~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoenixrisen

The loss of Scott Hansel wasn't so much a loss in the eyes of the rest of the crew. True, they all saw him as family as a good crew always does, however, he was that uncle that no one really wants around. His querulous nature had thoroughly ostracized him from the rest of the crew in that regard. Everyone was completely back to themselves and life as normal within the hour.
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Kyranna

The fact that her mothers had mollycoddled the young girl had only served to exacerbate the querulous questions Samanatha now pestered her teachers with.
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

persephone325

Today's word of the day is....

anathema
noun uh-NATH-uh-muh

Definition
1 a : one that is cursed by ecclesiastical authority

b : someone or something intensely disliked or loathed — usually used as a predicate nominative

2 a : a ban or curse solemnly pronounced by ecclesiastical authority and accompanied by excommunication

b : the denunciation of something as accursed

c : a vigorous denunciation : curse
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Kyranna

"His existence is an utter anathema to my life!" Debra's voice had risen to a fevered pitch as she threw the pillow across the room. While Rick was somewhat amused at her outburst in regards to the sudden realization her ex boyfriend now worked at the same company as her current boyfriend, he was sure that she was exaggerating just how bad it was.
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

persephone325

April 29th's word of the day was....

redolent
adjective RED-uh-lunt

Definition
1 : exuding fragrance : aromatic

2 a : full of a specified fragrance : scented

b : evocative, suggestive
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

RampantDesires

chivalry
noun SHIV-ul-ree

Definition
1 : mounted men-at-arms

2 : gallant or distinguished gentlemen

3 : the system, spirit, or customs of medieval knighthood

4 : the qualities of the ideal knight : chivalrous conduct

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

RampantDesires

"Chivalry demands that I offer you a seat, perhaps a choice of refreshments.  But then you're not precisely an invited guest are you?  Come out little girl..."

The words made her freeze, her heartbeat stuttered and then sped rapidly. He had not caught a glimpse of her as she dove into her improvised hiding spot, and yet he called out to her clearly as his fingers shuffled through papers scattered on the cramped desk on the other side of the room.  She glanced toward the door, then the window along the next wall and tried to evaluate her options.   Sadly there was not a good one in the bunch.

"Don't compound your rudeness by making me come get you."  He almost seemed amused as he tossed out that casual threat and Althea drew herself up to her full height, a rather unimpressive five foot three inches of wary affronted female as she stepped out from behind the bulky wardrobe.

"Oh yes, I would hate to be rude.  In my defense I was going to leave a note.  'To whom it may concern.  Sorry about the blood stains, they should come out with seltzer water and a good scrubbing.  Hugs and kisses, your friendly neighborhood despot executioner'"  Sarcasm rolled through her words in waves.  It was a common defense for her, and one of the few she had left as she scrambled to reevaluate the situation.  Now that she had stepped out into the full light she could see that the way he sat in the plush chair was odd, stiff, still, like he was posing.  Too still.  It took her longer than it should have to notice, there was no rise and fall of his chest nor shoulders. 

He may be redolent of a wealthy noble sitting at his desk.  But who ever .. whatever he was, this was not the princeling's uncle, in fact she was fairly certain that he was not even human.

Mentally she cursed Braden for bringing this mess to her, but she had to accept personable responsibility for things as well.  She had been over eager, sloppy, wanting nothing more than to get in, do the job, and return triumphant to her companions.  Now she would be lucky if ...

Her train of thought shattered as his laughter rolled through the room.  It was a harsh grating thing, raising the fine hairs on her arms in a way which was entirely unpleasant.  Well, at least one of them was amused by tonight's turn of events!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Theta Sigma

eventuate
verb ih-VEN-chuh-wayt

Definition
1 : to come out finally : result, come about

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

RampantDesires

"I'll have to have a chat with my guards.  Lax actions that eventuate in late night guests in my private quarters cannot be tolerated.  Perhaps I should thank you for pointing out flaws in my security?  How did you get over the wall?  I see no wings.." One long-fingered hand gestured toward her compact frame and she frowned harder at him.

"It was not a difficult climb.  Your taste for the macabre and dramatic work against you I fear.  What's one more body in the darkness."  She enjoyed his look of surprise briefly but did not relax her guard.

"Fair enough.  It does make a powerful statement though doesn't it?  They questioned my right to rule here the first week, but those protests were quickly quelled.  Things work so much more smoothly now.  You look like a woman who appreciates when things go according to plan?"  The thread of amusement was back and she found her lips quirking upward despite her best efforts.

