Justice Heroes (Young Justice/Justice League Inspired RP) - Open!

Started by BruceTheCat, March 03, 2016, 09:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceTheCat

That's awful Master! I hate it when stuff like that happens.

Since the game is free-form I am quite lenient on sheets now, really all I'm looking for is that someone isn't god-modding and that backstories don't conflict with other characters. If you want to throw something super simple and quick together (with just a few sentences) I would be OK with you adding the rest in later.
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Darwishi

Quote from: MasterOfMyFate on April 20, 2016, 11:42:19 PM
So everything that I worked on for a character sheet got deleted on accident...

*le sigh*

Minor set back. I should be able to fart one out tomorrow. :P

Get Lazarus.  It's amazing and has saved my butt more times than I can count on accidentally deleting stuff.  It's easy to install, but it depends on what browser you use which is why I'm linking the google search for it instead of a specific site. ;)

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=lazarus%20recovery

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Darwishi on April 21, 2016, 12:31:37 AM
Get Lazarus.  It's amazing and has saved my butt more times than I can count on accidentally deleting stuff.  It's easy to install, but it depends on what browser you use which is why I'm linking the google search for it instead of a specific site. ;)

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=lazarus%20recovery

Truth.

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on April 20, 2016, 07:58:54 PM
Your character
SWEET! C&Ping and Editing the bio now!

== Character Bio ==

== Personal Information ==

Legal Name: Mar'i Grayson / Mary Grayson / Mary Gray.
Alias: Nightstar
Sexuality: Bisexual
Part of Gotham Residing In: Gotham Mid-Town.

== Physical Description ==

Mar'i Grayson stands at roughly 5'11 - inheriting at least some of her mothers height - and is in possession of a slender, athletically curvaceous form thanks both to the rather exquisite genes donated to her by her parents, Dick Grayson and Koriand'r, and the focus that was emphasised in her youth on staying fit and healthy in order to best employ her natural abilities to defend the helpless and the vulnerable. She has long, smooth legs, a slender waist and a modestly generous chest - Earth Measurements place her cup size at 32C - with a smooth and pleasantly shaped face. Long, black hair flows down about her face and shoulders down to her middle back in luscious, healthy curls and frames a pleasingly symmetrical face with a gently angled jawline. Her eyes are a brilliant emerald green - inherited from her mothers Tamaranian physiology - that glow brightly when she is feeling an intense emotion or using her abilities in any way. Much the same as her mother, she has an orange tint to her skin that sets her apart from other females, though thanks to the mixed breeding of her father, her skin is closer to a "natural" human olive than the outright bright orange-pink of a pureblood Tamaranian.

Civilian Wear:

Mar'i tends to favour jeans or short skirts and t-shirts when walking around town in her normal attire, thanks to their lack of restriction to movement compared to a dress and their comfort; she finds herself more at home in more "tomboyish" clothing than "girly girly" stuff, though she has been known to slip on a slinky dress if going somewhere posh or nice. She enjoys shopping despite her more tomboyish tastes, simply because she loves all of the choice that is afforded her in the Gotham high street, but she won't go anywhere near high heels unless going to a formal function; they're very, very difficult to move in and if she learned anything from Bruce, it was that mobility is always key.

Superheroine Wear:

Her costume is very, very simple; it's a single-piece purple half-robe, half-leotard like article of clothing, covering just her groin and backside in order to give her as much freedom in her legs as possible and stretching up and out to reveal an ample amount of cleavage in a low-cut V shape before cresting the shoulders and flowing down her arms in a pair of purple loose-ish fitting sleeves that end in blue arm bracers. Her outfit is accentuated here and there by bits of blueish-indigo trimmings and in one place, a belt, and she tends to use a Tamaranian-style circlet of the same colour with a purple star set into it over her forehead and around her scalp to hold her hair out of her face when fighting and flying. She tends to also wear a pair of dark purple and blueish-indogo-trimmed, thigh high boots to protect the soles of her feet and her lower legs.

