Council of Dreams (LGBTQ friendly) - Freeform Mage based game - Still Recruiting

Started by Caehlim, September 28, 2014, 02:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lockepick

Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Caehlim

I will be bringing in some NPCs as well to bulk out the Consillium.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Lockepick

In regards to Arcanum Selection for characters: I do think enforcing, or even encouraging, that Mages are restricted to their Path Arcanum is kind of... boring. While yes, they should probably have a focus in one and some investment in the other -- if all the Moros have Matter 5/Death 4 (or vice versa), you end up with people who are pretty similar in regards to magic. I think that third Arcanum is sort of an interesting flavor. A Moros who also has Life on top of Matter/Death has a lot of different options than one that has Mind instead of Life.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Caehlim

Quote from: lockepick on September 30, 2014, 11:00:57 PM
In regards to Arcanum Selection for characters: I do think enforcing, or even encouraging, that Mages are restricted to their Path Arcanum is kind of... boring. While yes, they should probably have a focus in one and some investment in the other -- if all the Moros have Matter 5/Death 4 (or vice versa), you end up with people who are pretty similar in regards to magic. I think that third Arcanum is sort of an interesting flavor. A Moros who also has Life on top of Matter/Death has a lot of different options than one that has Mind instead of Life.

Agreed. I've opened it up so that people can select their own arcanum however they like with up to 9 points between them. I'd encourage people to take some skill in their path magic, but it's just going to be free choice. In addition to not worrying about improvised/rotes or extra mana costs I'm also not worrying about inferior arcana either.

VonDoom

Very WIP character draft. I have more since it's the revival of an old character, but those text passages I need to a) translate into English and b) adjust for the game.

Nathan Blackwell

True Name :  Nathaniel David Alexander Blackwell (legally shortened to Nathan Blackwell)
Shadow Name : Logos
Sex :  male
Classification :  Mage
Relationship Status :  Married (swinging, always full disclosure with his wife)

Path : Obrimos
Order : Mysterium (Eyes of Ain Soph)

Mundane Occupation/Life:
Nathan is a high-school chemistry teacher and active in the scientific community. Between these activities and his family, he was unwilling to give up his mundane life and has so far managed to make it work quite well. He affects a chronic medical condition with his Apprentice-level Life Magic to explain any sudden disappearance acts related to his other life.

Mage Occupation/Life:
Nathan is a bit of an odd duck -- his strong desire to protect his family and mundane social environment would have made him a good Guardian of the Veil or perhaps the Adamatine Arrows and sometimes he regrets sticking with his scholastic roots, but he is still a member of the Mysterium and the Eyes of Ain Soph therein, focusing primarily on research -- he researches ways to combine his vast knowledge of chemistry, biology and physics with working magic - both to enhance vulgar magic and make the latter coincidental.

He has generally demonstrated a willingness to freely assist in activities that are 'for the good of the community', whether for normals or mages.

Height :
Weight / Body type :  thin with some muscle/in good shape
Hair :  brown
Skin :  fair-caucasian
Eyes :  brown
Distinguishing Features :  A tattoo of a modified version (code symbols instead of element shorthands) of Theodor Benfey's periodic table  on the left upper arm.

Standard Clothing :  prefers simple but practical formal wear (properly measured suits that look off the shelf,  ties) in a work environment; jeans, shirt and brown leather jacket at home/in friendly company.
Face Claim :  Liam Neeson

About :

Logos is known as a mage willing to help others with their problems if asked, as long as they appear of solid moral standing. For Logos, this means a willingness to help rather than a desire to harm. He apparently still maintains his former life and has answered any attempts to pry into it with harsh dismissals or swift retribution -- he is a man of peace, but perfectly willing to step outside these principles if he has to protect his loved ones and way of life. He seems to have connections to influential people, though whether through family relations or his scientific work is unknown.

SL: Nothing more than above. He disapproves of their more power-hungry individuals.

Mysterium: Fellow Eyes members know his real background, though not his full name.

GotV: Since his experimental activities can be very dangerous and easily invoke paradox if something goes wrong, his relations to the Guardians are strained despite his general suitability to their cause. They know he is always willing to help, but bears watching.

AA: He maintains good relations with some Adamantine Arrow members and often consults younger mages, giving advise on how a desired spell might be cast in a way to make it less risky. They know of his magical research and his willingness to help. He also sometimes gets involved in magical sparring -- to keep his edge for when he needs it.

