What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 22, 2011, 03:28:48 PM
Honestly, I never noticed the difference in difficulty in Crysis. I think I started playing it on normal, then switched to the highest after a little while my first time playing it, and didn't really notice much of a difference.
It does. Especially if you're trying to be stealthy. I guess it doesn't matter if you play it like Halo, but those buggers were all crack shots when I played on the hardest setting. Never misses a shot.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on March 22, 2011, 04:32:44 PM
It does. Especially if you're trying to be stealthy. I guess it doesn't matter if you play it like Halo, but those buggers were all crack shots when I played on the hardest setting. Never misses a shot.

Meh, that may just be a case of The Computer is a cheating bastard.

Hemingway

It might have been because I always used stealth mode. I got so good at popping out of stealth, I could basically kill anyone I wanted without consequence!

Wolfy

Argh...What do I do....do I go with Okami-Den, because I love Okami, or do I go with Oblivion GoTY Deluxe? D:...*sighs*

Hemingway

If you get Oblivion, you'll only find yourself wishing you were playing Skyrim.

Wolfy

lol...Probably. xD...I think I'll go with Okami, then. :p I love Okami! Must Support it!

Sabby

Meh, it's a Cry game. Farcry, Crysis... they all play identically, the only difference being your toybox. Crysis 2 ain't guna blow the world away with any of its gameplay, but it works well enough.

And it has an invisible mode... which cuts out the most annoying thing in every one of the Farcry games. "Hey, how ya doing?" "Oh, I'm fine, just... Bob, stay perfectly still" "Huh? o.O There a spider on my shoulder?" "Theres a dude in that bush, about 3 miles behind you" "Well, lets go kick his ass! >=D"

None of that here xD it actually reminds me of Arkham Asylums stealth challenges at time... you get spotting taking a soldier down, you sprint away, disappear, climb up and wait for the soldiers to stop unloading at your last spot and go check it... slip behind, knife the last guy, unload your silenced gun into their backs, disappear... appear behind last guy, throat grab, throw off balcony.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on March 22, 2011, 08:22:27 PM
Meh, it's a Cry game. Farcry, Crysis... they all play identically, the only difference being your toybox. Crysis 2 ain't guna blow the world away with any of its gameplay, but it works well enough.

And it has an invisible mode... which cuts out the most annoying thing in every one of the Farcry games. "Hey, how ya doing?" "Oh, I'm fine, just... Bob, stay perfectly still" "Huh? o.O There a spider on my shoulder?" "Theres a dude in that bush, about 3 miles behind you" "Well, lets go kick his ass! >=D"

None of that here xD it actually reminds me of Arkham Asylums stealth challenges at time... you get spotting taking a soldier down, you sprint away, disappear, climb up and wait for the soldiers to stop unloading at your last spot and go check it... slip behind, knife the last guy, unload your silenced gun into their backs, disappear... appear behind last guy, throat grab, throw off balcony.

So..it's worth buying at some point? :P

Sabby

Of course, but the games length and replayability is guna be a big factor, and I'm not far enough in to comment. These days, we're lucky to get 10 hours out of a shooter... remember Half Life 2? :( That shit was looooong, and had actual level variety.

Hemingway

I read some user reviews saying it was pretty short. I don't know what that means, considering the standard for FPSs these days.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 22, 2011, 09:00:49 PM
I read some user reviews saying it was pretty short. I don't know what that means, considering the standard for FPSs these days.
Yeah, the standard seems to be:

Tutorial Level, Yay, you've completed the tutorial. The single-player portion is now complete, GTFO and play multiplayer NOW!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

^Which really can only work for a PC shooter that lets you edit levels and create your own/download them from the community. Part of the reason why L4D2 is still going strong (And Counter Strike as well) is user created maps.

Inkidu

That's why I'm really looking forward to Rage. I'm so happy because you never here them talk about the games multiplayer. It's all about what Id has decided to do single-player wise.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on March 22, 2011, 09:38:02 PM
That's why I'm really looking forward to Rage. I'm so happy because you never here them talk about the games multiplayer. It's all about what Id has decided to do single-player wise.

Meh..I'm excited about Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

Which incidently...oooh Sabby...I needs a Co-op partner for it when it comes out....Portal 2, as well.

Sabby

Never heard of Hunted. Ya got 30 seconds to sell me.

Inkidu

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on March 22, 2011, 09:56:32 PM
Never heard of Hunted. Ya got 30 seconds to sell me.

Really?

Hunted: The Demon's Forge - Official Trailer

"Was that what I think it was?"
"If you think it was a giant eye, then yes."
"......Do you think it saw us?"
"It was a Giant. Eye."

Hemingway

I have my doubts about Hunted. My gut feeling tells me it'll either suck, or become disproportionately popular compared to its actual quality.

Sabby

Took a chance at a pawn shop and grabbed a PS2 game I'd never heard of (don't get much use from it, but theres SO many games almost all of my PS2 purchases are 'taking a chance')

Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

I start by watching a half hour cutscene that goes no where, and finally I get to play. Yay! I take 1 step forward. No, not one step, I lifted one foot up, and moved it forward, as if I would take a step. Cutscene.

...if you were going to make me watch another scene, why did you even drop me into gameplay in the first place? o.O Is this a trend with JRPG's? I noticed it in Lost Odyssey... 

Hemingway

You know how, in console games, movement is pretty precise, because the thumbstick is so, well, flexible? And how, in PC games, it's rarely that good, because pressing W half-way down doesn't make a difference? I mean, no surprises there.

It does suck, however, when you apply that to the driving mechanics of Saint's Row 2. There is no way of making neat little turns. Tap the button a split second too long, and you end up in the ditch. It's not a big deal most of the time, because the game doesn't really rely on your insane driving skills .. but it is frustrating when, for instance, you have to lower your helicopter just far enough down that people can grab onto it, and at the same time keep it still. I mean ... yeah ... yeah, that was ... frustrating.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on March 23, 2011, 08:22:19 AM
I have my doubts about Hunted. My gut feeling tells me it'll either suck, or become disproportionately popular compared to its actual quality.

Well, it's coming from Bethesda, along with Brink and of course Skyrim.

So there's hope. :P

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on March 23, 2011, 12:49:10 PM
Well, it's coming from Bethesda, along with Brink and of course Skyrim.

So there's hope. :P

Bethesda is only publishing it, though. You know, the same people who published Rogue Warrior - I think the lowest rated game on Steam. I'm just saying, just because it has their name on it, that doesn't mean it's going to be good.

Of course, that's not what I base my opinion on. When I watch the trailer, it just looks so ... so unoriginal, so completely devoid of anything genuinely interesting, I just don't know. I had the same feeling with Homefront, and look how that turned out.

Brink, on the other hand, looks like it's going to change lives.

Wolfy

Wait, how is Brink going to change lives? It's just another FPS in a Sea of FPS's, isn't it?

Hemingway

Well, for starters, you get to customize how you look. In my books, that alone is enough to make an MP shooter more interesting.

Probably the most interesting feature, though, is the parkour-ish system of getting around. It's sort of like ... Call of Duty meets Assassin's Creed. Meets Bulletstorm.

Wolfy

In First person?

...Hello Mirror's Edge...you didn't fair to well, did you? :P