Windows 7, admin approval?

Started by Blinkin, March 25, 2016, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Recently, I have started to hit a wall when I try to download or run new applications on my computer. When I try, I get something telling me that I require admin approval to do the task... as I'm the only user and this hasn't popped up before, I'm wondering what might of changed to start this and how to get around it. Either give myself admin privledges on my own computer, or some way to remove the requirement.

I've tried "Run as administrator" but that didn't work... and I have no further ideas, Anyone out there have any ideas?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Jezabelle

Do you have an administrator account on the computer in question?  Are there other accounts?  Did you do or install anything or visit any websites that behaved strangely before this began occurring?

Blinkin

As far as I know, I'm the only user on the system. The computer was a gift, but it was reformatted and everything installed from a clean windows install... so if there's an administrator account, I don't know about it.

I did upgrade my screen reader from Jaws 15 to Jaws 17, but don't see how that would effect admin access... Other than that, no. I was trying to reinstall an application that I had accidently uninstalled, and I got the notice for the first time then; when I tried to download it and when I tried to just run it from the site. It seems to be effecting everything that I try to install now.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

AmberStarfire

It could perhaps be malware, interfering with the permissions on Windows or the program has changed your settings.

It looks like there's an admin approval mode in Windows 7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows7/user-account-control-use-admin-approval-mode-for-the-built-in-administrator-account

It could be this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJPmspUSnMU

But I may be completely wrong about that.

Blinkin

It may well be malware as malware bytes is apparently doing the same thing as the install, even though it's been on the system for several months.

Oddly, AVG is unaffected... I need to figure out how to bypass the admin issue and get malware bytes to run... or find something that'll run from the browser as downloading another anti-virus isn't going to happen.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

AmberStarfire

You should have Windows Defender on your computer if you have one of the recent versions of Windows. Some of the antiviruses disable it, but you might be able to scan with it or update it first then scan with it.