== Persona ==

Despite her complicated past and her rather unique circumstances, Mar'i tries to retain the outgoing, good natured persona that she left her own timeline with, despite all the hardships. She tries to offer support to those she considers friends, and believes that loyalty, honesty and dependability are the most important things that you can offer those you love. She is very strict in her high standards, holding others to them just as much as she does herself, probably due in large part to her own experiences with the matter. Being a young girl of the "Next Generation" and being from a family with a kind, understanding mother - from what Mar'i can remember, anyway - and a distant, if caring, father, Mar'i is a bit more free with her sexuality than you would imagine from a woman of her age and her alien heritage. Being raised on Earth of course helped that latter issue, but she is - despite her sexual liberation - afraid and wary of getting emotionally close to anybody in this timeline, for obvious reasons given her history. She is loyal but slow to trust, passionate in her interests and intense in her desires but guarded about her own identity - she can't let anybody know who she really is, for fear of what might happen to the timestreams - and fiercely determined to live up to the values and beliefs of those she left behind. She forcibly keeps a cheerful disposition despite the ennui that she feels inside sometimes, and though she largely keeps a brave front up, she is susceptible to bouts of depression and melancholy which is, perhaps, to be expected. Despite her friendly nature, she has a certain edge to her that sometimes makes her come across as a little harsh in her dealings with people, and definitely makes her seem a tad overzealous when fighting criminals and supervillains. She hasn't seriously hurt anybody yet, but she apparently doesn't know how to hold her anger and sorrow in check enough to hold herself back in a fight. Similarly, if somebody breaches trust or betrays family or anything that goes contrary to what she holds dear, they'll soon know just how quickly that friendly disposition can change into one of unimpressed iciness and sometimes outright fury. She may be friendly...but she's far from a pushover, and she has that edge to her that makes her more dangerous than you may otherwise think.

Though she has largely given up on returning home, she has pointedly and determinedly not lost hope; she will make her own life in this new Timeline, and try to prevent the same thing that ruined her old home from happening in this one. She has taken up a job as a waitress in a burger restaurant close to where she lives - and the crime rate has mysteriously sharply dropped since her arrival; imagine that - and lives in a one-bedroom apartment just down the street. She makes enough money from her job and her tips - she's a very good waitress, and knows just who to flirt with to get a bit extra; just because she's good natured doesn't mean she won't take advantage of the obvious tricks of the trade...a gal needs to eat, after all! - to get by, and her "night life" both social and Vigilante provides plenty of chances for excitement and meeting new people. She's content, for the moment, while she figures out her long term plan. She misses her home...but she's stuck in this Timeline, so she may as well make the most of it. It's what her family would want for her.

== Powers And Abilities ==

- Tamaranean Physiology: As a Tamaranean, Mar'i has the same abilities as her mother, Koriand'r, that are granted by to her alien physiology. However, she is markedly weaker than her mother due to the dilution of her genetics with a human (Dick). These are, specifically, as follows:

-- Nightstar's physiology means that her body constantly absorbs ultraviolet radiation from her surroundings and converts it internally into energy.

-- Energy Absorption: Nightstar is able to absorb the ultraviolet energy from other lifeforms in order to restock her own supply of energy more rapidly and allow her to use larger levels of power at once.

-- Flight: Nightstar is able to use her internal energy to take flight at extreme speeds, though not yet as fast as her mother was able to during her prime. Much like her mother, her flight leaves purple corntrails behind her that appear to originate in her hair.

-- Starbolts: What was done to her mother was done on the genetic level, meaning that her offspring - Mar'i - can also use versions of her mothers Starbolts, converting the internally collected UV Radiation into powerful external blasts of energy. These Starbolts are slightly stronger than her mothers and more versatile; being born with them has apparently strengthened the Genetic Manipulations effect. She appears to lack the ability to produce the "Nova Blast" that her mother was capable of, however.

-- Superhuman Durability: Thanks to her alien heritage, Nightstar is able to shrug off blows that would incapacitate a normal human. Whilst not as durable as some - for example, Superman or Wonder Woman - she can still walk off wounds that would land normal humans in the hospital.

-- Superhuman Strength: She is able to hit harder and lift heavier weights than her size would suggest. Her mother - in her prime - was able to lift in excess of 100 tons on some occasions....alas, being half-human, Mar'i lacks that sheer physical power though she can still clock in at a respectable 50 tons, if she pushes herself.

-- Language Assimilation: Like her mother and every other Tamaranian, she has the ability to learn new languages through touch, though being a half breed, she cannot do so instantaneously; she must maintain the contact for slightly longer than a full-blooded Tamaranian. She tends to agree with her mothers old philosophy on this one; kissing is, generally speaking, a lot more enjoyable than just touching somebodies hand. Especially if they're cute.

