Must See movies of 2011

Started by Callie Del Noire, January 05, 2011, 12:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Well this one is DEFINITELY one.. I'm a big Simon Peg/Nick Frost fan. (Loved Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz)

Paul Movie Trailer Official

Diabolus Lupus

HRH, awesome definitely gonna see. My only real comment is, of course Sigorney Weaver is gonna be in a movie about aliens.

Cybrewaste

Driving angry looks like a really really bad movie.

So bad It might actually be funny. :D
Need a new RP? Swing by my RP request thread

Check out my Ons and Offs!

Haven't received a reply and you're not sure why? There may be a reason! [Updated - 30/6/15 AEST ]

Posts owed: [6/7]

Sinful Intention

I'm there!  Dragging some friends too.  Shaun of the Dead was very good and Hot Fuzz was just freaking genius in it's spoof on action comedies while still being original.  Now their doing the alien thing, I love it!

Crazymaniscrazy

Wow! Hadn't seen that preview yet but I love all their previous work.

I expect it to be bad, but I'm really excited to see Sucker Punch just for the spectacle of it.
Recently resurrected!

Callie Del Noire

Zack Snyder is doing it, so I'm curious to see how it goes..

And for those who haven't seen it yet...

Sucker Punch - Official HD Trailer by Zack Snyder

Bentley

Huh. I will see Sucker Punch.

Also in March is a movie called The Adjustment Bureau. It reminds me of Inception, but the similarities make me want to see it more.

Aiden

pavshia

Say what you want about me, but I can't wait for Thor and Captain America.

Callie Del Noire

Thor - Trailer (OFFICIAL)

Still nothing but teaser pictures on Cap. (figure they'd have SOMETHING by now.. but no..)

pavshia

Thanks for posting the trailer, I couldn't figure it out. I was surprised too that the Cap trailer isn't out yet. The movie is supposed to open this summer. Weird. Could be good. I am really looking forward to them bringing all of them together in Avengers.

AtlasEros

Quote from: pavshia on January 17, 2011, 11:07:04 AM
Say what you want about me, but I can't wait for Thor and Captain America.
I knew there was a Thor movie coming but I hadn't heard about Captain America, who's playing him?

I'll also be looking forward to seeing those movies.
O/O

Callie Del Noire

Chris Evans (aka Human Torch) with Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith/Elrond) as the Skull

AtlasEros

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 17, 2011, 01:26:52 PM
Chris Evans (aka Human Torch) with Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith/Elrond) as the Skull

Thanks, that's odd to me that they'd have someone play two different super heroes.
O/O

Callie Del Noire

No more odd than the choice they put out for the Green Lantern (who was supposed to recoup his role as Wade/Deadpool)

Sinful Intention

Must see in 2011:

The Adjustment Bureau. 

Battlefield LA:

Sucker Punch.

Paul

Thor

Green Lantern

Captain America

Cowboys and Aliens

I think there are a few others but those are the top of my list.

Oniya

For some reason, I kept confusing 'The Adjustment Bureau' (which is based on a story by Phillip K. Dick: 'The Adjustment Team') with Heinlein's 'The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag' - which is coincidentally also slated for a film version in 2011.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jated

Quote from: Sinful Intention on January 22, 2011, 06:24:38 AM
Must see in 2011:

The Adjustment Bureau. 

Battlefield LA:

Sucker Punch.

Paul

Thor

Green Lantern

Captain America

Cowboys and Aliens

I think there are a few others but those are the top of my list.

I completely agree with all of these...great choices!!

Diabolus Lupus

I am Number Four.

For a movie based on a book, it wasn't bad.

Mithlomwen

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Diabolus Lupus

Caeli

I saw the trailer for Beastly when I watched Black Swan, and it really made me want to go watch it!

Not sure if I'll go see it in theaters, but I definitely plan on seeing it this year. I'll wait to see how the reviews are, and then maybe wait until it shows up with discounted showtimes after it premieres. :-)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Aiden

Quote from: Caeli on February 10, 2011, 10:45:39 PM
I saw the trailer for Beastly when I watched Black Swan, and it really made me want to go watch it!

Not sure if I'll go see it in theaters, but I definitely plan on seeing it this year. I'll wait to see how the reviews are, and then maybe wait until it shows up with discounted showtimes after it premieres. :-)

If you have an AMC in the area, their matinees are only 6 bucks and if you join the movie club online you get free popcorn on Wednesdays.

Dizzi

Quote from: Sinful Intention on January 15, 2011, 01:32:42 AM
I'm there!  Dragging some friends too.  Shaun of the Dead was very good and Hot Fuzz was just freaking genius in it's spoof on action comedies while still being original.  Now their doing the alien thing, I love it!
Yeah, but they were both directed by Edgar Wright.  this is not.

