Warhammer 40k: Black Crusade

Started by Life on Mars, September 10, 2014, 09:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life on Mars

No longer looking for more applicants! Thanks for looking, if this goes well I hope to do more in the future!

It is the 41st Millennium...
For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the Daemon-infested miasma of the warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomicon, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor’s will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the Tech-Priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus, to name but a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants, and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget, the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

Yet there are those who rise above the teeming masses, rejecting the conformity and servility of mankind. The ignorant call them traitors, heretics, lost, and damned—but they know themselves as the Disciples of the Dark Gods.

Hello and allow me to introduce myself. I am Life on Mars and I shall be your GM of Chaos this evening. I am offering to run a Warhammer 40k game using the Black Crusade rulebook and set within the Screaming Vortex. Anyone who enjoys the Warhammer setting and wants to pledge themselves to the Dark Gods is welcome to join though I work best with about 4-5 players.

For the beginning the players will be answering an invitation by the Oracle Copax, of the Temple of Lies, far off on the planet of Kymerus. They know naught what they will find there only knowing that "the future of the Screaming Vortex depends on it" as the invitation said.
This is the introductory adventure included in the core book and a good starter adventure. If you've already played it I don't mind if you join, just don't use occ knowledge. If EVERYONE has played this already I will run a different introduction to the game.

Characters will be made using the alternative point system included in the rulebook so everyone can make what they want. DO NOT, however, post characters here. Once we have all the players I find it's better they discuss their character ideas first so the party has good synergy.  I also own the supplemental "Tomes" for the chaos gods (including the recently released Tome of Decay for Nurgle, which is awesome) so if people wanted to use appropriate rules from them, such as the Legacy Weapons from Tome of Blood or the expanded minions from Tome of Excess, they will be welcome to.

Because this game focuses on disciples of chaos, some of whom might be sexy cultists of Slaanesh*, sex could totally happen in this game. Violent, surprising sex (Sisters of Battle won't corrupt themselves after all) With that in mind I aim to put it in the Extreme section so there is plenty of leeway, but I don't plan on having sex the main focus of the game.

*remember kids: Slaanesh isn't just about sex! There are plenty of other vices to try, like drugs or eating people!

This is my first time running a group game on this site (I have run play-by-post before though) so any advice is appreciated!

Anyone interested?

TheGlyphstone

deadmanshand

I just promised myself that I wouldn't join any new games until my health was a little more stable - and then you post this. Fuck. *reluctantly raises hand* Interested.

Life on Mars

Great to hear! Forgot to mention, and I'll add it to the first post,  that I also own the supplemental "Tomes" for the chaos gods (including hte recently released Tome of Decay for Nurgle, which is awesome) so if people wanted to use appropriate rules from them, such as the Legacy Weapons from Tome of Blood or the expanded minions from Tome of Excess, they will be welcome to.

Jaded

I'm interested, though will have to go over the rulebook as have read it but never played it. 

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Life on Mars

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 11, 2014, 03:10:39 AM
Interested. Looking to play my Night Lord.

Like the specific archetype of Night Lord found in the tomes, or just as your backstory? I was planning on starting people off at normal xp levels.

TheGlyphstone

I'm eyeballing the two psykers from Tome of Fate - Magisterus Immaterial, and Thousand Sons Sorcerer - with copious glee.

Do you plan on suggesting/pressuring for an all-Marine or all-Heretic group, presumably whichever the players prefer? It's something the BC book seems to recommend for balance purposes.

Beorning

I would like to play! As long as someone helps me to create a character, as I don't have any of the books...

Pumpkin Seeds

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 11, 2014, 09:10:27 AM
Like the specific archetype of Night Lord found in the tomes, or just as your backstory? I was planning on starting people off at normal xp levels.

If I can use that archtype, then I would. Otherwise it will be background, and I'll try to build the character to match a scaled down (points wise) version of that.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jaded

I'd kind of like to play a (fallen) Adepta Sororitas or a Psyker.  (or maybe combine the two concepts).  Though I don't mind dropping the Psyker idea if that will overlap with TheGlyphstone's concept. 

I take it the advanced archetypes from the Tomes all have a large bonus of XP to them?

TheGlyphstone

You can never have too many Psykers. Having two Tzeentchian devotees might get a little crowded, but a Slaaneshi sorceress would be a good ally, and a Nurgle-aligned psyker would make for great interparty conflict.

The Aligned archetypes don't appear to start with any actual XP bonuses, just different options for spending their starting allotment.

Jaded

I'd probably go a Slaanesh leaning Psyker.  Nurgle could be fun too though, hmm, I hadn't looked at him much yet.

I found the rule after I asked (in a weird place) at the start of the Chapter it says:

The Chaos Space Marine veterans introduced in
this chapter are roughly equivalent to a beginning
Chaos Space Marine character with an additional
3600 experience points. The Human characters
are both roughly equivalent to a beginning Human
Disciple of Chaos with an additional 4600 experience
points.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Jaded on September 12, 2014, 02:31:55 AM
I'd probably go a Slaanesh leaning Psyker.  Nurgle could be fun too though, hmm, I hadn't looked at him much yet.

I found the rule after I asked (in a weird place) at the start of the Chapter it says:

Well crap, you're right. I found that text too, I had just assumed they would be balanced against the starting Archetypes.

Looks like it's just an ordinary Psyker or Sorcerer for me, then.

Life on Mars

Yeah, all the advanced archtypes in the Tomes are considered to have already spent an extra amount of XP on all their talents and special abilites as Jaded posted. I'm going to start people off at the starting xp, a group of heretics just starting to carve a bloody name for themselves in the Screaming Vortex, always more fun to have goals to work towards.

But like I mentioned before if people want to use things like the legacy weapon rules from Khorn that will be allowed.

I'll write up those specifics tomorrow after I get some sleep. Spent all day working followed by a night of 2nd Edition Dark Heresy. Fun times!

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 11, 2014, 03:45:19 PMDo you plan on suggesting/pressuring for an all-Marine or all-Heretic group, presumably whichever the players prefer? It's something the BC book seems to recommend for balance purposes.

I've run Black Crusade with mixed groups before and it isn't as extreme as all that. The important thing to remember is to have something for everyone to do which is why I always have people design characters together instead of just turning in sheets. Better synergy. We'll have some time to work any kinks out.

Quote from: Beorning on September 11, 2014, 04:14:03 PM
I would like to play! As long as someone helps me to create a character, as I don't have any of the books...

I've love to have you join but having access to the rules is kind of important. If you can get hold of a copy that would certainly make things easier.

Quote from: Jaded on September 12, 2014, 01:56:12 AM
I'd kind of like to play a (fallen) Adepta Sororitas or a Psyker.  (or maybe combine the two concepts).  Though I don't mind dropping the Psyker idea if that will overlap with TheGlyphstone's concept. 

I'm not super knowledgeable about all the lore but I don't think the Adepta Sororitas has any psykers. But that could tototally be a reason why you fell, perhaps developing psyker traits as a result of some event in your past. Either is cool.

I won't lie though. Nurgle is the best chaos god for me. Fallen Sister Hospitaller devoted to Nurgle was my favorite character.

Looks like we have enough people for a good game, and at a number I'm comfortable running with as well.

Jaded

My initial thoughts were basically.

Born into a noble family, corruption common.  Patriarch of the family snaps (or gives himself to Khorne or Nurgle, or something) and murders the bulk of the family.  The character and one other (a Slaanesh or unaligned cultist) survive.  Character is still a babe, sent to grow up in the care of the Adepta Sororitis.  She is very vain, starts to doubt her choices after seeing disfiguring wounds in combat.  Finally snaps when a family heirloom (a blade that has been in the family for centuries, and was used to murder her family) is delivered.

That was the non-psyker version.  Could the heirloom potentially be corrupted or otherwise trigger her to become a psyker?  I'm not familiar enough with the lore to know if that is possible. 

EDIT:  After glancing at the rules more, if I went Psyker I doubt she'd have a legacy weapon, but she might have a Beguiling Gem if allowed (as part of an amulet worn by various corrupt members of her family) that would serve the same purpose but better.

HairyHeretic

I'm thinking Night Lords Chosen. With the GMs permission, I'd like to trade out the Chosens special ability of Cold Killer for the ones from the Night Lords archtype, Spectral Haunter and Terror Tactics. I'd also like to create a Legacy weapon, a stalker patern Bolter.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

deadmanshand

Cutting out the adavanced archetypes does narrow down the options significantly. That eliminates the Fleshshaper of Melancholia and Sorcerer-King of the Writhing World from my potentials list. Sounds like there will be a couple of potential psykers too. Hmmm.. what ideas to consider then...

Also, Life on Mars, I have a friend in the process of joining Elliquiy who is basically joining just to try and play in this game. Experienced pbp player, knowledgeable about 40k, and has the rules. He is currently in Introductions under ArcherCC.

Life on Mars

Quote from: Jaded on September 12, 2014, 03:36:40 AM
My initial thoughts were basically.

Born into a noble family, corruption common.  Patriarch of the family snaps (or gives himself to Khorne or Nurgle, or something) and murders the bulk of the family.  The character and one other (a Slaanesh or unaligned cultist) survive.  Character is still a babe, sent to grow up in the care of the Adepta Sororitis.  She is very vain, starts to doubt her choices after seeing disfiguring wounds in combat.  Finally snaps when a family heirloom (a blade that has been in the family for centuries, and was used to murder her family) is delivered.

That was the non-psyker version.  Could the heirloom potentially be corrupted or otherwise trigger her to become a psyker?  I'm not familiar enough with the lore to know if that is possible. 

EDIT:  After glancing at the rules more, if I went Psyker I doubt she'd have a legacy weapon, but she might have a Beguiling Gem if allowed (as part of an amulet worn by various corrupt members of her family) that would serve the same purpose but better.

That's pretty cool. If you're going to focus on melee it would be easier to take the renegade archtype rather than psyker, but melee psykers are always awesome. Looking at the Beguiling Gem it looks like you could take one as part of your starting equipment. As described on page 82 of the core rulebook you can make a number of free acquisitions equal to your starting infamy bonus as long as they are no more than a -10 modifier. Beguiling Gem would work out to that (very rare -20, Common Craft 0, Single +10). You can add whatever back-story you like to it.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 12, 2014, 05:42:19 AM
I'm thinking Night Lords Chosen. With the GMs permission, I'd like to trade out the Chosens special ability of Cold Killer for the ones from the Night Lords archtype, Spectral Haunter and Terror Tactics. I'd also like to create a Legacy weapon, a stalker patern Bolter.

Yes you can switch those out. And stalker bolter, is that in one of the other books? Can't seem to find it.

Oh, and be sure to remember legacy weapons are cool but part of their requirement is you use it to the exclusion of all other weapons.

Quote from: deadmanshand on September 12, 2014, 11:02:56 AM
Cutting out the adavanced archetypes does narrow down the options significantly. That eliminates the Fleshshaper of Melancholia and Sorcerer-King of the Writhing World from my potentials list. Sounds like there will be a couple of potential psykers too. Hmmm.. what ideas to consider then...

Also, Life on Mars, I have a friend in the process of joining Elliquiy who is basically joining just to try and play in this game. Experienced pbp player, knowledgeable about 40k, and has the rules. He is currently in Introductions under ArcherCC.

I have gotten enough interest by now that I'm not sure I can take on any more people,  5-6 is like my limit, so we would have to see.

Terian

I'm usually interested, I just find most of the games I sign up on either die out or never happen :(

Still, I could run a Heretek, Renegade, or Psyker without any problems.

TheGlyphstone

FWIW, my planned Psyker is going to be very Interaction-oriented; Charm+Deceive, Telepathy powers, and gear to boost Interaction tests (Tarnor Mimic-Mask and Pheremone Generator). Plus Doombolt, but he's built primarily to be a 'Face' role. That should help narrow down potential conceptual overlap for anyone else still brainstorming.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 12, 2014, 11:34:39 AM
Yes you can switch those out. And stalker bolter, is that in one of the other books? Can't seem to find it.

I took the rules from Deathwatch. Stats are the same as a regular bolter except range is doubled, it becomes single shot only and gains the Accurate trait.

Oh, and be sure to remember legacy weapons are cool but part of their requirement is you use it to the exclusion of all other weapons.

That's not an issue. I had the weapon written into the character background from the Heresy onwards :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Life on Mars

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 12, 2014, 01:27:49 PM
I took the rules from Deathwatch. Stats are the same as a regular bolter except range is doubled, it becomes single shot only and gains the Accurate trait.

That's not an issue. I had the weapon written into the character background from the Heresy onwards :)

Ah ok, that sounds reasonable. I know that stalker rounds act as a silencer. Are you going to combine the two?

Quote from: Terian on September 12, 2014, 12:15:30 PM
I'm usually interested, I just find most of the games I sign up on either die out or never happen :(

Still, I could run a Heretek, Renegade, or Psyker without any problems.

I'm pretty sure I'm full up on people now but if anyone drops I'll let you know!

Beorning

When it comes to me, I could play a fallen Sororitas... or another kind of female soldier!

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 12, 2014, 01:36:10 PM
Ah ok, that sounds reasonable. I know that stalker rounds act as a silencer. Are you going to combine the two?

Assuming I'm able to, yes. I think the Stalker is harder to hear normally, and the effect is magnified with the stalker rounds. They're rare enough to find though, so I'd need to see how resources worked out. He might have a handfull for special occasions, and use regular rounds most of the time.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on September 12, 2014, 01:36:47 PM
When it comes to me, I could play a fallen Sororitas... or another kind of female soldier!

If you haven't gotten the books yet, I can point you in the right direction to 'acquire' them. But you will need them to play, like the GM said.

GM Q: With my starting gear, I could get my hands on a Good quality Tarnor Mimic-Mask instead of a Common grade, (Rare -10, Good -10, Single +10). What would it grant above a normal mask, though? Tools and Wargear Craftsmanship is at the discretion of the GM.