Free Council:
He is known as a helpful mentor-figure who doesn't push free spirits into joining his club. He's always happy to explain the basic rules without the annoying formalities and recruitment pitches and loves to talk about new discoveries or old ones that are approached with a new mindset.

Sexuality : heterosexual
Player Sexual On's and Offs :
Character Ons :
Character Offs :

Player :  VonDoom

Magical knowledge An experienced character can have up to 9 levels in the different types of magic. Younger or more inexperienced characters can be made with less. Sleepwalkers do not possess any magical knowledge at all.

Time :
Fate :
Space :
Mind :
Life : Apprentice
Spirit :
Matter : Disciple
Death :
Forces :  Disciple
Prime : Initiate

Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

AndyZ

I'll just wait a bit and see what everyone else makes before tossing a character down.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Lockepick

I'm happy to change this if we change any of the rules. Also, let me know if I overstepped any bounds in creating a location.

EDIT 1: Typo and fixed so image actually shows up.

Mare - Mastigos / Guardian of the Veil

True Name : David Maxfield
Shadow Name : Mare
Sex : Male
Classification : Mage
Relationship Status : Single

Path : Mastigos
Order : Guardians of the Veil

Mundane Occupation/Life : The Sleep of Reason: 'The Sleep of Reason' is actually a club in downtown that is owned by Mare. It's a two story affair, with the bottom floor serving as a dance club favoring new wave, EDM, and darker trance. The upstairs serves as a lounge, serving only fine liquor, and the music is only so loud as to serve as white noise for privacy. Both floors favor dark red and black color schemes, with the walls a crimson red with black stencils of shapes of bats, owls, snakes, and other horrifying silhouettes. Art buffs and intellectuals may recognize that the name 'The Sleep of Reason' refers to the the painting 'The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters' by Francisco Goya. Mare occasionally tends bar, more for the conversations and for the act of being a host than for the financial gain. Mages are welcome in the bar, and Mare even offers 'privacy' booths, where he can place Wards created that block any 'Language' in and out to make eavesdropping impossible.
Mage Occupation/Life : Unlicensed Psychology: Mare has never been schooled as a psychologist, but with progression in the Mind Arcanum, he has learned to lay the mind bare and traverse it. He's not interested in helping people through the stress of a mundane day, more "Let me help you cope with the Abyssal horrors you've seen." For Mages, he offers his services to help them cope with the Supernal through brute force psychic surgery. For the rare mortals he deals with, coping with the Supernal or Abyssal is usually done by making them forget it ever happened.

Height : 5'9"
Weight / Body type : Athletic / Lithe
Hair : Red
Skin : Fair
Eyes : Green
Distinguishing Features : None
Standard Clothing : Jeans, loose graphic t-shirts, leather jacket; brass ring with a flat, polished, circular plate over the top of his finger.
Face Claim : Unknown

Dislikes : Timidness, Irresponsibility, Ignorance

About :
Mare's childhood was mostly uneventful, simply because he wasn't able to do much. Even as a young child, he was plagued with night terrors that made it impossible for him to properly sleep. There was no trauma to cause it, and no true phobias to deal with -- except the Pavlovian response to the act of sleeping itself. It put him in a state of never being fully asleep, and thus, never being fully awake. His schedule was erratic, and he was too exhausted to ever be active. His parents did the best they could to accommodate his condition, even having him home schooled by a private tutor that was basically 'on call' for when Mare was alert enough to actually retain anything. Thankfully, Mare was bright enough to quickly pick up the lessons in the few windows of time he had.

Mare Awakened when he was nineteen, and for the sleepy, nightmare-addled youth, it was both a metaphorical and literal awakening. With his deal with the Watchtower of Pandemonium, the night terrors ceased; leaving Mare to rationalize that the night terrors were actually Pandemonium trying to reach out to him even as a child. A combination of going from a sleep-deprived daze to having a normal sleep cycle, as well as going from a Sleeper to an all powerful will-worker, caused Mare to slip into a series of dangerous risks; drinking, drugs, extreme sports, spontaneous trips, and more.

He survived those three years before the Guardians found him and recruited him. He 'settled down' and decided that he had to do something to make up for the time that was lost as a child. Since he rationalized those night terrors as Pandemonium, he had to make some good out of his Awakened gift. He moved into the city only three years ago, quickly working to establish himself in both the mortal world with his club, The Sleep of Reason, and among Mages as a confidant and a psychologist.

