~Wind in Our Sails~

Started by TheSamm, August 20, 2017, 12:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSamm

OOC: Nah I can totally work with this and it's actually a clever move lol

"Whoa, okay!" Emile said, dropping her back onto her feet. He jumped away and pulled out his short sword;  against a skilled swordsman he might have just run at that point, but he wasn't about to lose his hostage and his sword. His friends stopped in their tracks, perplexed by the situation that was unfolding in front of them.

"The fuck is going on?" Duncan asked.

"Wait, wait a minute, I think Emile bought us a woman." Niall replied, looking Adelaide over. "I didn't know you liked 'em feisty mate, but you probably should have picked a friendlier one."

Allegra suckerpunched his arm, eliciting a shout and a dirty look.

"Don't let her run!" Emile warned them. "She's worth money, and a lot of it. She's how we're getting out of this harbor before the navy catches up to us."

"A hostage?" Allegra asked. "Who the hell is she?"

"She's the duke's daughter." Emile explained. "I knew of her family from before. I knew I had recognized her."

"Well I don't see how I'm gonna be much help." Duncan complained. "Me hands're burned and they hurt like a--"

"Then take a cue from Ivan and just watch." Allegra said, shoving him off her arm. Like a lioness on the hunt, she waited for Adelaide to make a run for it.
INFJ

MissHotCoco

Adelaide was thrown back down just as she had hoped. Still holding the sword he had shown her earlier, she held it in front of her, pointing it directly at him again. The others ran up and she took a defensive position. She had been right, it seemed that these lot were some sort of pirates or something. Eyeing all of them, she listened. So he had recognized her. He must've seen her birthmark or maybe her accent wasn't as good as Eleina had told her it was.

She did want to run. Her home was quite the distance now and she didn't know if she could outrun all of them. It took her seconds to realize her options. The wanted a hostage. She didn't want to go home. It was perfect. Maybe if she went willingly they could train her how to really use this sword. If Emile advanced on her now that she didn't have the tip in his spinal cord, she would easily be disarmed. The only reason she knew this defensive position was the light training her brother had given her. Defend and then run. He wouldn't allow her to wield a real sword.

"He's right." She said through gritted teeth, her eyes going to each of the crew. Then she stood up straight, still holding the sword with a good grip. "I'm Adelaide VonDaemon and I want to go with you, but not as a hostage. I'll help you with the money if you train me as one of you." She hoped she sounded confident, but she had a feeling they now knew she couldn't use the weapon in her hand. She was outnumbered. They could easily overtake her now and just throw her in the bottom of the ship. She hoped they'd see the ease of this offer, to have her comply.

A/A updated. Please read! Sorry lovies!

TheSamm

"What?" Emile said incredulously, a skeptical look on his face. "Train you? A noblewoman? This isn't a lads' school; I'm no teacher! If you sail with us, you need to already know the sword--we don't just let anybody in here!"

Allegra rolled her eyes, and Niall and Duncan laughed. Ivan, as usual, merely watched.

"Ey, if nothing else she's nice to look at." Niall suggested.

Emile stopped and realized how foolish he had been. He didn't need to teach her to fight. All he had to do was swear to and Adelaide would skip happily up the ramp onto the ship. Once they were back on the water, resistance would no longer be an option. It was almost like he'd forgotten how to lie.

"Okay, you know what? Fine." Emile announced, shaking his head. "Help us get a ransom and we'll teach you how to fight. It can't be that hard, can it?" He looked to Allegra for support. She nodded unenthusiastically, a tight, dubious smile on her face.
INFJ

MissHotCoco

Adelaide watched Emile closely. She didn't know if he was telling the truth, but she wasn't going to find out. "No." She held the sword in her hand a bit higher in more of a taunting manner. "You train me first and I can get more money out of my family than you need."

She didn't know if they knew about her most recent engagement because it had just happened, but she knew that her new fiance was loaded. If she turned up missing, she was sure that he'd pay a very very large price to have her back. Her title was worth more than some of this money. The guy was getting better with his business so it wouldn't be long before he made it all back.

