Council of Dreams (LGBTQ friendly) - Freeform Mage based game - Still Recruiting

Started by Caehlim, September 28, 2014, 02:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonDoom

Well, it brings its own complications -- obviously a legal name change is traceable, if someone suspects and goes to the effort. Depending on where mages are established, it might even set off warning flags and get you a friendly visit. But it won't be revealed by a casual driver's license examination.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

AndyZ

Makes me feel better to know ^_^ I can tell you horror stories about games I've been in, but if it's a common sense thing and not a fanatical thing, works great for me.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Caehlim

Quote from: VonDoom on September 29, 2014, 02:15:34 PM
Well, it brings its own complications -- obviously a legal name change is traceable, if someone suspects and goes to the effort. Depending on where mages are established, it might even set off warning flags and get you a friendly visit. But it won't be revealed by a casual driver's license examination.

Easy enough to do. San Francisco allows people to change their legal name with a bit of work. It won't do anything to alter your true name (which is whatever your parents gave you), but anyone who just has your new name won't have a mystical connection to you. It'll still be listed on governmental records as being changed, but it would take some detective work for people to track that down.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

CShades

Quote from: Caehlim on September 29, 2014, 12:15:57 PM

What I'm thinking of doing, to open options up to people a little more is to allow characters to choose one of three options.

1) Your character is a more experienced mage but split their training into a lot of different fields. They know both styles of magic from their path and a third style as well. However they have to start at Disciple level or lower since they've focused on broad training rather than a specific field.
2) Your character remained focused on their path. They know both styles of magic from their path and no others. Can start at any level of power.
3) Your character split their focus between their path and something else. They know one of the styles of magic from their path and one style from any other path. Can start at any level of power.

How about everyone gets 10 (or 9) levels to spread however they like (or save for learning in game), with at least 3(or4) of those to go on their primary path? That way you get the same result (A max of 2 master arcana or apprenticeship in almost all of them; glass cannon vs JoAT)

"The next time I kill you, I promise you the labyrinth that consists of a single straight line that is both invisible and endless" ~Jorge Luis Borges.

Caehlim

Quote from: CShades on September 29, 2014, 03:41:18 PMHow about everyone gets 10 (or 9) levels to spread however they like (or save for learning in game), with at least 3(or4) of those to go on their primary path? That way you get the same result (A max of 2 master arcana or apprenticeship in almost all of them; glass cannon vs JoAT)

Maybe, I am worried about making it too difficult for people to pick up who are less familiar with mage...

However I suppose I could always do some pre-prepared "serving suggestions" that people can pick, and those more confident with the ideas of the system could customize their own.

Also sorry everyone for not getting guidelines up already, there's been a lot to consider with how best to make this freeform.

Interdiction of words

Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A

Caehlim

Quote from: Interdiction of words on September 29, 2014, 04:33:44 PM
I am only going to make one character for now

Perfectly fine, one character can be good for focusing your attention or making the most of limited time. I'm just opening the offer to those who want to try a couple of different things out.

Rajah

Quote from: AndyZ on September 29, 2014, 01:48:52 PM
The question was really directed to the player ^_^ An Obrimos can be pretty flashy, and I've been in games where the GoV get upset if you use vulgar magic even in secret and even if you soak all the backlash.

I'm looking at a Silver Ladder, so, don't worry - there'll be someone else to take the heat off you. Even with subtle Arcanum, the SL considers vulgar magic for questionable purposes somewhere between divine right and divine MANDATE, and there is nothing clean or safe about pushing for new Awakenings. Hieraconis awaits. :P
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Caehlim

Okay, I've put up the character sheets and rough character creation guidelines. There's potentially a lot of information to cover, so anyone who is confused please feel free to ask me questions or let me know what I should cover more.

People should feel free to start creating characters that they would like to play and we can start approving them and discussing their potential roles in mage society.

Divine Tenacity

Carefully adds template to a spoiler to work on when she wakes up.

Bare Bones W.I.P.
Name : Jihl Sinclaire
Classification : (??)
Relationship Status : Single, thank you very much!

