'Guardian' of my dog? WTF

Started by Rider of Wind, April 08, 2010, 11:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rider of Wind

http://www.caredogtraining.com/Articles/owner.htm

"IDA's letter proudly pointed out that San Francisco; West Hollywood; Berkeley, Calif.; Boulder, Colo.; Amherst, Mass., and the state of Rhode Island have already enacted ordinances changing owners into guardians. (Some of those jurisdictions have also embraced the animal-rights movement's other language crusade, changing "pets" into "companion animals.") Although IDA cited these cities and state as evidence that the notion of "guardian" is spreading, to me it suggests the opposite: Its successes are confined to left-wing pockets. I'll be impressed when Kansas City takes up the idea."

I agree with THIS:
"Guardianship, a word always applied to human beings, implies equality-the highest and perhaps most noble of all goals in this democratic nation. Ownership implies responsibility. Americans who own dogs need to be more responsible for them, literally and emotionally-not more equal to them."
Not currently taking new roleplays.
Rider's A/A's Update 10-20-14~ O/O's
Posting rate: On Hiatus until June 2nd.

Rider of Wind

I get the purpose but it just offends me on some level, yes my dog is my baby, my child. But it's still an animal and a creature that requires my leadership. As it's owner, it's not my slave but my responsibility, and it will never be my equal or the equivalent of a human friend. It's status is a step below mine and always will be. The term 'guardian' feels temporary and flaky to me.

Just...ugh.

Callie Del Noire

I seriously don't know what to think about this. It boggles that they don't have more important things to do than to waste time on things like this.

Rider of Wind

Yeah, I read the whole thing with this big eyebrow raise of skeptic annoyance. Seriously.