The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainNexus616

I heard Gambit was cancelled in general because Tatum was screwing that up so much. Maybe if we are lucky Tatum will be killed off quickly in Kingsman 2
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Scott Eastwood pops to mind. Taylor Kitsch to reprise the role

Inkidu

No see MCU has played very much toward the sciency side. I mean it's not hard science fiction or anything, but the terragen crystals are definitely considred bio-mutagenic alien artifacts.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 15, 2016, 09:19:51 PM
Scott Eastwood pops to mind. Taylor Kitsch to reprise the role

Nothing against Kitsch, just seemed too scrawny (Gambit may be lean under all that stuff he normally wears, though, I'm not sure). Not sure who Scott Eastwood is, I'll have to look that name up.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Scott Eastwood is Clint Eastwood's son. I haven't seen him anything, he's pretty new. The wardrobe Taylor Kitsch had for the movie wasn't exactly the best. A few other names which come to mind, Alex Pettyfer, he's pretty capable of doing action since he was the lead in I Am Number 4.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 15, 2016, 10:07:39 PM
Scott Eastwood is Clint Eastwood's son. I haven't seen him anything, he's pretty new. The wardrobe Taylor Kitsch had for the movie wasn't exactly the best. A few other names which come to mind, Alex Pettyfer, he's pretty capable of doing action since he was the lead in I Am Number 4.

But can he do a good creole accent without sounding as bad as Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen trying to do a fake Eastern European accent in Age of Ultron?

Sasquatch421

Scott Eastwood has used the name Scott Reeves... He's been in Gran Torino, Flags of our Fathers, Fury, Texas Chainsaw 3D, and The Longest Ride. He just got done with Suicide Squad and he's signed onto do Fast 8....

I liked Taylor Kitsch as Gambit myself, and wouldn't mind seeing him with the cards again....

Mathim

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on April 15, 2016, 10:26:54 PM
Scott Eastwood has used the name Scott Reeves... He's been in Gran Torino, Flags of our Fathers, Fury, Texas Chainsaw 3D, and The Longest Ride. He just got done with Suicide Squad and he's signed onto do Fast 8....

I liked Taylor Kitsch as Gambit myself, and wouldn't mind seeing him with the cards again....

Hmm...never seen any of those. Not going to see Suicide Squad either, unless I can see BvS for free beforehand.

And as long as he does the cards properly this time (and the staff and any number of other things) then I'll be happy. Just doesn't seem like they need to make a movie revolve around him alone.

Sasquatch421

With Gambit's past I think they have enough for a solo movie. Just using the rivalry between the Thieves' Guild and the Assassin's Guild could fuel a flick. Then of course there was the whole arc where Gambit put together a team for Mister Sinister, because Sinister got Remy's powers under control. Be a perfect way to set up a certain Morlock Massacre...

Actually now that I think about it I might have the perfect villain for Michael Keaton to play if he says yes to Spider-Man: Homecoming... Put him as the Jackal and set up the Clone Wars story line.

Mathim

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on April 15, 2016, 10:52:52 PM
With Gambit's past I think they have enough for a solo movie. Just using the rivalry between the Thieves' Guild and the Assassin's Guild could fuel a flick. Then of course there was the whole arc where Gambit put together a team for Mister Sinister, because Sinister got Remy's powers under control. Be a perfect way to set up a certain Morlock Massacre...

Actually now that I think about it I might have the perfect villain for Michael Keaton to play if he says yes to Spider-Man: Homecoming... Put him as the Jackal and set up the Clone Wars story line.

I've heard rumors about him being Vulture (if he hadn't already played the Mandarin, my friends were really rooting for Ben Kingsley) or Chameleon. Could also be Mysterio. Or even J. Jonah Jameson.

Far eyes

What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

SapphireStar

Chameleon would be better for Keaton.

Wouldn't be the first time an actor has played more then one character in a comic book universe. Chris Evans played Johnny Storm before Captain America. Ryan Reynolds played Hannibal King in Blade: Trinity. Ray Stevens played Frank Castle/Punisher in Punisher: War Zone and played one of Thor's allies (I forget his name, but he has the long red hair and beard).

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 16, 2016, 11:46:21 AM

Wouldn't be the first time an actor has played more then one character in a comic book universe. Chris Evans played Johnny Storm before Captain America. Ryan Reynolds played Hannibal King in Blade: Trinity. Ray Stevens played Frank Castle/Punisher in Punisher: War Zone and played one of Thor's allies (I forget his name, but he has the long red hair and beard).

Reynolds was also two different versions of Wade Wilson/Deadpool and Hal Jordan/Green Lantern. And you're thinking of Volstagg, Ray Stevens' character from the Thor movies.

Inkidu

Reynolds was also kind of blackmailed into Origins Failpool. They told him you do it now or you do it never. So he played the long game.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

CaptainNexus616

At least it worked out. Origins was retconned out of existence and the solo film was a huge success. I got hand it to Fox for picking when to release to theatres it was pretty freaking clever.

They released it on a holiday when people are more likely to go to see movies but did so where they avoided competing with the MCU films. Plus it was also a holiday where there was nothing else really worth seeing in theatres. Pretty clever marketing if you ask me.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 16, 2016, 01:30:27 PM
At least it worked out. Origins was retconned out of existence and the solo film was a huge success. I got hand it to Fox for picking when to release to theatres it was pretty freaking clever.

