Werewolves: New Blood

Started by Valerian, May 25, 2010, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

The next day dawned grey and rainy, as though nature mourned the tragic events unfolding in the little village.  Indeed, this morning was no more promising than the last, for once again the life of an innocent Villager had been lost.  Alas, the town's baker, Ryven, was no more, and the werewolves were that much closer to claiming the valley for themselves once and for all.

• Aiden
  • Albedo
  • Beguile's Mistress
  • Esoteric Myobi
  • Imogen
  • Lord Mayerling - Villager, lynched, Day 1
  • Lucius Cornelius
  • Mithlomwen
  • Moirae
  • Remiel
  • Ryven - Villager, eaten by werewolves, Night 1
  • The Unholy Potato
  • Xandi

There are 6 Villagers, 1 Seer, 1 Guardian, and 3 Werewolves.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

The Unholy Potato

The Potato was slow to arrive in town, but when he did, he brought more than his usual bag of potatoes. This wasn't to say that said bag was absent, but that he also bore a grim, sad expression and a heavy shovel, which he propped against his shack. Upon the inevitable discovery of Ryven's corpse, he knelt beside it solemnly and silently for several long moments before returning to his feet and fetching the shovel. "Well?" he asked tiredly, "Where do we want him buried?" Upon recieving instructions of some sort, he oblidgingly carried the corpse to its final resting place and began digging.

Though he wouldn't state it openly, after the previous day's fiasco, the occasional passerby might hear him grumbling about that Remiel fellow.

Remiel

Remiel awoke with a start to find he'd fallen asleep in his chair again, his nose mashed between the pages of Maleficarum: Ars Lycanthropos .  With the painted woodcut of a particularly gruesome encounter between a werewolf and its victim smudged in mirror-image on his cheek, he blinked, yawned, and stretched.

Then his eyes went wide, and he panicked.  His hands went to his throat, while he looked wildly around for his cavalry pistol.  When he found his jugular intact, and his gaze fell upon the pistol next to a half-eaten muffin, he sighed a huge sigh of relief.

Of course, the fact that he lived through the night meant that someone else was not so lucky.  When the news got around that Ryven had fallen victim to the monsters, he accepted it with a grim expression.  "Ze monsterz muzt be stopped!" he vowed.

Then he heard Unholy Potato mumbling deprecations and casting accusatory glances his way.  "I know I seem suzpiciouz," he said, "but truzt me, I am not ein verevolf.   Sink about siz:  Vun -- I voted for neizzer Ryven nor Mayerling, boze uf whom vere proven innocent.  Obviouzly, zis doez not prove my innocence, but I vould just like to point out zat I could have eazily jumped on zer bandvagon for vun or zer ozzer.  Two,  I haff ein funny feeling zat at leazt one uf our verevolves iz zomevun who iz keepink very quiet.  Zomevun like, perhapz, Ezoterik Myobi, Albedo, or Luciuz Corneliuz.  Oddz are at leazt vun of zose tree (und maybe two) are our killerz."

Valerian

Current voting:

Albedo(3) - Remiel, The Unholy Potato, Mithlomwen
The Unholy Potato(2) - Moirae, Imogen
Remiel(1) - Aiden
Aiden(1) - Xandi
Beguile's Mistress(0)
Esoteric Myobi(0)
Imogen(0)
Lucius Cornelius(0)
Mithlomwen(0)
Moirae(0)
Xandi(0)

Yet to vote: Albedo, Beguile's Mistress, Esoteric Myobi, Lucius Cornelius

~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Autumn52

When the news reached Xandi that Ryven had been killed she sank to her knees, whispering, "not Ryven such a kind baker. Oh please not our beloved Ryven."

Xandi looked around the village with anger in her face. These monsters were killing her friends and as frightened as she was she was determined to stop this anyway possible.

Her eyes caught those of Remiel as he spoke of his innocence and she could see sincerity there. But if not Remiel who? She continued to look at the other villagers and saw something in Aiden's face, something she wasn't sure should be there, at least not in these circumstances. She cast her vote according to her conscience in hopes that they could begin to defend the village from the monsters.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Aiden

Another day and more bad news, Aiden did not care to gather around and participate in the theatrics of it all. The man had a house to build, but he did mull over who seemed capable of being a wolf.
Remiel knew to much for his own good, he was going to put his guess on that.

desert ashes

Unwilling to leave the relative security of her home, Moirae sent a messenger over with a note reading:

I suspect The Unholy Potato.
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

The Unholy Potato

The odd little potato-man nodded thoughtfully as Remiel explained his thinking. "Fair enough, mister Remiel," he grumbled eventually, "I do agree that I have some questions about Albedo's actions, and I can accept your claim somewhat better knowing that you are not casting suspicion back upon me. But de know that if it comes to pass that he is innocent, then I will once again allow my suspicions to fall upon you. I hope that that is understandable?" He raised his bushy eyebrows at the odd, scholarly man.

