werewolf
noun WAIR-woolf

Definition
1 : a person transformed into a wolf or capable of assuming a wolf's form

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

SithLordOfSnark

I was on the hunt for a werewolf, and what I found was just a child in a costume.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

persephone325

"What are you gonna be for Halloween?"

"Oh, something kinda mundane. Like a werewolf. It's over done, but super easy and I'm lazy."
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Theta Sigma

Today's word of the day is....

apodictic
adjective ap-uh-DIK-tik

Definition
1 : expressing or of the nature of necessary truth or absolute certainty

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Autumn52

I can assure you that I will tell you the apodictic of what I find, whether you want to hear it or not. You see, Miss Rose, I do not like falsehoods. I prefer to be completely honest, it is not a popular trait these days but it is one that I am very proud to possess.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Theta Sigma

clew
noun KLOO

Definition
1 : a ball of thread, yarn, or cord
2 : something that guides through an intricate procedure or maze of difficulties : clue
3a : a lower corner or only the after corner of a sail
b :  a metal loop attached to the lower corner of a sail
c : (plural) a combination of lines by which a hammock is suspended

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Theta Sigma

tin-pot
adjective TIN-PAHT

Definition
1 : cheap or trivial of its kind : petty, small-time, two-bit

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Theta Sigma

stridulate
verb STRIJ-uh-layt

Definition
1 : to make a shrill creaking noise by rubbing together special bodily structures — used especially of male insects (such as crickets or grasshoppers)

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Trilby

clew
noun KLOO

They were only eleven posts into their RP, and she was already certain that she knew him in RL.  It was just a hunch, but a few original turns of phrase and some of his character's traits rang a bell.  Somehow, somewhere, she had talked to him before.  Maybe a lot.

For hours, she was a hound on the scent, searching through his posts, following the clew of hints till she found the smoking gun.  A post from almost a year ago, in the "I Confess" thread.

She had him.  Now: what kind of fun did she want to have?

Theta Sigma

Yesterday's word of the day is....

parable
noun PAIR-uh-bul

Definition
1 : example; specifically : a usually short fictitious story that illustrates a moral attitude or a religious principle

esemplastic
adjective ess-em-PLASS-tik

Definition
1 : shaping or having the power to shape disparate things into a unified whole

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Trilby

Two in one:

Celeste took the little box from his hands and did her best to hide her glee. It was a ring box.  It had to be.  It was the right size, the right shape… was this the night Daniel finally popped the question?  She carefully unwrapped it and barely managed to keep from licking her lips at the sight of the blue box from Tiffany's.

“Oh, Dan,” she cooed as she slowly flipped the little box open.

The smile went stiff on her face.

Dan loved her.  She knew that with an apodictic certainty.  There was nothing he wouldn't do for her, nothing too good for her.

So what was the damn deal with giving her a tin-pot little Cracker Jacks ring in a Tiffany's box?

Trilby

He was of medium height, with a shock of untidy grey hair, intelligent dark eyes, and a nose like the business end of a pickaxe.  In New York, he was as much a figure of ridicule as anything else, variously described as a poseur, a popinjay, a philanderer, and a pseudo-intellectual.  He was a bundle of energy, appetites and contradictions: a man about town who was bitter and lonely; a temporarily closeted gay man who loved his wife.

But in his own sphere, he was a God, for he had a rare and magical gift.

When he picked up a baton, he had the esemplastic ability to stand on a box in front of a hundred other musicians, each as gifted and as stubborn as he, and weld them into a single performing entity, magnificent and formidable, whose music rivaled that of every other ensemble in the world.

Theta Sigma

archetype
noun AHR-kih-type

Definition
1 : the original pattern or model of which all things of the same type are representations or copies : prototype; also : a perfect example
2 : a transcendent entity that is a real pattern of which existing things are imperfect representations : idea
3 : (psychology) an inherited idea or mode of thought in the psychology of C. G. Jung that is derived from the experience of the race and is present in the unconscious of the individual

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Rhedyn

mandarin
adjective MAN-drin

Definition
1 : of, relating to, or typical of a public official in the Chinese Empire of any of nine superior grades
2 : marked by polished ornate complexity of language

Trilby

Three in one!!

It was just a toy.  A little bear, made of rabbit fur and scraps of leather, and stuffed with bits of leftover wool.  Something Angela made for her daughter Carmelita’s birthday.  But in less than a month, every child in her class wanted one.  Flattered, Angela ordered more raw materials and made two dozen bears; by her third effort, she had streamlined the process and refined the construction, making it possible to create any number of identical copies.  The new improved bear was a hit; Carmelita’s friends all showed their bears around, and soon Angela was overwhelmed with requests. The little toy was so wildly popular that it turned into a little cottage industry.  Angela quit her job at the Weigel's and opened an Etsy store.  She set Carmelita’s bear on the shelf of her workroom as inspiration and archetype, and started negotiations with Hasbro and Fisher Price.

