News:

Main Menu

Nightwish!!!

Started by Lord Drake, April 26, 2010, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KikuLei

Quote from: GothicFires on May 15, 2010, 10:48:00 PM
Nightwish as always been more than Tarja. The woman can sing... but she's an opera singer. Her voice has no inflection or emotion. I have never listened to nightwish for her voice even when she was in the band. I never understood those who raved about her. Anne Lennox she's not (my opinion of the best female rock singer ever). Marco is one of the best male singers. He teamed up with 3 other power vocalist for a project Northern Kings (I think) which covered songs from the 80s. Tarot kicks butt too.

so limit your choices if you wish. But Nightwish continues to put out great music. I like them even better now that Tarja is gone.

I am not going to try to persuade you into thinking Tarja is better but..you are obviously mistaken to say Tarja had NO EMOTION in her vocals. She is a Dramatic lyrical soprano, of course she has emotion in her voice. Maybe you are too caught up in the new Nightwish's little catchy tunes to see real art? :) Personally, though I miss Nightwish's artistic background that they had to make strong to keep up with Tarja's amazing vocals...she's better vocal wise without them. She sings like she enjoys it again, not like she is being forced too.

I don't limit my choices, I have standards for what I call music. As for Nightwish putting out good music, I am not denying that they can't put out good music. I am just saying they haven't since Tarja left.  :-) Point proven, toodles.

Vekseid

Heyheyhey.

'nuff with the Tarja versus Anette business please. : )

jouzinka

*bookmarks this thread*

I took the long way around to get to Nightwish. I stumbled upon a band called Damnation Angels

Damnation Angels - Bringer Of Light

And I totally fell in LOVE with them, ordered their EP, listened to it all round. Then I played it to my bro and he said something like: "If you like this, you'll like Nightwish too, google 'Nemo' and 'Amaranth'."

I didn't like Nemo or Amaranth, but I was TOTALLY blown away by Over the Hills and Far Away and The Islander and I started to listen to more and more.

And even though I wasn't Nightwish fan from the beginning, I always thought like WTF when I watched Anette as she seemed to me like a pop singer who wandered off into the wrong studio. o.O

That all changed when I listened to The Poet and the Pendulum as that's easily the most epic thing I've ever heard. <3
The Poet and the Pendulum by Nightwish - Lyrics
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: GothicFires on May 15, 2010, 10:48:00 PM
...Marco is one of the best male singers...

He's no Huey Lewis, that's for sure.

Also the new Nightwish lead looks untrustworthy. Like, if you gave her half a chance she'd steal your wallet or your dog or pretty much anything you didn't nail down before she got to it.
She's got shifty eyes, very shifty eyes.

As for favourite Nightwash (private joke) songs I would probably go with Over the Hills or maybe Dark Chest of Wonders. Bye Bye Beautiful was a decent track as well, however it's pretty much the only thing I liked off the new album which was a shame.

Wyrd

Gotta say my Fav songs by this formally awesome group would have to be Planet Hell, NightQuest and Sleeping Sun.

Though as much as I love these guys, they just are not the same band any more without Tarja. I hope she will someday return to bring new life into the band and the kinda dull and repetitive Symphonic metal scene of today   
Ragtime Dandies!

Zadaris

A few songs since the change have been pretty decent; I can say I've heard much, much worse but of course change is an unfortunate thing (and angers alot of people; like me in the beginning).

I think my favourite song is Dead to the World. And She is my Sin is great too, especially the riff it opens with. Effing awesome!
"The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them, into the impossible."

GothicFires

Tarja is a good singer.. for opera. I always found her voice lacking, dry and hollow. The new girl isn't any better or worse just different. I don't understand why people just can't like them both or not like one of them with out trashing the band or the other singer. Nightwish wasn't Nighttarja or tarjawish. She didn't make them she didn't break them.. she was just there.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

jouzinka

Personally I think the biggest dismay is caused because Nightwish after Tarja is different. Naturally. Marco gets a lot more space as a singer and musician that he didn't get with Tarja, you get to hear a lot more sound behind the voices, plus the music isn't centered around the lead vocal (my impression). They had grown, evolved. Maybe that just came with the years passing and it's hard to say whether that would happen with Tarja too, but somehow I doubt it.