Imogen

Imogen looked between Remiel and The Unholy Potato, a man whose very name gave her the shivers. "Ryven was a kind and innocent man." She said softly. "If you think it is fitting, he may rest near Lord Mayerling. We must not forget them, and try even harder to find the wolves in sheep's clothing." 

She had to agree with Aiden that Remiel seemed to know an awful lot of the killings  but she wasn't ready to condemn him on his knowledge alone. For all she knew, his expertise might be their last hope... He was right that some of them had kept rather quiet, and she watched the silent ones cautiously. In the end, though, their silence didn't convince her, of guilt nor innocence.

After careful consideration, she moved a little closer to Remiel and lowered her voice. "I think The Unholy Potato changed his vote a little too quickly. Do you think he is hiding something?"
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Mithlomwen

Mithlomwen listened to the conversations going on,  trying to ascertain who might have some sort of insight as to who the evil doers among them might be.  "I shall vote for Albedo and hope that I've not cast my vote for an innocent." 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Albedo

"I'm affraid you guys are voting to lynch an innocent person. I know I may appear like the primary target. Afterall I come out of the woods every morning sometimes covered in blood carrying the carcass of a dear with me. Nobody ever really wants to talk to the lone hunter. But you people will be making a terrible mistake sending another normal villager to the gallows. That will just leave the werewolves to more of an advantage. I feel that The Unholy Potato felt threatened and cast a vote for me. I find that to be a little bit odd."

Valerian

Current voting:

Albedo(4) - Remiel, The Unholy Potato, Mithlomwen, Beguile's Mistress
The Unholy Potato(3) - Moirae, Imogen, Albedo
Remiel(1) - Aiden
Aiden(1) - Xandi
Beguile's Mistress(0)
Esoteric Myobi(0)
Imogen(0)
Lucius Cornelius(0)
Mithlomwen(0)
Moirae(0)
Xandi(0)

Yet to vote: Esoteric Myobi, Lucius Cornelius

~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Beguile's Mistress

Throughout the morning and into the afternoon Beguile walked about the village listening to first one accusation and then another.  Each villager she saw could be a horrible, murderous werewolf or simply the innocent that he or she appeared to be.  Accusing Ryven the previous day and learning she had made a terrible mistake appalled her.  The loss of Lord Mayerling under circumstances that she would have visited on Ryven tore at her soul and now he was dead as well.

Each pair of eyes she encountered was searched for that tell tale spark of madness that might give her a clue but these beasts were good at hiding themselves among the innocent.  Logic should be able to provide an answer but in these circumstances it was useless.  She would have to trust her instincts and hope they were reliable.  Beguile returned to her cottage to hide herself away but before she closed the door and locked it one word, a name, passed her lips.

"Albedo"

Albedo

Albedo shakes his head.
"You Beguile's mistress just like everyone else are making a huge mistake. If you kill me expect the werewolves to win because I will be another innocent man put to death."

The Unholy Potato

Some time that afternoon, the Potato approached Albedo cautiously. "I would ask your forgiveness, sir," he said somewhat wearily, "but Remiel has convinced me of his innocence, at least for now, and I find his logic to be reasonably sound. Furthermore, I have no particular wish to be executed for a crime which I haven't committed, and so I admit to having something of a vested interest in making sure that someone is selected over myself. I do not hold any particular grudge against you, and apologize that this entire affair has become necessary, but I cannot change what has happened."

His piece said, he would allow the other man a few moments to reply, and then, if none came, scurry quickly back to his house.

Albedo

"How do you think I feel sir? You think I want to be executed for a crime I didn't commit? Just because Remiel convinced you of his innocense doesn't mean the other town members who aren't even accused are not the wolves. And you sir have not exactly convinced me of your innocense as well. The fact that you are approaching me now to talk about this sounds kind of fishy to me."

The Unholy Potato

The odd little man just sighed and shook his head. "I was hoping that you'd humor an old man trying to free himself of his guilt before he died, but I understand why you are slow to forgive and quick to accuse. Just allow me to say that I'm sorry."

