The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Inkidu, January 11, 2011, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on November 11, 2011, 05:44:35 PM
Nightblade.

I'm torn. On the one hand, I have been consistently underwhelmed by Elder Scrolls games that I've played (which is, admittedly, a very short list consisting only of Morrowind and Oblivion). On the other, Skyrim's leveling system, particularly the perks/talents you can periodically pick up to enhance the things you're doing, sounds like a significant improvement over the previous series entries, which is saying a lot considering I'd sum up the leveling system of Morrowind and Oblivion with the word "boring." Unfortunately the NPC behavior seems unchanged from what I've seen in gameplay reviews, which is a pretty hefty turn-off.

Probably going to do the same thing I did with Oblivion: wait for Skyrim (and its inevitable DLC additions) to go on a crazy-ass bundle sale for like 75% off in a year or so and pick it up then. Who knows, maybe I'll even have a machine that can run it by then.
The leveling is so good I forgot it was there, and actually rose two levels before I leveled up.

Yeah, you know the NPC are a bit dated, but at this point I kind of consider it an Elder Scrolls staple. If that doesn't cut it, I'm willing to cut them some slack for the sheer amount of the NPCs in the game.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

Okay, okay, stationary and stocky voice acting/character animation I can forgive if they're less buggy/obnoxious this time around. Are the game's quests and conversations and, most importantly, law-enforcement mechanics working properly this time around, or do you still get people running in fear of you for no apparent reason after a conversation and guards that want to empty your entire inventory because they saw you steal one cake and so on?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Hemingway

Yeah, the giant thing ... I was going to say: anyone who worries that enemies in this game won't challenge you, that you'll never encounter anything that's out of your league ... hah, wishful thinking.

I had to do some troll-slaying earlier, and when I finally managed, I felt like such a champion.

And that was before things got really bad. I ran into one of those fire-breathing, winged things earlier. I decided to get out of there.

Shjade

Quote from: Hemingway on November 11, 2011, 09:23:25 PM
And that was before things got really bad. I ran into one of those fire-breathing, winged things earlier. I decided to get out of there.

There are mothers-in-law in this game? Damn.

Edit: Sigh...I am a fool. Friend recommendation and Escapist review have pulled me into getting Skyrim earlier than my prudent side said I should. Here's hoping it runs.
◕/◕'s

Tsenta

It seems to run fine with newer systems. Old blocky 360's and PS3s seem to have a few graphical/loading issues but I'm thinking the devs will release a patch for those huge issues within the next few weeks.   Seeing a lot of people bitch about all the glitches/bugs without realizing the game JUST came out. >_<
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Cold Heritage

So far, apart from giants, things have been tough on occasion but doable. As long as I don't get three people surrounding me and wailing on me, most of the time I'm okay. But giants just one shot me. I haven't been launched into outer space yet. I just seem to get within melee range, one raises its club, and then my guy is crumpling like a rag doll. It's not exactly what I would call a challenge.

I had a bit of a problem today. A couple times the game would just kick me to desktop. But it was really super clean.

Also, I think people do realize the game just came out. They also probably realize it's a game by Bethesda, which doesn't have a rep for releasing super stable, non-buggy product.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cold Heritage on November 12, 2011, 01:29:08 AM
So far, apart from giants, things have been tough on occasion but doable. As long as I don't get three people surrounding me and wailing on me, most of the time I'm okay. But giants just one shot me. I haven't been launched into outer space yet. I just seem to get within melee range, one raises its club, and then my guy is crumpling like a rag doll. It's not exactly what I would call a challenge.

I had a bit of a problem today. A couple times the game would just kick me to desktop. But it was really super clean.

Also, I think people do realize the game just came out. They also probably realize it's a game by Bethesda, which doesn't have a rep for releasing super stable, non-buggy product.

