The Empress's Own (historical, culture clash, all welcome)

Started by IrishWolf, January 08, 2015, 06:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salvation

Appearance: Standing at 5'4 in height, she is a study in fitness from the slim and muscled frame hidden beneath the folds of rather plain garments, while still being unmistakeably female from breasts to hips as nature's shaping of the curves will reveal upon a closer examination.  She dresses in the attire best suited to fighting in the traditional --   Her hair is the only vanity that Chiyo keeps in some length, though the natural 'blue' black strands are usually worn in a tight braid close to the scalp or in some tidy up do to keep the strands out the way.   With eyes of an unusual shade of grey, she shows much of the 'water' in her soul, or so Chiyo's grandmother once said.

A lesson gone wrong contributed to a scar over and under Chiyo's left eye, and though it was just a long thin line by the time she grew up, the mark remained as a strike against her beauty, if such was to be said of her, and a reminder about what could happen should she ever falter.

Weapons:  Naginata (Japanese pole-arm, A pair of Kaiken (daggers), Bow and arrows, Tanto (Knife).  Though she does possess a possess and is trained in its use, it will be used mainly in applicable situations, Sayuri prefers to use the naginata, due to the blade's length and advantages to her frame and stature. The shorter blades of the dagger and knife also allow for concealment.  Sharpened hairpins (This seems to be a favorite among the women here, and rightfully so!)
Extra Gear: Shamisen (at times), bed roll and such camping supplies, usually on her horse, a rolled up parchment with a certain picture on it, kimono as needed,  Dō-maru armor,  black horse.

History:  Any story starts with its beginning, and in the minds of those that live, they are constantly writing their own tale.

The second daughter of a second son, Chiyo did not have expectations of having to marry right away as did some of her other family. Still, she was expected to know the duties to skills of her social class as required to see to home and family as the future could allow for.

Her father, while he was not the eldest son, committed to succeeding in what he did know, which had turned out to be fighting.  So, he trained others to fight.    Her father, a warrior, taught others his craft and skill, and in this, Chiyo aided him.  She was instructed in horseback riding, hunting, and fishing, and ate with men rather than with her mother, sister, and other women of the household.  While her mother did insist that Chiyo learn what must be done by women from taking care of the family, she often skipped out where it could be managed to train with her weapons. 

With the loss of his eldest son to battle, Chiyo's father became even more obsessed with preparing his remaining children for combat and the future.  In this, his second daughter committed herself to his cause, vowing to make him proud. When the opportunity arose to join this new endeavor of the Empress', despite some qualms from her family, she was sent by her father to join up.

Hobby - She has learned to play the shamisen from one of her older sisters, and shows some musical affinity.  She finds this past time to be relaxing.

---

This was the character from before though I may go in and rework some of the minor details.

Salvation

Quote from: Question Mark on January 09, 2015, 11:09:14 PM

Whoa, sorry I missed your post Salvation.  I hope you can make it work!

No problem at all. There are a lot of posts in this, and I tend to be a bit more quiet in responses. ;)

Donnie Yen is yummy, though I like Gackt too...mmm.

As for 'pretty' Asian men, I enjoy them too as well as more rugged looking men. I admit that my standards probably match what the Japanese find attractive in men, which can be more a bit more 'pretty' and androgynous in some cases.  Being Japanese, though, in RL could provide some reason for that. =P I was tempted to perhaps do a male character as I have role played those plenty in the past, but I never did get to do much with Chiyo last time.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Merah on January 11, 2015, 01:18:30 AM
We really need someone to play a strong Sergeant Major... my character is good to be a primary trainer, but he's not the type to actually run the whole program.

An Araki male retainer in the Regiment might help balance things \as well. I'd run one, but I'm thinking there'd be too much of him and my colour sergeant together. Maybe I'll play the ambassador? Someone in the court as well as someone in the field sounds like a good mix.

Ambassador Dupont is up there in years, since I play his daughter.

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Merah

Yeah, I'm not thinking of him as a full-time character, just that it might be helpful to have someone designated to handle him.

SweetSerenade

Me and Irish usually play him, actually. :D Don't worry about Ambassador Dupont, we got him handled.

I think I need to settled down and get caught up on all of my other stuff, then work on profiles for MY group game... then I'll hop over here and work on a male Arakian profile... probably a younger son of lesser nobility.

Lustful Bride

Hmm...due to my character being more of a frontline fighter and such I guess her position in this mission would be helping to teach the men how to properly handle their rifles, right?

Possibly even fighting alongside them because, well what else is a mercenary for?  :-)

Juggtacular

So many cool characters. Takahashi won't be lacking company this time around. 8-)

Merah

Quote from: SweetSerenade on January 11, 2015, 12:50:41 PM
Me and Irish usually play him, actually. :D Don't worry about Ambassador Dupont, we got him handled.

I think I need to settled down and get caught up on all of my other stuff, then work on profiles for MY group game... then I'll hop over here and work on a male Arakian profile... probably a younger son of lesser nobility.

Hey, sounds good. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. ;)

Now, if I understand this right, the noble Arakian characters are generally going to be very capable warriors and will likely not have any problem with courage or discipline... so I guess when we talk about the regiment getting almost routed in its first battle, that means that the retainers will, in contrast, be extremely inexperienced and more difficult to train?

