An Education in Darkness - A Star Wars group RP (still looking for students)

Started by Barding, December 28, 2008, 08:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insanitosis

Gah, I am having trouble with my student, I am trying to avoid making him too cliche, and failing, my master however is turning out rather well.

Barding

Quote from: Insanitosis on January 02, 2009, 03:18:57 PM
Gah, I am having trouble with my student, I am trying to avoid making him too cliche, and failing, my master however is turning out rather well.

I could try help with de-clicheing him. I'd like to say I pride myself on creating vaguely original characters but, well, that might sound vain. As I'm the GM though, it's my job to give what help needs giving.

In the meantime, I think we could still do with a few more students.
:: O/Os ::
Updated 09/08/2021

:: Cravings ::
Updated 20/09/2021

:: Accepting new stories only in very special cases. ::

Barding

Some more students or support staff would be lovely. Please, if you know residents of E who may be interested and aren't yet in on the fun, do contact them and tell them a little about this game. I'm trying to balance the genders a little more. :)

In the meantime, we have had some lovely character concepts recently. Do keep 'em coming!
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

Insanitosis

Hehehe, I am still stuck, I can send you the information I guess, hold on

Barding

We're still looking for more students (or 'service' characters - droids, slaves and the like), preferably females. In other words, genders need balancing just a little more.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

Will

*cracks up*  Possibly, yes.  And some teachers that know Alter.  I'm thinking about playing a student, too, just to even things out.  Maybe make her a straight female. :P
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Barding

By all means, Will, playing multiple characters is highly uncouraged and, well, uhm, sorry to say it Karma, but you're right there. It sounds quite sad but we really could do with some more straight females. Not to put the wrap on not-quite-so-straight females but, while they're entirely welcome, some straight female characters would be great as well...Oh, and more players = win.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

Elohim

Barding

Quote from: Seraph on January 05, 2009, 12:57:54 PM
*Blinks*  Don't listen boys are icky!  *hides*

*grins* I know, what with being one, at least slightly reluctantly, I'm aware that the female sex is far superior, etc. etc. You don't have to rub it in overly much though ;)
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

The American Patriot

is there room for one more player? i'd like to try a darksider for a change. :)
"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

Story of the Accident... https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29000.0

Barding

There might be. There's always room for more. However, we're looking, mostly, for straight, or bisexual female characters at the moment. A good option might be to check the game out once it's started and see if you might still wanna do it. However, if you really want you could always just join up now ;D
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

The American Patriot

I would love too.. I just don't play females unfortuantely. I'm just not that good at it. :( but i do play good male force users though. :)

this will represent Torie-EL until i can get a new drawing done of him

Name: Torie-EL
Sex: Male
Race: Human
Apparent Age: Late-20s.
Actual Age: mid-to-late 30s
Teacher, student or other: Teacher

Basic Concept: Torie-EL is a man driven by a desire to learn everything he can about the force, both light and dark.

Sexuality: Hetrosexual

Description:
   Hair: Black hair, with a trimed and neat Goa-tee
   Eyes: Ice Blue
   Face: Thin and angular
   Body Type: Fit
   Skin Tone: Pale
   Voice: A soft tenor
   Other: Has a nasty lightsabre dueling scar across his face.

Dislikes: Stupidity and incompetence.
Desires: Companionship and affection.
Habits: Spends alot of time studying and researching the mysteries of the force.
Insecurities: That he will remain alone and consumed by dispair. This his fear of being known as 'Darth Dyspare.'
Deadly Sin: Extravagance / lust

luxuria (extravagance, later lust) / chastity
gula (gluttony) / temperance
avaritia (greed) / charity
acedia (sloth) /  diligence
ira (wrath) / patience
invidia (envy) / kindness
superbia (pride) / humility

Character Background:

Brief Synopsis of Personality: Torie-EL is a man of great passions, and an undying desire to expand his knowledge of the mysteries of the Force. To this end he has become a teacher for aspiring Sith. He is despirate to find a companion whom would travel with him while searching for the mysteries of the force.

