That is what she...did???

Started by Seychan, March 28, 2010, 03:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seychan

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/10973778/Woman_Charged_for_Squirting_Breast_Milk_at_Deputy_receives_Felony_Biohazard_charge?ct=around_cm

Yeah, you read this, and you are probably laughing, or wondering what the heck is going on.

If you are, you know what, so was I. Strange the things you find on the internet, but even stranger the things people will do.

It scares me that she was drunk and still breast feeding...What are your opinions? Off-topic and weird, but seriously, I had to share.

Oniya

She may not have been actively breast-feeding.  It's entirely possible that she formula-feeds and her hormones haven't gone back into 'non-lactating mode' yet.

But seriously.  Biohazard sounds a bit extreme unless they knew she had something communicable, but even spitting on an officer is a Bad IdeaTM under any circumstances.  Personally, I'd rank this somewhere around throwing a drink in the officer's face. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sure

I'd rank it more along the lines of peeing on them. Bodily fluids are different from drink. Still, it's a bad idea at any rate.

Oniya

Well, considering that breast milk is the only bodily fluid that is designed for human consumption...;)

I personally find it less offensive than peeing and I'm not sure how it ranks as far as 'dangerous' the way blood would be.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sure

The reason I chose pee over blood is because pee is harmless (as I assume breast milk is, though I'm not really informed about that). You can survive off of only drinking pee for... I think it's three weeks, however, eventually your kidneys will fail if you just drink pee because you are re-consuming waste your body is trying to get rid of, and your kidney will continue to process it out and eventually the strain will cause your kidneys to fail. This is the only way pee is a dangerous liquid. And even that component can be removed with some very simple processing.

Survival guides teach you the most interesting stuff...

And I don't see how a woman purposely squirting with breast milk is less offensive. In both cases it is a clear statement of contempt using a bodily fluid.

Oniya

Urine is actually sterile as well, unless you have an active bladder infection.  Waste products just have that added stigma of the victim belonging in a place where waste is disposed of.  If that makes any sense.

I'm not saying she shouldn't have gotten in trouble.  If I took a glass of cow's milk and threw it in a cop's face, I would expect to be up on a misdemeanor.  It's still contempt, it's just not the offender's own bodily fluid.

As blood is actively dangerous, I can understand ramping that up to a felony.

Seychan

Both of you have good points. I don't think she should have gotten a biohazard felony charge. Assault, yeah, but unless they can prove she has something communicable and really intended to get the officer sick by it...well, you know.

The thing that bothers me most about this article is that they don't mention the kid or family, just her. If she was breast feeding or full enough to shoot an officer in the face...there is some kind of child out there.

Think maybe they are just respecting the baby's rights?

I mean, if the mom is in for a felony charge, the baby is going to need somewhere to go. I don't think someone can lactate without a child that much...then again, I could be wrong.

Thanks for the comments on this random off-topic issue.

Oniya

Some people produce more than others.  That's how it's possible for hospitals to set up milk-banks.  If the hormones are right, and she's been stimulating production (which can be done by artificial means - I've heard of mothers who were adopting infants 'prepping' so that they can breastfeed), then the kid could even be 'off the breast'.  If she's in the process of weaning, it might also account for extra fullness (and a possibly crabby attitude).

Seychan

Quote from: Oniya on March 29, 2010, 02:53:37 PM
Some people produce more than others.  That's how it's possible for hospitals to set up milk-banks.  If the hormones are right, and she's been stimulating production (which can be done by artificial means - I've heard of mothers who were adopting infants 'prepping' so that they can breastfeed), then the kid could even be 'off the breast'.  If she's in the process of weaning, it might also account for extra fullness (and a possibly crabby attitude).

I can understand the crabby attitude for sure, especially if it was artificially induced...gah, the horror of having a pill that makes you do that for no reason...I'd probably make a strange news article too. She may have been trying to regulate other things...I now sympathize with her a bit...still, hormones or not, she could have used some better judgment skills.

Oniya

I'm pretty sure there was a reason (weaning a child, or prepping for adoption of a newborn would be my first guesses) - and by artificial means, I was think more of using a pump or manual stimulation to keep/start producing 'enough'.  As someone who has been through the process, I can say that if they're full enough to squirt, it's like having a balloon stretching your skin.

And of course, I'm giving her a bit of the benefit of the doubt.  She could just be one of those drunks that thinks spraying people with liquid is the height of comedy.   ::)

Seychan

True. And like one of my friends said, hateful or not, she had pretty good aim to get in on the officer's face.

I personally have not been through the artificial means, but understand the balloon stretch because I have been through the natural process.

Indeed, if they even have the remote chance of squirting someone in the face, chances are she probably isn't too mad about the felony charge. The tension in that moment likely overrode the ones she'll feel in court. ::)