Life on Mars

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 12, 2014, 01:44:03 PM
GM Q: With my starting gear, I could get my hands on a Good quality Tarnor Mimic-Mask instead of a Common grade, (Rare -10, Good -10, Single +10). What would it grant above a normal mask, though? Tools and Wargear Craftsmanship is at the discretion of the GM.

GM A: Hmm, well offhand I would say that it would provide an extra, smaller bonus when used in the company of people for whom appearance and craftsmanship matter. Some dirty feral worlders might not appreciate it, but a pirate with delusions of grandeur might, just to name a few examples.

Quote from: Beorning on September 12, 2014, 01:36:47 PM

I would love to have you but be sure to get to rulebook if you want to join = )

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 12, 2014, 02:09:11 PM

GM A: Hmm, well offhand I would say that it would provide an extra, smaller bonus when used in the company of people for whom appearance and craftsmanship matter. Some dirty feral worlders might not appreciate it, but a pirate with delusions of grandeur might, just to name a few examples.

So no improvements to its functionality, then, just a cosmetic appearance boost? The description of the Mask is on Tome of Fate p.42; I'm not really sure how higher-quality appearance would work on an item whose primary purpose is altering its appearance in subtle fashions. I'll take it anyways, since I can't upgrade the Pheremone Generators, but I'm not above trying to milk whatever bonuses I can get. :D

Terian

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 12, 2014, 01:36:10 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm full up on people now but if anyone drops I'll let you know!

Aww :( I always notice these things too late.

Jaded

That's pretty cool. If you're going to focus on melee it would be easier to take the renegade archtype rather than psyker, but melee psykers are always awesome. Looking at the Beguiling Gem it looks like you could take one as part of your starting equipment. As described on page 82 of the core rulebook you can make a number of free acquisitions equal to your starting infamy bonus as long as they are no more than a -10 modifier. Beguiling Gem would work out to that (very rare -20, Common Craft 0, Single +10). You can add whatever back-story you like to it.

I was leaning towards the Gem also being her psy-focus, just for flavour. 

Did you want us to start working towards creating characters now that we're full?

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 12, 2014, 12:58:51 PM
FWIW, my planned Psyker is going to be very Interaction-oriented; Charm+Deceive, Telepathy powers, and gear to boost Interaction tests (Tarnor Mimic-Mask and Pheremone Generator). Plus Doombolt, but he's built primarily to be a 'Face' role. That should help narrow down potential conceptual overlap for anyone else still brainstorming.

I was looking at a melee/face Psyker.  I don't know if I can make her properly ;)  But I figured her shtick was to act like a slave or other harmless since (if I take the Telekinetic Weapon power) she wouldn't need to carry around a visible weapon.  Which was why a legendary weapon wouldn't fit as well as with my original concept. 

Though there is something to be said for a straight combat character who isn't a psyker.  So many options  :'( 

Beorning

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 12, 2014, 02:09:11 PM

Dammit! I won't have enough money to buy the books this month... :(

Life on Mars

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 12, 2014, 02:14:13 PM
So no improvements to its functionality, then, just a cosmetic appearance boost? The description of the Mask is on Tome of Fate p.42; I'm not really sure how higher-quality appearance would work on an item whose primary purpose is altering its appearance in subtle fashions. I'll take it anyways, since I can't upgrade the Pheremone Generators, but I'm not above trying to milk whatever bonuses I can get. :D

Hmm, you have a point there.  think the biggest bonus you would have to it though would a good-craftsmanship allowing it to take harsher punishment, in case you get shot/stabbed in the face. Alternativly it could allow the Fear rating to last an extra minute or two. I'll think a bit more on it ; )

Quote from: Jaded on September 12, 2014, 06:09:08 PM
I was leaning towards the Gem also being her psy-focus, just for flavour. 

Did you want us to start working towards creating characters now that we're full?

I was looking at a melee/face Psyker.  I don't know if I can make her properly ;)  But I figured her shtick was to act like a slave or other harmless since (if I take the Telekinetic Weapon power) she wouldn't need to carry around a visible weapon.  Which was why a legendary weapon wouldn't fit as well as with my original concept. 

Though there is something to be said for a straight combat character who isn't a psyker.  So many options  :'( 

Very much so. One of the reasons I like how they removed the "class tables" in Black Crusade and Only War. Was glad they kept with that in Dark Heresy 2nd Ed. I like your idea of acting like a slave or other harmless being.

And yeah, I would say it's getting to the time to make characters since people are starting to flush them out. Let me see if I have a good understanding of what people have so far:

TheGlyphstone: Psyker "Face"
Jaded: fallen sister, possible melee/face Psyker
HairyHeretic: Night Lord Space Marine

If I have an understanding of people so far. What does everyone else have in mind?

Also HairyHeretic! I've been reading your name as HairyHECTIC this whole time, ha ha. That's what I get for just copypasting people names instead of writing them. I suppose your name is pretty fitting for this game.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Jaded on September 12, 2014, 06:09:08 PM

Since there's two of us, we'll probably end up working as a team when infiltrating. If you just emphasize Fellowship and the Deceive skill, we'll both be sufficiently tricky/sneaky to get around, and I can do the talking with Charm. Master + Slave, Husband + Wife, Brother + Sister - plenty of cover identities for us. That will let you use more of your starting XP/powers on melee stuff.

You don't even need to be psychic for this plan, you just need Decieve and good Fel.

Jaded

Draft 1!  Hopefully I didn't make any (many?) mistakes, and hopefully she is somewhat useful as a character.  I am a little annoyed she doesn't feel all that Sister of Battley, but I guess by the Dark Heresy rules she is only missing a couple of things (Performer Singer, Literacy, Trade Copyist, etc).

I had taken Charm but dropped that.  Her Fellowship should hopefully be sufficient for our plots ;)

I don't suppose I could take Enemy (5): Adepta Sororitas (for obvious reasons) and in exchange take Forbidden Lore (Warp) and/or Linguistics (High Gothic)?

I also left her history a bit blank, as I don't know how she got from that point to joining the other Chaos people.  I assume that would be a group discussion unless the starting adventure is intended to begin with people who don't know each other.

Character
Castilla Vern
Human Psyker, ex-Adepta Sororitas

Wounds: 8+1d5
Corruption: 1d5
WS:  40 (4)     BS:  22 (2)
S:   33 (3)     T:   30 (3)
Ag:  45 (4)     Int: 30 (3)
Per: 25 (2)     WP:  51 (5)
Fel: 55 (5)     Inf: 1d5+23

Pride: Beauty     Disgrace: Deceit     Motivation: Perfection

SKILLS
Awareness, Deceive, Dodge, Psyniscience, Stealth
Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Creed), Forbidden Lore (Psykers)
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Trade (Chymist)

TALENTS
Psy Rating 3
Jaded
Weapon Training (Primary), Weapon Training (Las)
Warp Sense

TRAIT
The Quick and The Dead
Psyker (Unbound)

POWERS
Precognition
Mind Over Matter
Force Bolt
Telekinetic Weapon
Butcher’s Offering
Precision Telekinesis

GEAR
Laspistol w/2 magazines
Neural Whip
Flak Cloak
Psy-focus (Amulet with Beguiling Gem): +10 Focus Power Test
dataslate filled with arcane lore. (could I take a book stolen from the Adepta Sororitas instead?  Some profane relic they hadn't yet destroyed?)

Beguiling Gem
Synskin

200 xp for Stealth
100 xp for Precognition
100 xp for Precision Telekinesis
100 xp for Butcher’s Offering
250 xp for Simple Willpower
250 xp for Simple Fellowship

Castilla was born to a prominent noble family on the Hive World of ?.  When she was two years of age the patriarch of her family snapped and murdered the entirety of his extended family, some fifty odd people, in the dark of night.  Only two were spared, Castilla and her aunt, Cirine.  The reasons for this were unknown to most, but were simple enough.  Cirine was a Cultist of Slaanesh, and as her brother lost his mind in a blood rage that had to be the fault of Khorne or his lackeys, she saw all her plans falling apart.  She saw a chance to salvage something, so she saved Castilla and sent her off to join the Adepta Sororitas.

The next fifteen ears of Castilla’s life were spent in study, mostly about the glory of the Emperor and the art of battle.  She fully intended to devote her life to the Order.  She was always a bit vain, but no one seemed concerned about it, and she thought she was rightful to be proud. 

At eighteen, Castilla joined her first campaign.  On a world rife with corruption, she helped battle not only the cultists of chaos, but the xenos threat that they had allowed to take hold.  She returned a veteran, proud of her achievements but horrified at what she had seen.  Disfiguring wounds, horrific weapons, and so many lives cut short.  In her chamber was a gift, sent by her aunt Cirine.

The gift was nothing more than a pink gemstone, about the size of the last joint of her finger.  It was set into a platinum necklace, on which was stamped the symbol of her family.  As Castilla stared at the gemstone, she felt her mind awaken.  Even she couldn’t explain just what she saw, the eternity of space and time, how frail and temporary her body was, something, anything, everything. 

The amulet, which had been worn for centuries by corrupt members of her family, had soaked in the very essence of chaos from their actions.  It had been witness to countless atrocities and crimes, and while not a direct link to the warp, it did call to her blood.  As powers began to awaken within her, Castilla knew that she had to get away.  Not just because she could only expect death or worse if she stayed, but because she knew how temporary all that she valued would be if she didn’t take some action.

Castilla fled into space in search of perfection of form, and eternal youth.  Her first stop was her homeworld, where she found that her aunt had been cleansed by an inquisitor. 

TheGlyphstone

Commentary for Jaded:
1) You're 500 XP underspent right now. You get 1000XP as a beginning Human heretic, and the Psyker archetype gives you another 500 XP to spend only on psychic powers. Since you've spent exactly 500 on powers right now, you've got 500 more to spend on anything - my suggestion would be to start picking up Aligned advances towards your God of choice, if you have one; 500XP will buy two Tier 1 Talents, a Tier 2 talent, or a bigger Characteristic boost.
2) Neural Whips require Shock Proficiency, which you don't have. You'll want to either trade that for a Sword (Good quality), or exchange Weapon Training (Las) For Weapon Training (Shock). Hang onto the Las-pistol until you can either gain proficiency, or trade it away to someone.

Character

Valmar Ripartus

Male Heretic Psyker (Escapee of the Black Ships)

WS: 20      Int: 40
BS: 25      WP: 70
S: 20      Per: 30
Ag: 30      Fel: 56
T: 30
Infamy: 21+1d5=24
Wounds: 10+1d5=15
Corruption: 1d5=5

Pride: Devotion      Disgrace: Destruction      Motivation: Immortality

Talents and Traits:
Child of the Warp - +1 Psy Rating when pushing, people who see him forget something trivial
Combat Formation - Allies get +1 Initiative and can use Int (4) in place of Agility for Initiative.
Jaded - Immune to Mundane Fear
Psyker
Psy Rating (3) - Unbound
The Quick And The Dead - +2 Initiative
Total Recall - Flawless and perfect memory
Weapon Training (Primary)
Weapon Training (SP)

Trained Skills:
Awareness (Per)
Charm (Fel)
Common Lore (Imperium) (Int)
Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites) (Int)
Deceive (Fel)
Dodge (Ag)
Forbidden Lore (Psykers) (Int)
Linguistics (Low Gothic) (Int)
Psyniscience (Per)
Scrutiny (Per)
Trade (Cryptographer) (Int)

Psychic Powers:
Compel
Delude
Doombolt
Thought Sending

Equipment:
Cybernetics: Pheremone Generator, Common Craftsmanship
Dataslate of Arcane Lore
Flak Cloak
Psy-Focus
Slug Revolver, Good Craftsmanship
Sword, Good Craftsmanship
Tarnor Mimic-Mask, Good Craftsmanship

Experience Log:
+1000 XP - starting allotment
+500 XP - Archetype allotment (Powers only)
-100 XP -Psychic Power (Thought Sending)
-100 XP - Psychic Power (Delude)
-200 XP - Psychic Power (Compel)
-200 XP - Psychic Power (Doombolt)
-200 XP - Allied Skill Training: Charm
-200 XP - Allied Skill Training: Scrutiny
-250 XP - Allied Talent: Total Recall
-250 XP - Allied Talent: Combat Formation

1500/1500 Spent

Background

The underhives of Solivan VII are a brutal place, every bit as harsh a crucible as those in the mighty forges that make the planet famous across its sector. Like impure steel, the weak and the cowardly are burned away - sometime literally - to leave only the strongest and sharpest behind. In this dog-eat-dog world, someone as thin and malnourished as Valamar should have quickly been ground up and cast aside. Instead, though, he thrived, because people inexplicably liked him and wanted to make him happy. At first, it was unconscious, but by puberty his talents had begun to awaken in full force and he knew he was unlike anyone else around. He could make anyone act out his whims, overtly or subtly, and he embraced this power with glee. Valmar became a teenage gang leader and crime lord, master of his portion of the underhive. He held the loyalty of thugs, got the pick of the best drugs, and the most beautiful women lined up at his bedside. Though all of it, he schemed to hide the truth from everyone - secretly pitting gangs against each other to weaken threats to his control, arranging trouble for the Arbites to keep them from cracking down on his tiny empire.

