~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shores

"Calling him useless is not going to help matters. Your acerbic words is only going to tear the team apart."

"He has to know what he did wrong. I can't always be there to pick up the pieces after another of his inventions go wrong."

"But they work right most of the time. That should be enough to at least warrant some respect."

"I can't rely on something that only works three-quarters of the time. He has to double-check his work more often or he's getting the boot."

Sofia Grace

Today's word of the day is....

nudnik
noun NOOD-nik (the "OO" is as in "good")

Definition
: a person who is a bore or nuisance
i am a fire
gasoline, come pour yourself all over me
we'll let this place go down in flames
only one more time

[ O/O ] [ A/A ]

Shores

He was a nudnik through and through. When he stepped up to give the speech, half the audience fell asleep while the other half left the auditorium. The only person who enjoyed what he said was me, which was why we got married later. I don't know if that means I'm the bigger bore for finding him so interesting, but I was always taught to try and find the good side to people.

Rhedyn

Lythandra peered out of the arched window and over the immense sprawl of the city below as she awaited the arrival of yet another possible suitor that her parents had deemed worthwhile to meet with her. Truth be told they were desperate to find someone; anyone who might tempt at least her thoughts if not her heart away from her infatuation with the dashing and, in their opinion, highly unsuitable Aindan.

According to them it was not proper for an elf and dwarf to share an ale and a story or two together. Apparently their two races were incompatible in most every way and yet she could not help the thrill that ran through her body when she thought of the gruff, crass sound of his voice of the abundance of thick hair that grew on his face that was so exotic and enticing compared to the smooth skin of the elven people. They were polar opposites; contradictions in terms and that attracted her.

It helped, of course, that he was no nudnik, unlike every one of the possibilities brought to her on a near daily basis. Where they were finding all of these elves was anyone’s guess, Lythandra was fairly certain at this point that they were picking them from the dullest that society had to offer or combing the streets in desperation. Not that any of them could stand to compare to her stout and muscular dwarven crush.   

Dys Astyr

Brenwyr flared her coat dramatically, placing herself at the center of attention just as she had been taught. She pointed to one of the noble dandies, clearly much for coin with little else to offer, and shouted. "You cur, shall evade me no more." She had no idea who the man was, and had never seen him before. He was gaping at her, as if she were a monkey escaped from the carnival.

"I demand the satisfaction of the sword!" All eyes were upon them now, her voice had carried so as to draw the attention of everyone in the square. The tall woman did a half turn and struck another pose that Kern had taught her, making the one-sided exchange as dramatic as possible. "Or are you a coward as well as a liar?" Such an inflammatory comment could not be unanswered, lest the man's reputation be permanently marred.

It would be hard to keep up a show with such a nudnik , the fool's clumsiness already apparent as he fumbled for his blade. Brenwyr hoped her teacher was already cutting purse strings, because once their blades crossed things would be over quickly. A painstakingly practiced twirl saw her own plain blade drawn and at the ready. She couldn't help but smirk, this was her favorite part.
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

Caedy

malleable
adjective MAL-ee-uh-bul

Definition
1. capable of being extended or shaped by beating with a hammer or by the pressure of rollers

2. a. capable of being altered or controlled by outside forces or influences
     b. having a capacity for adaptive change
No New Games At This Time
A/A updated Important: 6/2/17
Caedy's Pretty Things (SFW&NSFW)
Blog: My Bullet Journal Journey
Word of the Day
~...still like air, I'll Rise...~ Maya Angelou

Shores

Her malleable mind was what pleased him the most about her. No matter what he threw at her, she seemed to adapt to it like a duck to water. From being handcuffed in the desert to only having a spear while she was attacked by cannibals, her performance had been outstanding on all accounts. She had even caused some instructors to re-evaluate their portion of the training manual. The only question left was which company she wanted to go to, and that was why he had called her to his office today.

