Original Setting Pathfinder (Light Exotic): Darkness Beneath the Boughs

Started by Verasaille, February 02, 2015, 09:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verasaille

All right, this is a whole new ballgame...

I have this world building thread and I am still trying to work out some history and background story for my world Tierra. I am doing this by using rp and the characters that are part of the world.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221640.0

I would like to focus on one area at a time and do some group play with a specific race and goal in mind. I will give a short introduction and ask for character sheets and willing participants in the group rp will fill out a sheet and give me a good representation of their writing skills.

I have certain parameters in this rp. I expect courtesy and respect not only for me(the GM), but for the others who are participating. If you sign up I will be expecting active participation. Not a one time post and disappear.

A post everyday is ideal, I would love you to death if you can commit to that. But I realize people have lives and I would be content with several posts per week. If you cannot do at least that much, please do not sign up.

Now I will sit back and wait to see how many brave souls I can manage to attract to this world. I expect you to check out the world building thread first and tell me which area interests you the most. I will know by the areas you mention if you have actually read it.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

eBadger

What system are you planning to use?  Which sort of area are you thinking of using as a setting?

As for posting, I'm not an every day guy but I can certainly do 3/week with a good structure to work with. 

Verasaille

It will be in my world I am building. I have a particular interest in developing the southern Bayou area, complete with Voodoo, rituals and maybe even some piracy on the southern sea.

But that is only one area. I need to see what areas are attracting people and what they would like to play in.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Garuss Vakarian

Oh, I think what he meant by what system, was if this will be free form or a system game? System as in, dice rolling and character classes. Will there be any of that? If so, I can make a few educated suggestions.

1: Don't use dnd 4th. Yes it is generaly easier to make characters and such. But it is to much of a miniatures war game for thread use.

2: I would glee fully suggest Pathfinder. It is a variation of 3.5. Id dare say it is dnd 3.awesome, 3rd edition done right.

3: If you want, you can try to use a d6 set up. Those are always the easiest to get into. Games like: A Game of Thrones the role playing game, or Shadow run are good examples of d6 play.

Verasaille

I am not good at those system games, unless I can find someone to help with it. I prefer a more open free form approach. Sorry If I missed that part of your question eBadger.

Basically it will be a quest I will have a group undertake for a certain leader in the area chosen. I will have obstacles, puzzles and challenges for you to overcome. As GM, I will have one character directly involved in the rp, and I will also have other npcs in the game I will be expecting to have die or imprisoned or something of that nature.

This is supposed to be a help for me to develop this world. I will be hosting future rps in the world and I am seeking to establish a solid base to encourage people to rp in it.

eBadger

*nods* System means what ruleset, or lack thereof.  I never like to assume. 

Bayou sounds interesting, but I avoid freeform games for stuff like this; too many bad experiences.  Thanks for the quick answers, though!

Verasaille

I have decided to use the Elven area of Aluvia for a group rp. I will be looking for Elves to fill in the various roles.

ALUVIA-LAND OF THE ELVES

The area covers a vast part of the Eastern Seaboard. There are four distinct elven varieties. The Blanqua, the Greneida, the Faela and the Perida. Each tribal unit claims a specific area, they seldom war and are often seen trading with each other without incident. They are barely tolerant of other races, and often chase them off their lands with deadly effects. They have a very highly developed society, full of artistry and song. As well as a potent military. Archery is favored by all the elves, but short blades and melee combat is also trained as well as siege weaponry. The few who delve into magic are unparalleled in skill. Mages are well versed in Elemental magic and Nature based spells. Emortalis is considered the High King of the Elves, his rule does not extend beyond the elven lands. All four of the elven main tribes pay him tribute and give him much respect.

From the Misted Peaks to the North that rise out of the sea come the legends of the White Elves. Skin as pale as alabaster, blue slanted eyes and short pointed ears, they are known as the Blanqua. Fine boned and short, there are none taller than four feet in height. As a people they are very reclusive. Living on the smaller game plentiful in the foothills of the Misted Peaks, and gathering berries in the summer to dry and use as seasoning the rest of the year. It is said they can create a mist with their magic and vanish into it like a ghost. They use bows made of willow and arrows tipped with the paralyzing poison of a thorn bush that grows in their woods. They trade with their neighbors to the south for the some foodstuffs and also for spirits like the elven brandy and wine.