But ultimately, it was the Arbites who were his downfall, pitted against his own arrogance. Arrested for a petty crime - not even in his true name, but a false identity he used when skulking about to amuse himself - he torqued the will of his arresting officers and forced them to murder each other. But one lived, and reported what could only be a dangerous rogue psyker to his superiors. Not long after, a Black Ship came through the system in its regular route, and the Inquisition descended upon Valmar. It took all of his skill at deception to keep one step ahead of them, forced to fall back on his long-neglected talents of natural manipulation in order to prevent their trackers from following his psychic trail. From tramp freighter to passenger liner, he fled randomly between stars with no particular destination in mind save somewhere he could rebuild and eventually take revenge.  The Imperium had obliterated his palatial paradise of crime, called him a mutant and monster. A mutant he would be, then, and if the Imperium feared the powers of Chaos, it would be to the powers of Chaos that he turned his loyalty towards. It might take a lifetime, or more than one, to earn his revenge - but he was prepared to spend that and more if required. Anything was acceptable. Anything.

Also, I came up with what I think is a really cool idea, but it'll need approval. I'm starting with the talent Child of the Warp, selecting the persistent effect of 'anyone who sees him forgets something trivial'. I also purchased the Total Recall talent, giving me an eidetic memory. Can I link these two, and have him not simply erase memories, but steal them, remembering inconsequential or minor things he's never experienced (but someone who met him had)?

Pumpkin Seeds

Trying to catch up and gather a niche to place myself in the context of the group.  Sorry I'm a bit late to the party.

ChaoticSky

Damn, missed the boat on this one.  :-\

HairyHeretic

I'll be reworking this character. I probably won't get a chance to get the stats up til tomorrow evening, but this is the background

Draugr, Son of the Sunless World

"Show your enemy mercy and he shall one day seek vengeance upon you for every petty, imaginable slight. Mercy is therefore a weakness; a crime waiting to be born. Mercy I have long since expunged, both from myself and my Legion."

— Attributed to Konrad Curze, The Night Haunter, Primarch of the Night Lords Legion

The Night Lord known as Draugr is a former member of the 3rd Claw Terror Squad within the 20th Chapter. He wears heavily modified Mark 6 plate, complete with the distinctive skull faced helm of a Terror Squad member, and bears a weapon which he uses almost to the exclusion of all others, a Stalker pattern legion bolter named 'Last Breath'. Rumour has it the name comes because once his sights are upon you, you have time for but one last breath before the end.

We were the monsters you wanted, the weapons you shaped us to be. We sacrificed all to be what you needed, and you dare .. you DARE .. censure us for doing that, for doing just what it was you wanted? We brought scores of worlds to compliance, and for every one we visited, for every one where they learned to fear the night, five, ten, twenty would surrender for fear they would be next.

We are the ones betrayed. That bitch assassin was allowed .. allowed, not able .. to take our father. To prove the truth of his words. Well, listen to the truth of my words. I will burn one world in the name of each of my brothers, and when the ashes of those worlds burn cold, my fathers words will be all that remains.

He has sworn an oath of vengeance, an eternal oath of moment, to make the Imperium pay for all it has done. He doesn't particularly care how he does it. He's as happy to cause a world to revolt in civil war as he is to assassinate the PDF high command just prior to an invasion by Orks or Dark Eldar, or drop an asteroid onto the worlds capital. He knows he won't be able to wreak his vengeance alone, but there are plenty of tools he can use along the way.

Night Lord Terror Squads
Terror Squads were specialist squads of Space Marines utilised exclusively by the Night Lords Legion during the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy in the late 30th and early 31st Millennia. No Legion of the Legiones Astartes ever elevated the use of fear itself as a weapon to the extent that the Night Lords did. Through their fearful and bloody acts entire star systems were cowed into submission, often occasioning far less ultimate loss of life than a conventional war might have brought. The midnight and storm-clad VIII Legion served also as dark judges and executioners; they enacted the Emperor's retribution on Planetary Governors, recidivist cults and rebels alike, where their crimes proved severe enough to have called down the Imperium's wrath so utterly upon them.

When such punishments were intended to be at their most visceral and personal, the Terror Squads of the VIII Legion were unleashed. Head hunters and torturers, flayers and mutilators; within the ranks of the Terror Squads were found both the most coldly dispassionate and darkly imaginative of the Night Lords brethren, and where once the terrifying arts of murder and mayhem they perpetrated were a coldly calculated means to an end, as the decades of the Great Crusade progressed, the Terror Squads became a sink-hole for the most unstable and unsubtle elements within their Legion, many within them standing under their own sentences of death -- commuted so long as they proved useful to their macabre master, the Night Haunter himself.

Last Breath
Stalker pattern bolter 'Last Breath'
Merciless (Vicious) Stalker pattern Legion Bolter - Legacy of Slaughter
Class: Basic
Range: 200
RoF: S
Dmg: 2d10+5 X
Pen: 5
Clip: 24
Rld: Full
Special: Accurate, Tearing
Wt: 17

Stats

WS 40
BS 50
S 45
T 40
Ag 40
Int 36
Per 45
WP 38
Fel 35
Inf 22

Wounds 17

Pride - Foresight
Disgrace - Wrath
Motivation - Legacy

Skills

Athletics (S)
Awareness (Per)
Common Lore - War (Int)
Dodge (+10) (Ag)
Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Astartes) (Int)
Forbidden Lore (The Horus Heresy) (Int)
Forbidden Lore (The Long War) (Int)
Intimidate (S)
Linguistics (Low Gothic) (Int)
Navigate (Surface) (Int)
Operate (Surface) (Ag)
Parry (WS)
Stealth (Ag)

Talents and Special

Talents
Ambidextrous
Ancient Warrior
Bulging Biceps
Deadeye shot
Disarm
Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight)
Legion Weapon Training
Lightning Reflexes
Marksman
Nerves of Steel
Quick Draw
Rapid Reload
Resistance (Cold, Heat, Poisons)
Unarmed Warrior

Traits
Amphibious
Unnatural Strength
Unnatural Toughness

Special Abilities
Spectral Haunter
Terror Tactics

Equipment

Legion Power armour (Scavanged Reconstruction - Functioning systems: Sustainable power source, Autosenses, Osmotic Gill Life Sustainer)
Legionaire stalker bolter 'Last Breath' (+4 clips)
Legion combat knife
Legion bolt pistol
Legion chainsword
2 clips for pistol

Cattle die, kinsmen die

deadmanshand

Sorry if I'm a little slow. Very busy last couple of days and today will be no exception. Also not sure what to make. My primary interest - once the advanced archetypes were taken off the table - was in playing a Psyker. Now there are two. Then I was thinking of an Apostate face type character but Glyphstone is filling that role with his Psyker. Not interested in a Heretek. Playing a lot of combat characters right now.

Hmm... decisions. Decisions.

TheGlyphstone

There's no real reason you can't play a Psyker, other than the obvious fact that having 3 of them running around in one place is like playing Russian Roulette with the Perils of the Warp table. I'm telepathy-heavy, Jaded is telekinesis-heavy with a touch of divination, so there's ways to go without stepping on each other's toes. Biomancy, for example - someone capable of 'healing' would be handy for us fragile humans, and I can't imagine even a Space Marine saying no to buffs.

Or you could make a face-oriented character. Overlap in skillsets is a tradeoff we can choose to make...it gives us redundancy, but at the cost of versatility. With a party that's 50-60% talky characters, All You Have Is a (Psychic) Hammer would be coming into play and we'd be trying to solve most of our problems with social solutions. I'm Face/crowd control, Jaded is Melee/face. Neither of us have Intimidate or Command.

Esseria

Just want to say that I'm sad I found this after it closed recruitment, and also that next time you should run something in which I can play an ork. Waaagh.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Esseria on September 13, 2014, 03:00:24 PM
Just want to say that I'm sad I found this after it closed recruitment, and also that next time you should run something in which I can play an ork. Waaagh.

Pretty sure Rogue Trader is the only game with Ork PCs.

Esseria

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 13, 2014, 03:17:08 PM
Pretty sure Rogue Trader is the only game with Ork PCs.
Bah! You can fit one o da boyz in ta whatever ting ya want, ya git. Dey'z da best!

But good point. Anyway, enjoy your game, folks!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Esseria on September 13, 2014, 03:19:37 PM
Bah! You can fit one o da boyz in ta whatever ting ya want, ya git. Dey'z da best!

Ironically, the only one they can't fit in is Black Crusade...the "KAOS AN’ KURRUPSHUN" rule from the Freebooter character class makes them immune to Corruption points, which is a core mechanic of BC. :D

Pumpkin Seeds

Not sure on the specifics, but thinking I might go for a sniper type character or some sort of sneaking one.  Though there is a burning desire to play a Space Marine as well.

deadmanshand

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 13, 2014, 02:15:41 PM
There's no real reason you can't play a Psyker, other than the obvious fact that having 3 of them running around in one place is like playing Russian Roulette with the Perils of the Warp table. I'm telepathy-heavy, Jaded is telekinesis-heavy with a touch of divination, so there's ways to go without stepping on each other's toes. Biomancy, for example - someone capable of 'healing' would be handy for us fragile humans, and I can't imagine even a Space Marine saying no to buffs.

Or you could make a face-oriented character. Overlap in skillsets is a tradeoff we can choose to make...it gives us redundancy, but at the cost of versatility. With a party that's 50-60% talky characters, All You Have Is a (Psychic) Hammer would be coming into play and we'd be trying to solve most of our problems with social solutions. I'm Face/crowd control, Jaded is Melee/face. Neither of us have Intimidate or Command.

If that's the case I might make something Pyromancy and flamer heavy. I'll look at my options.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: deadmanshand on September 13, 2014, 03:39:54 PM
If that's the case I might make something Pyromancy and flamer heavy. I'll look at my options.

Pyromancy is also a good option, but I hadn't considered it because you didn't sound enthusiastic about a combat build.

deadmanshand

Fire isn't combat. Fire is a prayer to the gods of chaos.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: deadmanshand on September 13, 2014, 03:48:23 PM
Fire isn't combat. Fire is a prayer to the gods of chaos.
That said, i would suggest you look up the pyromancy powers from OW, and if your GM is okay with it, use those instead of the ones in BC.... they are actually good, instead of just some silly little thing that a backwards shaman might use to scare cavemen.

Which is actually somewhat interesting. Chaos sees pyro as a inferior art compared to channeling raw warpfire, good for little other than situational use or augmenting other effects. But the Imperium generally considers it the most rawly destructive discipline, the versions of Pyromancy in each book reflect this.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Darkling on September 13, 2014, 03:55:28 PM
That said, i would suggest you look up the pyromancy powers from OW, and if your GM is okay with it, use those instead of the ones in BC.... they are actually good, instead of just some silly little thing that a backwards shaman might use to scare cavemen.

Which is actually somewhat interesting. Chaos sees pyro as a inferior art compared to channeling raw warpfire, good for little other than situational use or augmenting other effects. But the Imperium generally considers it the most rawly destructive discipline, the versions of Pyromancy in each book reflect this.

What Pyromancy rules are you looking at? BC has them in the Tome of Fate, and they're hardly parlor tricks...it's a total one-trick combat pony, but potent ranged weapons, and Immolation is just ridiculous if you land it on a BB(G)G.

Pumpkin Seeds

Giving some thought to either a Thousand Sons Sorcerer or an Idolitrex Magos.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on September 13, 2014, 04:04:20 PM
Giving some thought to either a Thousand Sons Sorcerer or an Idolitrex Magos.

GM said no Advanced Archetypes. A normal Chaos Space Marine Sorcerer or Heretic Psyker would be your only options.

Pumpkin Seeds

ChaoticSky

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 13, 2014, 03:58:54 PM
What Pyromancy rules are you looking at? BC has them in the Tome of Fate, and they're hardly parlor tricks...it's a total one-trick combat pony, but potent ranged weapons, and Immolation is just ridiculous if you land it on a BB(G)G.
The ones in BC are woefully inferior to any other class of psychic power offensively, and are good for nothing other than setting armourless mooks on fire. which dont get me wrong, is worth a giggle and half, but a dedicated pyromancer would lag behind not just other psykers but regular characters with heavy flamers, and possibly regular flamers too depending on talents and exotic ammunition.

For comparison (and this is just one of many examples);
Fire Storm is a Storm-type that requires a -10 focus test, does 1d10+PR Pen 0 and if you score 3+ DoS, you set the target on fire. A Heavy Flamer does 1d10+8 Pen 5, doesnt require a test on your part to shoot and sets anyone who doesnt pass a Agi test on fire and hits everything in a cone.
So, even putting aside the hazards of psychic powers, a heavy flamer is more likely to set a enemy on fire, more likely to hit lots of enemies, more likely to damage armoured foes and has slightly more reliable damage.

And on the psychic side, we have Force Storm, for the telekines, costs 150 less exp than Fire Storm, and does 1d10+(3xPR) Pen 0. So it literally does straight up better damage for less exp. Cant set people on fire, but its generally more effective.

Putting that aside, Pyro also has alot of werid powers, like Molten Man, which no one will ever use, because it destroys all your gear, and Manipulate Flame, which is barely better than a minor power from previous lines. Theres also the fact that, unless something is alreayd on fire you have to maintain one power just to use all the others. I could keep going.

The consensus is, that pyromancy is a weak discipline compared to unaligned and telekinetic powers, and lacks the utility of divination, biomancy and the aligned powers. Its use comes in twofold; the first is indirect fire. pyromancy attacks originate from the source of flame, if theres a burning wreck on the other side of the enemy's cover, guess whos getting mindburned? The second is in action economy, most pyromancy powers are free actions, they do have the Attack type, so you cannot attack more than once with them, but you can do a full action worth of other things, such as maintaining, moving, casting non-attack powers, etc, and still attack.