ZephyrInk

The glassworker beamed at the malleability of the vase as he rotated the paddles around, the dangers of the heat emanating from it secondary to his satisfaction as he shaped the piece. Behind him, on the staircase his eager eyed son looked on, hands clasped around the frail railing as he watched his father work. The basement was otherwise dark and cramped, walls lines with glasses of all shapes and sizes, some hinting a fall if lightly nudged.

A lone bulb flickered in the center of the room and the man sighed, finally settling the equipment carefully down. He yanked the goggles off and winced. If one peered close enough they would see the indentations left by them, but that was the price he had to pay for this job and one he willingly paid; to keep the profession alive in this small town. To uphold the promise he had made to her.

A soft voice startled him and he turned around, “father. Is that for her?” and the man smiled widely, “Yes, it is.”

Dys Astyr

The Watcher was displeased at being summoned by a mortal. Only the very strong and the very foolish ever attempted to summon it, the strong kept things as short and concise as possible, the fools on the other hand tended to babble incoherently until they succumbed to either madness or death. Neither option had any appeal. The mortal that summoned the Watcher today failed to be either. Something was different about this one, the mortal wasn't encased in hard layers of mental shielding yet somehow was able to stand in the presence of the ancient being and remain sane. There was something malleable, almost fluid about the the strange mortal. The Watcher found this curious indeed.

Caedy

inanition
noun in-uh-NISH-un

Definition
1 : the exhausted condition that results from lack of food and water
2 : the absence or loss of social, moral, or intellectual vitality or vigor
No New Games At This Time
A/A updated Important: 6/2/17
Caedy's Pretty Things (SFW&NSFW)
Blog: My Bullet Journal Journey
Word of the Day
~...still like air, I'll Rise...~ Maya Angelou

Shores

Her inanition made it hard to perform, but it felt like if she ate too much, that she would lose her figure. It was a conundrum she didn't want to be caught in anymore, so she left the dance troupe and started up her own business with her savings. It was a quaint cafe right outside the theater. A Dance with Coffee thus became known for its beautiful clientele, her dance contacts going there for their caffeine hit the morning before and after a great performance.

RampantDesires

Yesterday's word of the day was....

torpedo
noun tor-PEE-doh

Definition
1 : electric ray
2 : a weapon (such as a thin cylindrical self-propelled underwater projectile) for destroying ships by rupturing their hulls below the waterline
3 : a large sandwich on a long split roll with any of a variety of fillings : submarine

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

RampantDesires

concatenate
verb kahn-KAT-uh-nayt

Definition
: to link together in a series or chain

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Shores

It had never been his dream to be a torpedo. Who wanted to be fired underwater, never seeing the light of day again, and then causing hundreds to be sent to a watery grave? No, Torpedo Tommy wanted something more for himself. Why couldn't he have been created a paintbrush? Then he could have created hundreds of works of art before being thrown away. Even if he had spent the next hundred years on a landfill, that would have been an infinitely more fulfilling life than the one he was in now. So, for the hundredth time, Torpedo Tommy caused a jam in the mechanism that would release him. He heard whispers and then found himself being unloaded.

And that was how Torpedo Tommy found himself inside a museum, right between two paintings made during the war.

Shores

"With his fifth book out, you can actually concatenate all five books on a shelf here."

"But why would I need five books about how to cook chicken? Isn't it better to buy chickens and experiment instead?"

"What happens if a customer wants chicken for dessert? What are you going to do then?"

Dys Astyr

"Your mother wasn't crazy," she pointed at the mirror, which gave a view of the window behind them and the gnarled old tree. "She was just unfortunate enough for things to concatenate in such a way that no one else could possibly understand." She reached out, trailing fingers down the slightly warped surface of the old mirror. "Do you know if this was here when they initially moved in?"

"I think so, yea."

