Sword Art Redux (Seeking F Characters for Group Balance)

Started by Daril, July 13, 2013, 10:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zergmuncher

I'm a huge SAO fan and I would love to see this get going. Heck I even want in. What do you need from me?

pendarious

well Daril....covering the  1st floor boss fight....well we don't exactly have to do that but I figured we include it just for the pure hell of it.

and Zerg all ya gotta do is come up with a character and as long as you don't try to have dual wielding things should be good to go....of course since we are starting on like floor 1 and jumping around a bit you'll just have to go with the flow I guess *shrugs*
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Daril

You're the boss now, so you have final say over what does and doesn't get included.  I just think we should leave it out since the TV series already covered it, so its pretty much a predetermined outcome unless we deviate from canon.

On another note, I'm wondering if I may need to give m/f relationship for Robin/Hiroko a bit of a chance.  I'm more comfortable playing her as a lesbian but I don't know that'll work overly well when there are four male characters and only two other girls.  Though then again I doubt she'd be getting very intimately involved with anyone right off the bat, so maybe I don't need to worry too much about that at this point.  Though on the other hand I really do want to put her in a compromising situation during her first meeting with another character...

Vaulera

Okay, sorry I haven't been terribly active recently, but I'm currently on vacation to a tropical island with my whole extended family. There's like 22 of us and I'm the oldest of the second generation, so a lot of organizational duties have fallen to me.

1) I would like to start at a mid-ranging level, purely because I don't like roleplaying people as terrified, and I feel like no matter how witty or cynical, a character would feel fear at the earliest levels.

2) World event. As someone who has played lots of MMOs, the best ways to involve vast number of people, all working to complete someone is either a raid boss or a world event, and the latter may be too complicated right off the bat.

3) My kind of character is going to be either the completely cold and methodical, or the cackling, eccentric and near mad, mixed in with comedy either by way of being the Straight guy or the goof ball in the act.

4) Oh lord, my preferences. I like the rough stuff, and the kinky and extreme, when put into a small sentence. However, for a roleplay like this, I usually go down to rough consensual, safe to put on NC.

Jebble212

I'm interested in joining this as well. Do you guys have an OOC thread up yet or a character sheet?

zergmuncher

Is there a character sheet I could use? I'm ready to go.

pendarious

I'll have the character sheet and OOC up sometime this evening.....I've still got to sort out in my mind what sort of sheet role with.....something like the sheets in the last SAO game I was part of or....something entirely different.

EDIT: The OOC thread now exists

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180751.0

Secondary Edit: ok before i make the character sheets I'm going to ask you guys a question.  Question being Would you rather make sheets with stats and edit them every so many floors or  sheets that don't have stats? of course it would be a free form game the stats would be used as a sort of reference so that we can keep track of what your characters are working and such.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

apygoos

Vaulera

Stats as a sort of guideline would be nice, make it a 7 or 8 stat spread, so it's easy to manage having different character formulas and such.

Daril

Mixed feelings on the stats -on one hand I think we ought to have them since they're a big deal in canon, on the other hand I don't want to worry too much about figuring out what they should be for my character.

A couple suggestions: Vaulera doesn't really want to do the bit with Kayaba's announcement, but she's also rather busy right now, so why don't we start that part right now and get it out of the way quickly.  Starting that way will also give people a way to start to get involved (and hopefully generate a degree of commitment) even as they continue to work out additional details.

Also, since we have a lot of players we have the ability to start a lot of threads.  So why don't we start a new thread each time we do a level skip?  That way we can also move forward while giving those who are a bit behind a chance to tie up loose ends (just as long as they're careful not to do anything that would contradict later events).

Lastly if its okay with you Pendarious I'm going to add a note about "seeking female characters" to the thread title.  Granted with this being a more action oriented RPG perhaps gender balance doesn't matter as much as it otherwise might, but it would still be nice if the balance was a bit better than it currently is.

Vaulera

Hmmm. I think I could get behind that. Organizing a bunch of teenagers is difficult, especially considering I haven't gotten much further than that. I agree, figuring out stats could be a pain, but we should do a pretty simple 1-5 value, with a fixed spread of numbers, and then it's simple, just assign in the order you think suits your characters style. Seeking female characters would be good, if two are lesbian. I like sex in roleplays and all, but I tend to affix myself to one in a group roleplay.

apygoos

i agree about balance , especially since apparently theres a couple lesbians.

