Roaring 20ies/Speakeasy/Gangster & Crime Stories [Open to all]

Started by Nico, April 29, 2015, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaverickKane

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on May 14, 2015, 09:52:10 PM
So, would it be possible for there to be a male character who dresses as a female in the game? Name would be unisex. He'd wear makeup, shave, and look the part so heads wouldn't turn though deep down he's comfortable with being a man he just likes to dress like a female. Thought I'd ask. :)

Nicholas and I talked it over and we don't have a problem with it, just as long as you are aware there can be/ will be consequences, should someone learn the truth.

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: MaverickKane on May 14, 2015, 11:27:01 PM
Nicholas talked it over and we don't have a problem with it, just as long as you are aware there can be/ will be consequences, should someone learn the truth.

Completely understood. Thank you for getting back to me.

MaverickKane

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on May 14, 2015, 11:31:11 PM
Completely understood. Thank you for getting back to me.

No problem and sorry about that typo. Was supposed to say "Nicholas and I." Lol. My brain is mush tonight.

Nico

Quote from: MaverickKane on May 14, 2015, 11:33:35 PM
No problem and sorry about that typo. Was supposed to say "Nicholas and I." Lol. My brain is mush tonight.
~snugs~ 's okay. Getting late for you, man!

Hazy Sky

Morning,

I have a few thoughts that are still coalescing into a character concept. Currently I have the idea of an immigrant, probably Austrian, with a bit of thing for fast, powerful four cylinder motorcycles. I haven't worked out his background or even if he's a good or bad guy yet. Probably a bit of both to be honest. I know this is a bit vague at the moment, but are then any issues with this concept as it stands?
Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

MaverickKane

Quote from: skyre on May 15, 2015, 04:43:41 AM
Morning,

I have a few thoughts that are still coalescing into a character concept. Currently I have the idea of an immigrant, probably Austrian, with a bit of thing for fast, powerful four cylinder motorcycles. I haven't worked out his background or even if he's a good or bad guy yet. Probably a bit of both to be honest. I know this is a bit vague at the moment, but are then any issues with this concept as it stands?

I don't see any problem with it.

Hazy Sky

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Nico

Quote from: skyre on May 15, 2015, 04:43:41 AM
Morning,

Sounds good to me, as long as it's not a wealthy character We've got enough of those.

Hazy Sky

Quote from: Nicholas on May 15, 2015, 08:33:12 AM
Sounds good to me, as long as it's not a wealthy character We've got enough of those.

I definitely wasn't planning on that, but I will be doubly sure to avoid it. :)

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Nico

Quote from: skyre on May 15, 2015, 08:37:00 AM
I definitely wasn't planning on that, but I will be doubly sure to avoid it. :)
Thank you! We're trying to maintain some balance and all this. ~nodnod~

Hazy Sky

Not a problem. I try to be reasonable and helpful wherever possible. :)

I've been doing a bit more thinking. Any issues with him being a Bureau of Investigation or more likely a Bureau of Prohibition agent or private detective working undercover, if I can make the background work?

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Nico

Quote from: skyre on May 15, 2015, 08:47:20 AM
Not a problem. I try to be reasonable and helpful wherever possible. :)

I've been doing a bit more thinking. Any issues with him being a Bureau of Investigation or more likely a Bureau of Prohibition agent or private detective working undercover, if I can make the background work?
I don't see a problem with it. We already have one Cop (and another one will follow). Might be a hook for connections right there.

Heartsink

Nico

Quote from: Heartsink on May 16, 2015, 02:34:51 PM
Yup, one corrupt and one more legit than less :P  C:)
And both are fun! ;D The corrupt ones because writing corrupt cops can be fun, and the legit ones are fun because they have to put up with all the crap. :P

Nico

And we are, of course, still accepting new characters. :-) I doubt we will close recruitment anytime soon.

Heartsink

Yep, also possible ideas for characters for those lurking on this thread:

1921 was still all about gender roles despite the recent victory of women to get the right to vote.

For men:

• Factory worker
  • Accountant
  • Tool and die maker
  • Inventor
  • Trolley operator
  • Fireman
  • Railroad worker
  • Carpenter

For women:

• Nurse
  • Bookkeeper
  • Maid
  • Cashier
  • Store clerk
  • Teacher
  • Librarian
When you get married, you are expected to leave your job and rely on your husband, at the time, so most women working would be young or too old to get married. At home, women did handcrafts to bring in money such as quilting and also washing and other chores.

Madriv

Quote from: Heartsink on May 22, 2015, 03:20:12 PM
When you get married, you are expected to leave your job and rely on your husband, at the time, so most women working would be young or too old to get married. At home, women did handcrafts to bring in money such as quilting and also washing and other chores.

In 1921, just coming out of the war, some women were reluctant to give up "men's jobs" but they were more or less forced out of most industries thanks to the American Federation of Labor. One place they were pushed to stay was in textile mill/garment factory work.

There was demand for a growing secretarial/clerical workforce: typists, filing clerks, stenographers.  Hotel workers. In department stores there was real potential for women to work up to becoming designers or buyers. There were more women journalists, women creating & writing literary journals, women's magazines. Entertainers, dancing, acting (stage and radio and film), and singing.

A really cool female character would be a professional medium, someone who bilks people by pretending to talk to the dead. Men did it too, but women were the most successful and popular mediums.

Nico

Quote from: Madmartigan on May 23, 2015, 09:26:04 AM

A really cool female character would be a professional medium, someone who bilks people by pretending to talk to the dead. Men did it too, but women were the most successful and popular mediums.
This would rock so hard. Those 'ghost calling sessions' were THE things in that era!

MaverickKane

Many of them were actually Roma/Gypsies/Travelers. The men were often horse and mule handlers and traders, and women made jewelry or baskets to sell or told fortunes. Course those stuck mostly to the country side i think, rather than the city.

Madriv

Nico

Quote from: Madmartigan on May 23, 2015, 08:39:20 PM
I refer to the craze of Spiritualism. New York City was lousy with it in the 1920s.

http://seanmunger.com/2014/03/16/spiritualism-the-1920s-obsession-with-the-dead/

And Harry Houdini loved debunking them.

http://www.thegreatharryhoudini.com/occult.html
So true that!

And on another matter - The Speakeasy could go with a manager, I think.

joaniedark

This all looks like a load of fun! I submitted an application.

Also, I agree it'd be amazing if there was a medium character. They're my favorite kind of con artist, really.
O/Os~*~AO3

GnothiSeauton

I need to stop lurking here and do a female character...

...but am having the worst time trying to come up with an occupation and concept...
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

MaverickKane

Quote from: joaniedark on May 27, 2015, 06:54:40 PM
This all looks like a load of fun! I submitted an application.

Also, I agree it'd be amazing if there was a medium character. They're my favorite kind of con artist, really.

Thanks for your interest and application! Nicholas and I will look it over tomorrow. I will be in bed soon.

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on May 27, 2015, 08:08:10 PM
I need to stop lurking here and do a female character...

...but am having the worst time trying to come up with an occupation and concept...

There are lots of occupations. I believe some have been listed here and there in this thread, in fact. But I'll see if I can help you out with occupations at least, tomorrow.

Faustus

A medium character is desired, hm? I might be able to work out something for that!

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]