Combined, these make for some very interesting uses in the hands of a skilled player. But ultimately, the entire disciplined is intended for combination/weird situational use, not a main focus. The book bookends the Pyromancy dicipline with these bits; "Many disdain the manipulation of fire as a crude and limited psychic discipline, beneath the notice of a true practitioner of the sorcerer’s arts. While this may be true, the ability to incinerate one’s enemies with a gesture does generate a respect all its own." and "Of course, there are those sorcerers who count pyromancy as merely one tool amongst many in their arsenal. These individuals are often amongst the most dangerous of foes"

Now, if you wanna play around with that, thats your preference, but in OW the Pyromancy discipline is more.... elegantly straight forward and useful, you have the same three bolt/barrage/storm powers, but they all are direct fire/dont need a source of  flame/have the Flame quality/do abit more damage, and in addition to those, they have a Blast power too, a high pen melta-ray, as well as a self immolation spell that is more or less a straight upgrade of BC's flaming gauntlets, and a fire-shield.

I just figured id point all this out since i adore pyromancy myself and was often disappointed in its effectiveness in the game, ever since OW came out (and DH2 has the same powers) ive switched over to the new rules and never looked back. Abit 'o wisdom of the ancients for your pyromancer  ;)

Life on Mars

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 13, 2014, 03:23:52 PM
Quote from: Esseria on September 13, 2014, 03:19:37 PM

Ironically, the only one they can't fit in is Black Crusade...the "KAOS AN’ KURRUPSHUN" rule from the Freebooter character class makes them immune to Corruption points, which is a core mechanic of BC. :D

Well, actually, there are rules for bringing Rogue Trader characters into Black Crusade found in the core book for BC. I was able to create a Kroot character for Black Crusade using them (never got the chance to play him unfortunately), so it's entirely possible to set up an Ork character if you take some time and work in a little extra math. I wouldn't be against it with a good backstory (thou Ork's be needin' only ONE backstory: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!) Only sad part would not being able to become a Deamon Prince.

Everyone's back stories are looking pretty and I like where all this discussion is going. To answer Jaded's question earlier the starter adventure IS designed to bring players together if their characters didn't already know each other. A little something to bind them together to a common cause as it were. Don't let stop you guys from tying your back stories together if you want to though!

Also one playstyle that hasn't been taken yet is a knowledge-based one, if anyone was interested. Perhaps a Sorcerer or Psyker focuses on forbidden lores and the such? Would be very useful for performing rituals and crafting demon weapons.

Quote from: Jaded on September 12, 2014, 11:38:18 PM
Draft 1!  Hopefully I didn't make any (many?) mistakes, and hopefully she is somewhat useful as a character.  I am a little annoyed she doesn't feel all that Sister of Battley, but I guess by the Dark Heresy rules she is only missing a couple of things (Performer Singer, Literacy, Trade Copyist, etc).

I also left her history a bit blank, as I don't know how she got from that point to joining the other Chaos people.  I assume that would be a group discussion unless the starting adventure is intended to begin with people who don't know each other.

TheGlyphstone is correct about the unspent xp and the weapon talents. Don't you just love discovering you have more points to work with? I like the
backstory so far.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 13, 2014, 01:12:32 AM
Also, I came up with what I think is a really cool idea, but it'll need approval. I'm starting with the talent Child of the Warp, selecting the persistent effect of 'anyone who sees him forgets something trivial'. I also purchased the Total Recall talent, giving me an eidetic memory. Can I link these two, and have him not simply erase memories, but steal them, remembering inconsequential or minor things he's never experienced (but someone who met him had)?

I like that idea a lot actually. As a general rule stuff that changes flavor and not mechanics I am fine with so this fits the bill pretty well. Maybe you'll get something useful every blue moon (or as a plot starter). Maybe you can rp it a little bit with your character sometimes getting confused about his own past?

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 13, 2014, 01:03:35 PM
I'll be reworking this character. I probably won't get a chance to get the stats up til tomorrow evening, but this is the background

Wowie, that's neat. Nice use of quotes and seems pretty solid.

And dang Darkling you really made some good points there. I remember thinking something along those lines when reading over those rules.

I'll be able to loo over things a bit more in depth later night hopefully. I think I might have gotten food poisoning, or at least something, that keeps coming and going, bleck.

ChaoticSky

Quick! Pray to nurgle for salvation!

Life on Mars

Quote from: Darkling on September 13, 2014, 05:16:12 PM
Quick! Pray to nurgle for salvation!

Wow! It got worse but now I don't mind! Yay Nurgle!

TheGlyphstone

Hrm, let's see...

For mook-murdering:
Spontaneous Combustion costs 0% XP (after including the Manifest Flame prerequisite) and deals roughly 30% more damage at game start than Fire Bolt.
Flame Breath costs 20% more XP, and deals 30% more damage than Fire Barrage.
Sunburst costs 20% less XP and deals 30% more damage than Fire Storm.

All the OW fire-gun powers have higher range and better scaling. The BC powers have the incredibly niche ability of ignoring cover if you can set up the right conditions, which isn't enough to give parity. Verdict: Only War.

For unarmed attacks:
Fiery Form costs 100% more XP, but buffs your armed melee attacks and makes you into an interesting pyromantic suicide bomber - you'll do more damage by running up to enemies and catching them in your AoE pulses.
Flaming Gauntlets explicitly combos with the Unarmed combat talents, but lacks the free AoE damage.
Verdict: Only War.

For boss-killing, we're looking at Molten Beam against Immolate.
Molten Beam deals higher initial damage - average 22 per shot when Unfettered, with Pen 8 and Melta.
Immolate flatly ignores armor, but starts out doing lower damage. It requires 6 sustained rounds at PR4 before Immolate starts outstripping Molten Beam, on the other hand, you can Fetter it and still do full damage. But it's shorter range, and leaves you unable to Dodge or Parry attacks.

Fire Shield has no equivalent, but I want to call it a wash since it requires being hit with an attack, not merely attacked, and humans are squishy.

One With The Flame is a parlor trick power. Molten Man is just weird.

So yeah, OW pyromancy is superior. On the other hand, I wouldn't jump on allowing it for BC characters, because then you give Space Marine sorcerers access to them, and the various weaknesses of OW pyros vanish entirely when you're a power armored juggernaut. A Sorcerer with Fiery Form, Flame Shield, and a big nasty melee weapon is going to be a thing of nightmares.

Well, actually, there are rules for bringing Rogue Trader characters into Black Crusade found in the core book for BC. I was able to create a Kroot character for Black Crusade using them (never got the chance to play him unfortunately), so it's entirely possible to set up an Ork character if you take some time and work in a little extra math. I wouldn't be against it with a good backstory (thou Ork's be needin' only ONE backstory: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!) Only sad part would not being able to become a Deamon Prince.

There are rules, yes. The problem is that, as I said, Orks are for the most part incompatible with the central concept of Black Crusade's need to keep your Infamy outstripping your Corruption. Orks having a special rule that makes them flat-out immune to Corruption (and everything that comes with it) ruins that, and if you let them take Corruption, you're not playing an Ork anymore. When your character cannot lose (no risk of Spawnhood), but also can't win (impossible to Ascend), what's the point for the player? The point for the character is Fightin' And Lootin', but I wouldn't want to see an Ork as a PC. Orks as Minions makes perfect sense though.

Wow! It got worse but now I don't mind! Yay Nurgle!

Papa Nurgle loves all his children. ;D

I like that idea a lot actually. As a general rule stuff that changes flavor and not mechanics I am fine with so this fits the bill pretty well. Maybe you'll get something useful every blue moon (or as a plot starter). Maybe you can rp it a little bit with your character sometimes getting confused about his own past?

Sure. Or whenever he goes rummaging through his memories, he has to take a little extra time to filter out the false positives.

ChaoticSky

Interesting, I've never actually run the numbers like that, neat. I was just going by stats and feels. I do feel rather vindicated though.  ;D

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Darkling on September 13, 2014, 05:25:25 PM
Interesting, I've never actually run the numbers like that, neat. I was just going by stats and feels. I do feel rather vindicated though.  ;D

I love number crunching, it's a bit of a weakness actually. :D

My closing point stands, though...Only War gets better pyromancy because all your psykers will be human Sanctioned Psykers. When half of your psykers are eight foot tall superhumans in power armor, you have to be a bit more conservative in what they're allowed to get their hands on.

Jaded

I may rework my character as more of a punchy/face if others want Psyker (since I have been bouncing between the two ideas anyway). 

Though now I'm confused about experience.  Are there special rules for the 500xp you get for psychic powers (I didn't track it, but my total was):

Stealth: 200
Willpower: 250
Fellowship: 250

Mind Over Matter: 100
Precognition: 100
Precision Telekinesis: 100
Butcher: 100
Force Bolt: 200
Telekinetic Weapon: 200

700+800=1500?

Did I screw up somewhere?

TheGlyphstone

...nope. I didn't add up your purchases properly, because you didn't list Force Bolt/Mind Over Matter/Telekinetic Weapon in the XP spends. You're all good and up to full capacity.

Life on Mars

Ha ha, I made the same mistake. You're good = )

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 13, 2014, 05:19:50 PM
There are rules, yes. The problem is that, as I said, Orks are for the most part incompatible with the central concept of Black Crusade's need to keep your Infamy outstripping your Corruption. Orks having a special rule that makes them flat-out immune to Corruption (and everything that comes with it) ruins that, and if you let them take Corruption, you're not playing an Ork anymore. When your character cannot lose (no risk of Spawnhood), but also can't win (impossible to Ascend), what's the point for the player? The point for the character is Fightin' And Lootin', but I wouldn't want to see an Ork as a PC. Orks as Minions makes perfect sense though.

To each their own. I did have a friend who had ork minions, but he was a heretech that had a obsession with xenos-servitors. Loved that guy.

Jaded

Ah, yeah, sorry.  I tracked it funny (I didn't count the 500, just the 1000 that could be spent anywhere).  Thanks for looking it over though. :-)

Anyway, new thought is a character (either Apostate or Renegade) who is still a face for the infiltration idea, but also is a bit more traditionally combat focused.  I am thinking she will still have her Adepta Sororitas Light Power Armour, as well as maybe a bionic implant (the Skeletal one) if possible. 

The main issue I see is storing her armour when she isn't using it (she'd only want to break it out when she knows combat is coming, as she wouldn't blend in otherwise?  Though I guess with a Chaos Space Marine in the mix, hrm). 

ChaoticSky

Good news everyone!

Appearently someone got lost in the warp, and Our Glorious Leader invited me to join in. Yaay. So ill be putting together a character Soon.

Also, now that ive read over the thread, Jaded, if you want to stick with a whip without buying (shock), may i suggest a Grox Whip from RT? Its really common so you should beable to get a high quality, its damage isnt bad and it has Tearing so you can really rip people up with a braided cord full of blades. Slap mono and a couple upgrades on it, and have fun >:3

ChaoticSky

And on that note, im planning something medical! We dont seem to have a doctor in the house, so that will be a nice role for me. Further more; Nurgle.

Question for the group; How are we balanced in terms of ranged vs melee attack? Would you all favour a psyhic healer with Biomancy, or magos with a flesh fetish? :3

TheGlyphstone

Hairy is making a sniper-oriented Night Lord. Jaded looks to be building for melee. I have Doombolt for ranged combat. So we're 2 to 1 in terms of range vs. melee, though it's really 1.5 to 1.

We're currently lacking:
-someone with Medicae and/or psychic healing.
-Someone with Tech-Use.
-a sage/knowledge monkey (secondary role)

A Heretek Magos Biologis would fit nicely into the first two primary roles.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 13, 2014, 06:41:45 PM
Hairy is making a sniper-oriented Night Lord. Jaded looks to be building for melee. I have Doombolt for ranged combat. So we're 2 to 1 in terms of range vs. melee, though it's really 1.5 to 1.

We're currently lacking:
-someone with Medicae and/or psychic healing.
-Someone with Tech-Use.
-a sage/knowledge monkey (secondary role)

A Heretek Magos Biologis would fit nicely into the first two primary roles.
Fantastic. It shall be done!

...now, was that needle full of sedative, or small pox? I can never remember...

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Darkling on September 13, 2014, 06:54:30 PM
Fantastic. It shall be done!

...now, was that needle full of sedative, or small pox? I can never remember...

Only one way to find out. Hold still...

Jaded

The whip was admittedly mostly for flavour.

I have reworked my character as an Apostate instead of a Psyker, since it seems like Psykers are more popular and my concept worked decently well either way.   I see her using her armour and fist when expecting combat, and no armour and her blade (or unarmed) when trying to blend in.  I could see her having fallen in with a Psyker easily enough, so that angle should hopefully still work. 

I could see her easily going towards Khorne or Slaanesh, so that should be interesting depending on how the game goes.

I don't suppose I could trade her starting armour (Mesh or Flak) for... something?  Maybe a Red-Dot Laser Sight for her laspistol, since I doubt she will hit anything either way.

