News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Ancient Curse

Started by Lady Jenn, September 27, 2015, 04:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkleather

Geoff rolled his eyes forgetting he was wearing reflective shades

"Of course not.  He's barely told me anything"

Lady Jenn

"Before it happened the world of the mystical and the human realm were separated," Mariza replied. "There would be the occasional meetings but they were largely unseen. But then, at some point a millennia and a half ago, a human stumbled across an ancient book, written by a Persian who had conversed with the fae, and believed the fabled World Tree held the key to giving humanity true power. He raised an army of all the darkest creatures of the world and three them against the world tree. The forces of light, together with the few humans who knew the truth, stood against the army but when it became clear the Tree would fall the fae leader, my own grandmother, made the choice to destroy the World Tree."

"Which is why there are artefacts called Fragments of the World Tree," Lehmann said as he re-entered the room. "The amount of power held within that tree made it impossible to destroy the tree outright."

Darkleather

"So how was all this done without anyone noticing?  I mean, I know that things were fairly primitive in..."

..Geoff did some quick mental calcuations

"..the 500s, but surely someone would have noticed?"

Lady Jenn

"My kind were given a choice,"  Mariza said, wincing as Lehmann applied medicine to her wound. "They either protected the mortal world from the truth of what happened at the World Tree and gave up their right to hidden places within the world. Or they continued their hidden place within the world but exposed humanity to the full horror of what existed out there waiting for their moments of weakness."

Darkleather

"So, basically since then the fae have been protecting the mortals from the knowledge of what happened?

But why? Surely the truth cannot be that bad.  And if you told us, we could help"

Lady Jenn

"Because humanity isn't ready," Mariza replied. "My kind had long suspected it before the World Tree died, that battle merely confirmed our suspicion."

"SPAIA wasn't founded because someone in government wanted a new set of agents to boss around," Lehmann said as he finished the dressing. "There was what SPAIA now class as an Omega-1 level event back in the 1950s, to put it into lay terms a man who believed he had found a way to resurrect his dead lover, but came within moments of summoning a demon in the middle of downtown Manhattan."

"I am not saying humans are incapable of controlling and understanding the supernatural world," Mariza said. "But my kind have had millennia to learn how to use our powers, do you honestly believe if your kind discovered the truth that it would be used for purely innocent reasons?"

Darkleather

"Well of course not - but surely at least we would be prepared and able to defend ourselves.

And....can you say that all of your kind are just as innocent?  I suspect if they were, SPAIA wouldn't be needed."

Lady Jenn

"You've gotta admit he has a point," Lehmann said with a grin. "I've run into members of your race who had...less than honourable intentions."

"You truly believe your kind is ready?" she asked, locking Geoff's gaze to hers with a stern gaze. "Do you want to know the dark secrets my kin have hidden from your species for all these millennia? I can show you easily, but once you have seen it you may not be able to unsee it."

Darkleather

Geoff returned her gaze with a wry smile

"Honestly? I have no idea.  What I know is this - unless you give people a chance you will never know.  Treating people like children to protect them might be the most expedient way of dealing with something - but you can justify doing that forever"

Lady Jenn

"This is not treating humans like children," Mariza said, clenching her fist and gripping Lehmann's wrist tightly enough, without realizing it, that Lehmann let out a yelp. "We gave humans a chance once before, the World Tree fell because we trusted your ancestors with the secrets of the Hidden Realms and they saw it as something to boast of. Even SPAIA themselves have barely seen the tip of the iceberg of the darkness that surrounds your world."

"Mariza, calm down," Lehmann said, turning her head to face him. "Geoff meant no insult, go and calm down and we can talk more after." He turned to face Geoff. "I thought she looked familiar and then the necklace she is wearing made me realise who she was. Her family were the guardians of the world tree, her grandfather died when a French knight who was supposed to be aiding him betrayed him in an effort to help the forces of darkness win. Her family have an extra distrust of humans, do not give her a reason to believe she should turn on us as well."

