What movie was the bane of your existence as a child?

Started by Darkcide, February 10, 2010, 09:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkcide

What was the one film that absolutely terrified you back in your younger days?

Mine had to be Candyman, I think it was Tony Todd's voice and the bees that got to me. I used to hate that damn movie when I was a little kid though.

Scott

The original "Walking Tall" Dad really got into that movie for some reason, and we had to go see it at the drive in movie theater at least 20 times.

Mathim

The animated Hobbit. I was like 3 when this daycare center I was at showed it to me and two other 'naughty' children to punish us. Scared the living shit out of us. "The Terror of the Ring" chant done in the creepy voice the guy had...boy, conservative Christians really have a screwed up way of disciplining their kids. On top of that, in kindergarten my teacher played a tape recording of "Where the Wild Things Are" in a horribly scary voice and again, gave me and half the class nightmares for half a decade. I really should have tried to sue.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

jouzinka

When I was little, I'm sure the 'Neverending Story' and Gmok were something that scared the hell out of me. Still does, by the way. Also, the Czech tale 'The Maiden and the Monster' was a terrifying watch.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Samael

Oh yeah, the Gmork is a great choice...
Still disturbing to this day...

Poltergeist scared the hell out of me. Especially Poltergeist two. Anyone remember the scene where the Dad emptied a bottle of tequila and swallowed the worm, which possessed him then?
Years of checking the bottom of every bottle I did drink from followed watching that movie...

Which was followed by the worm vomit scene...
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

jouzinka

So delightfully awful. Geez, the skin on my neck CRAWLS at the sight of the beast.

Still can't stop watching him. *shudders*

Another film that really scared me when I watched it was the Clash of the Titans... It was probably not suitable for my age, because I didn't understand it back then, still terrified me.

Samael

...*is guilty of having just rewatched both the Poltergeist and the Gmork scene on Youtube*

...Yep, still as effective as before *shudders*

Oh, Clash of titans, the satyr like guy, and the Medusa...
The kraken was awesome, but that Satyr guy just gave me the creeps.

Gmork scene

Sabby

They.

Total mind fuck, that movie, without so much as a drop of closure at the end. Most depressing and traumatizing film for a 10 year old...

Scroll down a lil to my siggy, ignore the naked picie trap, and click on my Dream Diary. Done reading? Thats because of They. I pin all my mentally fucked up dreams squarely on that film.

Darkcide

My cousin was really friendly when we were kids. Horror movies wouldn't scare her, like the Exorcist didn't do anything. But Ghostbuster's terrified her.

Mr Self Destruct

Nothing But Trouble: "Mr. Bonestripper"

Nothing But Trouble

This movie scared the piss outta me when I was younger (it came out in 91, so I was 11), and it still kinda freaks me out to watch it today.  Just the absolutely horrendous things this judge did to people set to a comedic vein just really creeped me out. lol  Demi Moore looked pretty good in it, though. :)

subfuta

Combicon

I honestly can't remember, although I do know I got freaked out one hell of a lot by the lion that came on before Tom and Jerry and other cartoons.
The MGM lion.
This one: http://72dpi.cn/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/mgm-leo-lion-logo-history.jpg

somdgirl

A babysitter showed me Candyman as a child. I don't think I went into the bathroom alone at night for at least a year. I guess I should watch it again. To this day I have not seen it again.

Sabby

Almost forgot. Arachnophobia. Watched that thing over and over... yeah, terrified of spiders, but couldn't look away.

jouzinka

Quote from: Samael on February 10, 2010, 03:28:13 PM
...*is guilty of having just rewatched both the Poltergeist and the Gmork scene on Youtube*

...Yep, still as effective as before *shudders*

Funny, how the mind works. Today I know what happens, I know he's there in the cave, I know it's a puppet (an impressive one), I've seen it for hundreds of times at least, yet I'm STILL scared.

The wolf (or werewolf or whatever he's supposed to be), just gives me creeps up and down the spine.

Samael

Quote from: jouzinka on February 11, 2010, 10:42:27 AM
Funny, how the mind works. Today I know what happens, I know he's there in the cave, I know it's a puppet (an impressive one), I've seen it for hundreds of times at least, yet I'm STILL scared.

The wolf (or werewolf or whatever he's supposed to be), just gives me creeps up and down the spine.

I think it's the eyes.
Whenever those eyes go wide, I want to just walk away, slowly, very slowly.
3:18, as the lightning strikes is one of those scenes where I feel a shiver. Just the way the wolf tilts his head back and widens those eyes. It makes me want to run away. Something in that triggers the "flee" instinct.

Yakkul

Grease 1 & 2.... my sister watched them over, and over and over again...

*shudders*

Sabby

LadySky

My Name is Nobody, They Call Me Trinity, They Still Call Me Trinity. A series of spagetti westerns that my father ADORED.

Though I do love these movies, my family watched them sooooooooo much when I was a kid they became painful!

Trinity was DISGUSTING!

Trinity Eating Beans
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

thebobmaster

I was a very easily frightened child. The Beast in "Beauty and the Beast" is pretty freaky in the early movie. My sister loved the movie.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

RP Ideas:New and Approved!

Lady Chevalier

Gremlins! Dear god that movie is terrifying. Even now those little monsters give me the heeby jeebies.
"Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit." - Vergil

Muninn

Oh, goodness yes, Gmork was a nightmare incarnate.

Also that Alice Through the Looking Glass from the 80's... Carl Channing terrified me.

Oh, and the Jabberwocky scene, too!!

(Though I recently looked up that scene on youtube and it was... not nearly as scary as I remembered).

Schwarzepard

Gmork seems awfully philosophical for an evil nightmare wolf, waxing loquacious about the nature of imaginationland with a kid.

Besides, he's full of crap.  If Fantasia were the product of human hopes and dreams, it would be full of orgies and things a lot scarier than him.

Muninn

Quote from: HeretiKat on March 06, 2010, 01:15:50 AM
Gmork seems awfully philosophical for an evil nightmare wolf, waxing loquacious about the nature of imaginationland with a kid.

Besides, he's full of crap.  If Fantasia were the product of human hopes and dreams, it would be full of orgies and things a lot scarier than him.

Agreed, but thus why The Neverending Story is a *children's* book. ;)

I think Gmork held so much power to terrify younger children simply by his design: Fierce wolf with nasty-long fangs and creepily glowing eyes that glow in the shadows.  Also adding to his creep factor was his never-quite-seen-till-the-end, for me that's what makes or breaks a monster film:  if you show the monster right up from the beginning chances are the scary factor drops significantly, but if you hold out offering only brief glimpses of an eye, a leg, claws, etc (or maybe nothing at all) that adds suspense to the mixture.

jouzinka

Quote from: HeretiKat on March 06, 2010, 01:15:50 AM

Whoever said there weren't orgies in Fantasia? It was a realm of all people's imagination, children and adult alike, they just weren't shown in the movie/book, because it wasn't the focus. :-)

Gmork wasn't scary himself (well, yeah, maybe...), but the power he possessed and the malice that practically oozed from him was what made him sooooo delightfully awful.