Quote from: Cybrewaste on January 13, 2011, 02:41:46 AM
Driving angry looks like a really really bad movie.

So bad It might actually be funny. :D
I saw a scene online that was release.  Nick Cage.  Having sex with a woman.  And in a gun fight at the same time.  Wow...

Hemingway

Hmm. True Grit hasn't been released here yet ( not until ... tomorrow! ), so ... does it count?

Because aside from that, looking over the list of this year's movies ( admittedly, the list I looked at might be incomplete and inaccurate ), there really is nothing that manages to excite me to the point of "must see".

Miss Lilly

Just saw Unkown with Liam Neesom.  Excellent! *thumbs up*
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Callie Del Noire

Nadir

They need the Misfits to give them a hand.

Diabolus Lupus

Gotta throw a few more up here. ^^

Beastly- Is really good
Rango- Looks funny
Hop- Looks funny in an animated furry creature kinda way

Callie Del Noire

little princess

I really want to see paul and beastly

Wolfy

Paul and Rango are definite must sees. :D

Morrowclaw

I wanna see Sucker Punch, Take me home tonight and Real Steel.

Real Steel Official Trailer (2011) - HD
Partly for the hell of it
Solely out of boredom
Mostly for the story

Callie Del Noire

Mithlomwen

I cannot wait to see Green Lantern. 

There are so many movies I'm excited about seeing.  Cowboys vs. Aliens, The new Transformers, the new Fast and Furious,  the final Harry Potter, The Eagle looks really good....I could go on and on and on....

So many movies....so little time! 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Yanagrl

For those of you with Sucker Punch on your list:  I saw it last weekend and I LOVED it.  I thought it was amazing. <3  I saw it in IMAX so it was really intensely loud, but I think I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

Also, I can't wait for Thor! <3

Wolfy

Hopefully, I'll be going to see both Arthur and Your Highness tommorow. :D

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Yanagrl on April 07, 2011, 02:52:12 PM
For those of you with Sucker Punch on your list:  I saw it last weekend and I LOVED it.  I thought it was amazing. <3  I saw it in IMAX so it was really intensely loud, but I think I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

Also, I can't wait for Thor! <3

I liked it.. but it was  a bit sad when consider what is REALLY happening when she is 'dancing.'

Belle33

Recommendations:

Sucker Punch:  I love it when the women kick ass.  The fight scenes are fantastic.
Limitless:  I'm a Bradley Cooper (yumm) fan - this is an interesting look at one's potential.

Looking forward to:
The Priest:  This looks like nothing I've ever seen before.  Vampires, Cowboys, Monks....sounds good.
Green Lantern:  Two words, Ryan Reynolds, I could care less if the plot is interesting
Final Harry Potter (though I wanted Hrry and Hermoine to end up together)
Arthur:  This looks to be so funny - I think it starts tomorrow - so yay!

Ons/Offs, Stories & Poems, Currently Not Available for RP

Oniya

For all those interested in Arthur:  This is a remake of a 1981 movie starring Dudley Moore and Liza Minelli.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082031/  It's probably already available on Netflix and other movie rental sources.

ARTHUR (1981): Best That You Can Do *Arthur's Theme*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Wykyd

Belle ~ I have to agree with you...Bradley Cooper - YUM! I can't wait to see Limitless!

I also want to see the new Red Riding Hood movie. It looks very sumptuous!

Wolfy

Quote from: Wykyd on April 08, 2011, 09:08:02 PM
Belle ~ I have to agree with you...Bradley Cooper - YUM! I can't wait to see Limitless!

I also want to see the new Red Riding Hood movie. It looks very sumptuous!

It's Twilight 4 with a different name.

:D

Also, for anyone interested:

http://blip.tv/play/AYKq_BIC
http://blip.tv/play/AYKrwRwC

Bum Reviews for Red Riding Hood and Rango.

Morrowclaw

Partly for the hell of it
Solely out of boredom
Mostly for the story

Diabolus Lupus

For those that are interested, Arthur was good really funny. And of course Fast Five is awesome. I recommend sitting through the credits if you have an inclination to leave as soon as they start rolling.

Callie Del Noire

Thor.. nice.. for those who go.. STAY FOR THE CREDITS.

Wolfy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 06, 2011, 02:04:08 AM
Thor.. nice.. for those who go.. STAY FOR THE CREDITS.