The Force (Ranking of Masteries)
   1st: Sense
   2nd: Alter
   3rd: Control

Lightsaber: Yes
   Type: A single bladed curved-Hilt lightsabre
   Colour: Orange
   Style in which the saber is wielded: Form II (Makashi "Way of the Ysalamir" or "Contention Form")

Form I: Shii-Cho "Way of the Sarlacc" or "Determination Form"
Form II: Makashi "Way of the Ysalamir" or "Contention Form"
Form III: Soresu "Way of the Mynock" or "Resilience Form"
Form IV: Ataru "Way of the Hawk-Bat" or "Aggression Form"
Form V: Shien / Djem So "Way of the Krayt Dragon" or "Perseverance Form"
Form VI: Niman "Way of the Rancor" or "Moderation Form"
Form VII: Juyo / Vaapad "Way of the Vornskr" or "Ferocity Form"
"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

Story of the Accident... https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29000.0

Insanitosis

Quote from: Will1984 on January 05, 2009, 12:51:25 PM
*cracks up*  Possibly, yes.  And some teachers that know Alter. 
My teacher is a sith lord with a focus on alter

And we do need straight females...

Will

If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Insanitosis

Yeah, he almost embodies it, my student is technically the opposite.

StarkDublin

I am interested in joining but, I regret to inform you im not that knowledgable of the SW, I have only seen the movies, and am not sure about the BBY? or ABY? era's but I do want to playa student if you are still accepting.
It takes armies to control the world...And one man to make it all fall...Am I that man...

Ons and Offs

Vandren

I've just come back, so I'm still feeling out what time I have to devote to a game, but this sounds interesting.

As far as concepts go, one I've been tossing around is an Echani (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Echani) Jensaarai (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jensaarai) sent to study Sith teachings at the academy.  I'm thinking, if the above is acceptable, that he'd probably be interested in the more martial aspects--martial arts and Sith alchemy (such as Sith swords, Sith armor, and the like).  Probably very interested in lightsaber resistant materials, eschewing the lightsaber in favor of cortosis, ultrachrome, or even possibly Mandalorian iron weaponry, even though he'll carry a saber since it's a rite of passage thing.  :)

Just some ideas that've been floating around my head today.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Idej

A good era that might be fun would to have the academy set before the Sith-Imperial War, when Darth Krayt was forming his own Sith Order.  That would be interesting as Krayt's Order has been arond in secret for quite some time on Korriban.  That is if you wanted to create a massive Sith Order on Korrban during the New Jedi Order/ Legacy of the Force times.

Well, Darth Krayt is dead now.  Just got done reading Leagacy #31/ Vector Part 12.  Quite interesting, but I wasn't expecting Krayt to kick the bucket soon.

Sorry for hijacking the thread

Barding

Quote from: Idej on January 07, 2009, 01:11:01 PM
A good era that might be fun would to have the academy set before the Sith-Imperial War, when Darth Krayt was forming his own Sith Order.  That would be interesting as Krayt's Order has been arond in secret for quite some time on Korriban.  That is if you wanted to create a massive Sith Order on Korrban during the New Jedi Order/ Legacy of the Force times.

Well, Darth Krayt is dead now.  Just got done reading Leagacy #31/ Vector Part 12.  Quite interesting, but I wasn't expecting Krayt to kick the bucket soon.

Sorry for hijacking the thread

*grins* Don't worry, new life is normally welcome. I mean, I would've loved to play this as close to the Imperial/Rebellion era as possible and, as this would be a fairly small, most likely underground organisation, it probably could've been played anywhere during the Empire's glory days and during its fall. Still, I can see the attraction inherent in using an era generally uncovered by canon.

As far as I know, however, we're using a pre-Old-Republic era before the rule of two came into place, probably during the original Sith Wars as a historical setting for this game.

In the meantime, *gets back to designing academy student uniforms*
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

Aiden

So it took me a while to think up of a good concept (showing intrest a few post back) is the game not looking for male students at this time? If so I'll just store the concept for another day.

My concept is based around sloth... ;D

So many people picked pride, I also had a concept for wrath...but then I don't think Id be able to find a masochist who would want to be brought to the brink of death...and possibly past that whenever they had an encounter... >.>

Silk

Name: Shala
Sex:Female
Race:Twilek
Apparent Age: 25
Actual Age:(no idea about twilek)
Teacher, student or other: Slave

Basic Concept: Ex- Rogue trader and is now forced into slavery by the sith, acts willing but her will is unbroken, but she isn't dumb enough to resist.

