RampantDesires

Today's word of the day is....

riposte
noun rih-POHST

Definition
1 : a fencer's quick return thrust following a parry

2 : a retaliatory verbal sally : retort

3 : a retaliatory maneuver or measure

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Shores

"Your farts smell like elderberries."

"Oh yeah? Your elderberries smell like farts!" He nodded towards the area between his opponent's legs. His riposte was quick and to the point, and made the audience chortle.

persephone325

arrogate
verb AIR-uh-gayt

Definition
1 a : to claim or seize without justification

b : to make undue claims to having : assume

2 : to claim on behalf of another : ascribe
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

RampantDesires

sacrosanct
adjective SAK-roh-sankt

Definition
1 : most sacred or holy : inviolable

2 : treated as if holy : immune from criticism or violation

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

persephone325

"I give up! I can't riposte in Dark Souls! The timing is ridiculous!" He exclaimed.
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Shores

Is nothing sacrosanct anymore? Not even cheese on pizza? What was once considered a religious experience had now been reduced to flakes of cardboard dandruff on stale bread.

Flower

flummox
verb FLUM-uks

Definition
1 : confuse

persephone325

"Don't use too many big words. You'll end up flummoxing him." She said.
I don't know.

RampantDesires

Althea had always possessed the ability to flummox him.  From the moment they met when she was a somewhat gangly thirteen and she demanded that he give her his horse because 'his was nicer'  she had immediately launched into a ramble about how she was tired of losing a race with one of the other local nobles, one of the Devare boys who was a few years old than she and apparently 'a local marvel as the world's most giant talking ass'. 

She was idly running her fingers along the destrier's neck, her slender body leaning into his flank so that she could reach a higher spot.  He'd simply been staring in horror from the minute she stepped out in front of him in the somewhat narrow trail winding up toward the keep.  Visions of her body crushed beneath the flashing iron-shod hooves flashed through his head.  Archon was a beast of war, bred for and trained on the battlefield.  He made grown men flee for their lives ... and he was currently snuffling at dark brown hair which had escaped a truly wretched braid that hung part way down the girl's back and shifting, not with wary agitation but with pleasure as her fingers danced and her mouth continued to run unchecked.

"Back up just a moment here.  Who the bloody hell are you?  Why aren't you inside the fortification.  Where ..." She cut him off with a small frown, straightening to and pulling away somewhat from where she lavished attention on his weak willed mount.  "Not the smartest man in the bunch is he lovely creature?  Already such a low bar to clear, but he's managed to bring you this far so he can't be completely horrible now can he.  Even if he does not appreciate you and your sweet face."

Honest to God kissing noises came next as she nuzzled her nose against that great snout which also blew a gust of warm air into her face making her laugh.  "Are you two quite finished? I'm..."

"I know who you are Brayden Eversalm.  My father sent me to wait for you."  A partial truth.  Her father HAD told her that one of his liegemen was sending his eldest son for further training, or, at least he had announced it in her presence which was just as good as telling her.  Right?  He had then bellowed at her to stop being underfoot and that if she refused to dress like a lady she should go outside and grub with the peasants.  Admittedly her short tunic and hose were more suited to those of lower station than a lord's daughter, but she thought that grubbing sounded like much more fun than listening to more lectures on regional history and watching fat being rendered into the squat candles that dotted most surfaces inside the stone keep. 

"And you're father's who .. the garrison quartermaster?"  That would make some sense he supposed.  A girl her age might not have many duties to keep her through the day.  If anyone could be spared to watch for him along the path it would be her.

"Gods don't I wish, but no.  And you never answered my first question.  Can I have your horse or not?  Not forever, just for the next race day.  I will bring him back and we will have ever so much fun, won't we you handsome .." her attention had clearly shifted to the horse again, her voice raising to a soft croon that grated upon his last nerve.

"Who are you?  What the hell is going on? And will you stop that!"  His fingers tightened on the reins in irritation and Archon gave a disgruntled huff, dancing backward a few steps, an action which seemed to threaten Brayden more than the slip of a girl yet blocking their path. Maybe he was dreaming.  Maybe he would blink his eyes and she would be gone, and his eyes did close then as he prayed for a patience and a small miracle to help him through this first unexpected trial.  Please merciful gods let this be a dream.