Doctor/Patient Confidentiality: Mare sees a lot of stuff in the memories of willing patients, and there is a clear understanding that the information isn't to be shared. After all, if it got out that Mare was sharing or selling information, it means he wouldn't have any additional patients in the future. Mages are well paying customer, but the information he learns is a font of knowledge and second-hand experience that he's not about to give up.
Fear: Mare believes Fear is the best tool to maintaining the Veil. Sleepers will not question or investigate that which they are afraid of. Sleepers accept that they can be irrational and misunderstand or misremember things in times of great fear. Mare uses fear to direct, distract, encourage, dissuade, and when push comes to shove, to disable.
Morality: Mare understands emotions as a science, and that can make him come off as cold or aloof. Much of what we consider about Morality is based around sympathy and empathy, and as Mare has learned to view them as malleable, tangible constructs, he is more easily able to ignore them when it comes to 'big picture' or 'greater goals.'
As a Guardian: Every Mage has to be responsible for their own Magic and their life. Mages' actions have far reaching consequences, much more than any Sleeper, in both the Fallen Realm and the Supernal Realm. Mare sees the Guardians as heroes and martyrs who work to fix the errors of 'irresponsible' mages, and secondly, to keep Mages from making future errors.

Sexuality : Homosexual (Submissive/Bottom)
Player Sexual On's and Offs : https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=166718.0
Character Ons : Passion/Aggression; 'Magic' or 'Supernatural' Sex; Risk; Confidence
Character Offs : Femininity, Caution/Restraint

Player : Lockepick

Magical knowledge
Space : Initiate (2)
Mind : Master (5)
Prime : Initiate (2)

Senti

Pen me in I need to look out my books again ...but I have a couple of idea's if you are still recruiting.

Caehlim

Quote from: lockepick on October 01, 2014, 10:08:29 AMAlso, let me know if I overstepped any bounds in creating a location.

Mare is accepted. Most mage communities end up needing a good shrink, so I imagine his service would come in handy.

The club is perfectly fine. Since your character is a Master mind mage, and clearly quite established and experienced would you like the club to have a place of power inside it (probably a back room rather than the main dance-floor) where magic can be used without causing paradox? That would be quite appropriate.

Quote from: Senti on October 01, 2014, 03:21:28 PMPen me in I need to look out my books again ...but I have a couple of idea's if you are still recruiting.

Absolutely, you're more than welcome.

Lockepick

Hooray! I welcome any opportunity to make the Sleep of Reason more useful to the Mage community (and myself).

Can you give me some fluff on what a 'Place of Power' is thematically? Are we just going 'Demanse?' or is it just a strong Hallow? Or something not from the Mage books? I only ask so I can properly describe it within the history and within the game!

Caehlim

Quote from: lockepick on October 02, 2014, 06:46:13 AMCan you give me some fluff on what a 'Place of Power' is thematically? Are we just going 'Demanse?' or is it just a strong Hallow? Or something not from the Mage books? I only ask so I can properly describe it within the history and within the game!

Oh sorry, I wasn't sure how familiar you were with mage so I was trying to describe it rather than specifically saying mage terms. I was referring to a demesne, although a hallow wouldn't be inappropriate either if you'd prefer. It could even be both, although if it was both then it would only be a weaker hallow.

For those reading who are not familiar with what I'm talking about, mages can put a small fragment of their soul into a physical object. These objects are known as a soul-stone and are quite useful, but also dangerous to you if anyone else gets their hands on it. It can always be used to set up a mystical link to you because it holds part of your soul. Mage tradition says that if anyone has your soul-stone, they're able to demand three favours from you and then they have to give it back. While this is just a tradition and there's no obligation to follow it, most do (The person whose soulstone it is because they're at risk, the person who stole it because if you hold onto it forever people will take stupid risks to get it back if you don't offer it in ransom). A master mage (of any type of magic), can use a soulstone to create a demense, a place where magic can be used without the risk of paradox.

There are also places called Hallows which are natural conjunctions of ley-lines where magical energy naturally appears on earth, so long as they remain without becoming tainted, disrupted or similar they produce some form of magical substance called Tass, which mages can use for magical power. It is also easier to cast spells within a hallow. Tass can appear as anything, if a hallow is in a garden then a tree might grow magical apples whereas if the hallow is in a scrapyard, the metal might rust into a magical red powder.

MrAlanNH

Hi there all,

I am still finalizing my character (the WIP is here https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=214515.msg10550913#msg10550913) but there is a potential tie-in for another character in my background if anyone is interested.