Other:

-- Through intensive training with Bruce Wayne, Nightstar has gained an impressive resistance to mental attacks and psychic readings. Whilst not immune, she is as resistant to it as a non-telepath can be without having a super power specifically directed at it.

-- Her brief time with Bruce Wayne and her few interactions with her father earned her basic lessons in self defence. Whilst she is unlikely to be able to take on people such as Nightwing, Starfire, Ra's Al Ghul or Deathstroke in single hand-to-hand combat with any efficacy, she knows enough to get by.

== Background ==

Mar'i Grayson was born to Koriand'r and Dick Grayson - Starfire and Nightwing (Formerly Red Robin) - on 27th April, 2027 in a small town just outside Metropolis. Her early life was relatively quiet as Koriand'r and Dick attempted to raise her in a normal, quiet, peaceful environment whilst striving to teach her about her powers as she grew up rather than leaving her to figure them out on her own. She went to pre-school, then primary school, played with her friends and only occasionally wondered where her parents went every so often in the middle of the night. Her parents, for their part, mostly retired from Vigilante work - only going on occasional patrols if they heard something unsettling, or only going after specific criminals if they passed through - in order to avoid orphaning their daughter. Ironically, it wasn't a super villain or a gang war or a secret government organisation that ended up doing that; it was nature. When Mar'i was only eleven years old, Koriand'r was diagnosed with an untreatable, unknown alien version of circulatory disease. Despite copious donations from the Wayne Empire and dozens of favours being called in from the extended Justice League family, Koriand'r passed away when Mar'i was only 13. Dick withdrew inside himself at her death, unable to properly cope with losing the woman he thought he would be spending his life with, throwing himself back into his vigilante work as a way to distract himself at the cost of neglecting his daughter. Thankfully, Mari's adopted grandfather Bruce Wayne - who knew first hand what it was like growing up without parents - stepped in to effectively raise the girl on his own, doing his best to reinforce and cultivate the values of loyalty, kindness and compassion that her parents had started to instil in her...of course, some of Bruce Wayne's own old personality rubbed off on her, and she soon set out as a vigilante in her own right.

When she reached the age of 18 - and after a couple of years of Bruce desperately combating his most dangerous foe yet; a teenage daughter - she had come to not despise her biological father but instead pity him, though their relationship was admittedly rather strained due to his years of neglect. He, to his credit, realised upon meeting her on the streets of Star City how much he had missed and how much he had ended up wallowing in his own self pity, and tried to make amends...but Mar'i was of the opinion that it was too little, too late. Though she didn't dislike her father, she also didn't have time for him. Why should she, when he never made time for her? Unfortunately, the family squabble was about to get worse...when Kansas was destroyed by an unknown assailant, two rival Hero groups emerged from the ashes; Superman stepped out of retirement to reform the Justice League, which Dick joined, and Bruce Wayne similarly re-donned the Cowl to head up "The Outsiders," a group of slightly more shadowy and obscure young heroes whose methods sometimes got under the JL's skin. Just as conflict between the two groups began to boil over into full-scale war...history diverged, as it so often does. Brainiac, finally recovered from his final defeat at the hands of the JLA and the united heroes of Earth thirty years previously, returned and attacked the Earth. Over the course of two years, the JL and The Outsiders were forced to put aside their differences to fight against him...and soon enough, Mar'i and Dick were, after a fashion, reconciled after Bruce Wayne fell in battle and Dick managed to retreat with a screaming Mar'i over his shoulder.