The Greneida are the deep forest dwellers, building their beautiful shelters out of the trees and plants without killing them Their dwellings are living and growing constantly and the elves shape them with judicious pruning and song. The only wood that is burned is that of the dead trees that nature has given them for that reason. Sometimes this dead wood is cut into planks and made into furniture and shelves. Woodworking is a very prized part of their heritage and they do it to a fine art. Lacquers and stains made from natural things found in the forest are what make the elven woodworking so fine. Their forests are home to a wide variety of game including the deer, elk and moose. There are smaller animals as well, from skunks and weasels to raccoons and porcupines and beavers. Plenty of birds and a wide variety of cats and wolves. The Greneida pride themselves on living with nature in harmony. In appearance they are taller than most humans, standing at seven feet for the tallest males. They are slender and agile, and very fast. Hair coloring can range from a soft pale green to a vivid red in shades of flame. Their eyes are almost always green.

The smallest members of the Elven race are simply called Faela. There are so many in a wide variety of shapes and sizes that even the elves have given up trying to keep track of them except for a few die hard sages. Ranging in size from twelve inches tall to a full three feet tall, they are gifted with flight. Wings come in many colors and are good only for short distances. A Faela can only stay in the air continuously for about ten minutes. They can however flit about all day. If they are not constantly in the air, it might seem so. Hair is brightly colored often because it is dyed. A natural color would be white. Their eyes range from bright blue to a deep sapphire.

They migrate from the Northern foothills in the summer to the Dales in the winter. They are not a hardy race and are easily harmed by larger and faster predators. Because of this they multiplay rapidly and often have swarms where the play is raucaus and orgiastic. They eat berries and grains and rice, with some insects taking priority at certain times of the year. They also raise silkworms and harvest the silk to sell to the other races. The making of dyes and colored silk cloth is a favored past time.

The Pereida are the southern island dwellers. Making their homes on the rocky promontories out of stone and driftwood and sometimes the bones of sea monsters and whales. The are the shipbuilders and the most likely to trade and make friends with other races. Dark hair and brown or deep violet eyes are common. Their build is wiry and strong, standing at about the same average height as a human. Outgoing and friendly, they love to spin yarns and gamble. They can be passionate and fiery tempered as well.

They ply everything from sea going vessels to riverboats and lake fishing schooners. The love the water, being excellent swimmers and fisherfolk. There have been times when the Pereida were known to be pirates, before the Elf King signed the treaties with the humans to protect trade. There are still some who will try occasionally if they can get away with it.

Choose an elf from one of the four varieties and if you wish I can help you form a good character that will fit in this world. You can use the name generator on this site if you wish.

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=elfnamer

Or make up your own. Feel free to send me a PM listing what kind of elf you are interested in playing. There will be room in this rp for a human or two, but I prefer the humans be secondary characters to fill in the story.

Muse

Hi Vera-chan! 

I don't have time to finish reading up right now, but wanted you to know I'm interested if you'll have me. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Verasaille

This is the setting for the dungeon. The Faela have found an ancient artifact deep in the Forest of the Greneida. They are convinced it is evil and needs to be destroyed. But they cannot do it on their own, it is too large and powerful.

The rp will center around two Faela who are trying to guide a group of other elves to the current hiding place. It is a winding dangerous path through Forest that gets increasingly dangerous as they travel. The artifact is spawning vile creatures out of nightmare, it will threaten the very stability of the Elven lands if it is not destroyed. The creatures spawned are hideous and hard to vanquish. Magically created and set loose to kill any and all who oppose the Darkness of the Evil that lurks in the hidden Grotto of Yriven.

I wish to do this as a freeform, but if enough people sign up and wish a system, I will need a co GM to set it up and handle the rolls and outcome of each encounter.