Some people like the change, some people don't, but there are really only few who are somewhat indifferent.

This way or that, Tarja isn't coming back. Tuomas makes sure to be damn clear about it and I must say, Anette has my admiration for not running away from all that bashing.

toysintheattic

I prefer Tarja to Anette as well, but 90% of the songs on Dark Passion Play are EPICBADASSAMAZINGTHESHIT. That's the only way I know how to put it, folks.
However, I believe Nightwish is nothing without Tuomas.
Some of my favortie songs include:
Ghost Love Score
Sleeping Sun
Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan [67% sure I spelled that right.]
Ever Dream
Master Passion Greed
Sahara
Nemo
Dark Chest of Wonders
Gethsemane
Last Of The Wilds
Amaranth
And the list goes on.
Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

How to play with toys.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

Obsidian Isolabella

I LOVE Nightwish so much!

My favorite songs would probably have to be, hmmm. Gothic Sanctuary, Bye Bye Beautiful, Over The Hills And Far Away and I Wish I had An Angel.

Although, you know, it was because I listened to Nightwish that I got into Lacuna Coil. I absolutely LOOOOOOVOVVVEEEE Lacuna Coil too.

Wyrd

I hope this band explores more of the power metal side of them rather then the slightly boring gothic side. In the last album they kinda gat into it now that they have the new singer, but i feel a lot of their songs are just missing that punch and spice that i wish they had more of
Ragtime Dandies!

KikuLei

Well, since they lost what originality they had and a beautiful woman, they had alot of emotion going on so the songs were well written. Sung horribly but, well written. Now it's like...

' Tuomas your last album sold million! we want you to start another pronto! '
' Tuomas: Okay! - Pen and paper, five hours pass.- Shit! :D '

Wyrd

Well if Nightwish is done making good albums I can go listen to the Symphonic powre metal masterpiece "At the Edge of Time" That Bling Guardian just reliesed.
Ragtime Dandies!

KikuLei

They stopped making good albums once Tarja left. Dark passion play was...generic. But, if I were you I'd give The Repo the genetic opera songs a try , Sarah Brightman played in it. Or Inva Mula's Diva Dance from - The Fifth Element. Good songs, good songs.

Wyrd

Meh, to be honest ever since Tarja left nightwish I find most Symphonic bands with a Female singer kind of annoying now. Epica, Xandria, Sirenia, and even nightwish now all give out the same bland and genaric sound. Bands like Dragonland, Rhapsody of fire, Kamelot and Blind Guardian are the ones to keep an eye on. Though I will The Repo the genetic opera and Inva Mula's Diva Dance a listen.
Ragtime Dandies!

KikuLei

and surprisingly, the funky techno opera in The Diva Dance is actually possible to do. o.O

Zaer Darkwail

I do not touch the subject of Tarja vs Anette even 1 mile long pole as that will be eternal grudge subject. There was hits on old albums which I loved a lot and in new albums there is songs which I like a lot too. band changes and evolves but I like Tuomas created songs (and in extend Marco's singing and like Tarot and Northern Kings).

My favorite song is Wish I Had an Angel.

Nightwish - Wish I Had an Angel [HD 720p]

*tags the thread*

AtlasEros

It was about 10 years ago when I first came across this band, I really like them. I like both vocalists.  I wish I had an Angel is my favorite song of theirs, but I also really like Amaranth, which has a great video.
O/O

AmberStarfire

Best band ever! I'm a big Marco fan, and friended them on Facebook.  :D

High Hopes is a great song (wish I could've been there for that concert!)
Nightwish - 08 High Hopes (End of An Era) Live

Other favourites are Over the Hills and Far Away (video clip, not concert), Phantom of the Opera (in concert), Amaranth (video), Sleeping Sun (video), Bye Bye Beautiful (video) and others.

This is the Phantom of the Opera one:
Nightwish - Phantom of the Opera

Major Major

You know the weird thing? Every now and again, I've gone looking on Youtube for vids about ships, and nine times out of ten, any vids about shipwrecks I come across will use Sleeping Sun as a backing track.

Wyrd

Looks the Nightwish guys are making a movie to go along with their up coming album.

Check it out
Ragtime Dandies!

jouzinka

Hmmmmmm, sounds interesting. :)