~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corvusul86

Lacy had never seen the small store tucked away in the corner of the mall before.  The windows were too dark to see through, and the only sign was a small plaque on the door reading 'Curiosity Shoppe'.  After a moment of hesitation she opened the door and slipped inside.

There was a scent like strange incense in the air, and it made her nose tingle slightly.  The shop was kept fairly dim, although after a moment to adjust she was able to see the shelves just fine, which were packed with all manner of strange items.  Without any idea what she was looking for she slowly began to walk down the aisles, bemused at the odd contents of the store.

"Can I help you with anything?" a man's voice suddenly said behind her.

Lacy jumped and spun around, shocked that she hadn't heard him approach in the quiet store.  He was an old man with white hair and many wrinkles, wearing an old fashioned three piece suit and gold rimmed spectacles.  He offered her an apologetic smile that didn't reach his eyes as she took a moment to gather herself after the surprise.  "Um... no, no I'm not looking for, um, anything in particular."

"Please, take your time, look around," he said, gesturing vaguely.  "We have items to interest any patron, and today we are offering a lagniappe of free coffee with every purchase to new customers."

"Oh, uh, thank you, I'll keep that in mind," she said as she edged away from him.  Something about the man put her on edge, and before long she made her way out of the store sans purchase, never knowing how lucky she was to have escaped.

Dys Astyr

Today's word of the day is....

palliate
verb PAL-ee-ayt

Definition
1 : to reduce the violence of (a disease); also : to ease (symptoms) without curing the underlying disease
2 : to cover by excuses and apologies
3 : to moderate the intensity of
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

corvusul86

"The people are angry," Marcus said.  "They fume and boil with rage, fomenting rebellion and war.  What we do does little save provide a release of the worst of the pressure without fixing the causes."

"What do you suggest?" Serena asked.  "The difficulties faced by our people are many faceted.  No simple solution could resolve all of our woes."

"Perhaps not, but our efforts to palliate the unrest will fail in time," Marcus said.  "Everyday the conflict grows closer in spite of our efforts.  Soon the deluge with be unstoppable."

Serena frowned thoughtfully.  "Perhaps it's time to make plans for our escape."

Shores

He was a tendentious man who had favoured the Dogs all his life. Why would he suddenly switch allegiance to the Cats? There had to be something afoot and it was our duty to find out what and why.

Shores

"The fate of Dogs and Cats are interdigitate." He held his hands together and his fingers interlocked. "I realised that when I saw a kitten and puppy both being swept away in a storm drain. If we are to survive together on this world, we must co-operate."

Shores

He pulled out a small sweet cake from his coat pocket and handed it over to me. "A free gift for your purchase."

"But I didn't buy anything."

"You used your time to buy some of mine."

I tucked the lagniappe away in my coat pocket. "So, you're saying it's possible for Cats and Dogs to co-exist?"

Shores

"Well, I'm not too sure about co-existence, but we should be able to palliate the clashes. Cause less injury and mayhem in general."

"How?"

Theta Sigma

Apologies for the delay between words this week, folks! Do forgive us!

nuncupative
adjective NUN-kyoo-pay-tiv

Definition
1 : spoken rather than written : oral

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Verdi

Quote from: Theta Sigma on October 22, 2017, 02:32:04 PM
Apologies for the delay between words this week, folks! Do forgive us!

nuncupative
adjective NUN-kyoo-pay-tiv

Definition
1 : spoken rather than written : oral

He came in with a simple request, get the letters sent out by tonight or face punishment. Their stockholders deserved an explanation as to why their profits had gone down by 32% just this week. She nodded her head in submissive agreement that she would get the job done, but she couldn't put everything else on hold for it. Jessie had the job of fixing the stock problem, and only had a few days to do it, so sending out the letters took up valuable time that she didn't have. She tied her long brown hair into a knot at the back of her head and pushed up her glasses as she got down to business, working her fingers raw all day long as she wrote letters to stockholders, made phone calls to potential clients, and sent emails to business partners.

At the end of the day, however, it wasn't enough. Her boss entered the room without a knock. "Did you finish all of your tasks today?" She looked down as she hesitated to answer him, and he sighed a deep sigh as he watched her struggle to find her words, knowing that she hadn't done what he asked her to. He walked over to her and grabbed her and knotted his fingers in her hair, pulling her out of the chair and forcing her over the desk. "I told you there would be punishment, didn't I?"

She groaned as she nodded her head, her cheeks flushing red as he lifted up her skirt and rubbed his hand across her ass cheek. "Read the letter I made up that you failed to get sent out today." She found the letter on her desk and lifted it up to her face as she began to read it silently. "Nuncupative!" He yelled, causing her to flinch as she began to read the letter aloud with a broken voice. As she read, his hand came down on her ass over and over again, the pain causing her eyes to tear up and her voice to break even more.

When she was finished reading it, he commanded her to read it again and continued spanking her as she did so. Until she could obey, she would keep getting punishments like these, and he would continue to feel powerful knowing that he had himself a submissive plaything to look forward to every day at work.

Shores

"It started when my son found an orphan kitten on the street. He then found an orphan puppy. He brought the two home and raised them to get along together. Last year, he passed away. My son's nuncupative will was to see all dogs and cats in the world get along."