Darkleather

"oops.  OK guess I went too far there.  And, to be honest, I believe that the public doesn't need to know everything.  But keeping something this big a secret.. wow that's risky"

Lady Jenn

"I wish I could tell everyone," Mariza said as she re-entered the room, noticeably calmer. "I am sorry I snapped, it is not your fault what happened, I just experience human emotions so rarely I have never really had to handle them.  I came here because I need your help, but you must be prepared for the fact things will get...well, the word weird would not even begin to cover it."

Darkleather

"I'm sorry as well - this is a lot to learn all of a sudden."

Geoff desperately tried to choke down a smart-mouthed comment about the irony of her needing help from the people that she was hiding information from and instead studied the room they were stood in

Lady Jenn

"What help could you possibly need?" Lehmann asked, giving her a puzzled look. "You told me they don't have the book, how much danger could they possibly pose?"

"That is difficult to explain," she replied. "At least, difficult here. What do you say to a visit to the legendary troll market of New York?"

Darkleather

"The what?  are you winding me up now?"

Lady Jenn

"You don't know me very well if you think I'm winding you up," Mariza replied with a laugh.

"It's real," Lehmann said. "Or at least I'm guessing so, I'd heard talk of it but never been there myself."

Darkleather

Geoff shook his head slowly

"The New York Troll Market?  Will I be able to pick up my wand and owl there?"

Lady Jenn

"I don't need to ask if he's SPAIA do I?" Mariza asked Lehmann, raising an eyebrow. "I should be flattered he thinks your story books represent what magic is really like."

"If I go down to make sure the car is alright can I rely on you two to behave yourselves?" Lehmann asked, looking between them with a grin on his face.

Darkleather

Geoff rolled his eyes and thought to himself how ironic it was that she could read his mind and still not understand sarcasm

"Probably not.  Maybe I should go down with you.  After all, I wouldn't want to offend her with my lack of understanding of magic"

Without waiting for a response, Geoff left the room and headed for the lift

Lady Jenn

"I was trying to set you up," Geoff said with a laugh. "You hang around fairies long enough you realise they're really bad at hiding their emotions, I think she's either embarrassed or hoping you're better at reading her signals than she is yours."

When they exited the hotel they found Mariza was already waiting for them by the car.

"There's more than one way out of this hotel you know," Mariza said, sighing. "Or were you just hoping to make a getaway while I wasn't watching?"

Darkleather

"Set me up?  With HER?  Wow did you read that one wrong."

Geoff fumed quietly as the lift headed downstairs and when they stepped outside the building he rolled his eyes as he saw the waiting fae.

"Dear Lord, no, why on earth would we want to do that?  After all we were having such fun."

Lady Jenn

"If you two don't make up I'm going to find the deepest vault in SPAIA headquarters and lock you in there until you stop bickering," Lehmann said, trying to keep a straight face. "You're making me feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of little kids."

"I'm sorry," Mariza said sheepishly, avoiding looking at Geoff. "Would offering you a shortcut make for a more effective apology?"

"Considering there's no way we can travel to New York quickly shortcuts would be more than welcome."

Darkleather

"Sorry, I forgot my supply of Flue....."

Geoff cut himself off and mimed locking his lips shut

He smiled in what he hoped what was a winning way at Mariza,

Remembering an old film he started imagining a wall in his mind

Lady Jenn

"Take my hand," Mariza said to Geoff, blushing slightly. "I mean, that's the only way the spell will work."

""I've set the car to return to base," Lehmann said as he took Mariza's other hand. "Let's just hope no-one's paying enough attention to wonder how we suddenly disappeared."

Darkleather

Geoff took Mariza's hand

"I don't think anyone will notice - this is Vegas.  They'll just think it's a show."

Geoff grinned mischievously, closed his eyes and started muttering "There's no place like home! There's no place like home!"