Specifically, "Along with another Mage he is co-owner of a prestigious funeral home in the area.."
Probably most appropriate for a Mage with high Death ability.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there as an idea.

(added)  After reading Caehlim's previous post, perhaps the funeral home could be a hallow particularly geared towards Death magic.

Caehlim

Quote from: MrAlanNH on October 02, 2014, 08:03:08 AMAfter reading Caehlim's previous post, perhaps the funeral home could be a hallow particularly geared towards Death magic.

That would be great.

Lockepick

Do both of those have the Paradox reducing effect? Or just the demanse?

For "The Sleep of Reason," I think a Demanse would be more thematic, given that the club probably wouldn't have created a Hallow above a very small level in the three years it's open. Plus, I like the idea of Mare's soulstone being used for it; that he has some part of him in the environment.

Caehlim

Only the demesne reduces paradox. No magic, no matter how improbable it is counts as violating reality in a demesne because you've made reality in that place a 'part of you' by keeping your soulstone there. However this doesn't work if an ordinary person sees you use the magic, bringing normals into a demesne is usually a bad idea for that reason, they can bring all your carefully placed magic crashing down with disbelief and paradox.

Hallows are just a well that constantly refills with magical energy. Reality is still just as fragile near them, although the magical energy does empower spells a little and you can pour some of your extra magical energy into making a spell less likely to cause paradox (giving it more energy then it needs) so having a hallow can help reduce paradox but only indirectly.

It's possible that he created the club in that location because the location was already a hallow, they tend to be somewhat naturally occurring phenomena and sometimes they're found in an inactive state by mages (hard to find, but some sort of bad feng shui or shifted ley-line stopped it from working properly) and brought back to life. This either takes doing some proper feng shui around it, or a mage with Prime. (The Hierarch would have been willing to help mages with something like this).

Lockepick

Apologies if this seems like nitpicking, but seeing as how the game is using some but not all information from the Mage book, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making any assumptions. Let me also put the disclaimer that I have NO issue with straying from the book -- this is not supposed to tell you how it's supposed to be, I just want to have the same vision as our dear GM. I'm putting the questions under a spoiler, because I'm worried that for people NOT familiar with the actual Mage: The Awakening system -- these questions might cause more confusion than answers.

Nitty Gritty Questions!

1) If I read the blurb on magic properly, within this game, ALL Magic causes Paradox and ALL Magic can be 'disbelief'-ed, correct? There is no real distinction between Vulgar and Covert as there is in the books?
2) A spell can only be effected by Disbelief if they are aware of it in some way, correct? For example: If I have a spell making me good at firearms, but nobody sees me shooting a gun -- the spell is immune to Disbelief until such a time.
3) Your fluff for Demense made me question: Does the paradox reducing effect only work for me? Or any mages within the Demense?

For "The Sleep of Reason", I'm happy to say I worked with the Hierach in tracking down a location that might have a resonance around something like Joy, Celebration, Relaxation or even Security (people feeling safe talk and unwind more). The Hallow fed off the energies/emotions from club-goers and got stronger. Mare added his own Soul Stone into the mix once he achieved Mastery, helping enforce the already prevalent emotions there.

Mare has Prime 2, but if that's not enough to take care of it -- I'd love to create a relationship with another PC that does have enough Prime to say Mare contracted them in the past. Hell, we could do that even if Prime 2 is enough, and say it was before Mare had Prime 2.

Kythia

Do you have any characters you would particularly like people to play for metaplot/balance/whatever reasons?

Caehlim

Thanks Lockepick, some great questions there. I've gone into some detail, which is again in spoilers for the same reason you did, it'll just confuse people who don't already play Mage.

Nitty Gritty Answers!

1) If I read the blurb on magic properly, within this game, ALL Magic causes Paradox and ALL Magic can be 'disbelief'-ed, correct? There is no real distinction between Vulgar and Covert as there is in the books?

In nWoD, There actually is no solid definable difference between Vulgar and Covert, except "These spells are always covert because it says so in the rules except when they're not (improbable spells)" and "These spells are Vulgar (even though they're not actually in any way obvious, but it's just to balance the power out)". Then there's the whole sympathetic makes spells vulgar automatically rule. The whole thing's a mess that takes 200 pages of rules to cover completely and even then they needed to go into massive errata in the Tome of the Mysteries for people using improvised magic rather than the rotes.

