About Pictures

Started by Naomi75, October 11, 2012, 11:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naomi75

Hi I am still in the approval process but wanted to participate in a general forum on the non rp boards. I saw that pictures were allowed but my understanding of how to post them is lacking. *rueful smile* I read that pictures should be uploaded to Elluki first? Gah the site is HUGE and I am trying to navigate it to understand it better while I wait! Ok so I rambled....

My question is: Can I post a picture on a forum that's public while I am still being considered for acceptance? Strictly G rated picture mind you. Thanks!

Naomi R O8)

Avis habilis

Afraid not. Unapproved members can't use the wiki, so you wouldn't be able to post the image.

Naomi75

Ok thank you for answering my question I'll just post my response without images! *smiles*

Tamhansen

ehm iirc, unaproved members can use hyperlinks though.

I never got the whole put on elluiki thing anyways.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Autumn Sativus

Images hosted on other servers can be changed to show something they didn't originally (ie; illegal) and the original websites can be compromised, leading to pages on Elliqiuiy being blocked by security features because of the link to the compromised website. Keeping your images within the E server prevents that.

Other image hosting sites are okay though it was clarified, photobucket, imageshack, etc.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Avis habilis

Quote from: Trieste on July 29, 2012, 01:24:48 PM
We have had more than one thread recently kick up virus warnings for our members, and the culprits have without exception been images. Therefore, we must ask for the sanity of the staff and the safety of our members' computers that any images that our members choose to display on Elliquiy be uploaded to the wiki before being added to any Elliquiy threads.

We will not be requiring this retroactively (unless a particular link brings up a virus warning) but we will be asking you to do so going forward. If you're not sure how to do this, there is a rather helpful tutorial here.

Edit by Vekseid: Any image hotlinking can cause this, if the target site gets compromised. So jpegs and pngs can also trigger the 'elliquiy.com includes content from hackedsite.com which is known...' warning.

Tamhansen

ah ok. Well I use my own secure server to host the images, as I figured that'd save Vekseid some space. Is that okay? Or do I ask him?
ons and offs

Tamhansen

Oh. So no then. Shame though cause I use a Loooooot of pictures
ons and offs

Oreo

The wiki has virtually unlimited space, so there is no problem with overloading it.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Tamhansen

meh, it's more the migrating of several dozen pictures I'm worried about. But que sera sera
ons and offs