Well duh...there's always something after the credits in the marvel movies. :p

Jag

I know it's not everyone's type of movie, but:

Atlas Shrugged Trailer

It opened April 15th, 2011...so awesome. For those that don't know, Atlas Shrugged is a novel by Ayn Rand. It was her longest (1,368-pages) and last novel. It's an amazing novel and part 1 of the movie was fantastic. The movie is going to be 3 parts. It was in 'development hell' for 40 years before the movie was finally made.

So many gave it bad reviews because they said they didn't 'understand' the film. I really don't think it's something you can understand till you read the book or wait for all three movies to come out. Also, a lot of people gave it bad ratings and reviews because it's Ayn Rand. I really think that's a poor reason to try and drag a movie down.

I really encourage people to see this movie.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Wolfy

Actually, because of the bad reviews, and how poorly it actually did (And is doing), there probably won't be more movies.

Jag

From what I heard, they are still pushing forward with the other two. I see no reason why people thought it was a bad film. Almost every review I've seen bashing it has been because of Ayn Rand. This movie has been 40 years in the making and they were given a small budget to work with. Despite the reviews, it is pulling in money even though it's only being shown at limited theaters.

innocenceportrayed

Fast five was amazing. I absolutely loved it as did my boyfriend who swore he'd hate it. "I wanna see Rio" -stomps feet-. He's such a child sometimes, I swear. Haha. Anyway.

Also, I kinda wanna see the new pirates of the caribbean. KINDA.
Keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

gaggedLouise

Saw Black Swan earlier this week - it's a movie I knew I wanted to see from the point I heard about it, but didn't find the time until now. It's ummm...very good, quite interesting and Natalie Portman certainly deserves her Oscar - regardless of any discussion about who did what in the dancing scenes, that's not really important. (She was even better in V for Vendetta though!)

It's a very stylized film and it stretches some things to the limit, even counting in artistic license. I would have liked it to be a bit less obvious in its use of sexual metaphor - I have no trouble with outspoken or "graphic" films but the way Black Swan makes Nina's quest as a dance artist go toe to toe with some very pose-y scenes makes it look as if the film is saying she needs to get lost in a haze of dionysiacal ecstasy to really make it as a ballerina, and that this is a general point about artists. To me that feels like devaluing the long-term commitment, the technical and/or personal striving involved in whatever art you're pursuing, and it's also a point of view that seems to excuse Thomas: in the end he's just doing what any man in his position could be expected to do if this is it, and after all isn't he the one who makes her take the leap forward? Actually, no serious real world choreographer (except a very disturbed one) would order his new lead ballerina to go home and fidget herself to better get into the part - that looks like a cheap move not just by him but by Aronoffsky as a film director.

The mother feels like almost a cardboard figure too, and all the women in the film are more or less doubles of Nina: they embody various aspects to contrast with her. That's a deliberate trait I think, but at many points the film looks muddy when it comes to just what is the nature of the obstacles Nina is trying to break through. It's an engaging film, and great to watch, but not really as outstanding as it's been hyped to be.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

Ah.. Kung Fu Panda 2.. got my Po fix for the next few years... The Fat Panda strikes again.

Kuroneko

Priest was awesome.  It was like Firefly with vampires, lol. 
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Anjasa

I really want to see Hanna, actually. As said above by someone else - I love kick ass women!

And the final Harry Potter movie.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Anjasa on May 31, 2011, 04:55:00 AM
I really want to see Hanna, actually. As said above by someone else - I love kick ass women!

Hanna was quite good.

"ah.. my old enemy.. Stairs!" Po, Kung Fu Panda 2

Caeli

I would actually like to see My Week With Marilyn, whenever it comes out (it's supposed to premier in 2011, but I haven't seen an actual date for release yet). It seems it got a warm reception at Cannes, and I like several of the actors.

Plus, I just love drama films. :)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Callie Del Noire

X-Men: First Class was good.. no teaser at the end.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Caeli on June 01, 2011, 06:11:16 AM
I would actually like to see My Week With Marilyn, whenever it comes out (it's supposed to premier in 2011, but I haven't seen an actual date for release yet). It seems it got a warm reception at Cannes, and I like several of the actors.

Plus, I just love drama films. :)

Naomi Watts is filming as Marilyn Monroe in Blonde (after Joyce Carol Oates), it's supposed to be out next year. I can't wait to see it, she was made for that part. She has both the looks and the vulnerability and insight. Her first Oscar?

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Belle33

Thor:  I enjoyed the first hour more than the last.  Once they get to small town Earth, I lose a little interest - still - a shirtless Thor redeems the entire movie for me.  :P

Something Borrowed:  Call me girly, this was a great little treasure - I can't believe the bad reviews it got.  I was with the only guy in the theater and we both laughed from beginning to end. 

