Windows 10 upgrade

Started by Beorning, July 19, 2016, 07:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

So... My Windows keeps asking me if I want to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. And I'm wondering... should I or should I not?

What's your opinion on this matter, tech-savvy Elliquians? Is getting Win10 a good idea, or will it mess my computer up?

AmberStarfire

Personally, I regret upgrading. I did have computer problems after that so it's possible it might cause you problems. It's not definite.

Do you want to upgrade? If you do, I'd say ensure you have the maximum privacy settings. Also, in settings they use people's bandwidth to deliver updates unless the setting for it is turned off. A whole lot of things are turned on by default in Windows 10.

What do you have currently?

Bloodied Porcelain

I've had nothing but issues since upgrading. My graphics driver (which I've changed, uninstalled/reinstalled, and fiddled with almost constantly) likes to randomly stop working, sometimes causing the whole damn computer to crash, and neither microsoft nor NVIDIA have a fix for it, I loathe the set up of the OS for a desktop or non-touch screen laptop, I've found the performance is worse than it was with 7, when I first installed, it FUBARed all my fonts (ignored the default font setting in windows and instead decided to use one of my artsy, wacky fonts for everything... nothing on my computer was legible) so I had to uninstall all 5k fonts and strip them down to the basic windows ones, and the other day I thought I'd lost everything on my HDD because I booted up after shutting down the night before, and it told me the boot volume was unreadable (or something to that degree). It took two hours of running win10 from a disc I had to burn with my laptop and using the repair utility to fix it. It should be noted that the last problem is a verified and common issue with 10. A simple google search shows tons of people have had the problem, and Microsoft's only answer is to use a disk or usb drive with win 10 to "repair" the volume. This can take HOURS.

I don't recommend 10 to anyone. At all. Ever. Hell, I build PCs on the side a lot, and I made it a point to buy a bunch of win 7 disks so I would have some built up for future projects. >.>
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Stella

I went from Win 7 to Win 10 and I actually haven't had any problems. I customised my install to ensure I was happy with the privacy settings, so I definitely recommend that if you choose to upgrade.

Beorning

So, more or less... you don't recommend it, guys?

I'm considering updating, as I got my current PC without the OS disks (the system was pre-installed). So, I thought that I might be finally getting a full OS with the Win10 upgrade. But if it causes problems, then it seems not to be a good idea...

Despairs

I would upgrade to windows ten. It's not as bad as some people make it sound. If you have any problems with your computer, let know, I will help you resolve the issues. I didn't go to an IT school and spend several years working on computers for nothing. The current OS that you are using will become obsolete in a few years. You're getting a free upgrade to the current OS, would you rather shell out x amount of money for something or get it for free? Irregardless of the fact that paying for it, doesn't really ensure that you're getting a high quality version. You're getting the same thing, it's just that you can choose to pay for it, or get it for free and save your money for other important things.
---> Click here to visit current request thread for pairings with plots as well as ons and offs.<---
Note: Strictly  homosexual pairings as the main focus in stories bore me, however I am fine with it as side pairings as long as I write for the males  in a relationship with each other, or the two  males involved with each other and the female in a polyamory relationship.

Status: May be slow in replying to messages due to online Uni and job hunting.

Uni graduation: 8/24/25.

AmberStarfire

It seems like operating systems aren't all they used to be.

They used to be more fully targeted to a customer's needs to provide a basis to run programs/operate your computer. Now it seems like there are many more facets to their making money, harvesting information, advertising, using your bandwidth, security flaws or loopholes, and heavy-handedness. They try to force you to upgrade, limit retailers to selling only certain operating systems, and so much more is 'in the cloud' where it's monitored, information is gathered, and there's less 'ownership' even of a license to a program than there once was. More control is in their hands over a system that is your own, even if none of the software on it technically is.

It makes me consider the options of changing to an operating system like Linux or one of the others, but I'm not sure what would run under it or how.

Lilias

I'm glad I upgraded. Sure, the first attempt failed, after slowing me down for most of a day, and when it finally installed, it took away a few features of my touchscreen, but I haven't had any trouble since. In fact, 10 is the closest I've been to my beloved XP. Devices are temperamental, but you should be able to downgrade again, if it doesn't work out.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Markus

First attempt didn't work out, did an upgrade to Win 10 from Win 8.1, choose to keep existing files, settings, things got a bit messed up.
Second attempt, did a clean install from a usb stick recently, much better so far.

мαякυs's αωσℓ ησтιcε

ᴀɴᴅ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴅᴏᴇs ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡʙᴏʀɴ ɢᴏ ғʀᴏᴍ ʜᴇʀᴇ? ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴛ ɪs ᴠᴀsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛᴇ.

Raziel

I've been using Windows 10 since the preview builds first came out and it's a lot better now than it was back then, there are a few things that are still sketchy, especially if you're a gamer, a few games still have the odd issue but nothing major. As for the rest of the OS it runs a lot smoother now and isn't as bad as people say.

Fenirus

Honestly I'd advise against the upgrade as it's a real crap shoot as to wither or not you'll have any problems with the upgrade.  I personally had two got fairly well, one would randomly forget it had a network drive and the other would miss a hard drive, both both issues could be resolve with reboots.  If you want to go to Windows 10 I'd honestly recommend spending the money to get the CD and full software, it's a much smoother process and after doing that on my computer I've had zero issues.

Lady Quixote

I've upgraded 6 or 7 PCs from 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 and had no issues.  I've known of one person who had a problem, and it's a relatively rare but occasionally your personal files won't get put back into the proper file structure.

Your data does not disappear it's in a folder called Windows.old so they can be migrated.

Good luck.
Marissa