She watched Emile, clearly the leader of the group, for his reaction. It made her blood boil that he didn't want to train her at first. Her face was serious and her chin stuck out in that pompous ways nobles did when they were exerting their 'power'.

TheSamm

Again, Emile lost his composure.

"What? No!" He argued. "This ship will not sail without money! And we're in a bit of a hurry. I can't teach you how to fight in an evening, that sort of thing takes months even to get a grasp. You'd have to be on this ship for years."

"Why would you even want to do that?" Allegra asked. "There's no tea parties on this old ship. Your dresses won't hold up against wind and salt, and learning how to fight seems a little silly when you're rich enough for body guards. You will spend more time hungry or cold than not on this ship. Who would choose such a life?"
INFJ

MissHotCoco

Adelaide's brow furrowed in frustration. These people were acting as pompous as some nobles she's met. They were putting her in a box of expectations. The same box she wanted to escape from.

She looked to Allegra and pondered her question. "Would you be up for an arranged marriage to someone who only wants you for your title and to make children?" She asked angrily. "I am done living a life where I'm told what to do and when to do it. I'd rather be cold and hungry." She looked back at Emile. "I'm not expecting to be an expert before I go back. I just need to start learning."

TheSamm

Allegra shrugged; it was a fair point. She had also been raised in a family that had tried to shove her into a box where she did not fit. Her masculine appearance had precluded her from marrying at all.

"Okay, you know what? Fine." Emile said, throwing his arms up in frustration. "I'll show you whatever you want, just get on the damned ship, or we'll take you anyway. You can't fight all of us, even with my sword."

"Ya best walk yourself, madame." Niall said. "Otherwise I'd love an opportunity to get a handful of you." Allegra shoved him by the shoulder, nearly throwing him to the ground.
INFJ

MissHotCoco

Adelaide's breath caught for a moment. This was it. Her life was changing from this moment forward. She was entrusting her life to these strangers and hoping for the best. "Thank you." She said letting out the breath and then holding the sword out for him to take it. Then she looked over at Niall and gave her a flirty smile, one she was taught at lessons to only give her betrothed, once he stood back up. "Okay, I may still need a bit of manhandling." She gave him a wink and waited for a reaction. She seemed to still be in her other persona, the one she wished was her everyday one, where she could do whatever she wanted, which was flirt with anyone, take up a sword, and wear her hair and clothes the way she wanted.

TheSamm

Niall laughed like an animal in response, and even Duncan was giggling.

"You hear that?" He turned to Allegra. "I think she likes me." He raised a hand to punch her back, but a stern grimace from Allegra made him stay his hand. "'Ey, at least that's one less sourpu--" She smacked the back of his head, not allowing him to finish his response.

"I can lift you over my head, Niall." She warned him. "Care to go for a swim?"

"Great, glad the negotiation's over." Emile shrugged, defeated. This was happening, and there was no changing it. He had to admit, his initial idea to kidnap Adelaide had been wild, but this--this was more wild than he could have imagined. He wondered if he believed that she could really get them the money, and he really worried about how he was going to explain all of this to the captain. The old man was likely still up into the night, but this would not be welcome news. They were going to need to depart very quickly, which meant that the next morning would be spent wrangling their remaining members and convincing them that they had a profitable venture and then downplaying the risks. It also meant suddenly acquiring a very high profile and risking a bounty. Emile sheathed his short sword and held out his hand expectantly. "Now please return my sword and let's get on this ship before we gather witnesses and people start asking questions. You're going to need to keep a low profile until we can get off the ground tomorrow."

INFJ

MissHotCoco

Adelaide grinned proudly seeing he'd made the man laugh. Then he and the woman... Well the woman gave him more blows to the body to make him behave. She then turned to Niall, still grinning but that faultered a bit as she saw how mad he still was about everything. Her brow furrowed again and she practically shoved the sword into his arms before stalling up the ramp to board the ship first. It was beginning to get more real to her now, though she suspected that it wouldn't feel real to her until they were making way the next morning. She would do anything to get the captain to say yes to this plan, though she still though that Niall was the leader.

TheSamm

Emile and company followed Adelaide aboard the Bevrijder. Niall took Duncan straight below to help him take care of his burns, leaving Emile and Allegra on the deck to deal with Adelaide.