Jane Eyre:  Wonderful film, though Timothy Dalton is still my favorite Rochester. 

FYI - Those post credit scenes are called stingers.  You can find out if a film has a stinger by checking one of many sites listing them. http://moviestinger.com/  I usually forget to check until credits are rolling - thank you smart phones :)

SinfulBliss

X-men first class was really good. IT ANSWERED ALL MY FUGGING QUESTIONS!

I also saw Thor, me being the comic book Nerd I am, I was slightly disappointed with the movie.

And I am HELLA excited for green lantern...my number one favorite super hero...and I am gay for Ryan Reynolds

Anjasa

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed X-Men: First Class. I figured I'd hate it, because I usually really dislike prequels. But I thought it was good. The actor that played Magneto was awesome, too, so that helped.

SinfulBliss

Magneto was played perfectly, if he was screwed up somehow they would have to have felt with my nerd rampage. And...Emma Frost was pretty hot too :)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: SinfulBliss on June 11, 2011, 05:33:06 PM
Magneto was played perfectly, if he was screwed up somehow they would have to have felt with my nerd rampage. And...Emma Frost was pretty hot too :)

Still dont' see why they need her to be 'diamond telepath', why couldn't folks stick with the orginal 'hot chick telepath' bit from her first appearance with the secondary of 'more money than god'.

Hideyori

Less than a week til Cap. I'm so excited. I decided I would do a dramatic reading of Civil War: The Confession to my group pre-movie. All goes well, not a single eye will be left dry.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mob say. Doesn't matter if the /whole country/ decides that something wrong, is something right. This nation was founded under one principle above all others - The requirement that we stand up for what we believe in, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the /whole world/ tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world, "No. /You/ move."

Syauglan

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 14, 2011, 05:01:19 PM
I have no trouble with outspoken or "graphic" films but the way Black Swan makes Nina's quest as a dance artist go toe to toe with some very pose-y scenes makes it look as if the film is saying she needs to get lost in a haze of dionysiacal ecstasy to really make it as a ballerina, and that this is a general point about artists. To me that feels like devaluing the long-term commitment, the technical and/or personal striving involved in whatever art you're pursuing, and it's also a point of view that seems to excuse Thomas: in the end he's just doing what any man in his position could be expected to do if this is it, and after all isn't he the one who makes her take the leap forward? Actually, no serious real world choreographer (except a very disturbed one) would order his new lead ballerina to go home and fidget herself to better get into the part - that looks like a cheap move not just by him but by Aronoffsky as a film director.

Interesting Louise. I like and have actually lived the idea that Dionysian...absorption? can allow creative potential to flow with power and grace, especially if a great deal of energy has built up over time. Long term commitment to art or athletics can involve a partial or more complete sublimation of sexual energy. Its the lack of ordinary sexual release that can often provide the motivation to strive so hard for so long. All the fuel has to go into performance or practice. Its a little risky though; has the potential to upset the balance of physical or mental health. I relate the legend of Icarus to this.

Anyway, I thought Black Swan explored the above themes quite well but I agree with you that Thomas trying to encourage her to become more overtly sexual was dumb. I thought his character was a disaster because of that. I would have written him so differently.

Jag

Not sure if this one has been posted yet, but I'm actually very happy to see the reboot of this series:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes Movie Trailer 3 Official (HD)

Let's hope it's really as good as the trailer makes it look. I loved watching these movies when I was younger and hopefully this will be better than Tim Burton's version of the first one.

Also, I have a feeling Tom Felton's character is going to be killed.

Ravenhawk

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 03, 2011, 02:02:58 AM
X-Men: First Class was good.. no teaser at the end.

That's because the X-Men films are not being done by Marvel, and are not part of the big buildup to Avengers. Both Ironman movies, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor have had teasers, and I'm assuming Captain America does as well.

In fact, I think the newest tv trailer for CA shows a bit of the teaser at the end.

LunarSage

So now that Fast Five has (presumably) been seen, was anyone disappointed as hell?  I heard really bad things though I haven't seen it myself. 

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: LunarSage on July 29, 2011, 03:13:49 PM
So now that Fast Five has (presumably) been seen, was anyone disappointed as hell?  I heard really bad things though I haven't seen it myself.
I got what I expected.. A heist movie, with the Rock, Vin and company.

It was pretty good. (better thank 2 &3 I thought).