He feared that he was dreaming, but the arms that wrapped around him felt solid enough, a wiry strength, a clarity of purpose as her fingers idly kneaded at the knotted muscle in his lower back causing a rumbling groan to come from somewhere low in his throat.  "Althea .." her name broke the silence that had woven itself around them and he could feel her shift, starting to pull away slightly, head tilting upward in question.  Arms tightened around her for a moment, prolonging that contact as he offered up a quick prayer for patience and a small miracle to help them through this last seemingly insurmountable hurdle on the odd twisting path that had brought them together again.

sdparquinn

Quote from: Flower on May 29, 2018, 06:59:40 AM

flummox
verb FLUM-uks

Definition
1 : confuse

A flurry of fat feet frolicking through the first floor foyer flummoxed Frederick the First. For the foul flotsam forbidden from firearms found feather, found fletch. Fearful of the fate to unfold, fate foretold by fortuneteller old, Fredrick the First felt forced to forfeit... or face forgoing his flawless gorget. 

Mellific

Today's word of the day is...

indigence
noun IN-dih-junss

Definition
: a level of poverty in which real hardship and deprivation are suffered and comforts of life are wholly lacking

O/O | A/A | MM

sdparquinn

Quote from: Mellific on May 30, 2018, 05:17:24 PM

indigence
noun IN-dih-junss

Definition
: a level of poverty in which real hardship and deprivation are suffered and comforts of life are wholly lacking
Idolatrous ingrates incessantly intoned incantations. INFIDELS! IMPIETY! Indigent, indebted, now imperiled, still not impressed. Imam Imani, now less incessed, instead of interring... in turn intersessed.

Since my last was a bit violent, now one about a holy man choosing the more peaceful option.

Shores

The royal prince was reduced to indigence as the drought swept his kingdom and caused food shortages. He started on the long trek to the wizard's tower in search of rain.

Flower

chatise
verb chass-TYZE

Definition
1 : to censure severely : castigate

2 : to inflict punishment on (as by whipping)

RampantDesires

"Don't ..." the word came out on a half sigh as she tilted her head up to look at him.

"Don't apologize or chastise yourself for things that are long in the past Braden.  I'm certainly not going to. Things ... happened.  We cannot change them, and I would not even if I could.  I LIKE my life, and you should certainly be proud of yours.  Prince's advisor?  Who would have ever imagined such a thing?"  At her half smile he relaxed a little more and then let his arms drop, well aware that they had long ago passed the time frame for a simple friendly hug and that to hold her longer would push the bounds of this tentative peace she'd offered him.

"Have you decided what the two of you are going to do now?"

The two of them.  Her question threw him for a loop, not because he did not have a plan of action ready, but because he'd perhaps naively assumed that she would go with them.

"I ... to the capital.  He'll be safer there.  If we can rouse the other council members perhaps we can get in front of whatever plan this creature has been working on. I had thought that you might come along, to provide testimony?  Eye witness accounts are always more trusted than..."  her indelicate snort cut him off.

"Since when have your fine nobles ever cared for the word of a Nezzera? Well beyond the one we offer when accepting a contract to clear up one of their 'little problems' here and there.  I can give you written accounts, diagrams, watch rotations as I saw them and estimates on his over all force, some are not well trained, others lack equipment, but there is at least one forge working through the night and he may have stores elsewhere so it will not be exact.  The countryside around the castle is, well, to put it bluntly, all but ravaged Braden.  He cannot be planning to stay there long, it can't sustain the amount of men he has gathered which means your own supply trains might be a problem even if you manage to mobilize in time ... but here I am rambling and telling you things you already know.  My apologies General, sometimes I forget who I am talking to."

He grinned at the dropping of rank and shook his head.  Odd to think the girl he once knew was standing in front of him talking about war and potential siege preparations with such casual calmness as well.  "The markets here can bare some of the brunt of it I hope.  The coin pushers in charge of the royal treasury will balk at the cost and push for foraging and seizure, but I've learned to deal with them well enough over the years and believe that I can make the pressing nature of our needs clear.  What will you do then Althea?"  He could not help but ask the question, watching her face intently.

There was no outward sign of how hard his question hit her.  After all she would not make a very good spy if each thought and emotion found its way onto her delicate features.  But until that moment she was convinced that he would ask her to go with them.  That this really was truly the end of their ill-fated reunion sat like a heavy weight in the pit of her stomach.  "Return to my ship I suppose.  It has been what?  Two weeks?"  Well, twelve days and fourteen some hours since he and his princeling as boarded her vessel and convinced her to join their cause.  But who was counting?  "It will take me a few more days to reach the shore once more and my crew is likely growing restless.  They are not accustomed to staying in one place for long.  Usually my ... trips are better planned than this and they have their own orders to carry out in the mean time."  They had been more than a little shocked when Althea had dropped everything to hie off on this mad adventure alone, though no one had said anything to her directly.