Having said his quick spiel, the man lurched back towards his home, eventually plopping down against the shack despondently. "Mmmph. So maybe I'll be next. So what? At this rate, we're all gonna die," he muttered hopelessly to himself.

Esoteric Myobi

Still shocked from the previous day's events, Myobi hesitantly stepped out of her cottage during the late morning as opposed to her usual routine of rising with the sun. By now, rumors, gossip, and accusations of all sorts were flying throughout the town.

As she went about her business, low and excited murmurs sounding on all sides, she was sorry to hear that The Unholy Potato was apparently one of the main suspects for the morning's unfortunate occurrence.

Still shaken, she had chosen not to visit Ryven's home for now, a rather strange change in her rounds that left her feeling somewhat empty. A fellow baker gone.

As the day melted from a fair morning to late afternoon, she finished her trip by visiting the newly turned graves. Graves. The plural made her heart sink, sitting heavily at the bottom of her stomach. It was here that she pondered the decisions that others had come to. Could it possibly by The Unholy Potato? She clearly remembered how he had been appalled at the sight of Remiel's small firearm as well as how her own heart seemed to stop from the surprise. No, it couldn't be...

Albedo was a rather mysterious figure who kept to himself. His clothes always seemed to carry traces of brown stains...but were they truly all from the blood of animals? She shuddered lightly at the thought, and bending down to place the last of her fruits at the side of the graves, began to slowly make her way back to the outskirts of town.

...I want to be your wet dream, your daydream, your only distraction...
~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

Albedo

Albedo sneered at the potato.
"If I recall you're the one who accused me first there is nothing to forgive."

Albedo shakes his head and heads to the gallows to wait for the executioner. No point fighting it if you guys want to make another mistake then that's up to you. Nobody cares about the lone hunter, and I can't seem to shake your opinions anyways. I hope you'll all be pleasently surprised when there are still three werewolves running around and only five of you to fend for yourselves.

Remiel

After listening to Albedo and Unholy Potato put forth their arguments, Remiel could not shake the feeling that he had chosen wrongly.  The feeling grew and grew, until at last, he cried out--

"I cannot do zis!  Zis is not right!"  He removed his glasses, and mopped his brow with a handkerchief pulled from his vest pocket.  "I vish not to zend anotter innocent man to hiz grave.  Zere is zomethink about Albedo zat convincez me he iz innocent.  No, I zink it iz Aiden, not Albedo, whom ve must not trust."

Valerian

Current voting:

Albedo(4) - The Unholy Potato, Mithlomwen, Beguile's Mistress, Esoteric Myobi
Aiden(2) - Xandi, Remiel
Remiel(1) - Aiden
Beguile's Mistress(0)
Esoteric Myobi(0)
Imogen(0)
Lucius Cornelius(0)
Mithlomwen(0)
Moirae(0)
Xandi(0)

Yet to vote: Lucius Cornelius

~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lucius Cornelius

sorry still too shocked by the events that happens in our little town i have been crying in my hub all these days, but now i really think that ALBELDO sure must be one of the killers.

Remiel

"Zomevun else muzt shoot him, zen," said Remiel, resolutely. "I vill not do it." He held out the pistol to any who would take it.

Valerian

Final voting:

Albedo(5) - The Unholy Potato, Mithlomwen, Beguile's Mistress, Esoteric Myobi, Lucius Cornelius
Aiden(2) - Xandi, Remiel
Remiel(1) - Aiden
Beguile's Mistress(0)
Esoteric Myobi(0)
Imogen(0)
Lucius Cornelius(0)
Mithlomwen(0)
Moirae(0)
Xandi(0)

So it was that Albedo was sentenced to die by firing squad, over all his protests of innocence.  And those protests were sincere, the town soon learned, for Albedo was an innocent Villager, whose death only weakened the cause of the innocents.  It would be another frightening night for the villagers, barricaded behind their doors....

There are 5 Villagers, 1 Seer, 1 Guardian, and 3 Werewolves.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Beguile's Mistress

Another life taken needlessly, Beguile thought to herself as the the crack of the rifles drifted away in echoes across the town.  She sat in her pretty cottage cursing herself for her cowardice.  Her self recriminations grew worse when she learned Albedo had been innocent.  Two lives lost to the monsters who had torn their throats and two more to be laid at the feet of those same werewolves even though their own friends had been the ones to sign their death warrants.

Going to the door she took a shawl from a peg and wrapped it tight around her as though warding off a chill though the day was warm before stepping out of her door.  She moved beyond the threshold and stopped, not knowing which way she wanted to go.