~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shores

"Oink!" He yelled at the dog. She was startled at the odd onomatopoeia until the creature started morphing into a pig. Her eyes widened as she slowly reached for his hand, grabbed it, and started running in the opposite direction. The pig gave chase.

RampantDesires

Today's word of the day is....

embarrass
verb  im-BAIR-us

Definition
1 a : to cause to experience a state of self-conscious distress

b : to place in doubt, perplexity, or difficulties

c : to involve in financial difficulties

2 a : to hamper the movement of

b : hinder, impede

3 : to make intricate : complicate

4 : to impair the activity of (a bodily function) or the function of (a bodily part)

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Kyranna

His delicate digestive system was embarrassed by the amount of cream added to every item in the meal.
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

Shores

"Are you trying to embarrass me? You know we can't afford that helicopter chocolate fountain that shoots chocolate rain on everyone! We can only get the jello one and that's final!" He slammed the phone down and disconnected from his daughter.

Theta Sigma

Yesterday's word of the day was....

headlong
adverb HED-LAWNG

Definition
1 :  with the head foremost
2 : without deliberation : recklessly
3 : without pause or delay

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Shores

The brave fireman rushed headlong into the house to save the occupants inside. Alas, a wormhole opened and swallowed him and the people in the house up. He went on a long adventure and came back bearing a box of diamonds, but no one would believe his story.

RampantDesires

April 20th's word of the day is....

bloviate
verb BLOH-vee-ayt

Definition
: to speak or write verbosely and windily

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Shores

He is prone to bloviate whenever the family visits, going on about how it was back in the war of 2059, when our robot army battled the aliens. He likes to describe how the robots had to burn human fecal matter for fuel, which I thoroughly do not believe nor do I approve of its discussion in polite company.

mioyumyum

Aack, he thought to himself. They asked the theology professor to say grace. He was droning on and on. "Thank thee Father, for all the provisions that thou hast given ... ever since the Exodus, providing manna and quail from the heavens upon the Israelities - which they ungratefully received. Then providing all throughout history in various forms and ways ... like during the dry seasons of Israel's famines ..."

He was just a student; but he so wanted to skip his professor's bloviate with "rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub!"

persephone325

grudging
adjective GRUH-jing

Definition
1 : unwilling, reluctant

2 : done, given, or allowed unwillingly, reluctantly, or sparingly
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

persephone325

traduce
verb truh-DOOSS

Definition
1 : to expose to shame or blame by means of falsehood and misrepresentation

2 : violate, betray
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Shores

He have a grudging not to the pawnshop merchant, knowing the blade was worth twice the amount quoted. If he didn't need the cash for the operation so quickly there was no way he would have sold it for so little.

He woke up the next day and found the blade next to him on the nightstand, a note stabbed by it.

Shores

Instead of seducing me, she traduced me by saying I had small feet. Well, the joke was on her since I got turned on by it. Because I got aroused, the cage was opened and my beloved saved from the vat of boiling acid.

Kyranna

It was with a grudging spirit that she had to admit that her mother had been correct. Nathan, while a gorgeous man to look at, had sought to traduce her in his attempt to dominate her.
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

RampantDesires

cathexis
noun kuh-THEK-sis

Definition
: investment of mental or emotional energy in a person, object, or idea

Kyranna

It had been a long time since he had found a project that had truly stimulated his mind and drew out the very best of his talent. The curved, empty wall before him now though, begged for his touch and his brushed seemed to quiver in the anticipation of the cathexis of his creativity he would pour out through them.
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

Shores

His focus on his grandfather's recipe built up into a cathexis of frustration as he could not get the correct proportion of ingredients right. He exploded and screamed at the pot just as his food burst into flames and singed his eyebrows.

RampantDesires

loath
adjective LOHTH

Definition
: unwilling to do something contrary to one's ways of thinking : reluctant

Shores

The cat was loath to leave its perch by the window where it could watch people walk by like the flies they were.

RampantDesires

slew
noun SLOO

Definition
: a large number

Kyranna

She had a slew of work to do after the boys had their weekend of fun. The socks which hung from the chandelier were the first clue that she had been right to loath the idea of the teenagers left alone for twenty-four hours.
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

Shores

The slew of dragons reared up on their hind feet and charged forward, felling the soldiers like trees in a forest fire. The human commander scrambled to hold the line as they waited for the wizards to arrive.

RampantDesires

April 26th's word of the day is....

mollycoddle
verb MAH-lee-kah-dul

Definition
: to treat with an excessive or absurd degree of indulgence or attention

Phoenixrisen

"Damn it Gwen, it's no wonder he can't fight the way you mollycoddle the boy!"
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

persephone325

querulous
adjective KWAIR-yuh-lus

Definition
1 : habitually complaining

2 : fretful, whining
I don't know.