She hired two high school girls as part-time assistants.  They both fell through quickly; Angela could not abide half-hearted, slapdash efforts, but she couldn’t afford to pay for skilled labor.  She went back to creating the bears by hand, all by herself.  Each one was a labor of love.  Angela worked eighteen hours a day, sometimes even more, to keep up with the demand.  She was proud of what she had accomplished; so very, very proud that she had created something that was so universally beloved.

And every night, Carmelita hugged her new improved bear as she went to sleep; and even though Mom told her that the new bear was better, she wished that she had her first, original, unique and individual bear back, instead of one of the mass of bears that all looked alike. 

She wished she had her mother back, too. 

Theta Sigma

cotton
verb KAH-tun

Definition
1 : to take a liking — used with to
2 : to come to understand — used with to or on to

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Autumn52

The new guy was built rugged with a chiseled jaw and shoulders that seemed to go on and on. The instant Jack saw him he felt a tingle in his nether region. He knew he shouldn't take a cotton to someone so quickly. His Southern upbringing told him to take things slow. But his body never seemed to agree with his mind. Once the lunch room was empty, except for the two of them, Jack took the opportunity to introduce himself. Manny looked up from his book and smiled when Jack put his hand out in a gesture of friendship. The smile......oh that smile. Jack almost forgot to breath when Manny shook his hand and said, "So you are the famous Jack I keep hearing so much about. It is very nice to meet you Jack. I would love to pick your brain for ideas on the policies and procedures if you have time?" Before Jack thought about what he said he replied in his typical Southern twang, "You are welcome to pick my anything Manny." Once he realized what he had said he quickly laughed and interjected, "I mean.... well that didn't come out right did it?" Manny smiled and replied, "I think it came out just fine." Manny didn't drop the handshake. Instead he held onto Jack's hand and he used his thumb to caress his palm before letting it go.

Jennifer walked into the lunch room and said, "Are you ready for your tour Manny?" He replied, "Yes," then he looked at Jack and said, "so tonight 7 pm at Frank's bar on seventeenth, right?" Jack looked confused but replied, "Yeah, I'll see you there." As Manny walked out of the room he turned back toward Jack and winked. Jack thought to himself, 'what have I gotten myself into this time?' As he left the room he couldn't help but smile. It seemed he had a date. Jack was excited and nervous. What would a kiss from those perfectly plump lips feel like? He seemed he wouldn't have to wait long to find out. The smile never left his face. Jack had a date. But in real life things never were as they appeared, and he knew that all too well. While he was excited he was also hungry, he hadn't fed in several days. Tonight, he would feast. The red gleam in his eyes shown through, just briefly, as he thought about his delicious dinner. He didn’t realize his mouth had begun to water until he swallowed hard. He knew he had to shift his mind onto his work. His last thought before he started his work was, 'only two more hours until 7 pm.' He licked his lips in anticipation and focused on the work at hand. Seven……
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

Rhedyn

pathos
noun PAY-thahss

Definition
1 : an element in experience or in artistic representation evoking pity or compassion
2 : an emotion of sympathetic pity

Nico

Raindrops against glass.

What a stoic, monotone noise they made. Somehow the sound reminded Sebastien of his heartbeat. One beat after the other, stubborn and entirely out of his control. His own, at least. His eyes following the trail they left - as unpredictable as it could possibly get. Their movement, their sounds - like a symphony that begged to be written. Why was it that each time he closed his eyes, he could hear screams? But no, he would not close his eyes just yet. Too captured by the thunderstorm outside - and inside.

"Compassion is an interesting concept, is it not, Sebastien?"

The smooth, complacent voice somewhere behind him in the room tore him out of his apparent reverie. For how long had he gazed out into the distance? Over the seemingly endless urban canyons. From up here, it all seemed to small. So.. dispensable.  Seconds? Minutes? Did it even really matter? Now and then, Sebastien caught himself wondering if he ever would descry it all. Even the things cloaked in haze from the past. Forgotten or repressed. Or, perhaps it was better to not remember and move on. The latter option had something tremendously tempting as of late. Temptation always involved something forbidden or -at the very least- something that was morally questionable.

Standards. How he loathed them. Guidelines for the weak, at best.

