SOPA/PIPA officially on ice. Let's hope that's where they stay >:

Started by Sabby, January 20, 2012, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on March 07, 2012, 02:04:19 AM
I wonder if it would be feasible for music download sites to funnel money directly to the artists.  I imagine that a price that would cover the supposed royalties (that the publishing companies aren't paying) would be far less than the price that publishing companies claim they need to charge (even though no physical media changes hands).

I think that is one of the reasons record execs hate the digital marketplace. They are a LOT more transparent in sales than they like. One of the really shady things they did with the Chanbers Brothers for example was to say their albums were never sold overseas by legal outlets, despite the band finding dozens of albums from Eurpoe with the record company's foreign branch label on them.

For decades record companies have been infamous for shady book keeping, I know there're have been at least two congress committee on it.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 07, 2012, 12:49:12 PM
I think that is one of the reasons record execs hate the digital marketplace. They are a LOT more transparent in sales than they like. One of the really shady things they did with the Chanbers Brothers for example was to say their albums were never sold overseas by legal outlets, despite the band finding dozens of albums from Eurpoe with the record company's foreign branch label on them.

For decades record companies have been infamous for shady book keeping, I know there're have been at least two congress committee on it.
The whole Napster pirate filesharing craze was during another of those investigations.  And the real threat to the RIAA is not piracy.  It's iTunes and similar services (like Amazon) not joe blow ripping CDs.  Instead of buying fifteen songs for eighteen bucks, maybe seven of which you really want, you can now pick and choose which songs you want for $0.99 to $1.29 a song.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Cheka Man

SOPA and PIPA are like the Undead-you think you've killed it but the bones are putting themselves again behind your back. And I-Tunes are great...legal music. My CDs, even the few where I like all the songs on them, tend to get scratched within weeks and unuseable within months.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cheka Man on March 17, 2012, 09:53:18 PM
SOPA and PIPA are like the Undead-you think you've killed it but the bones are putting themselves again behind your back. And I-Tunes are great...legal music. My CDs, even the few where I like all the songs on them, tend to get scratched within weeks and unuseable within months.

I'm curious to see how the 'cloud storage' events change their outlook. The idea of folks NEVER having to rebuy has to have some of them screaming in their highrise apartments. I know I wore out like.. five copies of A Kind of Magic on tape and two CDs.. of course the day I got the all in one scanner to put them into MP3 the collection went in as fast as I could. The first bits were hard.. six hours to do a CD

Callie Del Noire

http://rt.com/usa/news/cispa-bill-sopa-internet-175/

And here comes the NEXT attempt. Cyber-security is a valid issue BUT the thing is congress is once again jumping the gun without considering the full implications of what they are legislating. The big problem is some of the language creates a 'cyber-security button' that bypasses any number of privacy laws. Without stating directly who has the authority or responsibility and with little or no oversight and/or accountability.

Personally, I think that the NSA needs to be split up, with a good leveling of the FBI cyber-security division spooned into a new cyber-security division and the rest remaining as an intelligence agency. A process, like with warrants and wiretaps, is needed as a 'burden' of proof is needed and some measure of accountability is needed. There are elements missing from current 'cyber-security' bills.

Cheka Man

This bill needs cremating since if it is buried it will dig it's way out of the grave once more.

ReijiTabibito

Oh, for the love...when are the 'people' (Mitt Romney's definition, not mine) going to wake up and realize that, to paraphrase a battle cry:

"We're here, we're freer, get used to us!"

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cheka Man on April 04, 2012, 01:56:05 PM
This bill needs cremating since if it is buried it will dig it's way out of the grave once more.

This isn't SOPA/PIPA 2.0 but Cyber-Security bills with similar 'blindspots' that can damage the way the internet works. Congress is really good at listening to folks without balancing out what the people 'advising' them want against what it will do to everyone else.

ReijiTabibito

It didn't say much about the progress of the bill, but I'm hoping that at least this time around, there won't be the mass blockage of internet experts that there was with SOPA.  Part of me says that a lot of the outrage over that bill was the fact that Congress hadn't even bothered to consult the experts, when, to my knowledge, I couldn't trust John Boehner to tell me the difference between RAM and ROM.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on April 04, 2012, 02:10:59 PM
It didn't say much about the progress of the bill, but I'm hoping that at least this time around, there won't be the mass blockage of internet experts that there was with SOPA.  Part of me says that a lot of the outrage over that bill was the fact that Congress hadn't even bothered to consult the experts, when, to my knowledge, I couldn't trust John Boehner to tell me the difference between RAM and ROM.

Oh they didn't block them in congress.. they referred to them as 'nerds' and 'geeks' and disregarded them as 'irrelevant' to the issues being addressed. Which they will do again this go around. Because the people paying for bills like this don't want a fair and balanced business marketplace.

ReijiTabibito

This reminds me of that one Daily Show clip where Jon Stewart was talking about Mitt Romney and his tax rate and money and so on...I think Jonno summed it up perfectly:

"So to clarify, the millions of dollars that Mitt Romney saves because of the aggressively lobbied 15% tax rate is legal and fair, and he's entitled to that from the government, no strings attached."

For those who are interested in the whole shebang, in the box below is a link to the relevant video.

Also of interest on that site is the Extended Interview with Elizabeth Warren, that same day, wherein she presents a startling thing: a number of companies now actually pay more in lobbying fees on Capitol Hill to keep taxes down than in taxes...

Envious

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/322396

Third time is charm? The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act.

Edit: Didn't see it was already posted. Mah bad.

rick957

Thought I would post here to ask about a current development that's related to net censorship in general. 