Character
Castilla Vern
Human Apostate ex-Adepta Sororitas

Wounds: 9+1d5
Corruption: 0
WS:  50 (5)    BS:  22 (2)
S:   40 (4)    T:   40 (4)
AG:  50 (5)    Int: 32 (3)
Per: 21 (2)    WP:  21 (2)
Fel: 55 (5)    Inf: 1d5+23

SKILLS
Linguistics (Low Gothic)

Awareness, Charm, Command, Commerce, Deceive +10
Dodge, Inquiry +10, Stealth

Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Creed)
Scholastic Lore (Chymistry, Imperial Creed, Tactica Imperialis)
Forbidden Lore (Daemonology, Heresy, the Inquisition)

Trade (Chymist)

TALENTS
Air of Authority: Command Skill Tests may affect targets fellowship bonus * 10
Hatred (Inquisition): +10 Weapon skill tests to fight, difficult to back down.
Inspire Wrath: Inspire others to hatred
Peer (Ecclesiarchy): +10 fellowship bonus when interacting with.
Polyglot: Untrained skill tests with Linguistics Skill.
Radiant Presence: Everyone within 20 meters gain +10 to willpower to resist fear or intimidation
Total Recall: Automatically remember trivial facts or information
Unarmed Warrior: 1d10, Primitive (7) unarmed attacks.  Always counts as armed.
Unshakeable Will: Reroll any failed willpower test to avoid effects of fear.
Weapon Training (Las, Primary, Power)

TRAITS
The Quick and the Dead
Serpent's Tongue

GEAR
Good-Craftsmanship Laspistol
     30m, S/2/-, 1d10+2 E, 0 Pen, 30 Clip, Half Rld
     Reliable
Power Blade
     1d10+3 E (+ S), 5 Pen
     Power Field
Power Fist
     2d10 E (+ Sx2), 8 Pen
     Power Field, Unwieldy

Light Power Armour
     7 AP, +10 S
     Sub-Systems
          Auto-senses: Dark Sight, Heightened Senses (+10)
                       Immune to photon flash and stun grenades
          Osmotic Gill Life Sustainer: Environmentally sealed
          Sustainable Power Source: Does not need to be recharged
     Customization
          Chain Loinguard: Critical Effect to legs is reduced by 2
          At 2014-09-13 20:39:29, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 1d10 Result: 7

Flak Armour OR Mesh Armour
Chaos Symbol Pendant
Unholy Tomes
2 Laspistol Clips

250 for Unarmed Fighter
250 for Weapon Training (Power)
250 for +Agility
250 for +Weapon Skill

Castilla was born to a noble family on a minor hive world, both only notable for their corruption.  She was still a baby, a scant two years of age, when the patriarch of her family (and unknown to her, her father) snapped.  Over a single bloody night he tortured, killed, and mutilated the bulk of his extended family.  When the sun finally rose, a dozen people lay dead and only Castilla and her mother (also, technically her aunt) Cirine still lived. 

A cultist, Cirine knew full well that unwanted attention would soon fall on her.  She sent Castilla to study with the Adepta Sororitas, hoping to alleviate suspicion, and went into hiding.  Castilla’s next fifteen years were spent in study, of the Imperial Creed, the Emperor’s Glory, and how to properly serve him. 

Always a bit vain, Castilla was fascinated with two things.  Her own beauty, and her ability in combat.  From the age of eighteen to twenty she served in a campaign against a Chaos threat, under the leadership of an Inquisitor.  She revelled in the combat, but was horrified at what she saw happen to others.  Disfigurement, death.  She wanted to face neither but saw no alternative.

It was near the end of the campaign that Castilla was called before the Inquisitor.  A gift had arrived from her mother, a power blade bearing her family’s crest, a blade that had been passed down for generations before being used in the slaughter of her family.  A blade last seen in the possession of a known witch.  Castilla was sentenced, without a trial or chance to protest the charges, to death for heresy. 

The battle was brief but bloody.  Two sisters lay dead, the inquisitor injured.  Castilla was shattered, her place in the world gone.  As she journeyed, she began to study the truth behind it all.  She gathered texts.  She learned of Khorne’s role as god of honour and martial pride, of Slaanesh’s role as the god of perfection, Nurgle’s role as god of rebirth, and Tzeentch’s role as god of knowledge.  She realized that everything she had ever been told was a lie.  She set out in search of perfection, immortality, and a desire to experience more than the narrow world she had been exposed to. 

Armour
No Armour

TheGlyphstone

Hang on to the armor, Jaded. You can use it as barter to gain a +10 bonus on one Acquisition test (p.308).

ChaoticSky

Sheet Ho! Very WIP at the moment.

Nosoi
Name:Nosoi
Race: Human
Archetype: Heretek (+5Int)
Pride: Craftsmanship (+1 Inf. +3Agi/Int. -3WS/BS)
Disgrace: Regret (+5 CP, +10 situational to be Intimidated)
Motivation: Perfection (+5 one, -3 two)
Bio
Appearance
Nosoi is a woman of the Mechanicus, with pale skin and red hair, her slate grey eyes glitter with intelligence. But she has since diverged far from the strictures of the Machine Cult. Instead of the usual red robe, she now wears a dark grey minidress with red trim, with a hooded mantle around her shoulders. As if emulating the common conception of a 'Alluring Dark Magos' from imperial pict-dramas. Though this is partially a exercise in practicality, her dress is open across the upper back, allowing her grafted blades to whip out at a moments notice, and she has no conception of modesty. Beneath her clothing, her body is latticed with tiny thin hair-line scars, in straight lines and symmetric patterns, these faded marks are all that remains of her original mechanical implants, each one replaced with vat grown organs of her own design and her flesh carefully restored. Indeed, she could pass for a normal human... except for her upper back, which looks somewhat like the back of a Hormagaunt grafted onto a human, flat sectioned chitinous plates cover the backs of her shoulders and spine, from the back of her shoulders to the bottom of her ribs. This is what has become of her Cyber Mantle, and like the mantle, serves as a anchoring point for various additional 'enhancements' though at the moment it only supports her living blades and a dozen smaller tendrils tipped with organic medical implements of her own design. The 'flesh' of these parts is pale grey, while the chitin/bones are the same tone as her skin.
Her armour, when shes wears it, consists of a suit of scarlet light carapace armour that is perfectly form-hugging, for greater protective properties of course.
Inspiration/Future

This is what Nosoi will look like when shes gone fully over to nurgle and the like. For now use it as just reference for the style of her blades, outfit, and face. The above text description takes prominence.

History

Personality
Nosoi is a sweet girl, very cooperative and helpful, who genuinely wants nothing more than to advance mankind's understanding of biology and reap the benefits thereof. Unfortunately her well-to-do attitude comes with an almost shocking lack of moral backing, she has little to no concept of what lines not to cross and is relentlessly curious. "Can I?" is almost constant refrain, but 'Should I?' never crosses her mind. This got her into deep trouble when she proudly unveild her creations based on tyranic genes, and forced her flight from the bosom of the Mechanicus. Shes almost willfully ignorant of her status however, and seems to have entirely convinced herself that she would be accepted if she could duplicate her work on a human. As such, she has not embraced Chaos, and would say that she is merely using it to facilitate her own goals. Questioning her logic on the matter is something that could trap a person for hours as she cites obscure dogma.

Beyond that, she has a certain... obliviousness, and the typical techpreist fascination with technology, and in her case, biology as well. She once tried to take samples from a unattenative Obliterator, and shes got three replaced ribs from when it did notice. This sort of happenstance has not deterred her in the slightest however, though she still laments the loss of her samples from that particular encounter.

Characteristics
StatBaseAllocModsGearTotal
WS2518-340
BS251-3-320
Str255-30
T2510+540
Agi252+330
Int2517+3+550(7)
Per2515-40
WP2515-40
Fell2517-334
StatBaseRollModsTotalCurrent
W125+1*1818/18
Inf191+1212/2
*Indicates total Advances, SCs, or Names
Movement:Half: 3, Full: 5, Charge: 9, Run: 18

Corruption: 5

Skills, Talents & Traits

Skills
Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus, Tech, Screaming Vortex, pick one)
Scholastic Lore (Chymistry)
Forbidden Lore (Xenos)
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Trade (Armourer)
Logic
Medicae
Tech Use +10
Parry

Talents
-Weapon  Training  (Las,  Primary, Shock, Power) [Can Use]
-Mechadendrite  Training  (Utility, Weapon) [Can Use]
-Enemy (Adeptus Mechanicus) [Dun like me.]
-Die Hard [Roll twice to avoid death from bloodloss]
-Technical Knock [Clear Jam as Half]
-Meditation [10min+WP test removes 1 fatigue]
-Armour-Monger [+2 AP to armour if you can spend 1h working on it/day]
-Lesser Minion (ServoSkull) [Has]

Traits
-The Quick and The Dead [+2 Init]
-Mechanicus Implants
-Binary Chatter
-Unnatural Int (2)

Gear
Weapon
Power  Axe (Melee. 1d10+7E. Pen6. Power Field, Unbalanced. 8kg)
Right Dendrite Blade (GC. Melee; 1d10+4 R; Pen 3; Flexible, Razor Sharp. +5 WS)
Left Dendrite Blade (GC. Melee; 1d10+4 R; Pen 3; Flexible, Razor Sharp. +5 WS)

Armour
Light Carapace  Armour (GC. AP5/Body,Arms,Legs. +5 Charm)

Cybernetics
2x Dendrite Blade (GC. Enemy takes -20 to hit. If they miss by 3 DoF, they suffer a hit from blade. If 4 DoF, they suffer two hits.)
Medicae Mechadendrite (+10 Medicae. Staunch blood loss as a Half Action. Amputate as +0. Injectors 0/6)
Lumenin Capacitors (Test T to power machine.)
Cerebral Implant (GC. Grants UInt(2), +20 CommLor/Logic)
Embedded Auspex (50m Range. +20 Awareness, Test to spot invisible things. Reroll Per tests while in use.)

Gear/Misc
Ligature Oils
Combi-Tool
Dataslate
Lascarbine (BestCraft)

Minions
Xenoskull

Xeno Servoskull
Characteristics
WS: 1
BS: 6
Str: 1
T: 30
Agi: 30
Int: 2
Per: 30
WP: 1
Fell: 1
Movement: 3/6/9/18

Skills
Talents
Mimic

Traits
Machine (2)
Hoverer (1)

Stats
Offence: Hand Flamer (Pistol. 10m. S/-/- 1d10+4E Pen2. 2Shots/FullRld. Flame, Spray)
Defence: 2 AP/3 TB

Gm Stuff

Wanted List
Medicae +10
Combat sense
TWW(melee)
Legacy-ify Dendrite Blade set?
BestCraft Xeno Chitin Armour (RT:HAq 62) Only if can cover All locations. otherwise Mercronid Armour.
Improve Medical mechadendrite to include abilities of a Narthecium?
Undead Heart
Conversion Field
various upgrades

Chargen Rolls
Infamy: At 2014-09-13 19:58:40, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 1d5 Result: 1
Wounds: At 2014-09-13 19:57:36, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 1d5 Result: 5

Acquisitions
Free (Good Craft)
-Celebral Implant
-Dendrite Blade
Starting
-Dendrite Blade (Rare -10, GC -10, Single +10 = -10)
-Embedded Auspex (Rare -10, GC -10, Single +10 = -10)

EXP Expenditures
Alignment
Khorne
Nurgle ||
Slaanesh
Tzeentch

Exp
+1000 [Starting]
-Mechadendrite Use (Weapon) [500 u]
-Medicae [200 N]
-SC [250 N]
>50

TheGlyphstone

You'll be crazy to not take a Cranial Implant as one of your free Good cybernetics, since it's Near Unique to acquire after character creation.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 14, 2014, 12:44:57 AM
You'll be crazy to not take a Cranial Implant as one of your free Good cybernetics, since it's Near Unique to acquire after character creation.
Im aware XD. Honestly sometimes i dont take it just because Everyone does.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Darkling on September 14, 2014, 01:06:03 AM
Im aware XD. Honestly sometimes i dont take it just because Everyone does.

It's like that old saying...if everyone you knew jumped off a bridge, would you jump off too? The right answer being 'Heck yes! If they're all jumping off that bridge, they probably have a very good reason." :D

You should also have a servitor with whom you have long, one-sided conversations as if it could hear and reply to you.

ChaoticSky

Heh. Okay. Chargen questions for our glorious leader!

A) At chargen, your given your choice of mechandendrite, "Optical  Mechadendrite or Utility  Mechadendrite  or Ballistic  Mechadendrite  with  Laspistol", the only one they dont list, is Medicae, and since im playing a biologis, i find this somewhat incongruous, would it be permissible for me to take a Medicae dendrite at chargen in place of one of those?

B) Since im a heretek biomagos, im likely to fluff all her cybernetics as organic technology in nature. She may or may not have a fondness for tyranids. Will that be okay or would you preferr i stay traditional with it?

C) Biomagos are most typified in the 40k system by the Genetor alt-rank from RT:ITS pg 82. Normally, a Explorator gains The Flesh Is Weak, which is a talent-version of BC's Mechanicus Assimilation, which grants the Machine(x) trait. Genetors give that up, as converting the body to a machine is obviously not in keeping with their ideologies. Instead they get a talent that allows them to acquire various organic traits, such as wings or regeneration. If its okay with you, id like to discuss a method for accomplishing something similar in BC. I used to copy the Genetor list but its rather awkward due to all the changes in mutation and traits between RT and BC, more recently i have been going with this, using the Fleshmoulding list from ToE:
The heretek (and only the heretek) can acquire the 'Forged Flesh' augmentation (rare, like Assimilation), a number of times equal to their Toughness Bonus, each time gaining one of the following traits, to a maximum of (4): Amphibious, Burrower (X), Crawler, Dark Sight, Fear (X), Deadly Natural Weapons, Flyer (X), Multiple Arms (X), Natural Armour (X), Regeneration (X), Size (X), Sturdy, Toxic (X) or Unnatural Characteristic (X).

And letting the GM strip any trait off the list they dont think i should beable to genehack into myself. Im more interested for flavour than power, so dont be shy.  :P

TheGlyphstone

But you didn't give up your familiar, which is the true sign of sacrificing power for flavor. (veeeeeery obscure joke, don't worry about it.)

Unrelated....I want to start this game so bad. I think I'm accumulating RL Corruption points just waiting for people to finish characters.

Life on Mars

Quote from: Jaded on September 13, 2014, 08:57:11 PM
The whip was admittedly mostly for flavour.

I have reworked my character as an Apostate instead of a Psyker, since it seems like Psykers are more popular and my concept worked decently well either way.   I see her using her armour and fist when expecting combat, and no armour and her blade (or unarmed) when trying to blend in.  I could see her having fallen in with a Psyker easily enough, so that angle should hopefully still work. 

I could see her easily going towards Khorne or Slaanesh, so that should be interesting depending on how the game goes.

I don't suppose I could trade her starting armour (Mesh or Flak) for... something?  Maybe a Red-Dot Laser Sight for her laspistol, since I doubt she will hit anything either way.