"I wouldn't know.  My life hasn't conformed to expectation at any turn.  Not all of us are control freaks... why haven't you called for the watch?  Why are we standing here chatting like bosom companions?" She made the motion look casual, one hand lifting to brush dark hair out of her face, something women did one hundred times a day.  Most women did not have a compact throwing dagger carefully sewn into the edge of their hair band however.  Without warning she flung it in his direction, sliding closer to the window in the wall behind her.  There was a satisfying thunk, but when she glanced back it was to see him pluck the carefully sharpened metal from his hand which he had raised to ward off the blow.  His movements were just as casual as hers had been, bored almost.

"We COULD have been friends.  Ladies with a bit of audacity and a mouth on them, those are my favorite kind, but somehow I doubt you're amicable to such an arrangement.  Oh well.  As you so helpfully pointed out before, what is one more body in the dark?"

Hell with this, she pivoted and dove toward the window.

Flying!

For a moment her pulse thrilled at the sensation and her eyes closed.  It was exhilarating ...

But no, she wasn't flying, she was falling.  As he had pointed out there were no wings to hold her up.  She tucked her legs up against her body and then kicked out, pushing herself as far away from the outer wall as possible.  The moat was a foul thing, stagnant water crusted in things that she'd rather not think about but it was preferable to what had awaited her in the lavish room above.  She sucked in a deep breath already trying to calculate the guard position of the patrols on the outer perimeter.

Best case scenario now she would be returning to Braden and his charge an unmitigated and bruised failure.  But at least there was still a chance that she would return to them.  Hit the water, drag herself to the slippery edge and out into the chilled night, evade capture back to her horse, a hard ride... by the gods it would be nice if for once something went according to plan!

RampantDesires

palindrome
noun PAL-un-drohm

Definition
: a word, verse, or sentence (such as "Able was I ere I saw Elba") or a number (such as 1881) that reads the same backward or forward

Theta Sigma

beaucoup
adjective BOH-koo

Definition
1 : slang : great in quantity or amount : many, much

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Mellific

There were said to be many layers of Hell. The deepest circle of that eternal inferno, for one particular and somewhat shapely woman, resided comfortably in the task of dress shopping. Mostly because the experience - and the material she had to shimmy into - was anything but comfortable. Standing in the lonely stall of the fitting room, she looked from her strangely thin reflection to the dress hanging on the hanger beside her. With a heavy sigh and an infinite amount of willpower, she removed the straps from the hanger and bunched the flimsy fabric together, pulling it down over her head. "Well, there's no turning back now," she muttered to herself, before pulling the garment down her curvature.

It had been many summers since the last time she went shopping for clothes. At this point, picking a dress to try on was like grasping at straws and hoping that just one would fit. Unfortunately, the further down her frame the dress went, the more she began to realize that the size she had been last time she went through this torment, was not the size she was anymore. Part of her thought about pulling it off, giving up on the idea that she could somehow make it work. Yet, another, more determined part of her, wanted to see just how tight it would be. The dress clung to her in a rather unforgiving way, the material shifting in color as it was pulled to accommodate her measurements.

After stilling her breathing, she regarded herself in the mirror; red faced and hair mussed, tight lipped and hunched over. The dress had defeated her, there was no doubt about it. Resigned to the fact that she would need the next size up after all, she began to pull the torturous attire, intending to remove it. That was when an unexpected knock pounded at the door behind her. Gasping and flinching so violently that her grasp intensified until the cheap article gave way, she looked down in horror, jaw dropped open.

"How is everything going in there, Miss?" The chipper saleslady asked from the opposite side of the stall, obviously none the wiser, despite the sound of ripping fabric.

"Um... Beaucoup problemo..." She murmured, cursing under her breath as she inspected the damage. Well, it wouldn't be Hell without a little suffering, would it?

O/O | A/A | MM

persephone325

flocculate
verb FLAH-kyuh-layt

Definition
: to aggregate or coalesce into small lumps or loose clusters
I don't know.

persephone325

agonistic
adjective ag-uh-NISS-tik

Definition
1 : of or relating to the athletic contests of ancient Greece

2 : argumentative

3 : striving for effect : strained

4 : of, relating to, or being aggressive or defensive social interaction (such as fighting, fleeing, or submitting) between individuals usually of the same species
I don't know.

RampantDesires

Braden watched the milling market crowd with undisguised ill-humor, long fingers wrapped around a mug of ale that he'd been absently nursing for the last half hour or so.  The inn was a poor one, tables and chairs a hodgepodge of castoffs which had clearly been half-assedly repaired after a hard brawl or two.  His own seat leaned noticeably to the right, one of the legs a good two inches shorter than all the others. It creaked ominously under his bulky frame, but it would hold.

His Prince had pitched a proper fit about their 'ghastly accommodations' and was currently out shopping for new sheets to replace the 'undoubtedly flea ridden ones' currently stretched over one of the lumpy mattresses in their shared room.  The boy wasn't wrong, it was hardly luxurious, but at least they had beds, a sturdy roof, heat from a brazier that they paid a bit extra to have filled daily.   And the food wasn't half bad.  The innkeeper may be a surly bastard, but his wife ruled the kitchen and managed to delicately spice and vastly improve the tough cuts of meat supplied to her for the day.  That was an improvement from the cramped ship right?

