News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhedyn

Today's word of the day is....

fructify
verb FRUK-tuh-fye

Definition
1 : to bear fruit
2 : to make fruitful or productive

Shores

The whole point of marriage was to fructify, and that had never sat well with her. Until she met him, and then she realised what all the stories had been about. A man you could fall in love with and want to bear his child, and yet want to kill all at the same time.

Theta Sigma

terpsichorean
adjective terp-sih-kuh-REE-un

Definition
1 : of or relating to dancing

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Theta Sigma

lothario
noun loh-THAIR-ee-oh

Definition
1 : a man whose chief interest is seducing women

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Rhedyn

permeable
adjective PER-mee-uh-bul

Definition
1 : capable of being permeated : penetrable; especially : having pores or openings that permit liquids or gases to pass through

Shores

At the moment, his brain was as permeable as a solid iron wall, which meant everything she said was soon lost and forgotten to time.

Theta Sigma

stultify
part of speech pronunciation

Definition
1 : to cause to appear or be stupid, foolish, or absurdly illogical
2a : to impair, invalidate, or make ineffective : negate
b : to have a dulling or inhibiting effect on

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Rhedyn

recumbent
adjective rih-KUM-bunt

Definition
1 : a : suggestive of repose : leaning, restinga : suggestive of repose : leaning, resting
     b : lying down
2 : representing a person lying down
3 : (of a bicycle) having the seat positioned so that the rider's legs are extended horizontally forward to the pedals and the body is reclined

Theta Sigma

boniface
nounBAH-nuh-fuss

Definition
1 : the proprietor of a hotel, nightclub, or restaurant

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Rhedyn

vespertine
adjective VESS-per-tyne

Definition
1 : of, relating to, or occurring in the evening
2 : active, flowering, or flourishing in the evening : crepuscular

Theta Sigma

flamboyant
adjective flam-BOY-ant

Definition
1 : marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Rhedyn

hortative
adjective HOR-tuh-tiv

Definition
1 : giving exhortation : serving to advise or warn

Theta Sigma

debilitate
verb dih-BIL-uh-tayt

Definition
1 : to impair the strength of : enfeeble

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Rhedyn

pooh-bah
noun POO-bah

Definition
1 : a person holding many public or private offices
2 : a person in high position or of great influence

Shores

"His Royal Highness, Grand Excellency, Maestro-dinaire, High Court Wizard, Most Best Guildswain, Three-Hundred Star General, Overseer of the Three Realms, Sir William of Shakesphere!" The doors opened and the grand pooh-bah glided into the room on his tip-toes, waving like a prince to his audience.

Theta Sigma

spiel
noun SPEEL

Definition
1 : a voluble line of often extravagant talk : a speech delivered especially to sell or promote something

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Scylla

The woman sighed and opened the curtain to the bright sunlit crowd outside.  Though the cheers were great, she remained in her sullen mood.  She'd given this spiel so many times that it had lost most of its meaning to her.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your once in a lifetime kind of event! Do you need it? Yes. Do you want it? ABSOLUTELY! It's wonderful, it's magical, and it's here! The only man that can give it to you is right behind me. He's come from lands far away to tell you about your fortune, your future, and even give you some of the rarest trinkets and baubles blessed by the Grand Heads of the Embassy of the Odd! What does it cost! It doesn't MATTER what it costs! It's so vitally important to your life that those few coins you carry are insignificant! Are you ready? Are you able? Are you excited to see what it is that he has to offer?!"

The crowd roared.  She hid her vast sadness under her smile.  What he had to offer was lies and tricks.  That's all.  The old man and his crystal ball and his silly balloon.  He wasn't wonderful or magical at all.  Just a.. a humbug.

"Here he is!! The GREAT and POWERFUL Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkle Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs!!"

