Mass Effect 2 (With spoilers!)

Started by Avi, January 15, 2010, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

This thread is devoted to all discussion, debate, and/or rantings about the upcoming, highly anticipated sequel to a Bioware classic, Mass Effect 2.  I personally just placed my order for it today, and I am guaranteed to have it delivered on release day.  Here in North America, that is January 26th.

I, for one, am really looking forward to getting my hands on it.  I am a huge Bioware fan, going back as far as Baldur's Gate, and I loved their first foray into a totally-new Sci-fi franchise.  I am eager to continue the story of my version of the Commander (Michael Shepard, a Soldier) and seeing just where some of his old squadmates have ended up in the two years since the previous installment.  Here's hoping that I can get Wrex and Tali teamed back up again.  Thane, one of the new characters, also looks very compelling.  Of course, I'm also looking forward to turning Collectors into swiss cheese with a trusty assault rifle.

To get things started:

Name one thing that you are excited about learning over the course of the game.

Is there anything that you're dreading might happen?
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Paladin

All I know is I have the damn thing preordered and completly paid for and can't wait for it to come out.

As for the rest... no thanks.

goalt

I too am a huge Bioware-fan. Got my ME2 on preorder.

Am annoyed that there's apparently still no human/human F/F, but it makes it easier for my Shepard to stay loyal to her Liara.
So, hey. Back now, and ready to write. Woo!
O&O

Avi

My Shepard hooked up with Liara too... I truly hope that she returns as a squadmate and not just as a supporting character, as seems to be the case with Wrex (if he survived Virmire).

The7thKeeper

Quote from: Avi on January 15, 2010, 10:42:23 PM
My Shepard hooked up with Liara too... I truly hope that she returns as a squadmate and not just as a supporting character, as seems to be the case with Wrex (if he survived Virmire).

From what I know, she returns as a possible love interest/support character, but not as a teammate.

Inkidu

Pre-ordered it!

I'm looking forward to shorter elevator rides!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Paladin

Quote from: Avi on January 15, 2010, 10:42:23 PM

Damn, did everybody hook up with the Hot blue skinned alien science chick? LOL

Inkidu

Quote from: Paladin on January 16, 2010, 07:46:47 PM
Damn, did everybody hook up with the Hot blue skinned alien science chick? LOL
Nope, I'm a xenophope I guess. Though eventually I did. First was Ash.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Avi

Quote from: Inkidu on January 16, 2010, 07:57:40 PM
Nope, I'm a xenophope I guess. Though eventually I did. First was Ash.

I did it the exact opposite way. >_>  I picked Ash for death the first time around, then Kaidan the second time.  The one thing I didn't get was why people thought Ashley was a "bitch" for being a bit bitter toward alien races.  I mean, her dad got screwed over because he was associated with humanity's "loss" of the First Contact War.  I'd feel a bit resentful toward Turians and Asari too...

Inkidu

Quote from: Avi on January 16, 2010, 09:49:22 PM
I did it the exact opposite way. >_>  I picked Ash for death the first time around, then Kaidan the second time.  The one thing I didn't get was why people thought Ashley was a "bitch" for being a bit bitter toward alien races.  I mean, her dad got screwed over because he was associated with humanity's "loss" of the First Contact War.  I'd feel a bit resentful toward Turians and Asari too...
That's why I loved Mass Effect. You got to play essentially a newcomer to galactic politics.

Slywyn

And it was fun. Second time I played, if you even looked at me the wrong way, you died. Awesomesauce.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Inkidu

I love how when you're faced with the choice to kill the Rachni queen if you do you're wrong.

Galactic Council endorses slaughtering there whole homeworld.  GOOD!

Shepard not taking the chance that they will come back and killing it. Genocider! BAD!

That opened my eyes to the double standard of the Council.

Kane Gunlock

I liked the first one planning on getting the second

Avi

Quote from: Kane Gunlock on January 17, 2010, 06:30:11 PM
I liked the first one planning on getting the second

Agreed.  I think it shows how much confidence the developers had in the world which they had crafted so carefully.  Kudos to them for having the balls to leave it open-ended like that.

Slywyn

It left them wide open for sequels. And hopefully they'll blow the doors off again with the second. I'm gonna play it even if I hate it, I just like the story too much.

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on January 17, 2010, 06:17:50 PM
I love how when you're faced with the choice to kill the Rachni queen if you do you're wrong.

Galactic Council endorses slaughtering there whole homeworld.  GOOD!

Shepard not taking the chance that they will come back and killing it. Genocider! BAD!

That opened my eyes to the double standard of the Council.

They were upset over the decision being made, not the decision itself. A Rachni Queen is a pretty big deal... release it, kill it, whatever, it was locked up and not going anywhere. The proper Specter thing to do would have been make sure it was safe and advise on the situation. Taking action at all would have pissed the council off.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on January 18, 2010, 08:16:20 PM
They were upset over the decision being made, not the decision itself. A Rachni Queen is a pretty big deal... release it, kill it, whatever, it was locked up and not going anywhere. The proper Specter thing to do would have been make sure it was safe and advise on the situation. Taking action at all would have pissed the council off.
I know that you get hit either way, however my point was when the council wants to kill something its cool. When I do it following their example, bad.

My favorite line in Mass Effect is still:

"We humans have another saying too: 'Go to hell'."

Mr Self Destruct

I've got his on preorder and I can't wait to play it.  Mass Effect was absolutely amazing, and aside from games like KoToR, its easily one of the best sci-fi role playing games I've ever jumped into.  BioWare is an astounding developer, and I hope they keep putting out the same quality in everything they do.

Callie Del Noire

Read a little on the Wiki and apparently Shepard will be able to change classes if you import him over.

Won't say why here.. but I'm curious to see if it's true or not. :D

Slywyn

That's true from what I've heard too. If you want to go a different path, you can.

Callie Del Noire

And more than 2 endings.. seriously curious to see how they do that.

I LOVE the use of Martin Sheen as the Shadow Broker.

Slywyn

Well, if you wanted to be technical, there were like... 3 endings in the first one. Possibly more.

Avi

Four endings, technically.  You can either save the original Council... or not, and then you pick Anderson or Udina to be the human rep on the Council.

Slywyn

Ah, right. I knew I was forgetting something. I want my ending where I picked Anderson. That should be fun.

Inkidu

I love the ending where you let the council die under the pretense of reserving your forces to combat the Sovereign. They die you put Anderson or Udina in charge of the Citadel.

I didn't actually feel evil for doing it.