Everything looks good. Maybe look into acquiring a minion  to look after your armor? As for the for the armor I would take TheGlyphStones advice, might find something you like later on.

Quote from: Darkling on September 14, 2014, 12:14:35 PM
Heh. Okay. Chargen questions for our glorious leader!

A) At chargen, your given your choice of mechandendrite, "Optical  Mechadendrite or Utility  Mechadendrite  or Ballistic  Mechadendrite  with  Laspistol", the only one they dont list, is Medicae, and since im playing a biologis, i find this somewhat incongruous, would it be permissible for me to take a Medicae dendrite at chargen in place of one of those?

B) Since im a heretek biomagos, im likely to fluff all her cybernetics as organic technology in nature. She may or may not have a fondness for tyranids. Will that be okay or would you preferr i stay traditional with it?

C) Biomagos are most typified in the 40k system by the Genetor alt-rank from RT:ITS pg 82. Normally, a Explorator gains The Flesh Is Weak, which is a talent-version of BC's Mechanicus Assimilation, which grants the Machine(x) trait. Genetors give that up, as converting the body to a machine is obviously not in keeping with their ideologies. Instead they get a talent that allows them to acquire various organic traits, such as wings or regeneration. If its okay with you, id like to discuss a method for accomplishing something similar in BC. I used to copy the Genetor list but its rather awkward due to all the changes in mutation and traits between RT and BC, more recently i have been going with this, using the Fleshmoulding list from ToE:
The heretek (and only the heretek) can acquire the 'Forged Flesh' augmentation (rare, like Assimilation), a number of times equal to their Toughness Bonus, each time gaining one of the following traits, to a maximum of (4): Amphibious, Burrower (X), Crawler, Dark Sight, Fear (X), Deadly Natural Weapons, Flyer (X), Multiple Arms (X), Natural Armour (X), Regeneration (X), Size (X), Sturdy, Toxic (X) or Unnatural Characteristic (X).

And letting the GM strip any trait off the list they dont think i should beable to genehack into myself. Im more interested for flavour than power, so dont be shy.  :P

A) Before the switch I would point out you can acquire two items as part of character creation so you could obtain a Medicae dendrite if you wanted. Also I feel the Optical dendrite actually really suits someone interested in biology as it allows microscopic examination. All the dendrites mentioned though have the same rarity so I wouldn't be against you switching it out.

B) I would prefer you stay traditional but you could describe yourself as regrowing flesh over the dendrites to give the appearance of such, really gross.

C) Actually I feel you found your way of getting those traits on your own. You could simply have your character practice the Rite of Fleshmoulding as described in that book. It's treated as a ritual but you can use a -30 medicae test to accomplish those affects. If you acquired assistants or minions to aid you I see no reason you can't perform it on yourself, something that feels very Black Crusad-y.  Added benefit of not spending xp, though you would have the risks involved with performing the ritual.

Usually rituals require research but the started adventure that's lined up would put you int the perfect place to find such information.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 14, 2014, 01:18:56 PM
A) Before the switch I would point out you can acquire two items as part of character creation so you could obtain a Medicae dendrite if you wanted. Also I feel the Optical dendrite actually really suits someone interested in biology as it allows microscopic examination. All the dendrites mentioned though have the same rarity so I wouldn't be against you switching it out.

B) I would prefer you stay traditional but you could describe yourself as regrowing flesh over the dendrites to give the appearance of such, really gross.

C) Actually I feel you found your way of getting those traits on your own. You could simply have your character practice the Rite of Fleshmoulding as described in that book. It's treated as a ritual but you can use a -30 medicae test to accomplish those affects. If you acquired assistants or minions to aid you I see no reason you can't perform it on yourself, something that feels very Black Crusad-y.  Added benefit of not spending xp, though you would have the risks involved with performing the ritual.

Usually rituals require research but the started adventure that's lined up would put you int the perfect place to find such information.
B)Proper genetors mix metal and flesh in their progression, so theres some support for the idea of keeping her metal bits, but i was planning to have her entirely eschew metal as a large part of the reason why she fell out of the admech's graces to begin with. The concept dies without the heresy. I kinda threw it in there just out of habit, i didnt expect you to say no :o

C)Eh, really not interested in using a actual ritual, not only am i not a psyker, but is it aligned to slannesh (who is opposed to my favoured patron, Nurgle), and it subverts the entire modus operandi of a genetor. I might as well play a not-fleshshaper with medicinal habits. Even putting side that a -50 test is basically impossible, I am a heretek, not some backwards warpdabbler. *pokes fun at a psykers* But i honestly dont mind if youd rather leave it out. Your far from the first Gm who didnt like it. I mostly offer it as a effective consolation prize for never being able to take Assimilation, but id rather have neither than engage in the Rite-proper.

But yeh. Thats okay... ill just rework my concept to be mechanical somehow instead of organic.

*Edit; revised the post to be more clear and elaborate.

TheGlyphstone

It could always become part of her character arc/quest...she was thrown out of the Admech for excessive interest in flesh over machine, but was lured to Chaos by the promise of potentially finding what she sought. Developing that sort of pure biotech sounds like a end-of-arc triumph on par with or as part of Ascension, having it accomplished pre-game seems like a waste of development. Along the way, say, researching a Nurgle-aligned variant of the Rite of Fleshmoulding - Papa Nurgle would chortle with delight if one of his children managed to 'steal' knowledge of that kind from prissy old Slaanesh. Or you could go study under Fabius Bile.

You don't even need to be a Psyker, in fact. The Rite of Fleshmoulding mentions the Flesh Shapers of Melancholia, who do NOT have the Psyker trait. It only requires occult and/or medical knowledge.

Life on Mars

Yes, I have no problem with reworking that ritual into more of a....not-ritual...devoted to Nurgle. Change the requirements to medical equipment and glass tubes with people floating in them, adding some prayers to Nurgle for luck. The Ritual they have listed seems more like a science experiment in the first place since the cost of failure is simple rending damage.

My main concern with organic technology would be how it would function. Would you still use tech-use to repair them or would it be medicae? How did you come across the knoweldge?, ect.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 14, 2014, 02:37:51 PM
It could always become part of her character arc/quest...she was thrown out of the Admech for excessive interest in flesh over machine, but was lured to Chaos by the promise of potentially finding what she sought. Developing that sort of pure biotech sounds like a end-of-arc triumph on par with or as part of Ascension, having it accomplished pre-game seems like a waste of development. Along the way, say, researching a Nurgle-aligned variant of the Rite of Fleshmoulding - Papa Nurgle would chortle with delight if one of his children managed to 'steal' knowledge of that kind from prissy old Slaanesh. Or you could go study under Fabius Bile.
Earning the right to fluff my implants as organic rather than metal with no mechanical difference is most certainly not anything near a triumph on par with Apotheosis into a Daemon Prince. :P

And while that would certainly be something i would be interested in if i was playing a psyker or mystic-type, again, its of no interest to a heretek whos focus is on mastering genetics... not ignoring genetics in favour of ritual. :P

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 14, 2014, 02:47:29 PM
Yes, I have no problem with reworking that ritual into more of a....not-ritual...devoted to Nurgle. Change the requirements to medical equipment and glass tubes with people floating in them, adding some prayers to Nurgle for luck. The Ritual they have listed seems more like a science experiment in the first place since the cost of failure is simple rending damage.

My main concern with organic technology would be how it would function. Would you still use tech-use to repair them or would it be medicae? How did you come across the knoweldge?, ect.
That could work, if its more like a elabourate medicae test rather than a ritual then i would be fine with it, the crux is that shes seeking scientific processii, not cheating with magic.

And that would be up to you, broadly speaking id say she uses medicae, but theres no practical difference between techuse and medicae other than the target, and i plan to attain full mastery of both eventually. So do i use +10 tech use or +10 mediae? It doesnt seem to matter a great deal to me mechanically. And she developed it herself while studying xenoforms, she was a jr Magos who found a genetic key that could be used to manipulate highly flexible nid DNA and used it to create a few artificial organs that duplicated the effects of common implants as proof-of-concepts. When she revealed her work.... well, you can imagine. She was lucky to escape with her life and fled to the Vortex with all of her research. Her current project is focused on learning to directly manipulate human DNA with similar facility. Initially she will be convinced that if she could learn to use human DNA like that, instead of the impure strains of a alien, then her peers would welcome her back and shed finally receive the respect and accolades she deserves. But between point A and point B she begins to explore the utility of using viruses to deploy her genetic upgrade payloads to living humans, accidentally gets infected by something very... unpleasant, finds Nurgle, and realizes how tragically pointless such egotistical desires were. Instead shes just going to shower them all with her Father's blessings to prove she forgives them for running her off. ^^

And then, everyone else too~! For Nurgle loves all things.

...Or, such was my original plan anyway.

Life on Mars

Quote from: Darkling on September 14, 2014, 03:12:55 PM
Earning the right to fluff my implants as organic rather than metal with no mechanical difference is most certainly not anything near a triumph on par with Apotheosis into a Daemon Prince. :P

And while that would certainly be something i would be interested in if i was playing a psyker or mystic-type, again, its of no interest to a heretek whos focus is on mastering genetics... not ignoring genetics in favour of ritual. :P
That could work, if its more like a elabourate medicae test rather than a ritual then i would be fine with it, the crux is that shes seeking scientific processii, not cheating with magic.

And that would be up to you, broadly speaking id say she uses medicae, but theres no practical difference between techuse and medicae other than the target, and i plan to attain full mastery of both eventually. So do i use +10 tech use or +10 mediae? It doesnt seem to matter a great deal to me mechanically. And she developed it herself while studying xenoforms, she was a jr Magos who found a genetic key that could be used to manipulate highly flexible nid DNA and used it to create a few artificial organs that duplicated the effects of common implants as proof-of-concepts. When she revealed her work.... well, you can imagine. She was lucky to escape with her life and fled to the Vortex with all of her research. Her current project is focused on learning to directly manipulate human DNA with similar facility. Initially she will be convinced that if she could learn to use human DNA like that, instead of the impure strains of a alien, then her peers would welcome her back and shed finally receive the respect and accolades she deserves. But between point A and point B she begins to explore the utility of using viruses to deploy her genetic upgrade payloads to living humans, accidentally gets infected by something very... unpleasant, finds Nurgle, and realizes how tragically pointless such egotistical desires were. Instead shes just going to shower them all with her Father's blessings to prove she forgives them for running her off. ^^

And then, everyone else too~! For Nurgle loves all things.

...Or, such was my original plan anyway.

Yeah, we can refluff the "rule of sympathy" bits that are needed for ritual bonuses and set the whole thing up as tech-heresy rather than warp magic, though at a certain point those lines start to blur =)

And ok, you can do that with your dendrites and whatnot. For mechanical purposes I'd say if you even need to make a test on them you would use the tech-use or medicae, whichever is lower at the time. Other than that the mechanics will be the same.

ChaoticSky

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Darkling on September 14, 2014, 03:12:55 PM

Who said anything about fluff? I mean total control over the malleability of flesh, twisting it like clay into whatever form you can imagine. No 'implants' involve, you just birth changes in body by will. That's something a Demon Prince can do.

All the more reason to get chummy with Bile, he's the best geneticist and scientist in the galaxy.

So, we've got Jaded's Apostate, my Psyker, Darkling's in-progress Heretek, and HairyHeretic's Night Lord. Who's our wayward 5th columnist?

HairyHeretic

I've put my sheet into my earlier post that had the background. I haven't taken any additional equipment as I think I need to use those slots up to get my Legacy weapon.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Life on Mars

Right, I believe it is deadmanshand who is still finishing his character. No need to rush there though, we want everyone to find something they can have fun with.

Yes, your legacy weapon counts as both your starting acquisitions. It's pretty damn sweet if you ask me, love those rules.

HairyHeretic

Slight update, I'd forgotten to add my Power armour onto the equipment.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

deadmanshand

So retardedly busy the last couple of days. Damn.

First character built in Black Crusade and I haven't played this system since Dark Heresy came out. Thoughts on the mechanics of the character are more than encouraged. Well... thoughts on any part of the character are encouraged really.

Bio
Name: Nuriel, the One Eyed Cremator
Appearance:

Nuriel is to most just a mask. A flat black one eyed mask with a single red eye staring outwards. It's the only sign of the man within as every inch of him is covered by the scarlet cowled flak duster and the heavy, fire resistant clothing beneath. Black gloves cover the hands and strips of black cloth cover the throat.

The survivor of the Pentad Imperial Guard Outpost claims to have seen the mask ripped from him and claims only chaos could have made the creature beneath it.

Background:

My first memories are of soot and ash through the lens of a rebreather as we scavenged for materials on Krieg. The children of the Black House. All of us without family. Without blood to call out own. They called us isoleirt. Trash left to the wastes. We survived. Built our strength among the rocks and the radiation and the death.

When the Imperium called the Achilus Crusade we answered and became the 132nd Death Korps Infantry Regiment. With us came the Chaplain of the Black House. We served death to the foes of the corpse emperor with flame and bolter. There was no fear for us to find on the battlefield that Krieg had not already shown us. Till Selix.

On Selix Secundus we were sent against servants of the Ruinous Powers. Sorcery, daemons, corruption... all were thrown at us. Five hundred of us hit the surface. Four of us remained by the time we breached the command center. The sorcerer waiting for us was strong. Burnt, one eye missing, and the last of the children of the Black House I took his own weapon and killed him with it. Watching him burn as I started to die.

But I didn't. A backup regimen from the Pentad Outpost pulled me from the wreckage clutching a flamer. For three months I lay in a medbay tossed upon tides of pain. Lost in the dark. That is when I started to hear the whispers. Promises of purpose... exultations of the fire's beauty... knowledge of how to turn pain into power. When I awoke I was not the same. The Warp had touched me and the flame had embraced me. Scouring away the man in me like cancer from the flesh.

