News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dys Astyr

Today's word of the day is....

glabrous
adjective GLAY-brus

Definition
1 : smooth; especially : having a surface without hairs or projections
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

corvusul86

"Here it is, the latest, top of the line model, just out of the assembly nodule," the salesman said.  "Don't underestimate its size, it'll grow over the next few weeks depending on how much you feed it.  Enough raw material and this baby can grow to full frigate size."

"Hmm," Serena said, rubbing a hand gently along the soft, delicate pink skin.  It was warm and smooth, far more so than any human she had ever touched.  "Why doesn't it have any cilia?"

"It's the latest model, travels via sub-dermal aetheric perturbations," he explained.  "The skin is bred to be glabrous, which reduces drag during hyperspace maneuvers."

"Alright, you've got yourself a deal."

Pheal

Slowly he regained consciousness, trying to get a steady foot under him.

"Uh ... where am I" he mumbled while staggering forward, or what he thought was forward. It was hard to tell without any light. After a few staggering steps something appeared in his path. With a raised hand in an attempt to feel where this .. thing was however he could not locate it.

Suddenly he felt something moving slowly up his legs and in under his shirt .. suddenly not able to move he felt something smooth and cold move up his spine and then around his neck to appear a few inches from his face, he noted that the item was glabrous and somehow wanted to lure him further in to the dark.

Dys Astyr

holus-bolus
adverb hoh-lus-BOH-lus

Definition
1 : all at once

corvusul86

"Alright, you ready for today?" Anya asked.

"As I'll ever be," Sri said, shrugging slightly.  "Is this really the best way to sell our product?"

"Oh yes, I've been doing this for years now," Anya said.  "All we need to do is wait until they come pouring in holus-bolus, and with that many at least one is going to be thirsty.  Being a semi-hiveminded species, just one is all it takes and the entire crowd will be lining up to buy refreshments.  It might be an exhausting hour, but we sell more this way than in entire week in the human district.  We'll get the money."

"I hope you're right," Sri said as she saw the flood of insectile humanoids pouring out of the megacorps office building.  "Here they come."

Shores

He bit into the glabrous fruit, the hairless skin making it easy to eat after just a wash without peeling. Quietly, he swallowed the seeds, intending to bring the fruit back to his hometown. It would fit in handsomely in his orchard.

Shores

The train pulled to a stop and the customers stormed the shops holus-bolus, all of them rushing to buy food in the short break they had. It was then that her child slipped from her hand, and camera records showed that the little boy wandered back onto the train. A quick search determined he was nowhere to be found in any cabins and this was how the mystery started.

Dys Astyr

Apologies once again folks. >_> I swear I'm not making a habit of this.

Yesterdays's word of the day is....

shofar
noun SHOH-far

Definition
1 : the horn of an animal (usually a ram) blown as a trumpet by the ancient Hebrews in battle and during religious observances and used in modern Judaism especially during Rosh Hashanah and at the end of Yom Kippur

yeasty
adjective YEE-stee

Definition
1 : of, relating to, or resembling yeast
2a : immature, unsettled
2b : marked by change
2c : full of vitality
2d : frivolous

corvusul86

"Be careful, the objects in here are... unique," Dr. Andrev said as he lead her into the secure vault under the museum.

Most of the objects looked somewhat unassuming.  There were old tools, a chair, stacks of books, several hunks of broken wood, a cheap wooden cup, and an animal horn.  Sandy raised an eyebrow while looking at each of them.  "So... what is all this stuff?"

"Mystical relics," Dr. Andrev explained while pulling down binders of documents and flipping through them.  "These are too powerful to have sitting out in the open, so we keep them here."

"Huh," Sandy said, looking at the objects more closely.  "What's this one?"

"Be careful!" Andrev said.  "That was the shofar that destroyed the walls of Jericho!"

Sandy blinked and looked at it closer.  "Really?"

"Oh yes," Andrev agreed.  "We tested it once about thirty years ago.  One puff from a believer and it'll collapse any amount of masonry."

"You're having me on," Sandy said.  "What's next, those hunks of wood come from the the cross?"

"Well..."

"This is awful," Carol said, wrinkling her nose in disgust.