"Oh ... good.  That is good I suppose.  Do you have, umm .. other contracts waiting for you?"  He hated the stilted tone of formality in his own voice as he groped for something to say to fill the silence stretching between them.

"Possibly.  I don't discuss my work Braden.  That's, kind of, you know, the nature of the job."  She smiled at him, laughter verberating through the words though the emotion never quite reached her eyes.

"Right, of course.  Well, you'll need sleep I suppose, a big journey on the morrow.."

"You as well.  It is no small jaunt to the capital and you will have your prince to entertain and keep in line.  A good night's rest is surely in order."  He nodded in agreement with her statement and turned to the door taking a few steps in that direction all the while mentally kicking himself for being terrible at these sort of things.

"Braden..." his name once more made him pause glancing back toward her.  "I'm glad that you came.  I wish that it would have ended differently here, that I could have delivered on my end of the bargin.." there had been no formal contract signed, she owed him no recompense for her failure, but it still weighed upon her.  "Will you let me know?  How it ends I mean?"  It was a stupid request, she knew that even as she said the words.  A conflict like this one would be easy to follow even by someone without her contacts, but it was important to her that she hear from him again.  That she know that he was alright and have a missive from his own hand as proof.  She would never say such a thing out loud, not even after their moment of closeness earlier.  And yet he seemed to understand regardless for he nodded and offered her a faint smile.

"Of course.  And if you ever have need of me, well, you know where to find me.  Right?"  She nodded and just stood there watching him quietly until he finally turned once more and pushed open the door whos hinges creaked horribly as it swung outward.  For a brief moment she thought he would turn again, but the brief hesitation turned into naught and he exited, pulling the door closed behind him until the latch engaged with a soft click.

persephone325

mise-en-scène
noun meez-ahn-SEN

Definition
1 a : the arrangement of actors and scenery on a stage for a theatrical production

b : stage setting

2 a : the physical setting of an action (as of a narrative or a motion picture) : context

b : environment, milieu
I don't know.

Sam Alexis Lee

"Mise-en-scène!!" yelled the organizer.

Everyone looked at him in confusion, "Me and Sean?"

"Do we even have a person named Sean?"

The organizer shook his head, "NO you simpletons, it means get in line and take ACT TWO from the top!!"

"OOOOHhh ... " everyone sighed, "Then why didn't you just say that??"

My preferences info → Ons / OffsRP Status: Looking for partnersPlayer Status: working / normal RP hours

persephone325

Yesterday's word of the day was....

ingenue
noun AN-juh-noo

Definition
1 : a naive girl or young woman

2 : the stage role of an ingenue; also : an actress playing such a role
I don't know.

Shores

I handed out the instructions for the mise-en-scène to the actors and actresses along with their scripts. Hopefully we could get through this unscathed. Alas, our diva started throwing a fit about why the ingenue had more spotlight time than her. All I could say was that everything had a place and she was not it.

persephone325

Yesterday's word of the day was....

opportune
adjective ah-per-TOON

Definition
1 : suitable or convenient for a particular occurrence

2 : occurring at an appropriate time
I don't know.

persephone325

She had to wait for the opportune time to tell him... He was going to be a father.
I don't know.

Shores

It was the opportune moment to have a fart, but somehow no matter how hard she tried, it just would not come. Desperate, she scrunched up her face, hoping it would happen. Unfortunately, her boss walked by just as she blew the trumpet.

The Green One

He thought it was opportune to put down the controller, and start studying.

Not available for new stories

Mellific

proficient
adjective pruh-FISH-unt

Definition
: well advanced in an art, occupation, or branch of knowledge

O/O | A/A | MM

Sam Alexis Lee

Looking down at her resumé, she couldn't decide to put down "proficient in working with AutoCAD" even though she only had one course in it, or "skillful in working with AutoCAD". Thinking long and hard, she then remembered her favorite quote, 'Fake it till you make it'. With a joyful chirp, "Proficient I will be in AutoCAD!!"

:D

My preferences info → Ons / OffsRP Status: Looking for partnersPlayer Status: working / normal RP hours