Path : Oubrimos
Order : Adamantine Arrows

Height : 5 feet 9 inches
Weight / Body type : 140lbs./ Athletic
Hair : Black, flowing free and straight midway down her back (currently dyed green)
Skin : Mocha
Eyes : Flecked hazel/amber irises
Distinguishing Features : Large tattoo mural of tribal rose bisecting her back
Standard Clothing : Tends to wear anything loose and comfortable, but will change it up for something acutally girly every now and again.
Face Claim : (TBA)

About :

Sexuality : Bi-Curious
Player Sexual On's and Offs :
Character Ons :
Character Offs :

Player :

Magical knowledge An experienced character can have up to 9 levels in the different types of magic. Younger or more inexperienced characters can be made with less. Sleepwalkers do not possess any magical knowledge at all.

Time :
Fate :
Space :
Mind :
Life :
Spirit :
Matter :
Death :
Forces :
Prime :

Group Games: 0 (pending) | Solo Games: 2  | Post(s) Owed: 2

Check out my Request Thread!

Caehlim

As an example, here's a character sheet for the Hierarch.

True Name : Albert Sanderly
Shadow Name : Magnus
Sex : Male
Classification : Mage
Relationship Status : Widower with two children.

Path : Oubrimos
Order : Adamantine Arrow

Height : 6'2"
Weight / Body type : Fit for his age but beginning to lose some of the muscle he had when younger, remains lean and wiry however.
Hair : Grey and cut short
Skin : White
Eyes : Blue
Distinguishing Features : Is covered in tattoos of Atlantean runes of power, although none of these are anywhere that shows past his clothes.
Standard Clothing : Prefers casual styles of clothes but in a more formal and conservative fashion.
Face Claim : Simon Rogers

Dislikes : People causing chaos, politicians

About : Albert never cared much about the world of magic, his focus was more solidly upon his family. When he awakened though to the existence of magic and learned of all the threats out there he worked to protect not only his own family but the other ordinary families out there. The Adamantine Arrows took him in, although he had no previous experience with combat because he was willing to work to make a difference. Like all Arrows, he fought when it was necessary, but his main talent was in organizing and coordinating matters for the other Arrows. He conducted research, managed the order's finances and helped to organize training and logistics. When the war started between the orders, his only concern was ending it as quickly as possible. He would do anything to keep the city safe from mages running amok, even taking power over the city himself as Hierarch which he managed by any means necessary.

His wife was murdered ten years ago. He never involved the rest of the magical community but found out what was responsible himself and took care of it quietly. He has two sons, one of whom has awakened and is a member of the Consillium. His other son never awakened but is a sleepwalker, able to perceive magic without wielding it himself.

Reputation : Magnus has been in power for as long as most mages have been part of the Consillium of San Francisco and has always seemed a permanent fixture. People have heard stories though of the conflict between the orders of mages that predated his ascension to Hierarch of the city. Each of the five orders had been in a civil war for control of the city, however in 1985 he took over the Adamantine Arrows and managed to unite the five orders in peace. There are some rumours that he may have killed the previous leader of the Adamantine Arrows to achieve this, but few people would ever say this within his hearing. He rules the city with a strict hand but is usually considered fair and practical minded.

Sexuality : Straight
Player Sexual On's and Offs : https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=99724.0
Character Ons : Romance, stable relationships, the approval of his sons for any new relationship.
Character Offs : Blatant seduction, anything too kinky.

Player : Caehlim (NPC).

Magical knowledge Magnus is slightly more experienced than other mages, being the hierarch and has slightly more magical knowledge than player characters will possess.

Time : Disciple
Life : Disciple
Forces : Adept
Prime :  Master

VonDoom

Query: what ARE the consequences of your true name being known in Awakening? And since we're simplifying things already, is it an element that's worth keeping?

O&O

Caehlim

Quote from: VonDoom on September 30, 2014, 03:13:35 AM
Query: what ARE the consequences of your true name being known in Awakening? And since we're simplifying things already, is it an element that's worth keeping?

I've added this in above which should cover it.

Quote from: Caehlim on September 28, 2014, 02:40:05 PM
Magic works at a distance: You can even cast spells on people or objects that are in distant places, however you need a magical link between you to do this. Knowing a person's true name (what they were named by their parents at birth) or having something that comes from their body (such as hair, blood, fingernails) is always enough unless they're behind a magical ward. If you don't have either of the above you need any two of: An accurate picture, An object that's important to them, Strong shared emotions between you or knowing where they are currently. This is called Sympathetic Magic. It's always harder to cast and is more likely to cause paradox, even if the effect is relatively subtle.

