News:

Main Menu

Tomb Raider Reboot

Started by Sabby, May 04, 2010, 02:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

This may have gone over some peoples heads, but a little while ago, there was a reboot of the Tomb Raider games. In sequence, it was Legend, and then Underworld. I've met a few fans of the games on E, but also a lot of gamers I speak too have no idea these games even existed.

So I'm curious as to what people thought of it. I loved it. The story and characters were decent but it was directed well and easy to get into, and towards the ending, things managed to get pretty epic. The gameplay needed some tightening up, but the physics driven puzzles were fantastic.

Without spoilers, the general plot is that Lara and her Mother were stranded in an island when their private jet crashed. Lara was only a little girl, but accidentally activated some sort of device in the ruins that they sheltered in, and the strange technology spirited her mother away.

This has always been the motivation for Lara's archeological pursuit, hoping to one day find out just what happened to her mother. It all uses Norse mythology to good effect and the world ending truths that are revealed were actually quite clever plays on the Norse stories.

It got a little comic bookish towards the end, with 'epic super power battles', but I found myself playing simply for the plot.

Callie Del Noire

I liked it.. and they pulled in characters from the Original Tomb Raider as well. The DLC for the latest Tomb Raider also plays in on characters from the revamped storyline. (I would say more but I don't want to spoil it)

Inkidu

I've never been one for Tomb Raider. I played Legends but I was never really impressed. It was shallow fun to me. You could pretty much figure out the puzzles in no time once it became clear and the fighting wasn't all that inspiring, I think it should have been a little more over the topish. Mostly I don't like playing Tomb Raider because it kind of always promotes looks at Lara's tig ole' bitties. I think they're trying to bring back her old sex appeal or something.

I did like the fresh take on the Excalibur myth and all that but a lot of things would just not pass. The platforming could give me fits and the gun fighting could be really seizure-riffic.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shadowsteel

I tried it, the gameplay was pretty hard to grasp, and the controls were confusing as hell as I remember
Sworn to the Oath of Drake

Shadowsteel's theory on the transitive property of handcuffs - through association, especially by physical contact such as hug-piles - legitimate reason is given if you have reasonable reason to apply handcuffs to one particpant, you have reason (excuse) to apply handcuffs to all of them.

OOC's Beware! Because really, when is it not
an acceptable time for handcuffs?

Sabby

Underworld was the better of the two. Combat was the same for the most part, but near the end you were swing Thor's hammer and blasting apart viking zombies with lightning cracks.

Plus I loved the Doppleganger.