites:  Craft  Wondrous  Item,
deathwatch.
Cost to Create: 1,000 gp, 80 XP, 2 days.

Zaer Darkwail

With that pricing I say it's one time deal; it does not last 90 minutes but is standard action to 'figure things out'.

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  One last thing.  For items that have charges, is there a way I can increase them?  One of the things I'm buying is the Belt of Battle, which has 3 charges a day?  Can I pay extra money to have more charges?  Or something else?

TheGlyphstone

Buy two Belts of Battle and combine them? The second one would be at a 50% markup, but that's still nice.

ReijiTabibito

I'm just using the BoB as an example that I can relate to, since I know I'm getting it.  Other items - whether charges or uses/day - could also benefit from this.

Also, I'm just seeking whether or not you can get extra charges.  The Belt also gives a competence bonus to Initiative.

TheGlyphstone

The only legal way I can think of is to buy extra copies of the item and stack them together. In the case of the BoB, you wouldnt get an increase to initiative because you're stacking multiple competence bonuses, but you'd get extra uses/day from your "Belts" of battle.

Zaer Darkwail

I recall I had allowed (in past games) to allow increase in charges based on formula in MIC (or DMG, I am not sure but I remember there was actual mathematical formula to increase charges to 5th charge max).

ReijiTabibito

I'd be down for that.  (Doubly down if I can also apply it to items that have uses/day.)  Where would we find this formula?

Jefepato

For items with a certain number of charges per day, try DMG page 285.

ReijiTabibito

That's useful for something that has a direct spell effect - the Boots of Teleportation given as an example strictly USE Teleport - but for things like the Belt of Battle, which don't have a straight-line effect based on the spell used to make it, I'm not 100% on it.

At least, not until the GM's ruled on it.

Speaking of GM ruling...I was told that our characters, because they're Paragons, are allowed to have 1 Epic feat (if possible).  Are there any houserules for that feat, or...?

Zaer Darkwail

Only houserule on epic feat gain is that you qualify for it, otherwise you can spend paragon bonus feat for non-epic feats as well but only through paragon bonus feat you can start off with epic feat before reaching epic levels.

Anycase I rule belt of battle charge uses as if spell had been cast to boost your actions, so it uses same formula (as does other effects).