Diabolus Lupus

Quote from: LunarSage on July 29, 2011, 03:13:49 PM

I enjoyed it. pretty much what it was touted to be Vin and crew pulling off a robbery. With some tuned up cars and millions of dollars worth of property damages. One of the best parts was the teaser for a sixth movie.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Diabolus Lupus on July 29, 2011, 07:54:44 PM
I enjoyed it. pretty much what it was touted to be Vin and crew pulling off a robbery. With some tuned up cars and millions of dollars worth of property damages. One of the best parts was the teaser for a sixth movie.

I usually ask this question.. 'Was it better than anything by Uwe Boll?"  If the answer is yes, just sit back, suspend disbielf and enjoy some time off and relax.

LunarSage

Uwe Boll?  Wasn't he a basketball player?

Oniya

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093051/

The only movies on his IMDB list that I've heard of are the Bloodrayne movies and 'Postal'. 

Kuroneko

There are two teasers in Captain America.  One at the end of the film itself, and one at the end of the credits.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

LunarSage

Sadly it looks like the franchise is going to be going fully Ultimates-style.  I'm a sad panda.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: LunarSage on July 30, 2011, 02:01:22 PM
Sadly it looks like the franchise is going to be going fully Ultimates-style.  I'm a sad panda.

Only in that they are put together by SHIELD. I mean you got the initial villain of Loki, who will be manipulating things behind the scenes.. (which is how they originally formed in the comics)

LunarSage

I'm talking visually.  Hawkeye's costume on the Avengers movie poster is blatantly Ultimates, as is Cap's (I only pray they keep Cap's personality more akin to his 616 character rather the Ultimate "I'm just as much of a bastard as anyone else" version), and if the trailer at the end of Captain America is to be believed,
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Thor will have his capeless, sleeveless glowy-chestpiece Ultimates appearance as well. 

The only Avenger that won't look like they stepped out of Ultimates is Iron Man, and I've even heard whispers that they may change his armor to the Ultimates version for Avengers.  Very disappointing considering everything up to this point has been pretty solidly 616 stuff (not to mention I loathe Ultimates with a burning passion).

Callie Del Noire

Of all the Ultimate (and Ultimate comic) titles, I will admit that that the Ultimates/Avengers are the least favorites.. now that Marvel has killed off Peter Parker in the Ultimate-verse, I'm doubting I will be following the line much longer. I disliked the 'older smarter Stark brother' and 'Original gangsta hulk' stuff they added to the Ultimates.

Of course killing off Doc Strange and countless others in the senseless way they did irked me too.

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 30, 2011, 02:45:37 PM
Of all the Ultimate (and Ultimate comic) titles, I will admit that that the Ultimates/Avengers are the least favorites.. now that Marvel has killed off Peter Parker in the Ultimate-verse, I'm doubting I will be following the line much longer. I disliked the 'older smarter Stark brother' and 'Original gangsta hulk' stuff they added to the Ultimates.

Of course killing off Doc Strange and countless others in the senseless way they did irked me too.

Just remember:  In the world of Marvel, you're not dead until they try to bring you back and fail.  And the votes are still out on whether that's the real end.

http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/swil/FILKS/filkbook1.html#37

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on July 30, 2011, 02:51:44 PM
Just remember:  In the world of Marvel, you're not dead until they try to bring you back and fail.  And the votes are still out on whether that's the real end.

http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/swil/FILKS/filkbook1.html#37

Unfortunately they (Marvel) have stated in the Ultimateverse, dead is dead. (Though there are several instances where folks came back) They have said anyone that died during the Ultimatum event is dead, dead, dead. (ie.. No more Wolverine, Prof X, Angel, Doc Strange, Magneto, Cyclops and the rest of the dead)

Oniya

I suspect that will change when it becomes financially advisable to bring someone back.  There's always 'advanced cloning techniques' and any of a number of other contingencies in the comic world.  Someone will say 'Remember that one guy?  He was pretty popular.  Let's put him into a story line to boost sales.'  'Oh - we killed him off back in issue #1324.'  'Well, why don't we say that...'

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on July 30, 2011, 03:12:16 PM
I suspect that will change when it becomes financially advisable to bring someone back.  There's always 'advanced cloning techniques' and any of a number of other contingencies in the comic world.  Someone will say 'Remember that one guy?  He was pretty popular.  Let's put him into a story line to boost sales.'  'Oh - we killed him off back in issue #1324.'  'Well, why don't we say that...'

Well that will have to be when Bendis gives up on it.

Anjasa

Quote from: Oniya on July 30, 2011, 12:14:14 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093051/

The only movies on his IMDB list that I've heard of are the Bloodrayne movies and 'Postal'.

House of the Dead is the best/worst movie I have ever, EVER seen.