Oh trust me.. he was swing underhand at me. I was due for a moon shot. It was.. just so DAMN high.. and I mean it's was like literally 2 minutes outside the city you face your 2nd dragon encounter in. (In fact I was walking BACK from that fight)

bandit

Just had to pop in and say what a fan boy this game is making me. First Morrowind sucked away my social life, then Oblivion...now Skyrim lol
the smiling bandit strikes again! haHahA

Read the deeper side of bandit here! Or just his o/o's here.

This hardcore ghetto gangster image takes a lot of practice.

Hemingway

I have just one problem with this game.

... my character. The sheer number of options available to me, ugh...

Shjade

Quote from: Hemingway on November 12, 2011, 07:43:14 AM
I have just one problem with this game.

... my character. The sheer number of options available to me, ugh...

That's the sort of problem I love to have. Character customization and world exploration are my favorite parts of RPG's, thus my love of MMO's.

Edit: Skyrim will now detect your video hardware and set video options accordingly.

Video settings have been set for Jesus Is This Even A Computer What The Hell Man.

;.;
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on November 12, 2011, 07:57:54 AM
That's the sort of problem I love to have. Character customization and world exploration are my favorite parts of RPG's, thus my love of MMO's.

Edit: Skyrim will now detect your video hardware and set video options accordingly.

Video settings have been set for Jesus Is This Even A Computer What The Hell Man.

;.;
Essentially why I got it for Xbox. Also the fact it came with the cloth map, which is spread out across my gaming table.

I am thinking about starting over though. Way too many options. I just had to have everything. Well, it's either start over or spend years in the wilderness perfecting my skills...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Well, I've decided to stick with my Nord, specializing in two-handed weapons ( axes ), blacksmithing, blocking and heavy armor. Yeah, I'm that kind of guy.

I think my second character will be a Dunmer, also a warrior but with Destruction on the side. Because I love Dunmer. And they made them look flipping awesome in this game. In Morrowind they had sort of the same thing going, then Oblivion came and made them look comical. Here they just look ugly and badass.

Cold Heritage

Anyone join the Companions? I really dig them.

I started to use a greatsword, since I ended up with one that equaled the damage of my two-handed hammer and it weighed less. The critical damage animations are really nice. I love it when my guy stabs someone through the midsection, lifts them up, shakes the sword a little bit, and then drops them. My guy also sometimes does decapitations, and since it removes the head from the body, I really dig it.

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 12, 2011, 01:33:04 AM
Oh trust me.. he was swing underhand at me. I was due for a moon shot. It was.. just so DAMN high.. and I mean it's was like literally 2 minutes outside the city you face your 2nd dragon encounter in. (In fact I was walking BACK from that fight)

Oh I don't doubt you guys. I guess I just got lucky.

Hemingway

The Companions are pretty cool. Spoiler for the Companion trial:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The name of the guy you're with on the first real assignment is not coincidental. "Farkas" is Hungarian for "wolf". Not that I saw it coming.

I had to confess something, too. I had to use fast-travel. I've been staying away from it for a long, long time, but ... dammit, I was out on an island, in a blizzard, at night ... and I really hate swimming in this game. In any TES game. And why really hate I mean it scares the crap out of me. I avoid even small ponds.

Inkidu

Don't worry. I have a rule when it comes to fast traveling. If it's within a days walk from your current location it's totally legit. That's just a convenient time skip to not let things lull over. Besides now they have carriages which are a perfectly role play friendly version of fast travel, because you have to pay for them. :]

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Inkidu on November 12, 2011, 06:40:40 PM
Don't worry. I have a rule when it comes to fast traveling. If it's within a days walk from your current location it's totally legit. That's just a convenient time skip to not let things lull over. Besides now they have carriages which are a perfectly role play friendly version of fast travel, because you have to pay for them. :]

I'm still bummed I lost my horse. I found him.. just standing there by this dead bandit as I walked away from the opening scene. He (the bandit) was dead and there was nothing around but a horse.. I mean.. come on.. .should I PAY for it? :D

Hemingway

I've only fast traveled that once, and I've been playing it for a good 16 hours. The thing that makes it tolerable is the detail level of the environments. Also, it does help you discover those locations you wouldn't find otherwise. Daedric shrines, Dwemer ruins ...

