News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What plot/story line can you never find a partner for?

Started by backlash84, August 04, 2014, 06:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suspires

Planescaaaape.

Not that I've tried recently, mind you.  But I love the setting so much that I want it to be a really good game, which means a partner who clicks well and is also interested in the setting, which means... it just kind of sits on the back of the ideas shelf, giving me that lizard-stare.

Thorne

Mmn.. Planescape....

Seems that anything setting based is scary, or intimidating or something. I get more bites for the unspecific stuff, some of which is just rehash of stuff in the setting-based plot-points.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

VonDoom

Planescape, man, I'd love to get to play that, but my standards are pretty high for it. A game with good, tight writing and plenty of philosophical implications, encounters and characters odd, unique yet compelling in being so.

Also Kindred of the East, Wraith the Oblivion and Mage the Ascension.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Zekromnomnom

I think for me, I often have trouble finding any partners for my non-specific ideas that are on the smuttier side. For instance, years ago I wrote with someone about a guy in high school who ended up having a tryst with his teacher. Which was pretty simple, even though we also threw in that she was a hermaphrodite. But the partner I had worked out a good bit of backstory with me and we actually never got to any of the smut, just story and buildup and it was an amazing game. But I have yet to find anyone else willing to work so much with me on such a simple idea. Although I realize I may be expecting a bit too much and that people may be turned off by how vague and simple and smutty some of my ideas appear to be.

Other than that, I have trouble finding people to play in certain fandoms with me. I tend to not like playing canon characters most of the time, but the few I am comfortable with, no one is ever interested in. Again, though, to be fair, with how little sleep I've gotten, literally the only one coming to mind for me right now is a Frog/Flea pairing from Chrono Trigger, which is just...extremely niche.

And I have to agree about settings, although I think some of it is my fault. I like playing in Forgotten Realms and WAY WAY more in Eberron, but I often have trouble sticking with it.

Lux12

Another group of plots I have that no one shows any interest in is one where the characters are married. It's not like I'm actually proposing to the partner in question, but it still doesn't get much interest.

Crimsonbella

Aside from what's already been said, I've had some fandom ideas on previous forums that were outright ignored. One inquiring mind asked me about my plot, and I felt I detailed it out along with the pairings I'm hot for fairly well. Their reply was literally "Oh that's nice. Well here's the OC I'd like to use." Needless to say things didn't get far.
Quote from: Lux12 on August 18, 2014, 10:42:50 PM
Another group of plots I have that no one shows any interest in is one where the characters are married. It's not like I'm actually proposing to the partner in question, but it still doesn't get much interest.
I've asked for that in other places as well, and not once did I ever get reply. The only thing that you could say came close was someone that wanted a pre-arranged marriage where they bride and groom never met before. It was...rather disappointing.
O/o Thread Slightly outdated.

Neysha

I'm down for Planescape. Doing a Planescapish one right now because I'm obsessed with crossover RPs and its a nice setting to explain the possibility of crossing into other worlds/fandoms.

Quote from: deadmanshand on August 06, 2014, 01:16:07 AM
My dream rp is to play out the life of a fighter. The ups and the downs. The sweat and the pain. Win or lose. Just realism. I don't expect to find it. I seem to be the rarity in the roleplaying community for my interest in such things.

I've done two MMA related ones waaaay back. On another website.  Its linked on my signature of past role plays.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

VonDoom

Well, if someone wants to start a Planescape thing, give me a heads-up and I'll be there ... unless fate conspires against me, of course.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Neysha

Like a group game? Sounds scary... DM'ing all of that... stuff. :p
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Chris Brady

An Iron Age comic book storyline.  Everyone looks at the Avengers and Captain America films and thinks that what comics should be like.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.  Just...  That's not all there is, you know?)

And I will FREELY admit and totally agree that most of the Iron Age stuff was shite, unmitigated, unforgivable crap that is better suited to a paper shredder than human consumption.  But the good stuff?  The good stuff was insightful, clever and sometimes even deconstructive in a good way without wallowing in pity, anger or otherwise overly emo behaviour.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Thorne

Examples, please!

