Avatar Book 9: Post-Apocalyptic Roleplay (Interest Check, Extreme, Freeform)

Started by Deathnote, November 21, 2013, 05:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deathnote

MAJOR SPOILERS UP AHEAD!!!

After taking a look at some of the other Avatar games on this forum, I've been thinking about what sort of setting would work great with Avatar.  Considering that the series is called Avatar, I've decided that that should remain the central premise.  The next question I asked myself was, how do I make it so that one character does not totally eclipse everyone else by getting to play the Avatar?  The answer to that is... nobody knows who the current Avatar actually is.  Finally, how do I make the Avatar important to the plot?  Well... some sort of major event would have to take place in which the Avatar would be needed to restore balance.  For "Avatar: The Last Airbender", the major event would be the Fire Nation going around attacking and invading everyone else.  For "The Legend of Korra", it would be Amon and the Equalists... along with the return of Vatu.

So... here's the idea I came up with:

Everyone believed that the threat of Vatu was over, that he would not reappear for another 10,000 years.  Nobody could have foreseen what the creation of the Dark Avatar really meant.  Just like how Raava and the light could never be completely destroyed, Vatu and the darkness will never truly be gone.  Three days after Harmonic Convergence, the Dark Avatar was reborn as an Earth Bender.  Nobody knew about this until a 16 year old suddenly displayed the ability to bend both Water and Earth, gaining the moniker "Double Bender".  The young teenager was the child of an Earth Bender and a Water Bender, so at first it was assumed that this was the true reason for the abnormality.  This immediately caught the media's attention and it wasn't long before everyone started figuring out how this was possible.  Many people assumed that the Dark Avatar is evil or will become evil.  To everyone's surprise, the first and foremost to defend the Double Bender was Korra, who took the child under her wing.  Of course, not everyone agreed with Korra and years later, a small group of extremists hatched an assassination plot.  This triggered the Double Bender's Avatar state, which in turn unleashed Vatu back onto the world.  Left with no other choice, Korra once again defeated and purified Vatu, which unfortunately also destroyed the Double Bender in the process.

When the Dark Avatar was reborn once more as a Fire Bender, steps were taken to ensure that identity of the Dark Avatar remained a secret from the public.  There were discussions held about whether or not the Fire Bender's bending should be taken away.  At least one person suggested outright killing the child and saving themselves the trouble.  In the end, the Dark Avatar was spared from both fates, but for the most part had essentially become a prisoner whose movements and activities were strictly monitored.  Several years later, the Dark Avatar escaped and went into hiding for decades, only to resurface with an army of loyal followers and dark spirits.  The first thing they did was take over a nuclear power plant.  Gathering up her own army in response, Korra met the Dark Avatar in battle.  This led to a global-scale war that resulted in major disasters after major disasters, made only possible by the mixture of spirits and technology.  The battle between the two Avatars contributed the most to the eventual fallout that followed, especially when Vatu started using Nuclear Energy to fuel his own power.  In the end, both Avatars perished, leaving behind a world that has been thrown back into the Dark Ages.

Due to the scattered state of the world's population, nobody knew how to identify the new Avatars short of seeing someone bend more than one element, which may not even happen at all.  Perhaps it was for the best, since there were many people who blamed them for the fallout.  For the several years that followed, small feudal factions started popping up.  One of them, the Air Acolytes still hold out hope for the eventual return of the Avatar and continued their search.  Another major faction led by a tyrannical leader will attempt to search for both Avatars to kill them, so as to prevent another major disaster from happening again.

The setting will take place approximately 80 years after The Legend of Korra's season 2 finale.  This will be a Post-Apocalyptic setting, so think Fallout, Revolution, or even Trigun... except with spirits and bending.  Since both Korra and the Dark Avatar died 20 years ago, all Avatar and Dark Avatar prospects will have to be around 20 years old and have at least one Earth Bending parent.  For now, no one will be able to bend more than one element with the assumption that neither Avatar will be as talented as Korra (who could bend three elements when she was a toddler... for some reason).  Of course, if you're okay with not being one of the Avatars, you can be whatever age you want (though all characters be at least 16 as per the site's rules).  Also, enough time has passed that, by my calculations, all Air Benders will at least be third cousins.

If this concept interests you at all, just leave a reply in this thread or shoot me a PM if that's more to your tastes.

Right now, I'm just checking to see if anyone else would be interested in this idea.  Also, it's been years since I last GMed a game (all of which didn't last for every long), so if anyone would be interested in helping me out, that' would be awesome.  ^_^

Tydorei

Seems interesting. And ever since Vatu and Rava were revealed, I been hoping for a second 'avatar'. Though I generally don't think they would nesecerily be a 'Dark' one. Ang and Korra never seem to be influenced by Rava, just can access her power. Of course, I suspect that is due to them being the 100 and 101 avatars. Earlier avatars may of been able to converse with the spirit?

But yeah... I'll throw something together.

Deathnote

Well, there's the difference between Vatu and Raava.  Even when Raava started talking to Korra, she pretty much remained in a passive role as a sort of power-up for her host.  Vatu, on the other hand, outright took over Unalaq's body during the final boss battle.  I guess it's all up to the spirits?  For the purposes of this game, the second 'Avatar' will not be controlled by Vatu 24/7, only when he/she is in the Avatar State.

Rogue

Curious about this. Consider my interest piqued and if my muse decides to cooperate, I should be able to crank out a bender. If you want to limit the number of players to each element, I'll be able to write any kind of bender. :)

Deathnote

Yeah, I'm not going to limit the number of players to each element... except for maybe Air, but even then that would only be if we get more than five of them at once.

Btw, either of you know anyone else who might be interested in this?

Rogue

Not off the top of my head. Most of mine avoid big games. >.<

((Btw, if you don't mind, I won't be able to get a character sheet until bare minimum sunday... Black friday and all that jazz.))

Deathnote

That's alright.  So far only you and Tydorei have expressed any interest in this game, so take as much time as you need.