The bar was absolutely filthy.  The floor was sticky, the counters chipped, the stools broken.  The bartender stank of stale sweat, and all of the other patrons were rough and unkempt.

"I know!" Haley complained.  "It's the worst!"

"Then let's get out of here," Carol said, grateful that her partner wasn't going to try to hang around the filthy place any longer.

"Ah come on, just 'cause the house brew's a little yeasty doesn't mean it's all bad.  We should at least try one more of the local beers..."

"That was your problem!?!"

Pheal

"do not do it!" said Ron

"Why not, it is not like anything will go wrong, right" Jon said while placing the shofar to his mouth and exhaled.

The loud shriek from the shofar echoed in the chamber and was carried down the corridor. Then there was silence.

"See, nothing. Told you this place was empty" Said Jon with a yeasty tone of voice.
A few moments later there was an strong echoing sound of metal boots running towards their location.
"We need to run NOW!" yelled Ron.
Shortly the room was filled with armed guards pointing their weapons at Jon, who did not find his way out of the chamber fast enough.

Shores

"Are your lungs big enough to blow the shofar?"

"I don't know! I'll have to try it to find out."

"There is no try! You must blow it the first time or the enemy will kill you in the time it takes you to draw breath for the second. Blow and duck!"

"I can only really try. Isn't that enough?"

Shores

He was a yeasty goat with a beastly appetite. Whichever paddock we kept him in, he trimmed the grass down in two nights. He made it such that we had to borrow the neighbour's meadows. By the time he was full-grown, he had the nickname "Lawnmower of Satan".

Dys Astyr

toothsome
adjective TOOTH-sum

Definition
1 : agreeable, attractive
2 : of palatable flavor and pleasing texture : delicious

corvusul86

"So, I'm given to understand that you're lookin' to make a deal, Ms.?"

"Fletcher," she said.  "Antonia Fletcher."

"Well, Ms. Antonia Fletcher, what exactly are you lookin' to do?"

She kept her eyes locked on the hulking, crocodile headed creature hunched over his plate.  He was slowly stuffing some kind of squirming, semi-material substance into his toothy maw, devouring it with a relish as arms pushed out from it, trying to pry the material out of his mouth before it could be swallowed.  As he bit down she saw a face form, screaming in horrible torment, before he finally swallowed it whole.

"I understand that you have significant political influence, Mr. Sobek," she said, her expression blank despite the horror she was feeling.

"I do indeed," he confirmed.  "I take it you have certain ambitions?"

"Yes," she said.

"Excellent," he crowed, taking another huge bite.  "Ah, innocent souls are so toothsome.  Tell me, do you have anyone willing to give theirs up for you?  Damned souls just lack that tenderness of the guiltless."

"I'm sure that something can be arranged," she said.

"Excellent," Sobek said.  "To power."

"To power."

lillyeyes

The pastry was small, not much bigger then a baby's fist, and looked to have the consistency of cooked hair. Three girls looked down at it, one looking hopeful, on with doubt, and one girl stuck her tongue out at it, grimacing. "Eve this doesn't even look like food," She groaned.
"No listen, my grandma swears that its the bestest thing she ever ate when she was a kid" Eve encouraged.
"Your grandmother said 'bestest,'" The tallest of the three girls asked.
"Well she said it was toothsome, delicate as spun glass, heavenly as-"
"So it's good basically" The blonde girl said cutting her off. After Eve nodded excitedly the blonde girl brought a fork down on it, mushing it against the bottom of the porcelain bowl. The tall girl smacked her on the back of the head, "Don't play with it Mary," she admonished her. Mary rolled her eyes and said " Dal I'm just making sure that it doesn't start moving"
"Fair point" Dal coincided, making Eve huff. "Guys let me try it first then, if none of you can take this seriously." Eve said snatching the fork away from Mary before taking a chunk of it and popping it into her mouth.
"So is it any good?" Mary questioned while Eve swallowed it in one big gulp.
"I think my grandma played a prank on me" Eve cried racing out of the room towards the bathroom were the girls could hear her spiting it up. Mary swallowed her laughter while Dal sighed went into the kitchen to bring out the ice-cream for the three of them.