Theta Sigma

burke
verb BERK

Definition
1 : to suppress quietly or indirectly
2 : bypass, avoid

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Theta Sigma

pelf
noun PELF

Definition
1 : money, riches

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Wanderlost

Who was the one dealt the best of hands?
Who could have claimed the pot, had they known the game?
What a wealth of pelf and power replaced by little more than pretty sands
What worth was there in burking the prodigy?
Why then does he sit again when expected to stand?
Why try to square the circle when he could have circled to three squares?
For the sake of slapping the hand?
For the love of a challenge, or to burn away the brand
For himself, for her, or for happiness
To reclaim his pride

Theta Sigma

overwhelm
verb oh-ver-WELM

Definition
1 : upset, overthrow
2a : to cover over completely : submerge
b : to overcome by superior force or numbers
c : to overpower in thought or feeling

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

wander

The big match was coming up, Guild Ball was the game played in the Empire of Free Cities where the power that each Guild was decided from. The Guilds could show off their best and brightest along with shows of wealth for the Union members they could hire, all in a near brutal game of kick about. It was industrial competitiveness at it's most involving for the population to watch, to show off, have some fun and make a bit of coin in a public manner as well as a more clandestine one. Today's match was a big one for the members of the Butcher's Guild and one that today's captain, the beautiful brunette lady known as Fillet, was going to make sure would be a winner for them.

Patting their mascot, the dog the team affectionately called Princess on the head, they were ready to go out there on the field for kick off. They held good Influence in this coming match and the prize was a particularly able transfer to the team if they could get past this match in the league. Her players included such talented individuals as the young lad known as Boiler, a steam punk kid who knew biology well enough for a good tackle when needed. They knew they'd overwhelm the other side with the chosen trio for this game being sexy redhead Brisket, the wild blonde Meathook and the veteran mass of muscle known as Ox. Today would be a great match indeed!

Theta Sigma

slapdash
adjective SLAP-dash

Definition
1 : done or made without careful planning : haphazard, slipshod

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Scalerender

The stinging pain was the first thing Andrew Blythe felt when waking up, the next was a throbbing headache that pulsed from his head all the way down his neck and shoulders. The groan that escaped him was long and drawn out and also revealed the dryness of his mouth, the back of his throat felt like it was going to tear and the lingering bitter taste almost made him gag. His entire body felt heavy as he sat up sluggishly, for a moment holding onto his head as he leaned his elbows on his knees.

He had drank way too much...

As he sat there considering going back to sleep the piercing sounds of his alarm drived spikes into his skull. He winced and snapped.
"Alarm off!" Instantly the holographic projection on his night table deactivated and he grunted. He sighed deeply, counted down from three and rose. The sound of his bare feet padding through the small one person apartment echoed, automated lighting systems activated as he passed, the smart kitchen winked into activity and started preparing breakfast and coffee. Holovid screens came to life and displayed weather updates and short information bursts concerning the latest events around the Megacity. Andrew was just about starting to return to the land of the living when his wandering gaze fell on his agenda for the day.

"Oh .... ffssssHHIT!!!"

Andrew suddenly bursted into activity, knocking over his cup of coffee and running into the bathroom for a quick shower. He almost tripped as he ran out drying himself after barely a minute and started dressing up hastily. The Anderson Meeting, he'd completely forgotten about it despite the importance it had to the company, serves him right for indulging in his drinking yesterday. Andrew's mind ran over the most important points in his head while he activated his AR(augmented reality) overlay on his lenses. He'd have about 35 minutes to get his ac together but a slapdash presentation was all he'd be able to muster, hopefully it would be enough. As the doors behind him closed after he rushed out the small cleaning drones in his apartment activated and went to work in the suddenly peaceful apartment.

Theta Sigma

Yesterday's word of the day was....

wardrobe
noun WOR-drohb

Definition
1a : a room or closet where clothes are kept
b : a receptacle for clothes : clothespress
c : a large trunk in which clothes may be hung upright
2a : a collection of wearing apparel (as of one person or for one activity)
b : a collection of stage costumes and accessories
3 : the department of a royal or noble household entrusted with the care of wearing apparel, jewels, and personal articles

alfresco
adjective or adverb al-FRESS-koh

Definition
1 : taking place or located in the open air : outdoor, outdoors

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Shores

"Perhaps we could find a way to burke them." General Dawg poked at the valley on the map. "Pay them off instead of risking war."

Shores

"All the pelf in the world could not pay them off." Advisor Boneson shook his head. "They do not want war for our money. They want it to annihilate our species."

Shores

"Might I suggest another way?" The local merchant from Ruffway appeared from the shadows. "We pour oil into their valley, set them ablaze, and when they escape, overwhelm them with our army."

Shores

"That is a brilliant plan!" Advisor Boneson nodded. "But it must be done with careful preparation. We cannot be slapdash with it."

Shores

"I agree. I must make show my wardrobe is adequately prepared for when we win the war and all the cat skins are hung up on my shoulders for the world to see!" General Dawg puffed out his chest.

Shores

The alfresco market in Dog Harbour was amazing. I munched on a fruit as I strolled through the thronging masses, the heat of the sun shining down on me.

ZephyrInk

The lavishness of the wedding was seen in the way it was held under the alfresco air, twinkling lights running along the trees and blaring of the music that welcomed the guests. Maria knew that she was already late and she blamed her sister's pathetic wardrobe for that, having not found anything that would have passed as being formal enough for a wedding. She could tell she was late with the way she had spotted the black tuxedo and the brilliant white tulle dress flitting around the expanse. It meant she had missed the ceremony. She had mentally braced herself for her friend's outrage at her tardiness. There was no escaping it now. She ambled on towards the thicket of the crowd and headed straight for the drinks counter. "Water please", she panted and the waiter nodded curtly at her before he shuffled around.