He'd come neither for the decor nor the watered down and faintly sour drink.  He'd chosen this inn for this particular window that he sat beside, the one that gave him full view of the market square and more importantly the wide city gates which opened up to it.  He'd chosen it so that he could wait, and watch for her return.

It sat ill that he'd allowed her to go out alone on this mad mission in the first place.  Yes, necessity and lack of other options had caused him to go to her for aid in the first place, but he had always assumed that it was a task they would accomplish together.  She'd seemed so sure of herself, so utterly dismissive of the mere thought that she might need another's help let alone his that he had allowed himself to go along with things.  With each day that passed without a word from her cause is discontent and worry to grow exponentially.

She should be back by now.  Every day he sat in this bloody rickety chair, waiting for her to stroll casually through the city gates, or for some kind of message detailing whatever might be keeping her.  Nothing.  Just the citizens of this blasted city as they drifted through the market pausing to flocculate briefly around this stall or that as the merchants shouted their wares. 

It was driving him mad, but then Althea had always driven him mad.

Fingers flexed around the fired clay mug and he resisted the urge to shatter it and storm from the dimly lit taproom.  A walk?  He doubted that would help. Ideally he would fine a fight to clear some of the excess anger and energy from his blood, but he did not trust himself to spar with his charge, nor could he risk drawing attention to them by engaging the locals and perhaps having the constabulary called.  No, he was stuck here.  Waiting.  Always waiting!

With a low growl he downed the rest of the now lukewarm drink, throat working in long gulps, there was no need to stand on ceremony in a place like this.

"Careful big guy, it is a bit too early in the day for heavy drinking..."

The mug DID shatter then, falling from his fingers, bouncing once against the wooden surface of the table and then crashing to the floor where shards of it scattered among ill kept rushes.  Perhaps she could have caught it before it fell, but Althea would not have looked away from his stunned reaction to her appearance at his table for the most glittering of jewels let alone one ill made and chipped cup.

persephone325

remuneration
noun rih-myoo-nuh-RAY-shun

Definition
: the act or fact of paying an equivalent to for a service, loss, or expense : recompense, pay
I don't know.

Mellific

Today's word of the day is...

decimate
verb DESS-uh-mayt

Definition
1 : to select by lot and kill every tenth man of

2 : to exact a tax of 10 percent from

3 a : to reduce drastically especially in number

b : to cause great destruction or harm to

O/O | A/A | MM

Lilias

‘All right, what happened in there?’ asked Seb as soon as they were out of earshot of the tavern.

‘Hmmm?’

‘Exactly. You just… checked out as soon as you heard where we were going. Zero interest in negotiating conditions, requirements, or remuneration. Talk to me, Kane. If I didn’t know better, I’d think you’d go even alone, on foot, and for free.’

Kane huffed a laugh. ‘You’re half right. I’d take that job any day. I’ve been there, you see, before your time, and I’ve wanted to go back ever since, but it’s not a place you can reach, as you put it, alone and on foot.’

‘What on earth can…’

‘Something much more precious than any fee we could charge those rich idiots,’ Kane hissed in warning. ‘We need the people and the provisions, but not the money. I’ll tell you as we gear up. Cheer up, kid. You negotiated well, and we got a good deal anyway.’
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Kyranna

Doing the gardening was alright until she uncovered the nest of earwigs under the bags of garden soil. She was unable to continue until she had decimated the entire infestation.
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

Mellific

"Hey pretty lady, you come here often?" The drunken man slurred his words as he stood far too close, the alcohol stench permeating off of him offensively.

The woman he was attempting to flirt with released a heavy sigh, rolling her eyes before turning to glare at him.

"I'm not interested." She flatly said, then turned away from him to continue nursing her martini.

"Oh, c'mon. Just gimme a chance." He waggled his eyebrows at her, as if that was supposed to compel her to change her mind, hail a cab and lead him back to her apartment.

"Look, I'm doing you a favor. Trust me, your heart couldn't take the pressure. I would decimate you." One final glare was issued at him from over her shoulder - a warning.

He scoffed and walked off. "Whatever."

O/O | A/A | MM

RampantDesires

"How did you get in here?" the question burst from him abruptly.

"Well, the door sticks. Rained recently did it?  It seems to have swollen against the frame somewhat, but it is still totally functional..." the deadpanned response made his eyes narrow upon her, but he couldn't help his lips twitching upward into a relieved smile. That smile faded as he took in her appearance.  Her skin, from what he could see of it under the caked on layer of dirt, had an ashen quality under her normally healthy tan.  The skin over and beneath her left cheek bone had been scraped raw, scabbed over in places.  She was filthy, from the soles of her boots to the top of her head and he could see the innkeeper taking a few steps in their direction glowering.

