Log Horizon: Living in the Database (RECRUITING)

Started by Sabre, March 29, 2014, 07:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnightNelson20

So common consensus is pointing towards starting from the beginning of the apocalypse but "possibly" in a different server. And most likely starting as a guild for easier interaction/reason for interaction.(?)

My only thoughts are that without giving us a starting level its not to say any of the high level characters wouldnt have rank or status or be known within the game. Even within the anime many of the characters have rank and accomplishments even before being trapped within. Without planned "event" plots. it would be hard for individual characters to reach their own goals. With that in mind I wouldn't say it isn't possible for pms to be sent to gm's regarding sideplots and progression. All in all it still depends on how we are going to play the situation at hand. Embracing it and charging head first. Or taking it day by day and simply hoping to find a way out.

Sabre

Okay, so:

Setting:  Northern Europe (Britain, Low Countries, Germany, and Scandinavia).  Assume majority of players (and NPCs) speak English, even if they're not British or Americans. 

Characters:  Either natives or visitors from anywhere in the world for whatever reason, such as chasing some rumor that the new expansion has a new, amazing quest in this region somewhere.  For character levels there could be some options:

a) Everyone is level 90.  Advantages - everyone is powerful and can ignore most physical threats they meet, but it would also trivialize many possible quests or encounters except those suited for their level.

b) Everyone plays two characters, one at level 90 and one at a lower level.  Level 90s focus on different aspects of the game than the lower level characters.  Might get chaotic.

c) Everyone is level 50-70 or thereabouts.

A handful of characters start in the same guild, perhaps only the GMs and everyone else joins up as extra support, or everyone is part of the guild. 

Thoughts?

Quote from: KnightNelson20My only thoughts are that without giving us a starting level its not to say any of the high level characters wouldnt have rank or status or be known within the game. Even within the anime many of the characters have rank and accomplishments even before being trapped within.

I'd like characters to be more like Akatsuki, Nyanta, Shiroe, and Naotsugu than Krusty or Soujirou.  The former group are veterans and may have a few raids under their belt (or not at all) earning them a special item, but otherwise they're just like any other player of equal experience.  Characters may have an uncommon but still generic title or subclass, but unlikely to have classes like Sword Saint or other unique rewards that the most powerful and renowned players usually have like the major guild and raid party leaders.

Edit:  One question - if we do move the setting from Japan, what do we rename Samurai and Kannagi?

Latooni Subota

ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

pendarious

well let me know when you actually decide on the level thing and i'll change my characters stories to match the new setting
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Sabre

Would everyone prefer a level 90 start?

QuoteKnight and Monk/Nun?
Your Paladin and Cleric idea is also nice.

pendarious

I personally am all for playing two characters (in fact only playing one character kind of drives me batty considering I've long gotten used to controlling multiple characters) one level 90 and one lower level.

I will still change their stories to fit in with the chosen setting though when I know what the final decision is.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

Latooni Subota

Regardless of choice, I'll only play the one character.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Saric

Quote from: Sabre on April 12, 2014, 02:40:42 PM
*snip*
a) Everyone is level 90.  Advantages - everyone is powerful and can ignore most physical threats they meet, but it would also trivialize many possible quests or encounters except those suited for their level.

b) Everyone plays two characters, one at level 90 and one at a lower level.  Level 90s focus on different aspects of the game than the lower level characters.  Might get chaotic.

c) Everyone is level 50-70 or thereabouts.

A handful of characters start in the same guild, perhaps only the GMs and everyone else joins up as extra support, or everyone is part of the guild. 
*snip*

I'd like characters to be more like Akatsuki, Nyanta, Shiroe, and Naotsugu than Krusty or Soujirou.  The former group are veterans and may have a few raids under their belt (or not at all) earning them a special item, but otherwise they're just like any other player of equal experience.  Characters may have an uncommon but still generic title or subclass, but unlikely to have classes like Sword Saint or other unique rewards that the most powerful and renowned players usually have like the major guild and raid party leaders.

Edit:  One question - if we do move the setting from Japan, what do we rename Samurai and Kannagi?

I'd personally prefer A or B, leaning toward A. I'd also like to point out that both the show and the light novels point out people having difficulty fighting even monsters 60 or 70 levels lower then them simply because it's now 'real life'.

Personally I'm planning on being in an American guild to start and deciding, along with the guild master, that it's not safe or practical to try and make it home and I should join a local guild for support until/if things change. Don't worry, he'll get attached fairly quickly. ;D

I'd like to point out that Soujirou earned his special title in the Tea Party, which is also where they all got their Griffin whistles. For that matter the appearance changing potion Shiroe had was part of a promotional event, you just had to have been playing at the time to get one. We're not talking about having a dozen titles each or our own guilds, or even top tier gear, but a max level character will pick up such things just from being around that long. That is just like every other max level character. It's the personalities, goals, and the focus of the show and the books that makes them stand out... well that and being led by Black Heart Glasses. On a side note some of the title subclasses just require you to meet some goal, others can only be held by a limited number of players at a time, they are not all created equal. So being a Dragon Slayer (which is not number limited) is a lot different then being a Sword Saint (which is).

The standard form of the Samurai is Pirate, but Western Europe (which is the server region listed) uses the Paladin. The Kannagi is the Medium standard but Western Europe has the Exorcist instead. Furthermore the Cleric is replaced by the Templar. If we go by the Official alternative class table seen here.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

On an unrelated note, in the light novels Shiroe mentions that there are "about fifty" subclasses, but that he doesn't know them all. He also states that other servers have their own, some of which they make up entirely rather then re-skinning. Just a side note.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Sabre

A useful list, thanks.

As for titles I'm fine with uncommon titles, but wary on the very rare ones for the power they might present.  If they're mostly roleplay classes however that would be just fine.

For now I'll go with choice A - level 90 - and but everyone is free to make a lower level alt.  If we have enough players with secondary low level characters then we'll be able to include them into the game.  Wouldn't want to have jut one or two low level players right?

pendarious

I wouldn't mind using my lower level character either way....it makes for some amusing character development and such.

Edit: I've changed my characters stories a little bit and Changed one of the characters real names as well.

Vaulera

I would be interested in playing this game if there is still room! I don't however, know too much about the game itself, if that is acceptable, so I may need a bit of hand-holding.

Sabre

Welcome to the group!  We're glad to have you even if you're new to the setting.  Since we'll be starting from the beginning there won't be much to catch up on that won't be explained.

Latooni Subota

Sephora

Is this rp dead in the water?  :C  Please say no! 

Sabre

Not yet it ain't!  Sorry I went quiet for the past few days, had a big move and still recovering from the jet lag and all the bills, papers, chores, and more that piled up and waited to attack me.  Give me a few more days and I'll be back on my feet, caught up, and ready to get this show on the road.

Sephora

Glad to hear it!  And congrats on the move.

A few days should be more than enough time for me to finish the last four episodes and create a pair of characters to add to your team.  ^_^ 

Saric

Is there any chance we can get dedicated character sheets?
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Vanetias

Will be busy, exams coming up. You guys can start first if you want.

Latooni Subota

April/May is always rough with college stuff, allergies, stomach flus, etc