And I second - third? - the Planescape thing. If someone gets it into their heads to start a round of that, I will play.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Lux12

Here's another. Any D/S situation that involves the sub being somewhat damaged in a psychological sense and the Mistress ends up trying to help them deal with their issues in the midst of all the kinky loveliness. I have two characters sort of built around this premise but most other times where I tried to play them, most people either wanted to hurt them in ways that were not pleasurable or were too vanilla. I'm as much a sucker for the sweet, tender stuff as I am the rough, kinky.

Also any plot driven scenario set in a world that is either set in 1.) An 18th century equivalent world 2.) A modern fantasy setting that is not Earth or any kind of alternate history. or 3.) Something set in an iron age world.

Twisted Crow

At the moment, I think any idea I have would either be too obscure or too "simple" for potential partners here. That and... video games.

deadmanshand

Quote from: Neysha on August 21, 2014, 10:28:28 AM
I'm down for Planescape. Doing a Planescapish one right now because I'm obsessed with crossover RPs and its a nice setting to explain the possibility of crossing into other worlds/fandoms.

I've done two MMA related ones waaaay back. On another website.  Its linked on my signature of past role plays.

Well... it's nice to know I'm not the only one interested in such games. And Planescape is my favorite setting of all time.

Twisted Crow

Can't seem to find a "superheroine in peril" angle... or at least. Not yet, anyway.

Zekromnomnom

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 21, 2014, 02:02:08 PM
An Iron Age comic book storyline.  Everyone looks at the Avengers and Captain America films and thinks that what comics should be like.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.  Just...  That's not all there is, you know?)

And I will FREELY admit and totally agree that most of the Iron Age stuff was shite, unmitigated, unforgivable crap that is better suited to a paper shredder than human consumption.  But the good stuff?  The good stuff was insightful, clever and sometimes even deconstructive in a good way without wallowing in pity, anger or otherwise overly emo behaviour.

I gotta admit, remembering which Age is which as far as comics go is a toughy for me. But actually, any kind of comic book or super hero game I ever want to go for never really works out for me. I think my ideas are always too vague or something, I dunno.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Thorne on August 21, 2014, 06:16:56 PM
Examples, please!
Were you talking to me?

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on August 22, 2014, 06:51:12 AM
I gotta admit, remembering which Age is which as far as comics go is a toughy for me. But actually, any kind of comic book or super hero game I ever want to go for never really works out for me. I think my ideas are always too vague or something, I dunno.
OK, Quick primer, now the dates can be on contention because most people can't really agree on when it really started but here goes:

The Golden Age was during the late 30's to the early, early 50's, it featured more fantastic stories, but it was a time of experimentation.

The Silver Age, also known as the Four Colour era (so named due to the colouring process that came in prominence, literally dots of four colours were used to make every colour.) was during the fifties to the late seventies.  It came about due to the outcry of parents unable to take responsibility for their own kids, and blaming comics for causing delinquency (sounds familiar?) and the Comic industry created a system to regulate themselves:  The Comics Code.  The best example of this era is the 60's Batman show, and Superfriends.  It lasted from the mid-50's to the late 70's, early 80's.

The Comics Code started loosening it's grip during the latter end of the 70's, as stories were allowed to get away with more mature issues, but the mid 80's is a where the Iron Age truly started and the code was more or less abandoned.  Comic 'Anti-Heroes' such as Marvel's The Punisher began to increase in popularity, as did DC's Watchmen.  At it's best it touched on things like drug abuse, sex, drinking and the use of violence and the consequences (good, but mostly bad) of such actions.  At it's worse, it broke down into an excuse for Super Ninja fueled ultra violence orgy, with blood and sex trying to mask itself as a mature story.  Sadly, there were waaaaay more of the bad, than the good.

But some of the good were things like female characters finally allowed to shine on par with their male counterparts more often.  The early Uncanny X-Men run with Christopher Claremont at the helm was one such advancement.  However, the later 90's had the, what I like to call the 'Guys with Tits' problem.  Where the female characters created were almost indistinguishable from the earlier male superheroes.  But a lot of the fans ate it up.

The thing is the 'current age' has had several names, but once you pick a name, the 'era' of comics is over, but at the moment we're on a 'Bronze' nomenclature.  Because we got elements of Silver and Iron, and some Gold, I the various stories.  But really, history will make it's own judgment.