Whilst Brainiac was eventually defeated...it took the life of Dick, too, only half a year after he and his daughter had begun to rebuild their relationship. Mar'i was devastated and, in a typical display of raw Tamaranian rage, attempted to attack the remnants of Brainiacs exploding ship in an attempt to ensure that he was really, truly dead this time...and the Quantum Drive chose that exact moment to detonate, flooding the space above Earth with hundreds of different variations of radiation, most of which was at that point completely unknown to humankind. The explosion caught Mar'i in a Quantum Fluctuation that tore a hole in space and time and pushed her through it, through to an entirely different version of reality. She found herself not only in a different time - 2015, to be precise - but a completely different timeline where Brainiac hadn't yet attacked and where Dick Grayson had not settled down with her mother, Koriand'r. Crucially for Mar'i...all her loved ones were alive. Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson....Koriand'r. But it was....different. These people were not her family, not the people she knew and she couldn't fully convince herself that these people would serve as adequate replacements to what she lost. This Bruce Wayne was not her firm-but-loving grandfather; he was a tough, brooding, brutal vigilante. This Dick Grayson was not her flawed-but-noble father, struggling to make amends for his mistakes; he was a still-fresh, idealistic youth with his entire life ahead of him. Kori wasn't her doting, loving, sweet mother...she was a carefree young woman in the prime of her life, enjoying her youth while she could. These people, whilst wearing familiar faces, were utter strangers to her and she couldn't bring herself to see them as anything more than pale imitations of what she once knew. The pain of seeing them so close and yet so far, the ache of saying hello and not being recognised by her own family...the thought was too much to bear. And so she ran. She ran far away from them, sinking into a deep ennui as she tried to figure out what her place was in this new, strange, lonely world...this literal universe where nobody knew or cared about her at all.

But one day, she snapped. She was buying milk at the local grocery store when a youth - barely 18, by her reckoning - held the owner up at gunpoint and attempted to rob the place. Mar'i could have stepped in, fists and Starbolts swinging, but she recognised that desperate, wild look...that lonely, guarded posture he held...he was scared, he was desperate and he was doing the only thing he could think of to alleviate his pain. And so...she talked to him. Listened to him. It might sound naive, but on this occasion, she managed to persuade him that it wasn't what he wanted or needed, that he needed to leave quietly and think carefully about what he actually needed....and she, in that moment five months after she first arrive, realised what she needed; she was a hero at heart, and the emptiness she felt inside would only be filled by doing what she loved, what she was meant to do, and through it, gaining new friends and family. It would be tough and she would never truly replace her family, but she would not dishonour their memory any more than she already had by wallowing in self pity and despair. She was lonely, yes...but she didn't have to be. Neither of her parents or her grandfather would want that, and even if she never saw them again, she would do them proud. That was what she wanted, what she needed...to be the woman they would want her to be.

So, she resumed her vigilante work. She spent the next few months getting used to the new world and the new timeline, getting used to the new villains and the familiar yet younger faces around her. She couldn't let her parents know that they're her parents in another timeline - it might screw this one up, for all she knew - so she adopted the last name "Gray" and established a cover as the daughter of a deceased Tamaranean exile who died when she was young...not a lie per say, but far enough away from the truth that nobody should suspect much. Then...she got to work. It is now late 2016, over a year after her first arrival in this universe and she has been extremely busy. She made a great effort to establish herself as a Hero in the community and forge links with the other local heroes in order to try and build a life for herself here...the chances of successfully getting back to the first alternate universe are slim to none, so her friends and family may as well all be dead. She needs to create a new life, a new family, new friends...or she'll never make it through the crushing bouts of despair that hit her when she stops to think about what she's lost.

== Face Claim: ==

Michelle Trachtenberg

== Theme Music:==

Star Sky by Two Steps From Hell

THERE WE GO! So! Is that kewl?

Quote from: Red Lobster on April 20, 2016, 11:00:13 PM
@Vergil and Totes, your sheets look great guys! One note about your backstory Vergil. One of our character Zoe Wayne is the biological daughter of Bruce Wayne. Since you are from a AU, it's OK if you want to keep the bit about being raised by Bruce in your backstory. But this universe's Bruce would not treat Mar'i like a daughter, since he has one.

Unless you and Rel want to discuss, and say that Mar'i lives with them or something! It's up to you guys

Here is the link to our OOC thread. You can find the story threads in the main post: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245391.0

Heya Vergil!

Here is my character sheet for Zoe. I do think that there are a few things that you mentioned in your history which would conflict with Zoe Wayne. She's publicly Bruce Wayne's daughter, so that may conflict. How tied are you to having Bruce Wayne be part of her development?

I'd also like to mention that there is another tie to Bruce Wayne with Joe, as well. It may be pushing it to have Bruce basically running an orphanage and raising all these kids on top of all his other duties.