I took up a new name. Nuriel. When I turned my weapon and my new found power on my fellow guardsmen I earned another. The One Eyed Cremator. The Outpost had housed 1000 soldiers in it's reinforced walls. Only one survived and he only for a few days. By the time he named his killer my trail was cold ashes.

In the days and months that followed I heard the words of my gods. I learned to pray with every flame I gave birth to. To make offerings with every enemies consumed. To earn my place in the unhallowed halls of those Powers by bringing ruin to their enemies. Awaiting the day the flame will take me one last time.

Do you understand?

- Nuriel to Commisar Caleb Talten of the 167th Fellen Infantry

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Nuriel, the One Eyed Cremator
Human Psyker

Wounds: 8 + 1d5
Corruption: 1d5 + 5
WS: 25      BS: 35
S: 20        T: 45 
AG: 35      Int: 42
Per: 45     WP: 55
Fel: 21      Inf: 1d5 + 21

Pride: Devotion      Disgrace: Destruction     Motivation: Violence

SKILLS
Linguistics (Low Gothic)

Common Lore (War), Common Lore (Imperial Guard), Trade (Armourer)

Awareness, Psyniscience, Forbidden Lore: Psykers, Forbidden Lore: Warp, Interrogate, Intimidate, Dodge

TALENTS
Psyker, Jaded, WT (Primary & SP), Warp Sense, Cold Hearted, Orthoproxy

Manifest Flame (100xp), Fire Bolt (100xp), Mind Over Matter (100xp), Telekinetic Shield (200xp), Butcher's Offering

TRAITS
The Quick and the Dead (+2 Initiative)
Chaos Psyker (Psyker, Psy Rating 3, Unbound)

GEAR
Stub Revolver (Common Quality)
Sword (Good Quality)
Flak Cloak
Psy-Focus
Dataslate of Arcane Lore

Corpsefire (Flamer, Legacy Weapon, Legacy of Pain, Merciless Pattern, Acquisition Mod of +10)

XP
200 for Interrogation (Known)
200 for Forbidden Lore: Warp (Known)
250xp for Orthoproxy
250xp for Cold Hearted
100xp for Butcher's Offering

ALIGNMENT
Unaligned 3
Khorne
Nurgle
Slaanesh
Tzeentsch 2

Jaded

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 14, 2014, 01:18:56 PM
Everything looks good. Maybe look into acquiring a minion  to look after your armor? As for the for the armor I would take TheGlyphStones advice, might find something you like later on.

I thought about a minion as it was one of the options, but it is hard to make a good Lesser one. 

Anyone have comments on the below one?  My thought is that he is a servo-skull mainly set to watch the suit and warn off people (though it would be nice if he could have a camera or vox-caster built in).  I see him as still having his jaw attached, but when he draws his weapon it opens and the barrel exits from his mouth.  I'm not sure how intelligent a servo-skull normally is, but I am hoping he can at least talk, do basic reasoning but will follow orders to the letter, etc.  I also envisioned him wearing a flak helmet, but mostly because it just amused me (especially if he was made from the skull of a guardsman). 

I'm also confused by the (X) for traits.  Can I pick any value?  That almost seems to be what was done for some examples, but then why take less than the maximum?  If it can be any value, he'd be Machine (2) and Hoverer (4)

WS:  01 (0)    BS:  30 (3)
S:   05 (0)    T:   05 (0)
AG:  10 (1)    Int: 10 (2)
Per: 30 (3)    WP:  05 (0)
Fel: 04 (0)    Loy: Char Fel

Awareness, Linguistics (Low Gothic), Scrutiny

Heightened Senses (Sight), Mimic, Quick Draw, Unremarkable, Weapon Training (Las)

Hoverer (1)
Machine (1)
Size (2)

Laspistol, Flak Helmet

TheGlyphstone

Servo-skulls and servitors are, for all intents and purposes, robotic drones. They can have fairly complex 'programming', but they can't reason outside their programmed instructions any more than a non-sapient computer could. Any speech would be pre-recorded phrases set on triggers, and reasoning would be limited to predefined program parameters.

If you want a sapient lesser minion, you'll have to make to with some sort of cultist I think.

Life on Mars

Quote from: deadmanshand on September 14, 2014, 05:12:02 PM
So retardedly busy the last couple of days. Damn.

First character built in Black Crusade and I haven't played this system since Dark Heresy came out. Thoughts on the mechanics of the character are more than encouraged. Well... thoughts on any part of the character are encouraged really.

Love it. That's some cool stuff you got there. I'd like to know more about the force that took him, unless he himself doesn't fully understand it (or if you prefer it secret in which case you can pm me) but I like the backstory. Man, really getting some good stuff from players here!

Also, your character sheet looks good but I just want to run over the math real quick on the Legacy Weapon. I think I've been misreading some of the text on Legacy Weapons and want to make sure I got this right.

Corpsefire (Flamer, Legacy Weapon, Legacy of Pain, Merciless Pattern, Acquisition Mod of +10) (nice name)

Ok, so you acquired this as one of your starting pieces of equipment as described in Tome of Blood right? So a Flamer has Common availability, but it's treated as Average because Legacy (+10), you're getting a Single one and I saw nothing about ignoring the amount modifier (+10), then for Craftsmanship you put nothing but since Legacy Weapons are treated as one step higher than what they are the highest you need to go is Good (-10), then you have the modifier for being legacy weapon with Spray (-10). Total Acquisition Modifier of (+0)

So, if I read that right, you could add something like a weapon upgrade to give it one more -10, and still acquire it. I would suggest Extended Magazine (which I read as bigger or extra tanks). But please, someone correct me if I am wrong here.

The second bit is where it says how Legacy Weapons count as extra pieces of starting acquired equipment. I think (again, correct me if I am wrong) that only applies if you turn one of your STARTING pieces of equipment, the ones you get for your character archetype, into a Legacy Weapon and it  has any of those attributes listed in Tome of Blood. Meaning you can still acquire one more item that's at a -10 or higher. Same with HairyHeretic, I believe.

Quote from: Jaded on September 15, 2014, 12:35:00 AM
I thought about a minion as it was one of the options, but it is hard to make a good Lesser one. 

Anyone have comments on the below one?  My thought is that he is a servo-skull mainly set to watch the suit and warn off people (though it would be nice if he could have a camera or vox-caster built in).  I see him as still having his jaw attached, but when he draws his weapon it opens and the barrel exits from his mouth.  I'm not sure how intelligent a servo-skull normally is, but I am hoping he can at least talk, do basic reasoning but will follow orders to the letter, etc.  I also envisioned him wearing a flak helmet, but mostly because it just amused me (especially if he was made from the skull of a guardsman). 

I'm also confused by the (X) for traits.  Can I pick any value?  That almost seems to be what was done for some examples, but then why take less than the maximum?  If it can be any value, he'd be Machine (2) and Hoverer (4)

This being chaos though I don't have much problem with being a bit loose on how much a servo-skull could accomplish. Call it a "Corrupted Servo Skull" or something like that. Only concern is that is lakes the strength to move the armor if necessary and with so few wounds he would be easily taken out by any would-be thieves, though I like your description = ). There are also rules for creating a minion with random stats in Tome of Excess, along with a few more traits:

Quote"To generate Characteristics, roll 2d10 for each Characteristic, and add 10 to the result on each for Lesser Minions, 15 for Minions, and 20 for Greater Minions. Before rolling, the player can choose up to two Characteristics and apply a +5 to those scores. For each Characteristic that gains this bonus, the player must choose another Characteristic to suffer a corresponding –5 penalty."

Good way to generate a cultist but not as great at creating custom jobs.

And yeah, you can take any number listed for the traits. The reason for not taking max, I believe, is flavor only or GM's call. There are also rules.

Last note: I usually give my lesser minions Weapon Training (flame) and a hand flamer or better. Flamers don't require Ballistic Skill tests so having a low score for that doesn't make it less dangerous.

Jaded

I re-envisioned the minion as a skeleton reinforced with machines to give it movement and kind of a servo-skull head/brain.  If I can roll I'd prefer to do that (as the result makes more sense to me, except maybe Int).  The basic concept is it has a few programs it follows, usually follow, wait, guard, etc.  It is built to fit inside the armour itself, basically wearing it when she isn't, and if anyone tries to sneak up on it or otherwise take the armour without a password, it attacks. 

I originally had it with a chain greatsword for the intimidation factor (was surprised they are just scarce), but will go with a flamer as you suggested.

WS:  29 (2)    BS:  18 (2)
S:   20 (2)    T:   18 (1)
AG:  24 (2)    Int: 20 (2)
Per: 32 (3)    WP:  21 (2)
Fel: 27 (2)    Loy: == Fellowship

Natural Armour (4)
Machine (2)
Sturdy

Awareness, Dodge, Scrutiny

Ambidextrous, Combat Sense, Heightened Senses (Sight), Weapon Training (Power, Flame)

Hand Flamer, Flak Armour

+5 WS, +5 Per, -5 Int, -5 BS

At 2014-09-15 03:02:41, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 24
At 2014-09-15 03:02:58, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 23
At 2014-09-15 03:03:18, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 20
At 2014-09-15 03:03:31, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 18
At 2014-09-15 03:03:42, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 24
At 2014-09-15 03:03:55, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 25
At 2014-09-15 03:04:12, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 27
At 2014-09-15 03:04:24, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 21
At 2014-09-15 03:04:36, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 27

Life on Mars

Now that's cool but there is one problem: Machine trait and Natural Armor Bonus don't stack. You can trade in traits to increase another variable, so if you only take two traits you could give it Machine (3).

And the other question... WHOSE skeleton was it?!  :o   Possible plot complication down the road? Only the gm knows... ;D

deadmanshand

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 15, 2014, 02:56:04 AM
Love it. That's some cool stuff you got there. I'd like to know more about the force that took him, unless he himself doesn't fully understand it (or if you prefer it secret in which case you can pm me) but I like the backstory. Man, really getting some good stuff from players here!

I'm glad you love it. As for the force... fucked if I know. I like throwing story hooks into my backstories. If it's something you want to run with have fun. If not cool, creepy background stuff. I win either way.

QuoteAlso, your character sheet looks good but I just want to run over the math real quick on the Legacy Weapon. I think I've been misreading some of the text on Legacy Weapons and want to make sure I got this right.

Corpsefire (Flamer, Legacy Weapon, Legacy of Pain, Merciless Pattern, Acquisition Mod of +10) (nice name)

Ok, so you acquired this as one of your starting pieces of equipment as described in Tome of Blood right? So a Flamer has Common availability, but it's treated as Average because Legacy (+10), you're getting a Single one and I saw nothing about ignoring the amount modifier (+10), then for Craftsmanship you put nothing but since Legacy Weapons are treated as one step higher than what they are the highest you need to go is Good (-10), then you have the modifier for being legacy weapon with Spray (-10). Total Acquisition Modifier of (+0)

So, if I read that right, you could add something like a weapon upgrade to give it one more -10, and still acquire it. I would suggest Extended Magazine (which I read as bigger or extra tanks). But please, someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Really? Awesome. I admit that I didn't read that section as thoroughly as I should have. Being off in no way, shape, or form surprises me. Let me revise it. And I missed out on weapon upgrades and downgrades.

Corspefire - Flamer, Good Quality, Extended Magazine & Pain Vent Upgrades, Noxious Discharge Downgrade, Legacy of Pain, Merciless Pattern, Acquisition of -10

That looks right now and is significantly more thematic.

QuoteThe second bit is where it says how Legacy Weapons count as extra pieces of starting acquired equipment. I think (again, correct me if I am wrong) that only applies if you turn one of your STARTING pieces of equipment, the ones you get for your character archetype, into a Legacy Weapon and it  has any of those attributes listed in Tome of Blood. Meaning you can still acquire one more item that's at a -10 or higher. Same with HairyHeretic, I believe.

Even better. I think I know what fits best.

Gas Mask & Respirator (Best Quality, Acquisition of -10)

Jaded

I knew they didn't stack (though wasn't sure if they were mutually exclusive, I guess it depends on whether or not natural armour can be, uh, unnatural), I just figured he'd have the armour plating on top of the machine parts so would only benefit from the greater of the two.  If that isn't an option I can go with Machine (3). :-)  Though Machine 4 would be better ;)

I was trying to decided on a history for it, especially as I see it covered in gold inlay (or other decorations) and potentially a chaos symbol or two.  My thought was that the corpse was that of a guardsman, acquired and assembled while she was travelling on a pirate ship (or rogue trader vessel).  Though it could also be that she fell in with a cult for a little bit, who were (trying to) assemble an army of mechanical skeleton warriors, she happened to acquire one through barter or theft.  Though, bonus points if the skeleton is of some hero of the empire, and they are a bit... pissed about the theft and desecration. 

TheGlyphstone

Could/would she be able to steal the bones of her aunt? Nice loop into the backstory, and would set you up later down the road with emotional resonance to, if you were inclined, bind a demon into the body as an upgraded Servant.

HairyHeretic

For my additional item, I think a set of Torture Tools would be quite fitting.

As an aside, can you have non human minions? I seem to recall one of the books had an entry for Dark Eldar, and having an outcast Dark Eldar tagging along with me is quite an appealing idea.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Life on Mars

Quote from: deadmanshand on September 15, 2014, 04:08:13 AM
Corspefire - Flamer, Good Quality, Extended Magazine & Pain Vent Upgrades, Noxious Discharge Downgrade, Legacy of Pain, Merciless Pattern, Acquisition of -10

That looks right now and is significantly more thematic.

That neat, but it looks like the Book of Excess upgrades are considered separate items instead of just raising the Availability of the weapon they are put on, Pain Vents being an Extremely Rare item on their own. Given the choice I would just drop noxious discharge and pain vents. Not being able to see every round would get annoying real fast, I think.