I mostly prefer nWoD but it's one of those times when I missed the simplicity of Ascension's Vulgar and Coincidental (Simply: would a viewer consider this impossible). Anyway, short of reprinting their list of spells in full there was no easy way to explain the difference between vulgar and covert the way nWoD does it because it's literally done on a case by case basis in Awakening.

That's why I just went with the narrative description "When you push magic too far and try to change things too much", which I will admit is vague as hell but I'm basically leaving it up to people's judgement unless it's a matter where people ask for me to make a ruling. You'll get to decide if/when your character suffers paradox and describe it happening. If people are pulling off constant vulgar effects that seem a bit too much, I'll contact them and suggest that it's probably too far.

However there's no intention for this game to be balanced, rules heavy or overly structured. It's simply meant to be narrative and run off what feels right to the people in a scene.

Disbelief requires that the viewer notices the magic. It will never apply if the magic does not produce an obvious effect that is outside the range of possibility.

2) A spell can only be effected by Disbelief if they are aware of it in some way, correct? For example: If I have a spell making me good at firearms, but nobody sees me shooting a gun -- the spell is immune to Disbelief until such a time.

Exactly. Even more so, if they see you shooting a gun and have no reason to believe that you're not good at firearms, then disbelief still wouldn't affect it since there's nothing going on that looks impossible. However if they've got your complete markmanship report in their hands, they've just read it and seen that you're a terrible shot and seen you holding the gun wrong. Then you suddenly cast the spell and are hitting every target, then disbelief might kick in.

3) Your fluff for Demense made me question: Does the paradox reducing effect only work for me? Or any mages within the Demense?

Any mages. Although on a sheer fluff level, mages from the same path as you feel more comfortable in there and they also have a slight boost to the favoured arcana of that path. It's based on your soul, not theirs but it's still the soul of a mage and its benefits would apply to any other mage.

QuoteFor "The Sleep of Reason", I'm happy to say I worked with the Hierach in tracking down a location that might have a resonance around something like Joy, Celebration, Relaxation or even Security (people feeling safe talk and unwind more). The Hallow fed off the energies/emotions from club-goers and got stronger. Mare added his own Soul Stone into the mix once he achieved Mastery, helping enforce the already prevalent emotions there.

That sounds perfect.

QuoteMare has Prime 2, but if that's not enough to take care of it -- I'd love to create a relationship with another PC that does have enough Prime to say Mare contracted them in the past. Hell, we could do that even if Prime 2 is enough, and say it was before Mare had Prime 2.

I can't find my copy of Sanctum and Sigil just at this second and it's got the details of what level of prime would be needed. Off the top of my head, I believe it's either done instantly with a Prime Making effect (Prime 5) or done over a bit of time manipulating ley-lines with a Prime Weaving effect (so Prime 3) or it's done by purely mundane means without any spells (Prime 1 Unveiling would be very helpful to doing this though).

As an aside, if you have Prime 2, you could have the building run its electricity directly off the leylines and you wouldn't need to pay any power-bills.

Caehlim

Quote from: Kythia on October 02, 2014, 11:35:00 AMDo you have any characters you would particularly like people to play for metaplot/balance/whatever reasons?

Not really, no. I'm hoping to get a fairly diverse range of people together because that's often more interesting, but I prefer to see what the players create and tailor the story to them rather than vice versa.

Anyone too completely antisocial would be difficult since they wouldn't then associate with the rest, but otherwise any sort of character would be fine.

Kythia

Cool.  Couple of posts to make and some shit TV to watch then I'll get something together.

Caehlim

Awesome.

Once I get a few more characters I'll start up an approved character thread and OOC thread as well.

This game is still recruiting for more people though if anyone is lurking and interested.

CurvyKitten

Is it to late to express some interest in playing in this game. I haven't played mage in over a year or so but miss it dearly so I think it would be amazing if I could get in on this.

Caehlim

Not too late at all, things are just starting to move along nicely. It would be perfect to have you on board.

CurvyKitten

YAAY I have to characters in mind, I never really got to play out their stories when larping and think it would be fun to try it here. How do you feel about Seer's being in a pc's background? Sorry if this was already asked, I'm still trying to read through the pages already up.

Caehlim

That sounds fine. I haven't gone into a lot of detail on the seers anywhere yet at all but if you're familiar with them then it would be fine to include them in your story as long as it's nothing completely world reshaping.

I figure that with the strong Adamantine Arrow presence, there would be few obvious or warlike Seers causing any difficulties, but probably a fair few more subtle and calculating ones that are remaining much more secret and diabolical with their plotting.