Vergil Tanner

Oh, his ties to Joe and Zoe won't be an issue; in the AU she came from, Wayne never had any kids so raised her as her grandfather HOWEVER it is mentioned in her backstory that in this new AU, she hasn't so much as approached Bruce, Kori or Dick due to her not thinking she could handle dealing with a "stranger with a familiar face." I took into account the differences in the universes, don't worry :-) This universes Bruce Wayne has likely never even met Mar'i, since she consciously stayed away from him. So no issue there. :-) Not to say that she won't meet him at some point in-game, but right now? She hasn't gone to find this universes versions of her parents or grandfather yet. So no clashes are in effect! She may have met Joe and Zoe, of course, though she wouldn't have gone out of her way to do so for fear of meeting Wayne. :P So thanks for the heads up and the info, but I'm waaaaaay ahead of you on that note. ;)

So, am I kewl to put the character in the Character Sheet thread and pop up in the OOC, then? :-)  Also, did you want me to alter my bio to match the layout of the other ones, or am I ok to keep it in its current form? Just checking :-)
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Rel Mayer

Maybe I'm confused (sorry) but how did she make it to this particular universe?

Also, really the only issue I have is just having another character join the game with a similar past.

Vergil Tanner

Again, that was gone over in her backstory. :-) Basically, Braniac attacked, Braniacs ship got wrecked, Dick died and Mar'i went Berserk, got caught in the explosion of Brainiac's ship and the ensuing radiation and explosion of his advanced technology tore open a wormhole-like thing that she fell through and somehow landed in an Alternate Universe.

So...how is Mar'i's history similar to one in the game ATM? I thought that as far as Backstories go, losing your mother to an alien disease, having your father withdraw and then being raised by your emotionally challenged Grandfather, THEN fighting said father, THEN falling through a hole in the universe going back in time and to a different universe entirely was pretty unique. :P

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Aiden

I think that was a polite way of saying, we have enough Wayne Kid plots, try something else.

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on April 21, 2016, 03:19:21 PM
Again, that was gone over in her backstory. :-) Basically, Braniac attacked, Braniacs ship got wrecked, Dick died and Mar'i went Berserk, got caught in the explosion of Brainiac's ship and the ensuing radiation and explosion of his advanced technology tore open a wormhole-like thing that she fell through and somehow landed in an Alternate Universe.

So...how is Mar'i's history similar to one in the game ATM? I thought that as far as Backstories go, losing your mother to an alien disease, having your father withdraw and then being raised by your emotionally challenged Grandfather, THEN fighting said father, THEN falling through a hole in the universe going back in time and to a different universe entirely was pretty unique. :P

My issue is that I feel like this was a previously made character that is using the AU to kinda adapt to Gotham. I just wish there was more that could relate this character to the game, that way interactions would be a bit more genuine. Plus, we put a lot of thought into our characters to make something that works with the world, so when a potential new character comes in without taking a gander of how that may interfere with other characters--it's what makes me feel uncomfortable.

Also, consider this. Your character interacting with Bruce Wayne's potential children, but the current IC Bruce Wayne would know nothing, absolutely nothing of your character's world. Basically it nullifies your character's history and takes a bit of depth away.

Personally, that is how I feel.

Edit: Not that I am trying to be harsh, but if you want to join this game I want to make sure that you have characters that are willing to adapt and write with you. The way you've currently made your character--I just see so much conflict that would potentially destroy your enjoyment of the game. I think that with just a few changes, you could have a character that would work in this setting that everyone would enjoy writing alongside.

BruceTheCat

@Vergil, I sent you a PM! Check it out when you have a chance.
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Rel Mayer

But it is what it is. If you want to keep that character, go ahead.

Didn't mean to start an issue. Was just stating how I felt.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 21, 2016, 03:29:03 PM
My issue is that I feel like this was a previously made character that is using the AU to kinda adapt to Gotham.

This is true, but in my defence, Mar'i only appeared in a very short Comic Run...her personality wasn't exactly given the limelight, and there were only hints as to what she was like on a deeper, more layered level. So it isn't (at least in my opinion) a case of bringing an established character with loads of baggage in...it's just adopting a character that was kinda sorta canon but only appeared once or twice and giving her more attention.

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 21, 2016, 03:29:03 PMI just wish there was more that could relate this character to the game, that way interactions would be a bit more genuine.

I'm....not certain I understand this point. How would Mar'i's interactions with the other characters be "less genuine" due to her backstory?

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 21, 2016, 03:29:03 PMPlus, we put a lot of thought into our characters to make something that works with the world, so when a potential new character comes in without taking a gander of how that may interfere with other characters--it's what makes me feel uncomfortable.