Sexuality: Doesn't really have a choice in the matter

Description

Voice: Experienced but subtle
   Other: (for example, distinguishing marks or more alien additions)

Dislikes: Authority
Desires: To be free
Habits:
Insecurities:
Deadly Sin: Pride
Character Background: Originally a Rogue trader that used to deliver supplies to the academy, she was never caught and was allways able to talk her way out of a situation. But one time, when there was a disagreement about payment the Sith did not give her a chance to talk, knocking her out and putting her into slavery, now she bides her time until a chance to escape arises.

Brief Synopsis of Personality: Very prideful of her work, she has never been able to get along with the law, unless necessary, her skill at her job did leave her with a bit of a ego but also a awareness for danger. She does everything she is told while she is in slavery, knowing resisting will only cause more trouble then help, she has promised herself to remain strong and to break out when she can.

Barding

Right! Uhm, well...

@ Aiden: The game is still looking for students of all types, it's just that, were you to play a male student, you wouldn't be guaranteed quite as much attention as you might deserve. However, you are still very welcome to join, as long as you accept that small premise. :) Good to have you on board.

@ Silk: It's also lovely to have you! It's nice to see one of my potential recruits answered my PM :) It's also nice to see the human monopoly on characters being broken. I think this game needs more aliens of various kinds. Uhm, oh, and not to mention more male-accepting female characters. Oh, and anyone else who wants to create a 'sub'-type service character of some kind, whether they be a pet, an official slave, a servant, a medic or a droid is welcome. There may also be room for more 'dom'-type service characters, probably in the form of monsters created through Sith Alchemical experiments and mutations. So, ur, if anyone wants to moonlight as a tentacle monster, now is probably your chance.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

Barding

ANNOUNCEMENT

Right! I think now may be the time to start, or, at least, get ready to start and tell you all about the format I had planned for the game.

The 'An Education in Darkness' game will be composed of a selection of threads, whether they be one-on-ones, small groups or large, whole cast things. It will not, unlike most games, be one thread with a definite beginning and a definite end. Instead, as, I hope, it will be a large and immersive thing, each encounter between characters will have its own thread, or something close to it. The 'An Education in Darkness' game part will simply be something to imply that your thread is taking place in the Star Wars setting that contains this Sith Academy, whether the action be taking place inside the academy or not, and that the action taking place inside your thread will be contributing to the sandbox, character driven plot that this game really is all about.

I apologise if this is confusing. I'll try to enlighten you all with some examples.

Say, the game would start with a meeting between all of the students and all of the teachers (and the companions of both), pretty much declaring that a new season of apprenticeship and dark teachings has officially begun. The events taking place at this event would all be placed in a single thread, most likely named something close to 'An Education in Darkness - and so it begins' or 'An Education in Darkness - Act. 1, scene 1', if you want to be a bit less original and possibly more confusing when there are more games going on.

Say two students are dispatched on a mission together and become involved in some kind of relationship as they do so. A thread telling the story of this relationship would be necessary and would have its own title, preceded by the 'An Education in Darkness' tag, if you will.

The reason behind this particular style of gaming is so we will have something of a fluid time-frame going on in the game, so if one person drops out we won't all wait around for ages for them to post or something. One person's post-rate will not influence those of all others in the game, either for faster or slower. Also, this particular style of play will allow players to leave and join as they see fit.

If this game is successful then we will, most likely, be able to earn our own sub-board to keep all of these threads together.

I hope you understand this general format? In short, each isolated encounter would have its own thread and each major or minor but definite plotline between characters will have its own thread. All of these threads will, hopefully, come together to form a character-driven overview-like plot and weave a soap-opera-like story with a cast of many.

You may start your own threads, of course, all I ask is that you inform me and link me to the threads so that I, as GM, can oversee them (and help with setting and NPCs if you ask?) and keep all the links to all the threads together in an appropriate 'home' thread.

For now, that's all I have to say about the game format. If any of you have any comments and constructive criticism, do voice them. The current system is a bit of a work in progress, I'll admit. Thanks go to Karmatrik for acting as a sounding board for these ideas :)
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

We may have enough posts to go big by the time it's an issue, but there's the rule that we can only have as many threads as twice our members, so we have to keep that in mind.