So far, the only bad thing I have to say about the game is that the dragon fights themselves are .. I won't say bad, because the way the dragons act, the animations and the whole feeling of fighting dragons, that's great. But killing them is just so ... straight-forward. With melee weapons, there seems to be only one valid strategy. That's sort of disappointing. Oh, and some villagers were just standing about while I was fighting one, too. That was sort of silly.

Those are some fairly trivial complaints, though. Everything else is just spot on.

No, wait. There is one more thing. But it's a more personal thing. A lot of the names are Scandinavian-like, as you'd expect. But even though they look like it, they don't pronounce them as their appearance would lead me to expect. Oh, and some of the accents are just ... spot on Norwegian English accents. I detest that accent! I guess I can't fault them for getting it right, but ... argh!

Nadir

I found a really weird bug when I was hunting mammoths - I was running away from one and ducked behind a tree, and the mammoth just kept running right at me until it hit the tree. As soon as it touched it, it flew into the sky, and took 30 seconds to come back down, then died from the fall damage. Pretty awesome ^_^

Cold Heritage

Companions related spoilage:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I am not only a werewolf, but I have become the new Harbringer and wield Wuuthrad against my foes.

I've joined up with the legion. I might've given the Stormcloaks more consideration if they weren't so blatantly anti-milk. Milk is delicious, so screw them for using milk-drinker as a pejorative. :|

meikle

I want to say that my character is totes awesome.

My ability focuses are One-Handed Weapons, Light Armor, Smithing, Enchanting, Sneaking, in that order.  I just tear everything apart with my two axes, Asgunnr and Ashildr.

Everything.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Samael

Sucked into the game!
I started to play an Archer/Sneaker with light armor, and ... I die, a lot.
This game doesn't really appreciate your desire to snipe people from far away.
When they find you, the reload times pretty much kill you, and if you have companions along, they regularly run into the way.
That said, IF you get shots off without someone seeing you, you can often one/two shot enemies (the ancient zombies, mostly.)

What skill would I need to level to make better bows, anyone knows?
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Tsenta

You can always get archery to 100 and take that perk that makes bows 100% stronger. Then there's a sneak perk that makes bow sneak-attacks do 3X.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

meikle

Quote from: Samael on November 13, 2011, 03:19:28 AM
What skill would I need to level to make better bows, anyone knows?
Smithing covers all of the weapons and armor you can craft.  You'll need the proper perk to get the most mileage out of whatever kind of bow you're using.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Jacqueline

mannik

Quote from: Elenwe on November 13, 2011, 05:04:15 AM
Look at what I found!

How to steal in Skyrim

Hehehe....I would have never even thought to try that.

And in case anyone cares, my build is a deadly Khajiit assassin who stalks the night slaying any who happen to annoy him slightly. And his name is Mr. Boots.

Mostly sneaking (like at 80 now), Bow (up to 56 I think), One handed (49), Light armor (40 something) and crafting and enchanting just for shits and giggles...so far haven't really needed to use my lock picking much so its still pretty low.

I admit, I kinda cheated a little to get my sneak so high...I figured out how sneak xp works. You gain xp for sneak while moving around enemies undetected, for successful sneak attacks, or if enemies are looking for you but can't find you. So what I did was find me a nice dark corner behind a rock or something in a room with like three or four people in it. Shoot an arrow at the far wall (or someone's face) to get their attention, then hide and wait for them to give up....rinse and repeat. You'll gain sneak levels faster than you'd think.

And here's a nice little math formula for those of you having trouble with giants...
The sneak perk to bring daggers up to 15x sneak attack damage + the dark brotherhood gloves = 30x damage!

Sneak up and take out their Achilles tendon and down they go!