Theta Sigma

antithetical
adjective an-tuh-THET-ih-kul

Definition
1 : being in direct and unequivocal opposition : directly opposite or opposed
2 : constituting or marked by antithesis : pertaining to the rhetorical contrast of ideas by means of parallel arrangements of words, clauses, or sentences

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Shores

We thought he was just here to sing, instead he started into a spiel about animal rights, and how elephants should be protected for their tusks. Pish posh, I say. If we were weren't meant to use elephant tusks, then the foolish animals wouldn't have them. Instead, the tusks are always so massive, and big, and beautiful. Everything on earth is placed here for a reason, and the elephant tusks are for better intimate relations.

Shores

His beliefs on love were antithetical to his mother's. He found it meaningless, a confluence of body chemistry and physical attractiveness which led to co-dependency for land and wealth. She found all her meaning in it. She could never understand how he could have married his wife for her assets, but it was a far better deal than his drunk father who only took from his mother.

Rhedyn

fete
noun FAYT

Definition
1 : festival
2 : a : a lavish often outdoor entertainment
b : a large elaborate party

Goldengun

The fete had started, another simple non-offensive way to spend a Saturday afternoon and sometimes these these were fun, but as poor luck would have it fate decided to interfere by bringing her there too. If I didn't have bad luck I would have none at all, though at that precise moment that may have been preferable. She was glorious, a direct contrast to the dull grey sky that had lingered for days. Effortless beauty in her casual clothing, she wore nothing special other than a crimson sweater, dark blue jeans and black boots. No trace of her impact on others, no ego in that open friendly smile or those piercing blue eyes that danced in greeting. Completely oblivious of the effect she had on others, on me. There she was the woman I loved, walking arm in arm with her husband, my best friend. Out of reach now and forever, yet I was fated to love her despite circumstance. My heart was full yet breaking and felt as light as a feather yet leaden, heavy within my chest. I could feel my blood racing, my pulse quickening and my head lightening, yet I could feel myself shaking, despairing and fighting and urge to scream.

The woman I was fated to love, who could never be my fate, here to torment me at a local fete... Fete/fate, 2 words that mean completely different things whose only similarity is in how they sound and how tightly they are woven for me.

I look over and smile at them, though in truth, my smile is just for her. She glances my way and her glorious eyes pass mine, no recognition, nothing. I'm crushed, though the are headed my way. My pulse quickens further and I fancy I can almost hear it beating now, though the walk on by, seemingly right through me. I am crestfallen, broken. How could she be so friendly to others yet not notice me, as for my friend, surely he would have seen me, seen my hand raised in greeting, almost heard the unsaid "hi" frozen on my lips? They both pause slightly, turning their heads toward me before sharing a glance with each other and moving on. Perhaps they know, they must know surely, they know my feelings and are trying to avoid them and me, the pain I am causing it's clear. I turn to follow and begin to walk toward them, yet the people I pass, none seem to want to move out of my way or even realise I'm there!

And then I remember, like the seeming 1000's of other times since it happened, I'm not there. I'm dead and the world goes on without me and I have forgotten and I stand alone, unnoticed, unable to pass over, unable to avoid her. My fate, the one I will love forever who is fated to never be mine. They glance back toward where they passed, a pained look in both their eyes that begins to fade and I watch and I stand and I let them walk away. The throng of people at the fete pass by and through and I wait, knowing this will play out again and knowing I will probably forget I am dead and my fate will torment me evermore.
Don't overlook my butt! I work out all the time. And reaping burns a lot of calories!!

Shores

The fete would be tomorrow and there was no chance he was letting anything happen on his watch. He quietly continued scanning the perimeter of the grounds, looking for a possible breach.

Theta Sigma

accentuate
verb ak-SEN-shu-wayt

Definition
1 : accent, emphasize; also : intensify

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

ZephyrInk

Her dress was elegant, accentuated in places with sequins and threadwork that turned heads wherever she went. Kalli had to admit the designer was right, it was made for her. In that moment she relished the way people around the hall looked at her and whispered but tried not to look at them as she ambled on. There was only one person there she had dressed up for, changed her entire look from a humble librarian to this. Her lips curled into a soft smile at that as she continued to scan the expanse ahead of her. Where was he?, she wondered, a slight hint of panic rising in her before a hand clamped down on her shoulder and she whirled around.