House of the Dead Movie - Part 6/9 is pretty much the best scene ever (well, it starts at the end of part 5. It lasts a really, really long time; the song even loops.)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Anjasa on July 30, 2011, 04:07:30 PM
House of the Dead is the best/worst movie I have ever, EVER seen.

House of the Dead Movie - Part 6/9 is pretty much the best scene ever (well, it starts at the end of part 5. It lasts a really, really long time; the song even loops.)

Can't see it where I live. Which, given it's Uwe Boll isn't a bad thing.

Here is the secret of Uwe Boll. He produces movies that can't help but fail. By failing his backers get a tax write off, which is where they make their money on it. (Don't ask me how.) He uses some part of the German tax code to do it that I don't understand.

He's also an ego centric maniac who is puffed up by his own self-worth, though I don't know why. He's stated in the past that he'd fight any published critic in a boxing match, though I heard he was very selective about whom he picked, since he knew how to box. He's bad mouthed several more successful directors. He's also made several promises to stop making movies if enough folks signed a petion and so forth. He's a total whack job. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Boll

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 30, 2011, 04:24:34 PM
Can't see it where I live. Which, given it's Uwe Boll isn't a bad thing.

Here is the secret of Uwe Boll. He produces movies that can't help but fail. By failing his backers get a tax write off, which is where they make their money on it. (Don't ask me how.) He uses some part of the German tax code to do it that I don't understand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Boll

Max Bialystock: Don't you see, darling Bloom, glorious Bloom? It's so simple. STEP ONE: We find the worst play ever written, a surefire flop. STEP TWO: I raise a million bucks. Lots of little old ladies out there. STEP THREE: You go back to work on the books, two of them - one for the government, one for us. You can do it, Bloom; you're a wizard! STEP FOUR: We open on Broadway. And before you can say STEP FIVE, we *close* on Broadway! STEP SIX: We take our million bucks and fly to *Rio!*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on July 30, 2011, 06:04:05 PM
Max Bialystock: Don't you see, darling Bloom, glorious Bloom? It's so simple. STEP ONE: We find the worst play ever written, a surefire flop. STEP TWO: I raise a million bucks. Lots of little old ladies out there. STEP THREE: You go back to work on the books, two of them - one for the government, one for us. You can do it, Bloom; you're a wizard! STEP FOUR: We open on Broadway. And before you can say STEP FIVE, we *close* on Broadway! STEP SIX: We take our million bucks and fly to *Rio!*

I think that most of the folks that do that game don't claim to be the brightest things since sliced bread though. Boll has a major ego problem. He says he should be the one to make a Metal Gear or Halo movie.

Wolfy

Captain America is a Must see.

Cowboys vs Aliens....eh. >_> Apparently it's too boring a movie for the concept at hand...it manages to make old west cowboys vs high tech aliens boring, which should be nigh impossible.

See, you go in expecting John Wayne vs The Predator, and all you get is..boredom. o3o

Jag

[noembed]Hugo Cabret Trailer - Thanksgiving 2011[/noembed]

I loved the book so much. I hope the movie ends up as good as the book.

Violence

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 31, 2011, 02:40:58 PM
[noembed]Hugo Cabret Trailer - Thanksgiving 2011[/noembed]

I loved the book so much. I hope the movie ends up as good as the book.

^.^; I didn't know it was based on a book, but I remember seeing the trailer when we went to see Harry Potter and turning to my friend and saying: "Is it gay that I wanted to see this as soon as I saw Jude Law?"

It looks like a pretty charming movie, and if nothing else it felt very unique watching the trailer.  Visually and atmospherically, I mean.
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Jag

Quote from: Violence on July 31, 2011, 04:57:50 PM
^.^; I didn't know it was based on a book, but I remember seeing the trailer when we went to see Harry Potter and turning to my friend and saying: "Is it gay that I wanted to see this as soon as I saw Jude Law?"

It looks like a pretty charming movie, and if nothing else it felt very unique watching the trailer.  Visually and atmospherically, I mean.

The book was visually wonderful too.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.

QuoteWith 284 pictures between the book's 533 pages, the book depends equally on its pictures as it does the actual words. Selznick himself has described the book as "not exactly a novel, not quite a picture book, not really a graphic novel, or a flip book or a movie, but a combination of all these things."

Leighdy here on E did a review of the book for April/May 2011's Herald & Post: Book Reviews.

Violence

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 31, 2011, 05:12:02 PM
The book was visually wonderful too.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.

Leighdy here on E did a review of the book for April/May 2011's Herald & Post: Book Reviews.