I assume we'll have the officers (Meresse and Vesalier at this point) training the nobles (Takahashi, Akane, and Chiyo so far) in tactics, command, and strategy, while the NCOs (Bugeaud and Sanchez atm) train the actual rank and file (the hundreds of retainers) in formations, marching, discipline, etc. Of course weapons training would be something the NCOs would train all of the Arakians in, even the nobles.

Does all that sound about right? Just trying to figure out how we're going to structure scenes at the training camp.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Scribbles on January 09, 2015, 11:50:59 PM
I suddenly have the urge to create the perfect man for Aurora, meet Adelard Bellarose!

He'll woo ALL with his magnificent moustache and a single sexy wiggle of his bushy eyebrows!

My god! what a Manly moustache!

I cant believe I didn't notice it before X3

Im fine being an NCO and such btw.  ;D

Merah

I was thinking the Mission might offer Sanchez a corporal's position or something, being as how the more trainers they have the faster it'll go. And then she'll have plenty of time to hang out with Bugeaud, her old war buddy!

A thought though... maybe she's been stranded in Araki long enough to have picked up enough of the language to double as a translator?

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Merah on January 11, 2015, 02:41:24 PM
I was thinking the Mission might offer Sanchez a corporal's position or something, being as how the more trainers they have the faster it'll go. And then she'll have plenty of time to hang out with Bugeaud, her old war buddy!

A thought though... maybe she's been stranded in Araki long enough to have picked up enough of the language to double as a translator?

hmm I think her language skill will be rather broken, not full sentences but enough that she can sort of be understood.

Not sure about her rank *shrug*

SweetSerenade

Given the prejudiced that the males in the Military Mission have, towards female fighters, I doubt any female will ever get any substantial rank without pulling several strings and a lot of teeth...

The last game it took the Ambassador yelling at the Head Honcho - to get him to realize that the female Arakian Warriors WERE important...

Remember, this is a game with not only a cultural and social clash - but a sexist equality clash as well.

Merah

Lustful Bride

Quote from: SweetSerenade on January 11, 2015, 03:05:01 PM
Given the prejudiced that the males in the Military Mission have, towards female fighters, I doubt any female will ever get any substantial rank without pulling several strings and a lot of teeth...

The last game it took the Ambassador yelling at the Head Honcho - to get him to realize that the female Arakian Warriors WERE important...

Remember, this is a game with not only a cultural and social clash - but a sexist equality clash as well.

I know that's what makes this fun. Nothing worth effort is ever easy.  :-)

Itl be interesting to see how things play out.

Im fine with Ada not having any real rank and mostly being an instructor, until the ambush that is.  ::)

SweetSerenade

It's gonna be fun watching these fights happen, and people trying to establish their positions :D
Aurora is actually training to be a fully functioning Translator, so that should be beyond fun at some parts. But she also intends to learn everything about Arakian culture she can.

THe last game her and ... a certain >.> *eyes the character in question* Male... had an unspoken battle between them... mostly their views on certain things. XD

Lustful Bride

Quote from: SweetSerenade on January 11, 2015, 03:22:32 PM
It's gonna be fun watching these fights happen, and people trying to establish their positions :D
Aurora is actually training to be a fully functioning Translator, so that should be beyond fun at some parts. But she also intends to learn everything about Arakian culture she can.

THe last game her and ... a certain >.> *eyes the character in question* Male... had an unspoken battle between them... mostly their views on certain things. XD

Considering her age and....lack of certain fighting skills, I might just have Ada look our for her should danger ever come.
Yay Aurora gets a new big sister.  ;D (if that's okay with you.)  :-)

SweetSerenade

We will have to see how they interact. She isn't completely without skills, she knows how to use a bow and kknife - for hunting. After she lost her ability to produce children (From the childhood accident) her indulgent father basically let her enter scholarly pursuits for anything she was interested in.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: SweetSerenade on January 11, 2015, 03:30:46 PM
We will have to see how they interact. She isn't completely without skills, she knows how to use a bow and kknife - for hunting. After she lost her ability to produce children (From the childhood accident) her indulgent father basically let her enter scholarly pursuits for anything she was interested in.

Makes sense. We will see how interactions go first.  :-)

Question Mark

Quote from: SweetSerenade on January 11, 2015, 03:22:32 PM

*whistles innocently*

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 11, 2015, 03:32:30 PM
Makes sense. We will see how interactions go first.  :-)

Just like the first go-round, I'm chomping at the bit to get at this game!

SweetSerenade

Still wish I had a pretty boy to chase XD Hopefully we get more arakians male and female... I knoow I will make a guy eventually

Izaya Orihara

Hmm...
I've been looking at this for a day or two now, though I haven't got a proper app yet, I may make one soon.

And perhaps of relevance to the above post, my character will probably look like this:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

One could perhaps say that blue eyes and that hair colour are due to some Ainu ancestry or something.In this setting, it would be an equivalent to that, I suppose.
Well, if I had to give a reason for my actions, I guess it's because I love people. I guess I wanted to see the faces that mankind has to offer.

SweetSerenade

O.O...... *wiggles*

That's pretty cool... scuse me... *hides*

Question Mark

IrishWolf

I can see it now, there is going to be a "Your a man?!" moment.

SweetSerenade

LOL, Aurora may have to question her sexuality for a bit XP ... Though I don't mind some experimentation... She seem's like the type...