This is an invasion of privacy

Started by Paladin, April 18, 2010, 05:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin

Soran

and more...I have no issue with the tracking software, but taking pictures even though they know the computer is located in the students home... that is just vile.  The school is going to get nailed to the wall for that.

HairyHeretic

I'm wondering why this is back in the news, as I recall it happening a couple of months ago. Have there been new developments?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

DarklingAlice

The court trial is still unresolved, they are probably just updating. Plus I believe there have been allegations that certain unwitting comments made by school officials might indicate that they had downloaded pictures of students to their personal computers for their own...um...entertainment, creating a concern that this might go beyond invasion of privacy and into the realm of some kind of voyeuristic sex crime. Do note that that is only an allegation at the moment as, last I read, they were having trouble getting legal access to the defendants personal computers, but that is probably enough to get it back on the news.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Vekseid

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 18, 2010, 10:23:18 AM
I'm wondering why this is back in the news, as I recall it happening a couple of months ago. Have there been new developments?

New development as information from the trial-gathering process is getting leaked. Apparently investigators are recovering a lot of images and emails.

Trieste

I found it interesting to read the perspective of the parents opposed to the lawsuit, especially a class action lawsuit.

Quote from: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/85934477.html
Andy Derrow, a Harriton junior's father who has joined the new group, said yesterday: "There are a lot of us who are incredibly skeptical of the motives of the Robbins family." He said the district was a "pioneer" in buying laptops for students to use at home as well as in school.

"It is so easy to second-guess the decision [to use the laptop theft-tracking device], but there was no handbook out there for how to do it," he said. "We are all waiting for all the facts to be known, but so far, our attitude is that we want to help the school district fix whatever needs to be fixed and to move on."

Quote from: http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2010/03/privacy-is-pricy-some-parents-against-webcam-suit.html
Several meeting attendees say that an expensive litigation and settlement would result in nothing more than parents "suing themselves" as the taxpayers who are responsible for the schools' bills. "I think it's going to put a burden on the students and taxpayers. We already built a new high school, have another on the way. We have a burden already," parent Lonnie Hovey told ABC.

It also appears that school officials are not able to confirm or deny whether the student reported the laptop as missing...?

Quote from: http://www.physorg.com/news185826013.html
The suit does not say if his laptop had been reported stolen, and Young said the litigation prevents him from disclosing that fact. He said the district never violated its policy of only using the remote-activation software to find missing laptops. "Infer what you want," Young said.

The conflicting reports are a little confusing.