Quote from: Jaded on September 15, 2014, 04:10:37 AM
I knew they didn't stack (though wasn't sure if they were mutually exclusive, I guess it depends on whether or not natural armour can be, uh, unnatural), I just figured he'd have the armour plating on top of the machine parts so would only benefit from the greater of the two.  If that isn't an option I can go with Machine (3). :-)  Though Machine 4 would be better ;)

I was trying to decided on a history for it, especially as I see it covered in gold inlay (or other decorations) and potentially a chaos symbol or two.  My thought was that the corpse was that of a guardsman, acquired and assembled while she was travelling on a pirate ship (or rogue trader vessel).  Though it could also be that she fell in with a cult for a little bit, who were (trying to) assemble an army of mechanical skeleton warriors, she happened to acquire one through barter or theft.  Though, bonus points if the skeleton is of some hero of the empire, and they are a bit... pissed about the theft and desecration. 

Oh, well as long as you know it's fine! It benefits from the Machine Trait without it armor anyway, so you can use the Nat Armor bonus since it's higher. You're reasoning is sound.

Any of those would be cool. Maybe a minor soritas hero? Or her aunt, like TheGlyphStone mentioned.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 15, 2014, 08:09:56 AM
For my additional item, I think a set of Torture Tools would be quite fitting.

As an aside, can you have non human minions? I seem to recall one of the books had an entry for Dark Eldar, and having an outcast Dark Eldar tagging along with me is quite an appealing idea.

You can totally have non human minions. The way the rules are set up they could be annoying, with GM permission. Only problem is that lesser minions tend to be weak, usually better as minor servants rather than things truly scary. You could try rolling his/her stats to get a weaker than average Dark Elder, like in Tomb of Excess describes.

TheGlyphstone

Alright, it's time for an ultimatum. Every day we don't start playing, I will donate one of these kittens to a loving home instead of sacrificing it to the Dark Gods....

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 15, 2014, 11:18:11 AM
You can totally have non human minions. The way the rules are set up they could be annoying, with GM permission. Only problem is that lesser minions tend to be weak, usually better as minor servants rather than things truly scary. You could try rolling his/her stats to get a weaker than average Dark Elder, like in Tomb of Excess describes.

It'd still be fun to have. Not sure how I could add one to my character at the moment though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Life on Mars

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 15, 2014, 12:20:22 PM
It'd still be fun to have. Not sure how I could add one to my character at the moment though.

Probably would have to take the Talent later on. Could be a "gift" from some force in the Screaming Vortex due to your infamy.

And I'll start getting the OOC thread ready in the proper section. Good to get all the characters sheets in one place = ). Soon the chaos will BEGIN

deadmanshand

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 15, 2014, 11:18:11 AM
That neat, but it looks like the Book of Excess upgrades are considered separate items instead of just raising the Availability of the weapon they are put on, Pain Vents being an Extremely Rare item on their own. Given the choice I would just drop noxious discharge and pain vents. Not being able to see every round would get annoying real fast, I think.

Seriously? Give additional Upgrades in other books and make them follow different rules? That blows. I really liked the idea of it expelling smoke and screams with every blast. Ah well... let's forget the noxious discharge and pain vents then.

Oh and I forgot to ask if it's cool if I make Corpsefire his Psyfocus?

TheGlyphstone

Incidentally, DMH,  the book says Unaligned advances do not have an alignment, so you don't need to track them. Only Aligned advances to one of the 4 are important.

deadmanshand

That one I know. It was more for me keeping track than anything. So when I have to determine alignment I don't have to look through all of my advances again. All the bookkeeping will already be done.

Terian

I still hold out hope I might squeeze in somewhere :(

Jaded

I like that idea of the skeleton being her aunt. :-)  Thanks.

Below should be the final version of my character sheet.

Character
Castilla Vern
Human Apostate ex-Adepta Sororitas

Wounds: 14
Corruption: 0
WS:  50 (5)    BS:  22 (2)
S:   40 (4)    T:   40 (4)
AG:  50 (5)    Int: 32 (3)
Per: 21 (2)    WP:  21 (2)
Fel: 55 (5)    Inf: 26

Full: 10     Half: 5     Charge: 15     Run: 30

SKILLS
Linguistics (Low Gothic)

Awareness, Charm, Command, Commerce, Deceive +10
Dodge, Inquiry +10, Stealth

Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Creed)
Scholastic Lore (Chymistry, Imperial Creed, Tactica Imperialis)
Forbidden Lore (Daemonology, Heresy, the Inquisition)

Trade (Chymist)

TALENTS
Air of Authority: Command Skill Tests may affect targets fellowship bonus * 10
Hatred (Inquisition): +10 Weapon skill tests to fight, difficult to back down.
Lesser Minion of Chaos:  Gain a lesser minion
Peer (Ecclesiarchy): +10 fellowship bonus when interacting with.
Polyglot: Untrained skill tests with Linguistics Skill.
Radiant Presence: Everyone within 20 meters gain +10 to willpower to resist fear or intimidation
Total Recall: Automatically remember trivial facts or information
Unarmed Warrior: 1d10, Primitive (7) unarmed attacks.  Always counts as armed.
Unshakeable Will: Reroll any failed willpower test to avoid effects of fear.
Weapon Training (Las, Primary, Power)

TRAITS
The Quick and the Dead
Serpent's Tongue

GEAR
Good-Craftsmanship Laspistol
     30m, S/2/-, 1d10+2 E, 0 Pen, 30 Clip, Half Rld
     Reliable
Power Blade
     1d10+3 E (+ S), 5 Pen
     Power Field
Power Fist
     2d10 E (+ Sx2), 8 Pen
     Power Field, Unwieldy

Light Power Armour
     7 AP, +10 S
     Sub-Systems
          Auto-senses: Dark Sight, Heightened Senses (+10)
                       Immune to photon flash and stun grenades
          Osmotic Gill Life Sustainer: Environmentally sealed
          Sustainable Power Source: Does not need to be recharged
     Customization
          Chain Loinguard: Critical Effect to legs is reduced by 2
          At 2014-09-13 20:39:29, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 1d10 Result: 7

Flak Armour OR Mesh Armour
Chaos Symbol Pendant
Unholy Tomes
2 Laspistol Clips

250 for Unarmed Warrior
250 for Weapon Training (Power)
250 for +Agility
250 for +Weapon Skill

Slaanesh: 0
Khorne:   1
Tzeentch: 0
Nurgle:   0

Infamy Roll: At 2014-09-15 19:26:07, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 1d5 Result: 3
Wounds Roll: At 2014-09-15 19:26:27, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 1d5 Result: 5

Castilla was born to a noble family on a minor hive world, both only notable for their corruption.  She was still a baby, a scant two years of age, when the patriarch of her family (and unknown to her, her father) snapped.  Over a single bloody night he tortured, killed, and mutilated the bulk of his extended family.  When the sun finally rose, a dozen people lay dead and only Castilla and her mother (also, technically her aunt) Cirine still lived. 

A cultist, Cirine knew full well that unwanted attention would soon fall on her.  She sent Castilla to study with the Adepta Sororitas, hoping to alleviate suspicion, and went into hiding.  Castilla’s next fifteen years were spent in study, of the Imperial Creed, the Emperor’s Glory, and how to properly serve him. 

Always a bit vain, Castilla was fascinated with two things.  Her own beauty, and her ability in combat.  From the age of eighteen to twenty she served in a campaign against a Chaos threat, under the leadership of an Inquisitor.  She revelled in the combat, but was horrified at what she saw happen to others.  Disfigurement, death.  She wanted to face neither but saw no alternative.

It was near the end of the campaign that Castilla was called before the Inquisitor.  A gift had arrived from her mother, a power blade bearing her family’s crest, a blade that had been passed down for generations before being used in the slaughter of her family.  A blade last seen in the possession of a known witch.  Castilla was sentenced, without a trial or chance to protest the charges, to death for heresy. 

The battle was brief but bloody.  Two sisters lay dead, the inquisitor injured.  Castilla was shattered, her place in the world gone.  As she journeyed, she began to study the truth behind it all.  She gathered texts.  She learned of Khorne’s role as god of honour and martial pride, of Slaanesh’s role as the god of perfection, Nurgle’s role as god of rebirth, and Tzeentch’s role as god of knowledge.  She realized that everything she had ever been told was a lie.  She set out in search of perfection, immortality, and a desire to experience more than the narrow world she had been exposed to. 

Armour
No Armour

Minion
Cirine Vern
Lesser Minion ex-Cultist of Slaanesh
Mechanical Skeleton

Wounds: 2
WS:  29 (2)    BS:  18 (2)
S:   20 (2)    T:   18 (1)
AG:  24 (2)    Int: 20 (2)
Per: 32 (3)    WP:  21 (2)
Fel: 27 (2)    Loy: 55

Full: 4     Half: 2     Charge: 6     Run: 12

Natural Armour (4)
Machine (2)
Sturdy

Awareness, Dodge, Scrutiny

Ambidextrous, Combat Sense, Heightened Senses (Sight), Weapon Training (Power, Flame)

Hand Flamer, Flak Armour

Cirine is all that is left of Castilla's aunt.  Cirine is now a scorched, but reinforced, skeleton covered in mechanical parts and armoured plating.  Various decorations have been worked into her bones and armour out of gold and other materials, symbols of chaos, blasphemous decorations, and similar.  These are usually covered by the armour it wears, but any viewer from the Empire who saw it 'naked' would certainly be shocked.

The machine has a rudimentary intelligence, enough to follow basic orders and protect Castilla's armour when she is away.  A visual match is required for anyone to approach without being attacked, and a password is required to release the armour.

Castilla acquired the skeleton when she returned to her homeworld.  She managed to track down her aunt, too late to save her, just in time to watch her being burnt alive.  She ambushed those sent to dispose of the bones and stole them, wanting to give them a proper burial.  Instead she was forced to flee offworld, the bones still in her possession.  She briefly fell in with a group of cultists who, through honeyed words, managed to convince Castilla that the bones would be honoured far better by being resurrected as a mechanical horror.  It is, they argued, what Cirine would have wanted. 

ChaoticSky

Crunch is done on my sheet, just fluff and my minion left ^^

TheGlyphstone

Proposal for the improved-quality Mimic Mask....in addition to its stated mechanical benefits, could it look more 'real' and less artificial? A common or poor-grade mask would be an obviously fake mask strapped to a character's face, but a Good-quality mask could look like a natural face at a casual glance, while a Best-Quality mask could be so realistic as to be indistinguishable without close examination?

Life on Mars

Hmmm, not sure that works with the fluff for it's origins as there culture seems to be around wearing the masks. I've been thinking it over myself, reading how weapons handle it, and was thinking lowering the WP test by 5 for good would be more appropriate.

TheGlyphstone

That's fine, though in that case I'd like to be able to do something like apply mundane disguise materials to the mask to make it look less artificial, so I don't stand out quite so much.

What would a (-5) test be called? Slightly Inconvenient?

HairyHeretic

Wearing a mask could be seen as the sort of affection a noble might have.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, but looking like a noble might not always be to my benefit.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 17, 2014, 06:19:38 PM
Yeah, but looking like a noble might not always be to my benefit.
then make it look like your wearing someone else's face :P thats always popular.

Life on Mars

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 16, 2014, 07:46:04 PM
That's fine, though in that case I'd like to be able to do something like apply mundane disguise materials to the mask to make it look less artificial, so I don't stand out quite so much.

What would a (-5) test be called? Slightly Inconvenient?
"Slightly Inconvenient" until a test is failed by 5, then it's the worst ever. xD

Have you looked at how Chaos worshipers look? Just throw some spikes and maybe a severed hand or two and you'll practically be indistinguishable.  Seriously though I don't see that working. Reading the lore about the mask and the city it comes from reads that the masks are designed to be seen as masks and not to appear as their real face. Also the mask's power comes from it's ability to shift slightly in ways that "give greater meaning to hand gestures and body language" so applying disguises to it would hinder it's power.

Are there any questions before I start everything up? I'm about to go and create the ooc thread and everything.

TheGlyphstone

I'm not concerned about how I look to other Chaos worshippers. I'm worried about when I have to go amongst/infiltrate the Imperials, at which point spikes and severed hands are rather counterproductive.

As for disguising the mask - I'm not sure how, say, applying a coat of flesh-colored dye to the surface would impede its function. That's the extent of disguise I'm after, just enough so I'm not any more blatantly 'weird' than I have to be.

Life on Mars

Well maybe it wouldn't be wise to bring it to infiltration? Sounds like a great tool for working with chaos but not every tool is right for every job. Plus the mask is a mask so even flesh-colored dye would look odd when the mouth doesn't move when you talk. You might be able to forge something though, in-game, as part of the plot that can aid you in that endeavor.

I created the OOC thread for everyone to post their sheets so now we can have them all together in one place. Once all the sheets are posted we can also use it for OOC discussion. I've spent the past day or so looking over back-stories and making some tie-ins for the plot, so hopefully everyone will like them.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=213855.0

TheGlyphstone

But but but...+20 to Deceive!!! ;D

Like I said, I wouldn't expect "indistinguishable from a face" for anything less than a Best-Craftsmanship version. I was just after something of appropriate color that people I pass on the street wouldn't see anything odd about my face unless already specifically paying attention to me.

Posting over in OOC now.

Life on Mars

Hmm, it's hard to say. Really depends on what planet it is, how the locals dress, local customs ect. We will have to see what kind of schemes you guys develop as the plot goes on.

TheGlyphstone

I'll wear a pair of pink rabbit ears if it means our game starts soon.

Life on Mars

Well I don't see any reason I can't get everything started tomorrow (er, today I suppose considering it's 2am over here). Finally have a day off so I can sit back and focus on fun things like these. And don't think you're the only one excited, reading the Tomes has given me all SORTS of ideas  >:)