"You watch her," Emile said, "I'll get the captain."

"And if she changes her mind?" Allegra asked, leaning against the mast with her arms folded. Emile shrugged.

"Then throw her in the brig," he replied, "but watch your sword."

Allegra shrugged, watching him ascend the steps to the captain's quarters. Emile knocked hard on the door a few times. The widows in were filthy and impossible to see through, but Emile thought he had detected a little bit of light. He was about to strike the door again when he heard the flick of a latch. The door scraped away from the frame and an old, bearded man emerged. It was Captain Christoffel Emerens. His hair was white and gray, thin and wispy, and he had a slight hunch in his posture. His eyes had gone from brown to gray in his old age. Indeed, he was one of the oldest men Emile knew.

"What's going on?" The old man asked, concerned. It was rare that anybody bothered him at this hour.

"We have company." Emile said. "A hostage, actually."

"Shit, Emile," the old man cursed, "and who is it, the Queen of England?"

"Relax, she came willingly." Emile said, amending, "Well, sort of. I'll explain later, but we need to get off the ground tomorrow morning."

"It can't be done." The old Dutchman argued.  "We've hardly got a skeleton crew left, and the Bevrijder won't sail."

"Yes, but if we get a good ransom she'll make it out of Yarmouth and we can go make repairs in Spain."

"You want to sail into Spanish water on top of that? Look, Emile, you're a good lad," he pushed the door to his cabin wide and pointed to the ceiling behind him; Emile, flabbergasted, observed a noose and a rickety old stool beside the bed, "but I'm already planning my funeral. This is how I plan to retire. And I want you to sink this ship with me on it and run off. Join somebody else's crew, because I quit."

"What?" Emile replied in a panic, "you can't hang yourself, not now! Look, I'll give you whatever kind of funeral service you want when you go, but not like this. We have a ransom to collect. After that, I'll even kick the stool for you."
INFJ

MissHotCoco

Adelaide got a proud feeling in her chest when Emile had told Allegra to watch her sword. She hoped that encounter taught him to never underestimate a noblewoman. She then looked to Allegra with a confused face since Emile had already gone off to walk up to the captains quarters. "Captain? He's not in charge here?" She was fuming. This man was giving her orders and he wasn't even in charge? "I'm going to have a chat with the captain too." She said and hurried after Emile.

She almost tripped up the steps, but managed to keep her balance. Then she listened in on the conversation. She got there as the captain was saying they couldn't leave by tomorrow morning. This conversation was not going well at all. She decided to reveal herself after Emile's personal funeral help offer. Her head was held high and she put on her noble face, even as she saw the noose and stool behind them. "Good Evening, Captain." She said coolly, in full royalty mode. "My name is Adelaide VonDaemon and I have a business proposition for you."

TheSamm

Allegra had watched Adelaide go. Well, she supposed, she didn't need to watch her if she was happy to paw after Emile. She went belowdecks to her quarters to unwind. Niall and Duncan were palling around in the kitchens, now that Duncan was all cleaned up. Allegra wondered who would be manning the pot and kettle if the cook didn't return in the morning.

Emile whipped around and saw Adelaide standing in the doorway of the cabin. Christoffel's wet, gray eyes widened and he laughed.

"Where'd you get that one?" He asked, eyeing her lascivious get-up, "She's a pretty face, but how do you plan to ransom a prostitute?"

"Adjust your eyes, you old bat!" Emile said, appalled. "She's a bloody Duchess! Duchess VonDaemon, you half-wit!"

"Pardon my manners, miss." Captain Emerens said, tipping his raggedy old hat to her.

"Focus!" Emile said, grabbing his shoulders. "If you want to sail again, then you need to take this seriously! We are limited on time."

"Fine, fine, all right." The captain said, shoving Emile off. He sat down on the old stool. "Very well. I'll hear you, madame, but I won't make no promises. Speak your piece."
INFJ

MissHotCoco

Adelaide's confidence faltered when he sized her up. She'd completely forgotten what she was wearing and it was a bit ruffled up from being picked up and manhandled by Emile. Nevertheless, she couldn't let this bargain pass her because she looked like a common prostitute. Her stance quickly returned to that of a noblewoman.