Edited, thanks to Muse, I have my system picked, now I just need to grind out details!

Muse

I've volunteered to be Verasaille's deputy GM and handle game mechanics for her so that this story could be run in Pathfinder. 

I'll talk to her about what she wants from the story before we get character creation rules together.  I'll be using advanced race guide to put together the various elven peoples. 

For those of you who'd like to play, please bare in mind this is a setting piece and not everything in Pathfinder will fit. 

I hope we can get some interest. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

eBadger

Pathfinder is good. 

All your elves as described seem very fey and feral, with little to no government, cities, or infrastructure, correct?

Verasaille

All that has to be written down yet and invented, ebadger. As I am still in the process of building this world, I am asking for help in setting it up. You the rpers are going to give me backgrounds on your characters according to how you see your character reacting and living in this environment.

I do plan on expanding the Elven Capital city. This is where the Elven High King resides. His name is Emortalis. He is over three hundred years old. Still quite young for an elf. I see the city as similar to Rivendale in the LOTR universe. Elegant, nature based on general principal. Not all Elves are Faela or the same race. They are lumped together only in general terms.

The city has some buildings constructed of stone, most of those are simple structures, with wooden roofs and lots of landscaping. If I could find a good fantasy art picture of an Elven city I would use it.

As far as government and infrastructure, there is a High King, his Queen Ametria is a southern elf from the Perida. They have all been at peace for some time. The elves are quite xenophobic and do not like humans or dwarves entering their lands. They will tolerate  them if permission is obtained in advance and they are of good character.

There will be a Council of all the different varieties that assembles in the main city. Government is a Monarchy, and all the elves voluntarily pay tribute to Emortalis out of respect. He is a good King and loves all of his people. In the interest of making this all not too much goodness and light I will allow there to be dissenters, in the form of Her Majesty Ametria and her relatives from the Southern end of the continent. The marriage was arranged. It is a way of uniting the people. She wants more control, and he is not willing to give her too much. But they are not fighting tooth and nail. It is more like a battle of wits and politics.

Please ask all the questions you have, it helps me to set this up as a great place to rp. Found a good pic for the Elven city now I need a good name for it.

http://static.planetminecraft.com/files/resource_media/screenshot/1204/Fantasy_Elven_Village_018537_-1_1303822.jpg

OyabunKobold

My interest is Piqued though I have a question. How would you feel about a Half-blooded elf?

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0
Current Roleplay capacity 0/0

Verasaille

I am sure you could do it. The backgrounds and personality of your characters are what will make the rp fun.

As far as the Elves go, a half breed would probably be met with some doubt. They are xenophobic. But will accept the character if he proves loyal to the Elves. To be honest I think I would see more prejudice coming from the humans. That is in general of course. Individual player characters can make their own character's judgements.

I would love a good background story on how the long lived Elf would be with a short lived human. I am sticking to the idea that Elves live one thousand years at least. Humans will have a normal lifespan.

Also I want to toss in some rules I want to implement as far as the group rp goes. I have seen groups die before because people don't keep up with their posting. If you are not committed to at least three days a week to keep up please do not even sign up. I know as far as I am concerned, I lose interest in a rp if I have to wait a week or more for a response.

If you really want to participate but you have time constraints that will not allow you to post that often, we might be able to work around it if you allow one of the GMs to move your character around. We will not kill off your character in combat if we can avoid it.

OyabunKobold

^w^ Im one of those Posts as much as I can as often as I can type people. Unless I cant post (due to waiting on another player or a gm) I usually spit out posts after or before work each day if able)

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0

Verasaille

Fantastic! I love it when people post often. Even if it is just your character messing around or thinking about his past.

OyabunKobold

Okay so my question is now which Pathfinder races would match your elves or moreso what are the builds for all of them using the Race gen found here

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races

It would help greatly on choosing my Elf parentage and choosing a class as well as throwing together a background and a personality to start with. Would give me something to go off on looking for a picture as well as Id need to somehow make it work as a half elf.

Verasaille

Muse is helping me with that.