Between that and Let the Right One In, it seems like a trip to the bookstore is in order for me.  Or at least an extra tab open to Amazon or something.  I intend on seeing the movie, the trailer was captivating.  I wonder then if it would be a better idea to wait till after the film to read it, though, in case they mess something up? *ponder*

On the topic of movies, though, I still need to wrangle some friends to go see Smurfs with me... ^.^;; my brother just laughed at me when I asked. >.>;
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Jag

I saw Smurfs last night. I went by myself because no one would go with me. I liked it, but then I rarely have anything bad to say about a movie unless it's really, really bad acting and a bad story. Smurfs was a nice trip back to my childhood and one of those 'turn your brain off and just laugh' movies.

As for Hugo, my husband bought me the book for Mother's Day. I tore through it in less than a day and I've gone back to it several times just to look at the drawings and the detail in them. I wouldn't wait till after the movie, but that's just me.

Violence

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 31, 2011, 06:08:12 PM
I saw Smurfs last night. I went by myself because no one would go with me. I liked it, but then I rarely have anything bad to say about a movie unless it's really, really bad acting and a bad story. Smurfs was a nice trip back to my childhood and one of those 'turn your brain off and just laugh' movies.

As for Hugo, my husband bought me the book for Mother's Day. I tore through it in less than a day and I've gone back to it several times just to look at the drawings and the detail in them. I wouldn't wait till after the movie, but that's just me.

Smurfs was kind of a recaptured part of my childhood a few years ago.  I'd leave it on Boomerang on the Satelite TV while I was working in a Video Store (back when people still rented from those *laughs*).  That's pretty much exactly what I expect out of the movie, coupled with a healthy dose of self-parody.  So I'm glad to have at least that much of a possitive review.

I probably will read it before then, I'm sure.  My class schedule starts back up soon and I like to have stuff to read between classes or for when I get there early.  I would just hope that it wouldn't make me enjoy the film less.

For example, I can't imagine how much of a pain in the ass I must be to watch Stardust with...

Jag

I have about 60+ episodes of Smurfs on my DVR. My daughter and I watch them together. We bought her (and secretly me) all the McDs Smurfs toys (which are now in Happy Meals) and she sets them up and stomps through them going 'rawr'. I <3 Smurfs. Gargamel made the movie. *nods*

I think the Hugo film looks really good from the previews. Very visually nice, just like the book. So I don't think it'll be an issue for this one.

Violence

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 31, 2011, 06:25:01 PM
I have about 60+ episodes of Smurfs on my DVR. My daughter and I watch them together. We bought her (and secretly me) all the McDs Smurfs toys (which are now in Happy Meals) and she sets them up and stomps through them going 'rawr'. I <3 Smurfs. Gargamel made the movie. *nods*

I think the Hugo film looks really good from the previews. Very visually nice, just like the book. So I don't think it'll be an issue for this one.

My favorite episode is the one with the mind-control rings... just because the entire thing confounds me. *laughs*  To be fair, though, Gargamel kinda made the show, too.

Well, I will trust your recommendation and pick it up, then. ^.^ I really do need to read more new stuff, instead of just re-reading Fight Club for like a fourth time...

Anyalyss

Paul was realy funny, I liked it too :p Anyway, from the top of my mind...

- Super 8 (loved it, Elle Fanning is very talented!)
- Cowboys and Aliens (went a few days ago with my SO, it was good except for a few nasty alien killing scenes, but oh well)
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (*hides*)
- Johnny English Returns (it looks like lots of fun! here is the trailer)

Johnny English Reborn - First Trailer
O&O's    A&A's

Diabolus Lupus

Fright Night. Yep they remade it with Collin Farrell and Anton Yelchin (He was Chekov in JJ Abbrams Star Trek). Was actually a pretty good, I got passes to a free 3D showing.

The trailer for those interested...
Fright Night Movie: Trailer Premiere

Jag

I saw the trailer for that. I'm always iffy on vampire movies. Anton Yelchin was also the voice of Clumsy Smurf for the Smurfs movie! Which is, surprisingly, where I saw the preview for Fright Night. Didn't think they would show a preview for that in a kids movie. *shakes head*

Diabolus Lupus

maybe because they don't show much if any blood in trailers, and they also don't so the scene of the guy bemoaning leather's lacking of breathing while he tugs at the crotch of his leather pants.

and I thought the fact that Anton was Clumsy Smurf was amusing when I read that last night.

coolhands

That is awesome, I didn't know they were making a new Johnny English movie.  I am super excited for it now.  The first movie is so funny, it is one of the few movies that i can watch as many times as I want and find it funny every time.