They released it on a holiday when people are more likely to go to see movies but did so where they avoided competing with the MCU films. Plus it was also a holiday where there was nothing else really worth seeing in theatres. Pretty clever marketing if you ask me.

After all their fuck-ups, though, I hate that they're being rewarded for it, especially after slashing the budget at the last minute and taking so long to greenlight it.

Far eyes

It kind of always struck me as weird that people liked Xmen First Class, I always felt it was such a noting of a movie and it has some truly bleh characters. I did not think it was as bad as X3 but it was rather luke warm in my opinion. I actually never ended up seeing the last one.

What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on April 16, 2016, 03:54:08 PM
It kind of always struck me as weird that people liked Xmen First Class, I always felt it was such a noting of a movie and it has some truly bleh characters. I did not think it was as bad as X3 but it was rather luke warm in my opinion. I actually never ended up seeing the last one.

I liked First Class well enough if only because it showed the origin of the founder of the X-Men and went more in-depth with Magneto and how someone of his radical ideology could have ever become friends with Charles. At least it didn't completely butcher so many characters like X3 did. It was certainly more action-y than Wolverine Origins (or The Wolverine, for that matter.) Some of the characters were a bit bland, mainly Emma Frost, and also the other two Hellfire Club dudes, but I liked almost everyone else. It was certainly a step in the right direction after X3 and Wolverine Origins. Let's hope Days of Future Past doesn't give them an excuse to get lazy with Apocalypse.

SapphireStar

First Class had its moments, despite some character inconsistencies. The highlight of the movie was Hugh Jackman's cameo as Wolverine in the bar  O:)

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 16, 2016, 07:25:38 PM
First Class had its moments, despite some character inconsistencies. The highlight of the movie was Hugh Jackman's cameo as Wolverine in the bar  O:)

LOL, yes, and they made it totally connect to Days of Future Past, too, so it wasn't just a throwaway!

Far eyes

I guess my main problem with it was that it felt like a lot of characters were throw away, and they were obviously throw away. Like black token kid with the mutant powers of getting killed off to show how badass another is... wooo... good job there writing team. Of betrayals that felt a lot like they happened because it said so in the script right here.

I liked bits of it, i am not saying it was bad it just kind of felt like they had a few bits and then the end and then they kind of played connect the dots with the script rather then telling an actual story. I like the Xmen a lot theoretically but in practice so far most of the movies have left me feeling quiet disappointed.   

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on April 16, 2016, 07:42:40 PM
I guess my main problem with it was that it felt like a lot of characters were throw away, and they were obviously throw away. Like black token kid with the mutant powers of getting killed off to show how badass another is... wooo... good job there writing team. Of betrayals that felt a lot like they happened because it said so in the script right here.

I liked bits of it, i am not saying it was bad it just kind of felt like they had a few bits and then the end and then they kind of played connect the dots with the script rather then telling an actual story. I like the Xmen a lot theoretically but in practice so far most of the movies have left me feeling quiet disappointed.

Yeah, that did bug me. Like I almost thought they were going to do that YET AGAIN on Agents of SHIELD recently, but luckily that wasn't the case. But as far as origin stories go, it's far from the worst, especially in that series. Shaw's plan was a bit shite, though. I mean, unless all mutants are completely immune to radiation poisoning like the human population, Shaw's going to have to wait a hell of a long time for the earth to repopulate enough to provide mutants to serve him, and by then there'll probably be tons of mutants who could kick his ass.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Mathim on April 16, 2016, 07:53:20 AM
I've heard rumors about him being Vulture (if he hadn't already played the Mandarin, my friends were really rooting for Ben Kingsley) or Chameleon. Could also be Mysterio. Or even J. Jonah Jameson.

I think most have Keaton pegged for Vulture due to him as Batman, Birdman and being like 65 years old. Toomes is what? In his 70's I think? I did see some list where they said Carnage or Morbius, but that might be a stretch... I do think Sony has the rights to Werewolf-by-Night though, so if they could find someone to play Morbius we could get a Legion of Monsters movie. No, Frankencastle though...

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 16, 2016, 11:46:21 AM

I think so too... Perhaps he could get into that Pacific Heights, Desperate Measures mindset again...

Mathim

Vulture or Chameleon, even in tandem, would hardly be a worthy challenge for Spidey. Mysterio and Chameleon, perhaps, since their powers both involve false images. But I heard it was supposed to be Kraven (not necessarily Keaton in that role, though) and that just made no sense since anybody not endowed with Super Soldier serum has to be so watered-down that it's pointless for them to even challenge someone with actual powers (look at Batroc trying to mess with Cap in TWS.) I really, REALLY don't want to see a third Green Goblin (well, fourth technically if you count both Norman and Harry in the Raimi movies). Or should I say, I don't want to see the Goblin done in the third attempt at the franchise. Scorpion, in my opinion, would be the most worthy foe, similar origin for the powers, natural predator of the spider, but with enough to set him apart (no spider-sense, no webs, and a stinging/blasting/acid-shooting/whatever-doing tail). Maybe even throw in a Spider-Slayer or two.

BTW, how long has Amber Heard been cast as Mera, wife of Aquaman? Did I miss something? You'd think I'd have seen that on imdb sooner. Also, apparently former Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, Willem Dafoe, is also joining the Justice League, as a good guy (but which one? Surely not Shazam...) Oh, and Karl Urban is rumored to be playing Ocean Master/Orm in the Aquaman movie.