Well...in a case of actual irony, I was actually trying to avoid interfering with everybody elses characters. I wanted to play Starfire's daughter anyway, but figured that the obvious eventual father would be Dick Grayson (which also led to me thinking "Why not just use the kid that was already kinda confirmed anyway?")...which would tie her to Bruce Wayne, when there's already a decent amount of Wayne-related kids floating around, so I went with the AU option to sidestep that issue. In the AU, she was indeed close to Wayne, but in this Universe, she literally doesn't exist without AU-Hopping-FunTM which means that none of the Wayne Kids have to change anything to accommodate her existence. That way, I get my Starfire Daughter and the Wayne Kids don't get anything treading on their toes or tripping them up or forcing edits.

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 21, 2016, 03:29:03 PMAlso, consider this. Your character interacting with Bruce Wayne's potential children, but the current IC Bruce Wayne would know nothing, absolutely nothing of your character's world. Basically it nullifies your character's history and takes a bit of depth away.

I disagree wholeheartedly; sure, it takes away the depth of "Oh look, we're sisters / cousins / aunts / Whatever," sure, but it adds a depth in a very different way; they're related to Wayne, which would ordinarily make them family...something that Mar'i has lost ALL of. Her mother, her father, her grandfather, the guy she was starting to grow attached to, her BFF's, EVERYBODY close to her...and now she's in an AU where all these people are alive. Well, most of them. Plus, she finds that in this AU, Wayne has been a bit...um... "Busier," so she TECHNICALLY has...what would they be? Aunts and Uncles, cousins? In any case, she technically has more relatives...except they've never met her before, they've never even heard of her before and she knows literally nothing about them. They're strangers wearing familiar skins. They're strangers with names that should be familiar to her, if she had only been born in a different Universe, and she can't bear the idea of going to see her surviving family and have them not know who she is. Imagine going to visit your mother - who died when you were little - only she has NO idea who you are. That would KILL me, I dunno about you. And she can't even really get close to the family she doesn't yet know easily, since that risks her then running into the family she's avoiding, so she has family nearby....yet it might as well be on the other side of the planet for all it matters. So it adds depth in that they don't know anything about her, and she's deliberately trying to keep her distance whilst constantly being drawn towards them despite how painful it will inevitably be for her. That, for me, adds a hell of a lot of depth and drama that I personally am looking forward to exploring. Even more awkward if one of them tries hitting on her. >.> XD

The problem with me removing Wayne entirely is that...well, I'd have to then rewrite ALL of her backstory to make it believable, since if Starfire died and Dick went mental (which, let's be fair, isn't exactly a stretch; he's never been the most emotionally stable person in the DCU), of COURSE Wayne would step in and say "No, I grew up as an orphan, I am NOT letting that happen to my adopted sons daughter." So taking that out would mean taking out Dick as the father, and...well, I've never really believed Starfire with anybody else. Oh, it's fun to write scenes with her opposite people like Aquaman and Beast Boy and whatnot, but in comics, I've always liked Starfire and Dick as a couple. But that's just my own personal bias talking. :P

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 21, 2016, 03:29:03 PMThe way you've currently made your character--I just see so much conflict that would potentially destroy your enjoyment of the game. I think that with just a few changes, you could have a character that would work in this setting that everyone would enjoy writing alongside.

What kind of conflict? I mean...I'm not intending to stir anything up and I don't mind her not really having many connections at the start of the game. Part of the fun is bouncing of characters and seeing how they interact. Are you saying that right now, you don't think that you would enjoy writing alongside her? If so...what kind of edits would you want to see made?

Rel Mayer

It's fine. I'll figure out how to make it work on my end.

I was just trying to find a middle ground, is all.

Vergil Tanner

Ok, I think that's a little unfair. The very last sentence of my reply was "what kind of edits would you like to see made?" I don't want to join this game already creating bad blood, I want to find something that satisfies everybody as well. I was just laying out my starting position on the matter.

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on April 21, 2016, 04:14:38 PM
Ok, I think that's a little unfair. The very last sentence of my reply was "what kind of edits would you like to see made?" I don't want to join this game already creating bad blood, I want to find something that satisfies everybody as well. I was just laying out my starting position on the matter.

I'd just suggest either thinking of a concept that you don't need an alternate universe to work in. We have so many Wayne plots, and so little characters--I just guess I suppose I'd like to see a bit more variety with characters. So that this game isn't running around with a ton of Bat-people.