"Yes. Interesting." and maybe, just maybe it lacked emotion. "As interesting as watching insects under a microscope, perhaps." he added while he slowly looked back over a shoulder, swirling the contents of his glass, absently so. The faint chuckle from the other man in the room felt like recognition instead of being torn apart and analyzed for the umpteenth time and for the first time in what seemed to be an eternity, Sebastien felt understood, or at least accepted. There was nothing sentimental that prompted the way he felt. No melancholy. It brought a certain sense of satisfaction, even. "How would you describe compassion, Sebastien? What does it mean to you." such questions were always double-edged blades.

His gaze once more turned back to the window, there was no need for eyecontact right now. He could feel the other mans eyes upon him, however and it made Sebastian smirk ever so softly. "Compassion, Doctor, is what makes people weak and predictable. Pathos. Such a sorry excuse for ones own mistakes." he said in an even tone. He was not even shocked at his own words.

And the rain was still falling, pouding against glass, accompanied by a low, deep laugh behind him.  It clearly was time to move on.

Theta Sigma

doughty
adjective DOW-tee

Definition
1 : marked by fearless resolution : valiant
/center]

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Autumn52

The knight was the doughtiest in the land. Sir William had proven his abilities time and time again. Yet here he was faced with his most dangerous adversary yet. The leader of the dragon armies, Buraki. It would take all his skills to defeat this dragon and save the kingdom. Sir William readied himself as Buraki landed directly in front of him. This would be a battle of wills and skills, human against dragon. No armies to support them just pure skill. The victor would have the entire kingdom as their spoil. The loser would lose much more than his life. He would lose an entire kingdom; the inhabitants would be slaves to the victor. Sir William and Buraki began their dialogue and so the battle begins.

Theta Sigma

shilly-shally
verb SHIL-ee-SHAL-ee

Definition
1 : to show hesitation or lack of decisiveness or resolution
2 : dawdle

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Verdi

Quote from: Theta Sigma on November 12, 2017, 07:43:13 PM

shilly-shally
verb SHIL-ee-SHAL-ee

Definition
1 : to show hesitation or lack of decisiveness or resolution
2 : dawdle

The old professor sat at his desk, his mug of black coffee having run cold hours ago. He stroked his long grey beard, reminiscent of Gandalf the Grey, almost petting it as if it were a live being growing from his face. He mumbled incoherently to himself as he flipped through the stack of papers with quick precision, grading each test, judging each homework assignment. He was not shilly-shally in his conclusions, rather his judgements were quick and final, produced with almost no thought put into them. The faint sound of a pencil falling to the ground interrupted his silence, invaded his thoughts, and he looked up impatiently, scanning the room with purpose as he stood up and slammed his wrinkling hands onto the oak desk. "What was that?? Quiet down!" He yelled, shaking a arthritis-ridden finger around the room, the joints bulky and misshapen.

He sat back down, slowly and quietly, before he started flipping through the stack of papers again. A short woman in white scrubs entered the room soon after and walked up to him, gently placing her fragile hand on his shoulder. "Are you alright, Mr. Brown?" She asked with tenderness, the hint of a Latin accent in her voice. He looked up at her and groaned, shrugging her hand off of him. "Can't you see I'm working? How will these papers ever get graded if you don't stop bothering me?" Maria furrowed her brow and sighed as she watched him flip through the sheets of paper, marking them all with the letters he deemed appropriate - A, C, F. She looked up into the empty room, wondering what it was that he saw occupying the space, imagining the view of a classroom full of students looking up to him for guidance and support as he lectured them on the wonders of ancient history.

"It's time for your pills, Mr. Brown, and it's best that you get to bed because your family is coming to visit you in the morning." Jacob looked around, confused, his thoughts muddled and racing. One minute he was grading papers for his class, the next he was in a darkened hospital cafeteria, a stack of blank papers in front of him, a slew of tables and chairs all around. He began to tremble as he stood up, looking around the room in a panic. "How did I get here? Who are you??" Maria reached into her pocket for the syringe full of the sedative they had to use on him at least twice a month now, holding it between her fingers just in case she couldn't calm him down this time. "You're at St. Mercy's hospital, Mr. Brown. Everything is okay, I'm here to take care of you. Let's get you back to your room and in bed now, okay?" She smiled as she reached a hand out to him, but he turned the other way and ran as fast as his aching legs could push him. He had scuffled past two rows of tables, Maria yelling after him to stop, before his aching legs gave out and he fell to the ground, his body convulsing as his heart gave out on the cold linoleum.

Rhedyn

roué
noun roo-AY

Definition
1 : a man devoted to a life of sensual pleasure : rake