Anyalyss

Yup! *giggles* he's just sooo much fun, I was dissapointed when Rowan announced that he would no longer play Mr. Bean, but, at least he's going to play mr. English again! ^^
O&O's    A&A's

Diabolus Lupus

Columbiana very good in my opinion.

Lady Kalypso

Oniya

Is it too early to put in the 2012 movies?  Because...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 06, 2011, 08:43:44 PM
Is it too early to put in the 2012 movies?  Because...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/
I was wondering what that was about. I saw it previewed for both Captain America: The First Avenger and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Both of which I recommend as must-see movies.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

I liked the Mars books a lot more than the Tarzan books.  I even wanted to make my own Martian chess set.

Missy

Slaven

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 31, 2011, 06:08:12 PM

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought so. I found Smurfs absolutely fantastic. I went with my gf and a ton of our friends about a month back and we all loved it. I don't get how so many people complained about it. Actually, most of the people complaining didn't even actually grow up with the show..
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Elfboi1337

I havn't heard much about anything except "The help". Anyone see it?

meowpiepanda

Quote from: Michi No Sora on August 05, 2011, 05:42:42 PM
I saw the trailer for that. I'm always iffy on vampire movies. Anton Yelchin was also the voice of Clumsy Smurf for the Smurfs movie! Which is, surprisingly, where I saw the preview for Fright Night. Didn't think they would show a preview for that in a kids movie. *shakes head*

Out of curiosity are there vampire movies you've particularly liked?  I think mostly what I tend to re-watch are certain fun cheesy ones with plot.
Ons and Offs     A/A

vtboy

The pickings in 2011 have been awfully slim, but "The Debt" was terrific, edge-of-the-seat suspense. Especially good was the first gynecologist scene -- can't remember when I've been more creeped out by something on screen.

Slaven

I'm picking up Thor tomorrow. :D Saw it in the theaters and loved it.
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Chris Brady

Thor I need to get, as will Captain America, once it's out on BR or DVD.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

tsc

Quote from: Kuroneko on May 30, 2011, 10:58:35 PM
Priest was awesome.  It was like Firefly with vampires, lol.

Glad to see someone else liked Priest.  I know the critics hated it, and it didn't do well in theaters, but it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is:  a simple story where the badass hero kicks monster ass around.  I liked the vampires -- they were something original, instead of the same old slight-variant-on-the-usual vamps.

Sure, I saw all the plot twists coming a mile down the road, but it wasn't trying to be a movie with a complicated and innovative plot.  For what it was, I found it good.

Chris Brady

So Priest was just an action flick?  Nothing overly complicated?  Sounds good to me!  Will have to look for this one.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Belle33

Tonight, I saw Real Steel starring Hugh Jackman :P  and I'm pleased to recommend it. 

Movie going is such a nice escape.  You go, you sit in the dark with a lot of strangers.  You watch a movie that doesn't really add anything to your life.  And you leave, $20 or so poorer. 

This experience was something else.  Nothing life altering.  Just a good story, well cast, and well constructed.   

You want characters with some meat on their bones?  Done.

You like action? Done

You want to laugh?  Yes

You want to dance?  Got it

This film handled the integration of larger than life robots into the daily lives of people in a playful and interesting way.  I was pleasantly surprised, and almost found myself clapping with the rest of the audience when it ended....(almost - I'm not sure what the point of clapping at the movies is... but - yay for audience enthusiasm). 

It's a great little distraction and, yes, Hugh Jackman fans will not be disappointed. 

Jag

*saw Real Steel yesterday*

It was nice. Not prolific in any way, but nice and cute.

Hugh Jackman shirtless is always worth it. *nods* Even if it's only for a minute or two. *nods again*

Anyalyss

My SO and I watched Horrible Bosses (2011) last night, it was sooo funny, I recommend it :-)

Crazy, Stupid, Love was "ok", a movie that you can watch for a few laughs, I just expected more.

The Three Musketeers (2011), I don't know, I went blind to watch it and it was a bit shocking to see it as a mix of Resident Evil/Master and Commander (with flying ships) and others *giggles* The movie doesn't takes itself seriously so that always causes a few laughs, it's also fun to watch in its own strange way, oh! and Milla is in the movie, kicking ass as usual (her hubby is the director).
O&O's    A&A's

Belle33

I enjoyed Crazy, Stupid, Love - I think I'm benefiting from low expectations - because I've been pleasantly surprised a lot this summer.   

Ryan Gosling has my attention - he was fantastic in Drive and certainly makes me want to take a look at Ides of March (not that I needed a reason beyond Clooney)

The Help and The Debt - both great .. catch them if you can.