VonDoom

Alright. Another question, then: are you legally obliged to list your full name on documents? As in, if your birthname is Nathaniel David Matthew Blackwell, would it be legit to have keep your legal documents as Nathan Blackwell, birth certificate aside?

Edit: another question. Is there an equivalent to oWoD static magic/sorcerers?

O&O

Caehlim

Quote from: VonDoom on September 30, 2014, 03:34:01 AM
Alright. Another question, then: are you legally obliged to list your full name on documents? As in, if your birthname is Nathaniel David Matthew Blackwell, would it be legit to have keep your legal documents as Nathan Blackwell, birth certificate aside?

Okay, did some research on this. (interestingly enough, best resource I found was a transgender forum where people were discussing namechanges as it relates to gender reassignment).

In Californian law you are allowed to use a different name than your own just by using it and acknowledging that it's you, so long as it is done without intent to defraud and as long as you're not a convict, sex offender, etc. This would include abbreviated first names, omitting middle names etc.

However the Californian Drivers License and ID card include the middle names automatically since September 2010 source and requires a legal court order to change.

A lot of places which insist on using your Drivers license or ID card, would then use your full name. Apparently in recent years it's a lot harder to avoid using your full name.

Edit:
Quote from: VonDoom on September 30, 2014, 03:34:01 AMEdit: another question. Is there an equivalent to oWoD static magic/sorcerers?

Yes. Much like oWoD there is a distinction between True Magic (known as Supernal Magic in Awakening) and Hedge Magic (Generally called sorcery but the name varies in Awakening). True Mages don't really show much interest in it usually and just view it as part of this reality (which they call the Fallen World) having nothing to do with the higher levels of reality. There are also psychics who are slightly different again. Neither of them really come anywhere near close to the power level of the full supernatural races (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling) and actually have a specific rules term for them of Lesser Templates (Which also includes Ghouls, Ghosts and some similar weaker creatures).

VonDoom

Okay, that helps a lot. Thank you. So you could in theory legally change your name to the shortened version (presumably easier than a full change) and get it on IDs. Would probably also raise less warning flags, maybe even be filed differently.

O&O

Caehlim

Quote from: VonDoom on September 30, 2014, 04:28:54 AM
Okay, that helps a lot. Thank you. So you could in theory legally change your name to the shortened version (presumably easier than a full change) and get it on IDs. Would probably also raise less warning flags, maybe even be filed differently.

Yep. It sounds like it's a bit annoying, and takes a bit of time, filling out a lot of forms and paying about $600 to get it all organized so most people wouldn't bother. But for a mage who knows the secret power of names, they're not most people and that's a good investment.

Caehlim

Just reminds me, I ran a Hunters game as a tabletop RPG a while ago. The scariest hunter of all of the PCs was with the I.R.S. as their day job and was good at finding supernatural creatures by hunting down their paper trail and financial discrepancies.

Etherealgirl

AndyZ

Quote from: VonDoom on September 30, 2014, 03:34:01 AM

Edit: another question. Is there an equivalent to oWoD static magic/sorcerers?

I'm reluctant to tell you to get your hands on a book for a freeform thing, but if this is something you want to look into, the nWoD equivalent to Sorcerer is called Second Sight.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Lockepick

I am very much interested in the game! I've got two mage characters I've really been itching to try.  I'll probably get a character jammed out in a couple of days -- really just need a face claim.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

MrAlanNH

CHARACTER WIP
I will continue to work on this as I can, hope to be done in a day or two

True Name : Bernard Smith (* see About section), legally changed to Danforth (Danny) Samuelson
Shadow Name : Trevisanus (Trevi) / The Sectorem
Sex : male
Classification : mage
Relationship Status : single / casual dalliances

Path : Moros
Order : Free Council

Height : 6' 0"
Weight / Body type : 190 lbs
Hair : brown, stylishly tousled
Skin : white
Eyes : brown/hazel
Distinguishing Features : boyish good looks, impish glint in his eye
Standard Clothing : dressy casual: jacket/blazer over colorful shirts, slacks or jeans
Face Claim : Trent Dawson

Likes : the Finer Things in life, making deals, schmoozing, uncovering knowledge, maintaining control
Dislikes : rudeness, dealing in bad faith, willful ignorance, chaotic situations