She nodded, a faint smile on her lips while her eyes shone with a distant sadness. "It was likely placed here on purpose. This room has obvious appeal to any young woman, seeing as there were no other children it was a fair guess that your mother would chose this one. A dream room with direct line to nightmares. No, your mother wasn't crazy, she was just scared and desperate. A mouse placed in a cage with a snake... Only no one wanted to believe the snake was real."

Beautiful Mystery

unabashed
adjective un-uh-BASHT

Definition
1 : not embarrassed or ashamed by something that has happened or been done or said : undisguised, unapologetic
Check A/A
The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns.
He comes dressed as everything you have wished for.
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

ZephyrInk

There was always competition between them and Maria constantly wanted to be in the spotlight. Was it vanity or just hatred for the other girl, she never said, but I knew her better. Even at the party last night, she appeared unabashed when asked about tripping Elena down the hall, and that made me angry. I still remember her welled up eyes as she ran past us head bowed down, knees bruised from the fall. Part of me wanted to run after her, to hug her but Maria's hand had pulled me away. If it wasn't for what I had owed her, I would have left her there but I couldn't. That was my weakness and it perturbed me that such a vile person could have that kind of control over someone. 

Shores

The way he conducted business in an unabashed manner, swallowing competitors and then cutting the workforce, endeared him to his father. He had been trained well, which was why it came as a surprise when his sister inherited the company from his grandfather. She had not been seen even in the day-to-day operations of the place, and yet here she was, a majority shareholder speaking to the employees.

Sofia Grace

skosh
noun SKOHSH

Definition
small amount : bit, smidgen
i am a fire
only one more time

[ O/O ] [ A/A ]

Dys Astyr

Clan Father Void-Walker was an imposing figure, one that clearly had earned admiration and respect. Yet Joachim couldn't help himself.

"You are a female." Such an unabashed question from an outsider. Only after speaking the words did the idea that it might potentially have been a misstep occur to him. The long moment of silence was broken by the Clan Father's hearty laughter, the chains of her ceremonial beard chiming ever so slightly. Soon the clan hall was filled with laughter.

"The son of Mars does not veil his speech!" The tall woman's eyes glowed with amusement as she spoke, the sound of laughter subsiding as people returned to their work. "You are correct, but here among the clans father is not a title reserved for men who sire children. There is much for you to learn while you dwell among us."

Shores

"You just need a skosh of paprika in the soup, otherwise your guests will be breathing fire." The cooking show host then proceeded to add a shake of it from the bottle, though to her eyes, it was definitely much more than she could tolerate. People sure liked their heat in this country. She got up from the armchair and pulled back the curtains, surveying the hot sweltering street outside. How she missed the cool air of her home.

Dys Astyr

There were hundred of bottles and vials, of every size and shape, filled with all manner of strange liquids. His eyes were drawn from one to the next, some glowing faintly, some glimmering as if twinkling starlight filled them, still others seemed to change under his gaze. He really shouldn't be here, a quiet thought that couldn't overpower his ever growing curiosity. Then his eyes fell upon one that pushed all other thoughts from his mind, the liquid inside was a pale amber color like late afternoon sunlight and it was warm too though he didn't recall reaching out to pick it up. Still it was in his hand and despite the cork he could smell it, earthy and sweet making his mouth water. Before he could stop himself he had uncorked the bottle. Just a quick skosh couldn't hurt. The cool glass of the bottle touching his lips sent a shiver down his spine. Without realizing he drank the whole bottle, body crumpling softly to the floor as the world shifted around him.

Sofia Grace

abdicate
verb AB-dih-kayt

Definition
1 : to renounce a throne, high office, dignity, or function
2 : to relinquish (something, such as sovereign power) formally
3 : to cast off : discard
i am a fire
only one more time

[ O/O ] [ A/A ]

Shores

On the fiftieth year of her reign, she abdicated her throne, then ran off to the Bahamas for surf, sand, and sun. It took a while for her bodyguards to be at ease, but she soon became known as the Surf Queen, a title which she kept until her glorious death by shark.