"My friend will require a room of her own, and a bath sent up.  Can't have her scaring off your illustrious patrons can we?  Don't worry Kelvin, there will be sufficient remuneration for the inconvenience..." The promise of yet more coin for his new guests was enough to forestall any outrage and he just nodded, barking out orders to someone behind the bar to have a bath set up.

"You're my hero Braden."  She flashed him a weary smile, wincing a bit as she stretched her legs out in front of her.  She was fairly sure one of her ribs was cracked and not actually broken, she'd made it this far without complications, it just bloody well hurt, especially when she shifted the wrong way.  "The promise of a bath and being clean once more is ALMOST enough to make me forgive you for what I discovered at Averly." 

"We haven't had a reliable report out of the area in months, but surely things can't have been that bad?"

She just lofted one delicate brow in response, quiet for a moment as she debated how to break the news to him.  Straightforward, like pulling off a bandaid seemed best.  "You've not had a report because he's threatened to decimate the population, the woman and children portion of it at least, if anyone dares try to leave or send word out.  He seems to have need of the able bodied men and holds them hostage with threat to their families.  It is ...  I have seen many things in my life Braden. Monsters, despots, madmen.  The creature at the heart of Averly puts them all in the shade."

"Creature?  He was always a bit ... ambitious and stern, but nothing about Galen's history suggests he would stoop to wholesale slaughter.."

"You don't understand.  The boy's uncle is no more.  A shape shifter perhaps?  A lich?  No, I doubt he is undead, he bled freely enough though he seemed utterly unconcerned by it.  You .. WE have a very serious problem Braden..."  Even after all these years she was still very much Queen of the Understatement.  She took an oddly perverse pleasure in the way color drained from his face and his low expletives filled their corner of the room.  Yeah, that summed things up pretty nicely!

Shores

The large lizard decimated the matchstick torches, knocking them over with its tail. The nearby leaves caught on fire and soon the forest was ablaze. Lizards did not take too kindly to being surrounded by fire.

Theta Sigma

menagerie
noun muh-NAJ-uh-ree

Definition
1a : a place where animals are kept and trained especially for exhibition
b : a collection of wild or foreign animals kept especially for exhibition
2 : a varied mixture

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

RampantDesires

"You're sure?"

She stiffened at his question, the movement again sending a twinge through her much abused rib cage.  "I assure you Braden I may have a whole menagerie of quirks, issues, and personal problems, and I'm sure you could sit here numbering them all evening, but lying about or exaggerating something like this would not be on that list."  He could tell that he had offended her, but did not offer an apology, they were far beyond such things and if he started apologizing now he didn't know where he would stop.

"What do you suggest then?"  Focusing in on the task at hand seemed the best course of action.

"Well, do you have an army?  Because he certainly does.  Your 'foreign mercenaries' are only half the problem.  He's conscripted the locals as well.  They drill in the bailey.  Spear work mostly, and they're terrible at it, but a man doesn't have to be all that skilled to hold a spear and skewer someone with it."  She tried to make it a joke, but the attempt was weak at best.  "In my opinion?  Abandon Averly for now, work at rousing the rest of the nobles against Galen.  Attempt to draw him out of the castle and that region.  I breached the fortifications only because he wasn't expecting a lone intruder to come over the wall, somehow I don't think a second attempt would be as easy.  If you're going to face him it should be on the road."

She took a deep breath groaning softly.  From the corner of her eye she saw the surly innkeeper wave toward their table indicating that her room was ready and she inclined her head in that direction.  "The rest of this will have to wait.  Nothing can be done today and I will be less than worthless if I don't get some sleep soon.  It has not been the most pleasant of journies."  Concern flashed over his features and he again took stock of her ragged appearance.

"Of course.  I shouldn't have pressed, do you need .. help?"

Startled laughter burst from her and his jerked back up to her face.  "Help Braden?  Help walking across the room when I have traversed a third of the dutchy alone to get here? Or help in the bath?  I assure you I'm fully capable of both on my own.  But thank you for the offer."  He felt his face flushing with a mixture of embarrassment and, well, something that was far too dangerous to give a name to.  Damn the woman and her uncanny ability to make him blush.

Shores

Figuring out what to do with the menagerie of pets Uncle Harry left in his will was the biggest problem. He had collected specimens from all corner of the globe and housed them on his family land, even hired a groundskeeper. Some of us didn't mind using some of the trust money to pay the groundskeeper and let him continue taking care of the animals, while the others protested such a wastage of money. In the end, it was up to me to see that the keeping of the animals would be a profitable enterprise.