WH40k: Rogue Trader

Started by White Wolf, November 13, 2017, 01:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Wolf

Hey everyone.

So for the longest time I've had a yearning to get to play Rogue Trader; I have a few of the rulebooks but I've never gotten a chance to sit down and properly play the game. My current tabletop group IRL is 5E, and I literally don't know ANYBODY who plays Rogue Trader or even knows about it.

If there's anybody out there who wants to play, or was thinking of looking for a group, or whatever, please, please, please, hit me up!!

I really wanna' get something going in this direction :D

Cheers!

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
AN EMPTY MIND IS A LOYAL MIND
The stars are coming right. Is this really the end?

Idej

I would like to make a Dark Eldar Kabalite Warrior.  She would be exiled/lone survivor from a demolished Kabal that lost favor with others amongst the Dark Kin.  OOC I will not backstab or betray any of the players as that destroys the mood of the game, IC I will not backstab or betray any of the characters in the crew because that will just mean the death of the character too and sending her soul straight to Slaanesh.  She ain't in any way able to negotiate any power play with anyone but is just trying to get away and the Rogue Trader is just the quickest way to do so for the time being.  She wouldn't be happy sullying herself to work with Mon-Keigh, but sometimes you do things for survival and that is what it is...survival.

I would like to eventually have this Drukhari start to understand how humanity is able to function and see how adopting some of their traits would be beneficial should she gain enough power to form a Kabal again.  Regardless, I would like to do this because I also want to fill-in some story for my Archon of the Kabal I'm making in the tabletop miniatures game of 40k which will be part of the Ynnari.  The Ynnari are filled with what many of all factions of Eldar would deem as, extreme, or radical.  So having someone who is not an 'orthodox' Drukhari and follows radical ideologies would be a fitting addition to the Ynnari in my opinion.  I could be wrong, but I still want to do this and if there is a GM who is willing to help with this I will appreciate it greatly.

Due to how the setting of Rogue Trader is set before Gathering Storm I would like that to still be before that as it would help development for when the Ynnari come

White Wolf

The Dark Eldar give me nightmares. God I hate them. (I love them, as a creation; in-universe, God I hate them).

I like your idea, though it'd raise serious questions for the crew. Have you played the game before, or are you new to this like myself?

If you were new as well, I'd contemplate offering to run a game with you and a couple other newbie players, in which case as GM I'd be happy to accommodate your Xeno filth (provided, in turn, the others don't mind their characters being heretical bastards) :P

If you're a veteran, though, I can imagine the last thing you want is a complete newcomer trying to take the reins of a system they barely understand, hahaha :D

Total aside: Have you read the Horus Heresy novel Tales of Heresy? There's a short story in that, Wolf At The Door, which is about a company of Space Wolves fighting a guerrilla war against the Dark Eldar. It's very, very, very good, and the final scene is just...everything that makes 40k awesome. I highly recommend!

Idej

Sort of seasoned newcomer.  Only been in three short lived games so wasn't able to get a full grasp of the situation.  Lol

What I do know is that Rogue Traders get alot of leeway in what they deal with as per their warrant of trade.

I would like the crew to help shape the Dark Eldar into something kind of reformed lol.  It's only because her story aboard the human craft would seriously shape her into being a wholesale member of the Ynnari and not piecemeal member.

And no I have not read Tales of Heresy yet either.  Might have to now.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: White Wolf on November 13, 2017, 05:39:12 AM
The Dark Eldar give me nightmares. God I hate them. (I love them, as a creation; in-universe, God I hate them).

I like your idea, though it'd raise serious questions for the crew. Have you played the game before, or are you new to this like myself?

If you were new as well, I'd contemplate offering to run a game with you and a couple other newbie players, in which case as GM I'd be happy to accommodate your Xeno filth (provided, in turn, the others don't mind their characters being heretical bastards) :P

If you're a veteran, though, I can imagine the last thing you want is a complete newcomer trying to take the reins of a system they barely understand, hahaha :D

Total aside: Have you read the Horus Heresy novel Tales of Heresy? There's a short story in that, Wolf At The Door, which is about a company of Space Wolves fighting a guerrilla war against the Dark Eldar. It's very, very, very good, and the final scene is just...everything that makes 40k awesome. I highly recommend!

Well if the imperium asks we're torturing her for information on her kin and their plans. xD

Any room for a tech priest/priestess who kept as many of their squishy bits as they could? ;)
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Idej

Alright if I just merge my request with your's so as to not clutter the request board?

I have a request already up before you but your's is more generalized than mine own. :)

Muse

Hi there.  *Waves* 

Thought I'd echo what I posted in Idej's game request thread--the desire to p lay a cassanova rogue trader. 