"Thank you, Captain." She stepped into the room and shut the door behind her. A power move to prove she wasn't afraid to be in the room with the two men. "As I said, I am Adelaide VonDaemon. My father is Duke VonDaemon and as of earlier today, I am set to be betrothed to Ronald Birkley, the next in line to become Marquess and also a very wealthy suitor." Anyone who knew English royalty knew the VonDaemons and the Birkleys. They've been big names in royalty for centuries, though never sitting on the thrones themselves.

She placed her hands behind her back as she walked over to a small window and looked out of the dingy thing. "I am willing to help you get a random for my head in exchange for training. I'd like to start while we await the reply of my family. I want to know how to wield a sword." She then turned to the two with a serious look. "Then I want to join your ship before you leave, bringing stolen valuables to help pay for anything we need."

TheSamm

Captain Emerens watched her, tight-lipped, and began nodding slightly. Emile looked expectantly at him.

"Well?" He asked finally.

"I think she's looney." Christoffel replied. Emile braced himself to argue, but the old captain went on, "Which is fortunate for us, because the only way a noblewoman would come aboard this blighted ship is if she's got a few screws loose. Ye've got yourself a deal lass. Emile here'll teach you."

"Me?" Emile argued. "I'm busy. Can't Allegra do it?"

"Allegra is going to go round up the crew. Those who are still in town, anyhow." The old man got up and pat him on the shoulder on his way out. "You brought her in here; you babysit her. Get to it." He nodded politely to Adelaide as he left the cabin. Emile sighed in defeat and shrugged.

"All right, I guess that settles that." He said. "So here it is. Before we shove off tomorrow, we need to send a letter to your family naming our terms and demands. Then we'll set sail and hide out on the open ocean. After a few days, we'll send a small boat with some of our men to negotiate, and if that goes south, then... We flee."
INFJ

MissHotCoco

Adelaide was glad the captain agreed. She let out a breath she didn't know she was holding when he agreed. It didn't even bother her that he called her looney. She knew that leaving the life that so many royal girls dreamed of was foolish in many of their eyes. It was a life she didn't want though and they could have it. She wasn't going to be forced to marry anyone. This was the only way she saw going in her favor. Train up and then when it came to it, she could defend herself against anyone trying to force her to do anything ever again.

Emile sighed and then started to speak to her once the captain left. She rolled her eyes at him. "I highly doubt they wouldn't agree to the terms. I'm the only daughter of the Duke and Birkleys want my father's title should my brothers die before providing an heir." She watched Emile curiously now. "I get that this isn't what you want to be doing, but neither is going to look for another captain to sail under. You'll get your money, one way or another." She promised him. There was determination in her eyes. She did not want to go back to that life if she could help it. She was going to do everything in her power to train hard.

TheSamm

Emile slept very little that night. He was excited, but also anxious.  If this plan didn't work, it would almost certainly mean death. Even if they got as far as collecting the ransom, if the navy caught up with them before then they'd never make it to another shore. The Bevrijder wouldn't survive further wounds.

The next morning he was up early. He visited the captain's quarters, but Christoffel wasn't there. The noose was still hanging, much to Emile's discomfort. He found Christoffel at the bottom of the ramp, ushering men and women sailors aboard. Allegra walked up with another small platoon of raggedy fellows. Niall and Duncan were playing five finger fillet on the docks, betting coins.

"What're you doing here?" Captain Emerens asked. "Go wake up your sleeping beauty and get to it. We need her signature on the ransom letter. Don't let her write nothin' else, though; we don't need her writing in code, in case it's a trap."

"On it." Emile said, heading back belowdecks. With her subpar acting abilities and strange eagerness to come aboard this ghost ship, Emile doubted she was plotting anything that elaborate. He believed her when she said she didn't want to go back. It wasn't really that uncommon for nobles, though more rarely women, to leave their luxury lifestyles behind just to escape the restrictive environment of the upper class. The situation was certainly more dire for a woman though; the harder you were to marry off, the less likely she would enjoy the marriage. The lifestyle had suited Emile though, and he would have been happy to swap places with her if he had ever been given the opportunity.