I read somewhere (actually right here) that there's an initiative afoot that sounds like it could kill bit-torrenting dead in mid-July, at least in the U.S.  I may be wrong about this, but last I heard, bit torrent was by far the most prevalent form of P2P filesharing, at least at this minute.  SOPA/PIPA were also about stopping filesharing, at least that's what I thought.

Anybody else heard of this?  Sound like hogwash to you, or does it concern you? 

Callie Del Noire

Appeal by arbitration?  I don't think I like that. I see no way to appeal this designated company just throwing people under the bus to make a quota, since I'm sure given the people involved they are most likely operating on bounties. IE more offenders more cash.

ShadowFox89

One nation, under censorship, with copyright and liberties for the MPAA and RIAA.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Tiberius

Its not going to stop them they'll just move their server to Canada and continue to operate, instead of hording their licenses sell them, its what prompts this, greedy companies not allowing people to view content and refusing to sell it. So then people give it out for free then they complain even though they aren't doing anything with it.

If more people used iTunes it would be that more people would buy them off iTunes, but companies aren't that smart.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tiberius on April 07, 2012, 09:31:51 PM
Its not going to stop them they'll just move their server to Canada and continue to operate, instead of hording their licenses sell them, its what prompts this, greedy companies not allowing people to view content and refusing to sell it. So then people give it out for free then they complain even though they aren't doing anything with it.

If more people used iTunes it would be that more people would buy them off iTunes, but companies aren't that smart.

My take, from what I've heard and read the lovely folks with RIAA and MPAA have said and written is that they want to be the SOLE arbiter of what is 'valid' access to their content. If they had their way, we'd have never had access to tape recorders, VCRs, DVRs, CD burners and anything else that could be construed as a recording tool. These same groups of companies SUED to have VCRs taken off the market in the early 80s.

It took an AMAZING amount of cash to accept that MP3 players were a tool for profit. If they had their way in the 90s.. my Rio player would have been taken off the market, yes.. these same organizations have tried REPEATEDLY to take things off the market that they don't understand. They were, to my disgust, successful in removing the dual tuner cards from the market.

Both the Motion Picture/TV studios and the Recording studios have cooked their books and played games with their numbers to keep from giving up a dime they didn't have to. The Writers strike was in part due to the fact they didn't want to share royalties on streaming video, internet sales and increase writer pay offs from 0.3% to 0.6% (a real budget breaker).

The big point is these groups aren't into innovation. They dislike it.. Hulu, YouTube, Netflix and iTunes have all had problems with them, mostly due to their insistence to get control of the prices to the point that they wanted. IE.. no decrease in price despite the elimination of many of the issues involved with record production or dvd burning. You see a bit of the same in the big publishing houses over Ebooks as well. Rupert Murdoch's Random House has gone further with their 'library lease' idea (You, the library can 'lend' an Ebook something like 20 times before you have to 'rebuy' it. They argue they aren't selling an ebook but rather they 'lease' them to libraries..at full price each time)

Big media isn't into innovation and doesn't want to change their market plan with the times. They would rather stick to tried and true methods of gouging and embezzling.

Tiberius

^^ and its very likely why they haven't done away with the ancient obselte and completly inaccurate Nielson ratings system because then they'd know the true worth of something and wouldn't be able to excuse cancelling a show because it didn't have ratings.

I have seen full series of shows on iTunes being sold there for as much as they cost on the disk itself, then you see things that can only be pirate downloaded because they refuse to sell them and would prefer that no-one saw them unless they wanted to put them on TV

Callie Del Noire

Or they are stuck on a contract agreement that they had with the writers or production studio involved with the tv show that they don't like. I've noticed studios will sit on stuff if they can till they can get a better (to them) deal. I know that there are a bunch of series that are sitting in place till the studios get something their way.

Tiberius

Yeah which is what prompts the piracy, people see it as just greed that they wont sell them and think it completly arrogant that they alone have the right to reject people from getting it when its already been on TV in the past.

It is the way with the internet these days that this stuff can happen they can't control it, and any laws designed to stop it fail because there is no real way to enforce it

Chris Brady

And we're surprised that similar legislature has cropped up???  That's the most shocking thing for me.

They will keep trying to shove it down our throats.  The RIAA and MPAA WILL keep lobbying to have it pass.  Until another threat to their profits comes along, they will keep trying.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ReijiTabibito

It's obvious that no one at the MPAA or RIAA have played Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.  Because if they did, then they might remember this little gem (also, strangely enough, from the corporate faction - the Morganites).

"Of course we'll bundle our MorganNet software with the new network nodes; our customers expect no less of us. We have never sought to become a monopoly. Our products are simply so good that no one feels the need to compete with us."

Tiberius

I only bought that game from GOG a few months ago, they make a lot of sense what they say, (only I don't play the Morganities they have a crippling handicap their cities don't go past 4 pop without the pop expansion building while some civs can go up to 8 without it)

This new bill will fail as well, it will either be vetoed or defeated, the only way to get filesharing ended in the US if they violate their privacy laws and make it legal to be autocratic in those kinds of things which in turn violates the very essence of the First Amendment

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tiberius on April 09, 2012, 09:30:32 PM
I only bought that game from GOG a few months ago, they make a lot of sense what they say, (only I don't play the Morganities they have a crippling handicap their cities don't go past 4 pop without the pop expansion building while some civs can go up to 8 without it)

This new bill will fail as well, it will either be vetoed or defeated, the only way to get filesharing ended in the US if they violate their privacy laws and make it legal to be autocratic in those kinds of things which in turn violates the very essence of the First Amendment

It will only be defeated as long as we remain vigalant and watch out for this sort of foolishness.

Cheka Man

The RIAA are like the 1890s cattle barons who thought every small rancher was a cattle rustler, pissed them oiff and then had cattle theft go up. There are of course genuine large scale music theives.....but treating everyone like them just annoys everyone and alienates people.