I have a little expreince with Dark Heresy, but my rogue trader experience is pretty miniimal.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

White Wolf

Whoa okay we basically already have enough people to actually do this. This was the last thing I was expecting! Hahaha.

Should we wait for somebody to drop by who wants to DM? As I said I am super new to this and while I don't have any overriding preference between playing or DMing (I just wanna' explore the 40k world, I don't mind how I do that), it may be better for everybody if somebody who knows the system well and has experience in it is at the helm. But, if you're of the opinion that, you know, let's just play and have fun and make mistakes and learn on the job, then I'm happy to take charge and...we are basically set to get this show on the road!

Muse! You basically just clinched this group by offering to be Rogue Trader hahaha. Now as have a captain, and at least 2 players, we're ready to go. Thank you :D

Drowdeviant (hahaha what a cool name) have you read Mechanicum, from the Horus Heresy series? (I swear I'm not here just to recommend books to people hahaha). Before reading it I was like "Oh yeah the Machine Cult is fine I guess, they fix things and pray to tanks, yeah, cool" then I read it (it's about the civil war on Mars during the Horus Heresy) and was just like FUUUUCK the Techpriests are SOOOO cool! Mars is amazing, we don't actually get to see enough of it in 40k for as awesome as it is. Keeping "as many of their squishy bits as they could" made me laugh hahaha; it's anathema in the Mars Cult but, I guess that's why they became explorators on a Rogue Trader vessel ;)

And Idej, of course, your decision to do that has brought us to this heady juncture where we're almost ready to actually start a game :D So thank you! And yeah, Rogue Trader vessels are definitely the most interesting thing to roleplay in 40k 'cos like you literally have the option to be a bona fide, 100% straight Naval vessel, or be straight up Chaos-worshipping pirates. Most games, I'd imagine, fall somewhere in the middle, but since this ship is STARTING with a god damn Dark Eldar on the crew......................it's gonna' be super exciting to see what happens hahahaha.

So! Question is. Do you trust a total n00b to not make a balls of everything (I will decidedly NOT take offence if you say no, hahaha :D ) or do we wait/shop around for a DM? :)

Idej

I don't mind if you run it!

All of us here have had some experience in RT and can happily guide you as we gleefully muddle through this journey.  :)

But in my opinion, I'd say we wait to see at least one other player joins us.  Preferably a Navigator, but anyone would do tbh. :)

Just y'all gotta deal with a Dark Eldar.

White Wolf

Quote from: Idej on November 14, 2017, 04:37:14 AM
I don't mind if you run it!

All of us here have had some experience in RT and can happily guide you as we gleefully muddle through this journey.  :)

But in my opinion, I'd say we wait to see at least one other player joins us.  Preferably a Navigator, but anyone would do tbh. :)

Just y'all gotta deal with a Dark Eldar.

If I were to be a player, I'd probably go with Seneschal as I love the idea of roleplaying through all the drudgery and monotony of their work, manages finances and shipboard economics hahaha. But, I'm just wondering, is it a problem that there's no Arch Militant? Does the crew not need a sort of tank-esque archetype?

Also, what kind of role would the Dark Eldar be fulfilling? Like do they get classes the same way regular characters do or is Dark Eldar itself its own class?

If that was the case I guess the crew could eventually find them a role on the ship (like Chief Interrogator :P ). Failing that, you know, there's always the standing threat "Go behind our backs and we'll hook you up to the Astropathic Choir and fly into the Warp. Let Slaanesh do horrible, horrible things to you."

Idej

Seneschal is a fun path :)

The Arch-Militant can be tanky yes, but not all the time.  There are two careers a Dark Eldar can start with in this game.

Kabalite Warriors and Wyches

The prior being more ranged combat focused but has close combat focus.  Is also capable of social interactions.  Wyches are your gladiators. Scantily clad gladiators but are skilled in close range combat and damn good at it.

I want to be a Kabalite Warrior.  Which is found in the supplement The Soul Reaver.

White Wolf

Ahh yes, wytches. Nothing has made a faithful Guardsman question his loyalty to the Immortal God-Emperor more.

...Until he gets back to Commoragh with her, of course.

Yeah I have a bunch of the PDFs. I actually got in touch with my nearest like gaming store earlier to see if they had the books but they're no longer available, by and large. I may need to source some PDFs of various other 40k RPGs so I have a smattering of additional rules/characters/etc. on hand if I decide to use 'em.