Shores

The meat was toothsome, and he ate until the whole platter was clear. It was only on examining a bone that he discovered what it was he had been eating.

persephone325

legerity
noun luh-JAIR-uh-tee

Definition
: alert facile quickness of mind or body
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

corvusul86

"You don't have a chance," he said.  "I've never let anyone past."

She studied him for a moment.  "I admit, having one-hundred arms is pretty impressive.  I wonder though, do you have the legerity to make them matter?"

"Huh?"

She blurred past, moving so quickly that the eye couldn't follow, leaving the hecatonchires long in her dust.

Shores

She had the legerity of a cat as she bounded along the walls, making her way towards the estate. Alas, she was foiled by the bane of many cat's existence - motion detectors lights. They flickered on and cast a spotlight on her hunting grounds, making her retreat to get the jewels another day. Someone had tipped them off.

persephone325

anathematize
verb uh-NATH-uh-muh-tyze

Definition
: curse, denounce
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

corvusul86

"Alright, the hallway has a lot of security, but we're ready to go," Marcus said.

"What will you do if you find a tripwire?" Kelly asked.

"Step over it."

"Laser grid?"

"Aerosols to detect the beams, then move through them."

"Guard dogs?"

"Tranquilisor darts."

"Living paintings?"

"Turpentine sprayers."

"Objects designed to anathematize intruders?"

"Anti-curse wards."

"What about-"

"We're prepared," Marcus said, cutting her off.

Kelly rolled her eyes.  "Fine.  But if you find your eyeballs boiling in their sockets because you weren't prepared for anti-aqueous humour fields, don't come crying to me."

"I doubt I could if my eyeballs boil," Marcus pointed out.  "We'll be fine."

ZephyrInk

The man skimmed over the darkened pages of the ledger, running his fingers carefully over the faint lettering until he found what he was looking for. “Eureka, at last”, he whipped around to search for the elven woman and she sauntered over to him, a dawdling sigh leaving her as she peered over his shoulder and looked down at the lettering, “that doesn’t help much. It’s a start but it wouldn’t help I’m afraid. If we are to win this battle, we need to anathematize the oracle. Hard job to do and definitely rare to even capture one let alone be successful in this”. She swatted her hand over the book and dust flew over his face. He coughed and stepped back before his hands grasped at his throat. Wheezy and with eyes widened, he turned to her and croaked out, “if you have …any other ideas, I’m all ears”.

She sighed at that, he was right. This was their best chance to get at the oracle who had thwarted their plans and destroyed their personal lives. This was revenge Malaika was determined to carry through, no matter what. 

Shores

The King anathematized his son after finding out about the uprising he was planning, causing everyone in Court to stop speaking to him. But sensing someone else pulling the strings behind the scenes, he did not execute him but sought out an investigation instead.

persephone325

broadside
noun BRAWD-syde

Definition
1 a : a sizable sheet of paper printed on one side; also : a sheet of paper printed on one or both sides and folded (such as for mailing)

b : something (such as a ballad) printed on a broadside

2 : all the guns on one side of a ship; also : their simultaneous discharge

3 : a volley of abuse or denunciation : a strongly worded attack

4 : a broad or unbroken surface
I don't know.

corvusul86

Janice was thrown across the hallway, slamming into the wall with enough force to make her see stars.  The entire ship lurched again as she desperately tried to regain her balance, before she finally just ignored her dizziness, leaning on the walls as she staggered to the bridge.

"Report," she ordered.

"Unidentified ship, they just opened fire," Lt. Advic said, his voice buzzing with fear as his antennae stood on end.

"On screen," she said.  "All hands to battle stations, and get the damn shields online."

"Yes, captain!" one of the other bridge crew called.

The holo display came on, revealing an angular ship covered in spines.  It was a violent looking vessel, and even without recognizing it Janice felt a chill run down her spine.  It was only moments later that she realized that the ship was turning, running an angular path before them.

"Evasive maneuvers!" she shouted.  "Evasive, now!  Emergency power to the shields!"

It was too late, as the last thing she saw was the full broadside barrage of the alien ship as it opened fire, tearing them to pieces.