Sorry, didn't mean to be short with you in the process!

Vergil Tanner

I can see that...there always seems to be an issue with that sorta thing, to the point where in a Marvel game I started recently (didn't last long, but for entirely different reasons) I had to put a Cap on X-Men, since...well, y'know. Ok, so...the kinda non-negotiable thing for me is almost certainly her being Starfire's daughter. I want to play Starfires daughter, and right now no other concepts really appeal to me. So-ooo....it was just the Wayne Connection that people had issue with, right? So how about....just spitballing here...Ok, so, I don't know what timescale it is in-game, but I still like the idea of AU-Hopping, since it kinda adds the whole "Fish out of water, isolated" feel to her, which she has to get over. BUT. What if....what if in her timeline, Bruce Wayne died when she was little, so she never actually met him. Maybe he and Dick were estranged, so he wasn't even her adopted Grandfather...then when Starfire died and Dick went off the rails, somebody else adopted her? Not sure who that would be - dunno who has been "claimed" and who hasn't, and who would be ok with having certain characters adopt her, but it could be anybody from Green Arrow to Martian Manhunter to The Flash. Hell, it could be her aunt, Blackfire, if that is the only thing that would work...so she wasn't adopted by Bruce Wayne, and was instead raised and taught by somebody else? Would that fix the issue?

Also, I do feel the need to point out that she has been in this Universe for about a year now. I left that section deliberately vague so I didn't mention anybody without permission, but what I tend to do with my characters is contact the other writers before I start and hash out some connections in terms of "Have they met, how did they meet, what's their relationship like, etc etc," so she has some pre-existing friendships and whatnot going in. So it isn't like she's going in completely cold; I intend to build connections with her, I just left that section deliberately vague to try and keep from mentioning anybody who might not want to be mentioned. :-)

Rel Mayer

Well, the cool part is, depending on who you have adopt her can change her play style and give her a bit of a connection and relating to the current universe characters.

Which is why I had an issue with the previous connection, because the idea has great potential for some fun in the game, but the character you had her tied to just made it a complete clusterfuck.

Does that make sense?

BruceTheCat

Hey guys,

Feel free to continue this discussion, but so everyone is aware I have asked Vergil to edit his backstory for Mar'i to remove the connection with Bruce.
- scribus1000

Aiden

Vergil Tanner

Well, I'm perfectly fine with having her be adopted by somebody else; Wayne was never the central part of her story, just the Dick / Kori thing. So the question is, who is actually available to adopt her? That's the next issue...see, I don't want to step on anybodies toes by saying "Ah, this person!" and having that player go "Fuck you." So...suggestions? I mean, any volunteers for having an AU version of a character connected to them adopt Mar'i....? I mean, Green Arrow, Manhunter, Zatanna, any character with a positive relationship with Dick or Kori could work, so....kinda lost now, haha.

Rel Mayer

I suggest going through the character sheets or taking a gander in the current thread that everyone is posting in Gotham.

We only have a handful of active players (Urban is too! But we're waiting for her to hop in), so it may give you a fun idea of how to mold the character for future directions and connections!

Vergil Tanner

I've gone through them, the problem is that I have no idea whether the players would be amenable to that sort of connection, y'know? I don't want to alter all the background and whatnot and then it turns out that THAT player has an issue with it...

Aiden

Vergil Tanner

Already on it. I have a pair of possibilities, so we'll just have to see.

Deathnote

Wait a minute... ooh... this could be fun!

Mari was basically born more than ten years into the future, correct?  She was thirteen when she was adopted.  That means the adoption took place twenty-three years into the future.

That means... one of our characters would've been old enough to adopt her!  XD

Vergil Tanner

LOL. That would certainly be entertaining in the short term, but that could get convoluted very quickly XD She was born in an AU (since if she was born in the future, that kinda railroads people into certain choices, or she ceases to exist, y'know? Much cleaner to have her come from a different universe), so I think I'm more liking the idea of a Canon Character adopting her, and then her encountering this person who has a connection to this Canon Character, so she feels a kind of pull towards them, but doesn't want to risk it, but can't help herself, etc etc. ATM, I see two options...Flash, and Superman. So, Deathnote...would you be ok with Connor's father being the one to adopt her? Hell, in this AU, she could have grown up alongside Connor, if you want, so she has to see her adopted brother in this timeline who doesn't know who she is. But that's maybe going a touch too far. :P