Incidentally - Am I the only one who finds the Dark Eldar really, really tragic and sad? Like I know the Craftworld Eldar are basically racist, vicious monsters themselves, but they're at least civilised and like, fighting for good and some sort of universal justice. Their Commorite brethren, on the other hand...it's such a terrible stain upon the race :(

#NotAllEldar

Drowdeviant

Quote from: White Wolf on November 14, 2017, 02:09:54 AM
Drowdeviant (hahaha what a cool name) have you read Mechanicum, from the Horus Heresy series? (I swear I'm not here just to recommend books to people hahaha). Before reading it I was like "Oh yeah the Machine Cult is fine I guess, they fix things and pray to tanks, yeah, cool" then I read it (it's about the civil war on Mars during the Horus Heresy) and was just like FUUUUCK the Techpriests are SOOOO cool! Mars is amazing, we don't actually get to see enough of it in 40k for as awesome as it is. Keeping "as many of their squishy bits as they could" made me laugh hahaha; it's anathema in the Mars Cult but, I guess that's why they became explorators on a Rogue Trader vessel ;)

The machine cult is why 95% of the imperium's high tech shit keeps working wolf, without them that shit would go to hell in a hand basket very quickly.

Well the "true flesh" stuff only is really followed by the more fanatical and somewhat psycho members of the cult. Hell all the non-astartes rpg lines basically have tech priests start as a basic people just with some augments...and possibly having their mouth replaced by a Darth Vader-esque grill. xD

No my guy or gal will have tried to say as normal looking as possible, hell rogue trader even has an alternate career level where tech priests can do that to a further degree (aka hiding your cybermantle under skin and shit as well as making you able to take on and off your mechadendrites with some difficulty). xD

Also as Idej knows they might try to seduce and dominate our resident sadomasochistic xenos at some point, possibly involving the use of nerve induction tines. xD
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Xue

Been looking for Dark Heresy for a while.

Don’t know Rogue Trader as a system though. Will I be too much of a liability to whimper and scratch st the thread till you let me in?

Idej

The good news is that Rogue Trader is for the most very similar to Dark Heresy with a few tweaks here and there.

I have no objections to you wanting in on this :)

Xue

Well I don’t know DH as a system either ...  ::)

<attempts to look as appealing as possible until forgiven>

Idej

Nah you're all good.  At least for me I honestly don't know the others but I would assume so too.

Idej

And yeah shock stimulation and bondage will be yum from Drowdeviant.

:)

Drowdeviant

Quote from: Idej on November 14, 2017, 05:35:01 PM
And yeah shock stimulation and bondage will be yum from Drowdeviant.

:)

She'll be a nice plaything I'm sure. Also it will help to have a nurse who can hold down unruly patients. ;)

PixelatedPixie

I would be interested in a Rogue Trader game as well.  As a player that is, if a slot is open or opens up.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 14, 2017, 11:34:02 PM
I would be interested in a Rogue Trader game as well.  As a player that is, if a slot is open or opens up.

We have spots open

What role are you looking to play as? We need a navigator. xD

White Wolf

Hello to our two newcomers! Of course you're welcome to join no matter what your level of experience - I am apparently going to be the DM of this motley crew and I've never played the game before, so, you know :P

It's gonna' be a learning experience for all of us hahahaha :D

So welcome!

Um. I mean. I guess. We have like, an entire crew's worth of players now...we can actually start to talk about. Like. A game??

So!

What's everybody's character classes? :) I need to hit the books and start actually studying how to DM :P

PixelatedPixie

I'd be tempted to try a Tau Fire Warrior if there is already heresy on the crew.  Otherwise, I assume a Missionary wouldn't work with a Dark Eldar about.  So maybe a Void Master.

White Wolf

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 15, 2017, 02:09:41 AM
I'd be tempted to try a Tau Fire Warrior if there is already heresy on the crew.  Otherwise, I assume a Missionary wouldn't work with a Dark Eldar about.  So maybe a Void Master.

WELL WHY NOT JUST HOLD UP A #HORUSDIDNOTHINGWRONG SIGN WHEN YOU'RE AT IT?!?!?!

No but that would be an awesome idea if the other players are agreed :D Basically it's painting a very clear painting of this ship's crew as savage Xeno-heretics. The pros are it gives the human characters unlimited access to Xeno weapons, artifacts and other boons, since they're obviously not afraid to deal with aliens. On the downside...well...

...but this could turn out to be a ridiculously exciting game as a result :D I love it already.

Plus, heresy begets piracy, since you're already so far outside of Imperial law and order there's no reason not to go that extra mile and just operate for yourselves. So this is gonna' be an alien-tolerant pirate game, it looks like, which is exciting as Hell hahaha.

EDIT: Totally not related. But I need to find stats on Deathwatch Marines...

PixelatedPixie

There is a Deathwatch RPG  ::)

I will have to debate between Tau and a Void Master who may or may not be an unsanctioned Psyker.  But a nice unsanctioned Psyker!  O:)

Also...  Horus did nothing wrong.  Down with the Corpse God!  I mean, uh, Praise by the Emperor!