About : Danny was born several minutes past midnight on January 1st at a free clinic in one of the poorest areas of San Francisco and was given up sight unseen at birth by his mother; his Bernard Smith name was given by the staff in accordance with policy for such cases (a "B" name for second newborn that day).  He spent many years in the foster care system and while never enduring the horrors many orphans did, he also never felt attached or close to anyone.  He observed that while hard work and dedication could lead to success, the path was much easier for those who had many people they could call on for favors and support.  So he set about learning to be a social chameleon, with a gregarious nature and ability to empathize and ingratiate himself into most situations, groups, sub-cultures or social circles.

Using this ability to easily integrate himself into a wide-ranging set of groups Danny cultivates a vast network of friends, contacts, acquaintances and clients as he goes.

Danny changed his name as soon as he achieved legal adulthood, basing his new name on that of colonial alchemist Samuel Danforth.

While his stake in the funeral home is fairly public knowledge, known only to a very select few is that he owns the gentlemen's smoking establishment he frequents with clients.  He has hidden this information by creating a fictitious absentee owner and installing a highly loyal mundane as manager. In addition to using the club to meet clients and schmooze, he also uses very discreet surveillance to obtain information about the members and their guests.

Reputation : Danny is welcome almost everywhere and because of this he is able to move more freely than most between the various Orders, often acting as a neutral broker, mediator, or facilitator making introductions, smoothing things over or acquiring and selling various bits of information and items. 

In addition, Danny using his talents in the paths of Matter, Life and Death, he also provides discreet services creating documents, altering appearances or providing treatments to a client's health and well-being.  To desperate mundanes, he is someone in the shadows who is able to obtain unheard of, highly experimental drugs and medicines to treat difficult or unusual conditions and illnesses.

Danny has a reputation for maintaining confidences, discretion and upholding the deals he makes, never dealing in bad faith.  However, in his eyes any information he uncovers about a client not strictly covered by any agreement/deal is fair game to be utilized for his purposes.

While he often performs his services to benefit the greater good,to foster good-will or establish connections, Danny is also capable of exacting costly payments from his clients; be they in the form of currency, favors or some other sacrifice.

He never uses his information or resources to force someone to do something against their will, however Danny does often present difficult choices as part of his payment, sometimes leading to his clients 'consenting' to activities they would never had chosen to participate in otherwise.

Along with another Mage he is co-owner of a prestigious funeral home in the area and although seldom involved in the day-to-day activities, he often works out of the offices, occasionally meeting contacts and clients there.  More often he is out and about the city gathering his intel and maintaining his relationships wherever and however he needs to.

Another favorite haunt of Danny's, especially for clientle with more high-brow tastes, is a gentlemen's smoking club which serves high-end cigars, liquors and extreme privacy.

Sexuality : bisexual
Player Sexual On's and Offs : https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=196826.0
Character Ons : Topping and/or Dominance, eliciting 'consent' to break limits/taboos, humiliation (as a result of his partners' giving 'consent' to acts they consider off-putting or degrading)
Character Offs : bloodplay, mutilation, snuff, infantilism, hirsute, necrophilia, scat (golden is OK)

Player : MrAlanNH

Magical knowledge An experienced character can have up to 9 levels in the different types of magic. Younger or more inexperienced characters can be made with less. Sleepwalkers do not possess any magical knowledge at all.

Time :
Fate :
Space :
Mind :
Life : Disciple
Spirit :
Matter : Adept
Death : Apprentice
Forces :
Prime :

Caehlim

Quote from: lockepick on September 30, 2014, 02:57:02 PM
I am very much interested in the game! I've got two mage characters I've really been itching to try.  I'll probably get a character jammed out in a couple of days -- really just need a face claim.

Fantastic. Look forward to it.

AndyZ

Hmm...two Obrimos and a Moros so far, and I think folks planning a Thyrsus and an Acanthus, right?

Caehlim

Quote from: AndyZ on September 30, 2014, 07:07:48 PM
Hmm...two Obrimos and a Moros so far, and I think folks planning a Thyrsus and an Acanthus, right?

Don't worry too much about Magnus, he's scripted to die at the start of the game. His character sheet is more just for an example. I think Midori Sadi is the only other oubrimos currently.