Sorry for the length, but that's pretty much it without getting into the full minutae.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Zekromnomnom

Okay, so Iron Age is the one that I knew of but didn't know what was called. My friends who's spare room I rent have the Watchmen issues framed on the wall of my spare room. My bed's right next to them. And now I know what you're talking about. That makes sense and that's actually a time period I like, too, though I haven't read that much of it.

I kind of want to do a roleplay loosely based off of Old Man Logan. Where the
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
bad guys won and most of the known heroes are dead
and it would be about forming a new super team.

MiroKitty

It's been impossible for me to find anyone who'd be willing to play Trafalgar Law from One Piece. Either people ain't interested in the story or Law just isn't that popular... either way I'll be patient and positive :)

Beorning

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 22, 2014, 03:05:24 PM
The thing is the 'current age' has had several names, but once you pick a name, the 'era' of comics is over, but at the moment we're on a 'Bronze' nomenclature.  Because we got elements of Silver and Iron, and some Gold, I the various stories.  But really, history will make it's own judgment.

Actually, Bronze Age is the name for the time between Silver Age and Iron Age. Silver Age is considered to have ended sometime around 1970s... Kurt Busiek, for example, points at the death of Gwen Stacy as the moment when Marvel's Silver Age ended. So, early 70s to  early 80s? Bronze Age.

As for the Iron Age, one should look at early comics from Image to see Iron Age at its worst eccesses...  ;) Also, Cable? He's the Iron Age incarnate  ;D

Also, I'd like to point out that Silver Age had different varieties. Marvel's Silver Age and DC's Silver Age were a bit different when it came to the tone of those comics...

Chris Brady

Actually, I'd say Deadpool is Iron Age incarnate.  He's got it all.  Two Katana (cuz one is just so passé), at least two automatic weapons, more pouches than clothing, traumatic background, yet devil may care attitude and is a stone cold killer.  He's everything bad about the Iron Age, worse, people LOVE him for it.

As for Bronze Age...  Well, that's a point in contention, as several fans claims it happened, others claim it didn't, so on and so forth.  I avoid it because frankly, it's such a small time period, really.  And yes, the Silver Age was different depending on which studio, but one thing stayed the same, most topics that we'd consider barely mature was not touched or talked about in comics during that time.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 25, 2014, 02:03:08 AM
Actually, I'd say Deadpool is Iron Age incarnate.  He's got it all.  Two Katana (cuz one is just so passé), at least two automatic weapons, more pouches than clothing, traumatic background, yet devil may care attitude and is a stone cold killer.  He's everything bad about the Iron Age, worse, people LOVE him for it.

Isn't that kind of the point of Deadpool? He's a pastiche and parody of the Iron Age's defining traits, by taking them to absurd levels. I've never seen anyone who praised Deadpool for his 'grittiness' or 'realism' - people love him because he's an insane fourth-wall breaking goofball who bleeds black comedy.

As for the Ages - my only real guideline is TVTropes, but it describes the 80s-late-90's era as the 'Dark Age', leading into the 'Modern Age', and the 'Iron Age' encompassing both, everything from the 80's to now.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 25, 2014, 03:58:20 AM
People love him because he's an insane fourth-wall breaking goofball who bleeds black comedy.

Mind you - This is why plenty of us absolutely hate him too. :P

It seems that playing M/M stories featuring one or more 'femboys' or crossdressers, if you will, are going out of style too.. This makes me very, very sad. ._.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

mia h

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 25, 2014, 03:58:20 AM
As for the Ages - my only real guideline is TVTropes, but it describes the 80s-late-90's era as the 'Dark Age', leading into the 'Modern Age', and the 'Iron Age' encompassing both, everything from the 80's to now.
Not just TVTropes, but Grant Morrison calls it the 80\90's the "Dark Age" followed by "The Renaissance" when Hollywood realized there was money to made.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Lux12

Quote from: KaylaM on August 26, 2014, 08:13:03 AM
Me, I despise him. He was funny, once, briefly, and then Marvel overused him to death

See, for me, what I like is rugged, tough guy M/Ms. I seem to find that M/M is sissy girlyboys or nothing
At least around here, it seems hard to find anyone looking for "femboys" who want an M/F pairing. Since said characters comprise the bulk of my creations, it can be rather frustrating.