QuoteI've volunteered to be Verasaille's deputy GM and handle game mechanics for her so that this story could be run in Pathfinder. 

I'll talk to her about what she wants from the story before we get character creation rules together.  I'll be using advanced race guide to put together the various elven peoples. 

For those of you who'd like to play, please bare in mind this is a setting piece and not everything in Pathfinder will fit. 

OyabunKobold

hrms... I can have a friend of mine help make a balanced Half breed for each as well if youd like once muse has all of the elves made up

eBadger

Am looking at the Blanqua, and have an old character I plan to modify and fit in - a younger son of their royal line, who enjoys the eccentricity of traveling with the trade caravans and other expeditions: a social scion of a reclusive people.  I'm envisioning a race with a slightly darker edge - not the demon-worshipping evil of the drow, but the sort of fey who would give a law breaker a slow and public death to the delight of all.  Coupling that, however, with mores involving lots of ritual and a strict adherence to manners and tradition.  Basically, Victorian high tea at the Roman coliseum. 

Nys' image:

Verasaille

I like it badger!

Got a few more interested, and hoping they will post here soon. I am going to limit this to six. So the party is not too large.

Midwest Man

I would like to join if you'll have me. I think a tall Greneida ranger-like elf might be sort of cool to play. I'm thinkingg leather armor in a rich dark umber with deep evergreen colored boots and gloves, and a pale green toned silken shirt of Faelain styling would be appropriate I think.

Of course, that is if you think I might be able to join. I haven't figured out if he's male, or if she's female, yet. Depends on the party vibe and such.

Verasaille

Fantastic, MM. I would love to have you.

If all those who have expressed interest are eager to start as I am, I think I will move this to an appropriate group forum. I need a vote first on where to put it. I am not thinking to much in the way of bondage or NC, but there might be battle and blood. So you think maybe Extreme groups exotic will work or suggest another.

Also I need a definite yes on interest so I can list who is joining. Your opinion on my basic rule is also needed. Three times a week minimum and you agree to allow GM to move your character if you have not posted or given notice of absence in a weeks time.

OyabunKobold

Quote from: Verasaille on February 10, 2015, 08:16:13 PM
Fantastic, MM. I would love to have you.

If all those who have expressed interest are eager to start as I am, I think I will move this to an appropriate group forum. I need a vote first on where to put it. I am not thinking to much in the way of bondage or NC, but there might be battle and blood. So you think maybe Extreme groups exotic will work or suggest another.

Also I need a definite yes on interest so I can list who is joining. Your opinion on my basic rule is also needed. Three times a week minimum and you agree to allow GM to move your character if you have not posted or given notice of absence in a weeks time.

Yes I'm joining, Coming up with a Zen archer Quing Monk (if that's allowed otherwise Ill roll with a Zen archer monk) Half elf,

For the rating Elves are considered Human so unless you imagine us getting sexually attacked by something like a minotaur then Extreme Human would work *nod nod*

I have a few Pictures I'm trying to decide between but Ill wait to ask until the actual group thread :3

EDIT: Nvm didnt notice the change of venue Anyways heres what i have so far for elves I like them all but I wanted everyones opinion which one they like more :3

1st elf
2nd elf
3rd elf

Edit 2: If it helps any I got a name all made up for them

Rumahs Amaibrarvia Eyllisannia'aia

Translates in elven to: Dream mage Beautiful luck crafter Lands of the Willow mate

Rajah

Interested, and good with your basic rule! This seems like the perfect setting for a Path of War martial adept...I'm thinking a white elf from a competing formerly-royal line discontent with the present monarchy, searching for ways to rebuild their political capital and perhaps (a thousand years from now) challenge the throne. He wants to see the artifact destroyed as much as anyone (especially since the heroes who do so will gain some measure of status as a result), but he also wants to see how the Darkness operates, if it can be tamed or brought to heel - not a reckless person, but a relentlessly curious one, halfway between priest and arcane scientist. A person who believes that understanding will lead to mastery for the wise and corruption for the weak; a kind of mystic Darwinist, maybe. Name - let's go with Ziati Bluethorn.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)