He strolled down to her quarters and knocked hard a few times on the door, "Rise and shine miss. Time to get to work."
INFJ

MissHotCoco

Adelaide didn't sleep well that night, but it wasn't because she was uncomfortable being out of her normal luxurious bed. She was nervous for the days to come. It was actually happening. She was going to help them get a ransom, go home, get more gold and then come back. Whether they kept her on board for long after that wasn't the biggest deal, as long as they got her away from here again.

When Emile came to wake her up, she got up quickly and answered the door. She glared at him, looking him up and down. "I don't need to be called Miss anymore." She looked up into his eyes again. "Do I get the pleasure of knowing your real name? Sir Nicholas?" His fake name was said with a tad bit of venom in it.

TheSamm

"What's in a name?" Emile asked. "You can have my name when I've got your respect. Until then, you may simply call me Nick if that suits you. Now... You definitely need something to wear other than this..." He gestured at her clothing.

"Maybe Allegra...? No, she's far too large. Actually, you and I aren't so discrepant in size. You can wear some of mine until we can get you your own wardrobe, next time we make port." If we make port, he thought to himself. Even with Adelaide's cooperation, there was a whole lot that could go awry. "And as for a sword, you can use Niall's. He always forgets it in his cabin anyhow. Follow me, let's get you changed."

Emile dreaded playing teacher, and dreaded even more so the prospect of having to having to babysit her after this ransom deal was done. He wondered if there was any way to trick her and try to really hand her back over to her family, but immediately he felt a little guilty and perished the thought. Maybe he could just try to let her go at the next port--again, if they ever made it.
INFJ

MissHotCoco

Adelaide couldn't glare harder at the man in front of her. Could he be more annoying to her? She suspected this was their ways and she'd just have to get used to it. Learn how they work and handle things so she could be able to live and survive among them. It still didn't help that the man in front of her was irritating her to no end. He didn't want anything to do with her except use her for money. Take, take, take, with no give. She thought to herself and hoped she didn't have to be like that to survive.

She waited silently as he decided whose clothes would best work for her. It was true, her skirt and top wouldn't do well to keep wearing around these men while she looked like a common brothel girl. Plus they wouldn't work for learning to fight in at all. "Yes, sir." She said with a sarcastic salute and then followed him. If he was going to get on her nerves, she might as well strive to get on his as well.

TheSamm

Emile led Adelaide back to his cabin. It was sparsely furnished, with nothing but a worn-down bed that held a few thin sheets and a chair with one leg that didn't match. There was also an old chest at the foot of the bed that held all of his belongings. Most of it was clothing, and he had costumes--or disguises--for just about every occasion, but some of it could be considered treasure, too. There were some trinkets he had received from prior conquests, each one with a story he loved to tell behind it. At the very bottom, there was a smaller, locked box that held his more personal effects. For this box there was only one key, and Emile kept it on his person at all times. He pushed past all of those things and withdrew some pants, a shirt, and a belt. The belt was a tad too long, so he had to improvise and poke a few holes in it with a nail before it would fit Adelaide.

"This should do." Emile said, handing her what he'd picked out. "It's the best we've got right now, anyhow. If you don't like it, you can try some of the other things in the chest, but try to pick something comfortable. You can get changed here, just meet me on deck when you're ready to start." Emile turned to leave.

((I left the description of the clothes a little vague so you can describe them however you want. I didn't want to dictate exactly what your character was going to be wearing, lol.))
INFJ

MissHotCoco

Adelaide didn't say another word as she followed him to his cabin. She noticed how simple it looked, like he could easily pack his trunk and run in a seconds notice. It would be another thing to get used to. Places that weren't decorated in order to be called a home. From paintings and other forms of art on the walls to barely anything. She took the clothes from him and nodded, still not saying anything to him.

When she finished dressing, which took a minute to figure out how she liked to make it look. The short sleeve black shirt was almost like a single cloth dress on her and the black pants were baggy. She decided to tuck the shirt into the pants and then fasten the belt around her hips. Then she had to roll up the pants and hope they stayed that way. She didn't feel like tripping over them. Once she was satisfied, she exited his cabin and went to find him on the deck as planned.