News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Don't Rest Your Head!

Started by MadPanda, March 30, 2013, 04:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

(This is more or less AndyZ's fault...thank him, blame him, buy him a double singularity on the rocks at the Floating Vagabond, or gather 'round and watch him Snap, it's all good.)

"To begin with, you can't sleep.  That's bad enough, sitting around feeling like your eyes are full of sand and your head is full of fuzz, stomach burning from your fifteenth cup of coffee.  After the first thirty hours, maybe you start wondering if you'll ever sleep again.  But it isn't the worst part.  Nope, not at all.

See, now that you can't sleep, you can see a lot of things you wish really weren't there and go places that, let's face it, shouldn't exist.  And then there are all the other weirdos who come out of the woodwork 'cause they can't sleep either.  I won't go into the other things you run into: you'll meet them soon enough.  Now that you're Awake, they'll come looking for you.

Lucky for you that you've got a few tricks up your sleeve, eh?"

Don't Rest Your Head is a wicked little game from Evil Hat Productions about insomniacs with crazy super-powers struggling for survival in a city gone right off the the table and into somebody's pint of beer.

OOC is here.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=169721.0

Chargen, Rules Summary, and Cast is here.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=169726.0

Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Ray Banner

I adore the complexity and wicked exquisiteness of this idea, however due to my limited understanding when it comes to system RPs I can only shower praise and wish you gentlemen best of luck with this endeavor.
Ons & Offs - Ideas - A/A

"When" said the moon to the stars in the sky; "Soon" said the wind that followed him home. "Who" said the cloud that started to cry; "Me" said the rider as dry as a bone. "How" said the sun that melted the ground; "Why" said the river that refused to run. "Where" said the thunder without a sound; "Here" said the rider and took up his gun.

AndyZ

If you fill out the questionnaire for a character, I think Panda will help you out with all the system stuff.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

MadPanda

Yep.  I am perfectly willing to handle all the bells and whistles behind the scenes (so to speak).  They aren't that complicated so much as rather unusual.

F'r example--there is no way to outright kill a PC in this game.  No hit points!  No hit locations!  No Constitution or Endurance stats!  It can be done, but it usually requires the PC to do something potentially lethal first (like, say, throwing themselves out of an eighth story window into the teeth of a robotic dinosaur with woodchipper jaws...).

In Memory of Bishrook

Datawych

Hmm. I have to admit, this is a really interesting and original concept; never seen anything like it before. Got a character in the works, if you're still looking for people.

I'm in the same boat as Ray and Blythe, though. I'll need to see exactly how the dice system works before I do it myself. It seems a bit more confusing than most systems, but that may be because I don't have the sourcebook sitting in front of me.

EDIT: Well, I kinda just read the entire sourcebook sooooooo... Yeah, I get it now.  ;D

Blythe

I'm going to tentatively state some interest in this, but I might require some help with dice and mechanics if I don't have access to the book. I'm familiar with system games, but not this particular one...although the concept seems interesting. I can check around with a few friends to see if they have and might lend me a rulebook for it.

But what kind of posts (and how often) would you be expecting?

MadPanda

Mechanics are simple, although the bulleted nature of the summary may be a bit hard to read.

You (almost) always roll at least three dice: your Discipline pool.  For comparison, most normal mortals would roll only one die, two if they were highly skilled or experienced.

To this, you may add two more die pools: Exhaustion and Madness.  Exhaustion starts at zero and may go up by one every roll.  Madness may be any number from one to six.  (And just so you know, in order to use either of your Talents, you have to use the appropriate pool!)

Against this, the GM has only one die pool: Pain.

Any roll from 1-3 is a success.  If you have more successes than the GM, you succeed in your aim.

The highest die showing for each pool is its strength.  Ties cancel out.  Highest strength dominates the contest, with varying mechanical effects.  Yes, it is possible for you to win the contest, but to have Pain dominate.

Believe it or not, this works quite smoothly in practice, which is why I'm offering to handle the die rolls for anyone willing to trust my crummy luck with die rollers.  :-)

As for frequency, at least one post a week would be nice.

In Memory of Bishrook

Avalon29

This seems really interesting.  I'm not very familiar with system games but if you're willing to handle the dice rolls and don't mind answering any questions I might have about the system as we go along. I'd like to play this if you're still accepting players.

MadPanda

I think we have room for a couple more, yes.   ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Datawych

Whew... That took a lot more thinking than I was expecting it to. Btw that's a rather long post for me, as my intros tend to be longer than average.

MadPanda

No worries!  That was pretty darn good, as intros go.   ;D
My next response may be delayed, though, so take your time.

In Memory of Bishrook

Blythe

Hmmm. That does sound fairly simple. I'll whip up a sample sheet and PM it to you to see what you think.