Daril

While my preference if to play Hiroko as a lesbian, I'm considering changing that due to the gender imbalance.  Even if I do that it's still five boys to three girls though, so yeah... it would definitely be good to get a couple more female characters if its possible.

pendarious

eh since I'll be GM-ing my character will only appear on occasion probably...but as for how stats will work...I'm going to do extensive research and actually set up the stat sheet like the real SAO stats....which aren't that complicated anyway.

Edit: ok so the character sheets are incredibly easy to keep track of in fact the only real stats are your level, HP, and skill mastery

Daril

It would still be nice to have more than three female characters total though, even if its not necessarily critical.

Any thoughts on the idea of starting a new thread each time we do a level skip?  I think it would be a good idea (and its not like we need to skimp on threads a lot with this many players involved).

pendarious

While I do agree that it would be nice to have more females (even if it's just characters not necassarily players) I don't see it as an overly critical issue. In fact if players think they can handle it you all can have at least two characters each.

Ok here is what my character sheet looks like:

Player (Real world identity): Yuuya Saitou

Screen Name: Kenjirou (Kenji for short)

Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Personality: Kenjirou is to put it bluntly a cynical yet goofy person. He seems laid back and easy going with a love of teasing people and flirting with girls though he often goes a bit too far in terms of teasing (though he's always careful with physical contact to avoid setting off the harassment alarm) once he enters battle though he is well more serious than usual.

Floor 1:

Level: 1

HP: 1000

Equipment:

Iron Battle Axe

Cotton shirt
Cotton pants
Leather boots
Fingerless leather gloves

Skills:

Two Handed Battle Axe: 0/1000

Sword Skills:

Slant
Vertical
Horizontal
Uppercut

Ok I figure we'll start out with a simple set up like this and then every time the characters do quests, beat mobs, or beat bosses you'll add what you got to your character sheets. Whenever you gain a level you'll get 100 hp (or several hundred in the case of gaining multiple levels for entire floor jumps) and I'll randomly give you items out of the drops or you can buy items at shops just like actual MMO's of course I'll edit mine at random since Kenjirou will be more of an NPC than an actual character I find it easier to manage a game when I'm not actually running a full time character.

also after  we  get to a higher floor and Vaulera joins us full time we'll help her calculate her stuff to keep her up with everyone else.

Links to help with picking skills and sword skills (Extra skills are off limits until the second floor and Unique Skills are off limits period)

http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Skills

http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_Skills

Daril

Cool, I might try to do up a second character later on once things have gotten going.

I can try to do up a Level One profile for Robin/Hiroko, but are we actually planning to do much on level one?  I was thinking we were going to do a few posts for people's reactions to Kayaba's announcement then quickly skip to level two.

Since katana is considered an extra skill, are we going to considering Yumi an extra skill as well?  And if so what would be the prerequisite -longbows or recurves (Yumis are a kind of recurve, albeit oddly shaped ones, but they're also big)?  (Ideally I'd like to get Robin/Hiroko using a Yumi early, since I feel the more time she has to get used to other styles of bows the less reason she has to go back to a traditional Japanese style bow.  But as noted, katana is considered an extra skill, so it kind of seems like a Yumi ought to be as well.)

pendarious

well yes we are just doing a few posts for the reactions to Kayaba's speech and then skipping up to the second floor I just used Level 1 on my character here as an example though I'll be very quickly updating it.

as for Yumi yes that would be an extra skill with a mastery of Recurve bows to achieve.

Daril

Right.  Now just to clarify: you say no extra skills before level two.  Does that mean she can use a Yumi when she first appears in level two (I'd generally assumed we'd start sometime after people had started exploring the level) or would she need to pick up the skill during gamplay there (at the earliest)?

I know I'm focusing a bit heavily on this particular issue, but I do have reasons for wanting her to use a Yumi early on if at all possible* so I just want to make sure I've thoroughly clarified whether or not that's possible.

*Those reasons amount to it suiting her character, since she's a bit traditionally Japanese and has worked as a miko in real life (extra fetish fuel, yay), plus she's terrible at close up fighting and I think her struggling to put up a decent fight with some little dagger while trying to keep the gigantic seven foot tall bow she's holding in her other hand out of the way would really drive that home.  ;)

pendarious

I mean she'd have to pick up the skill in game play on the second floor.

Daril

Edit: Had a profile for Robin here.  After some revision I decided to just post a Floor One profile to this thread and post her Floor Two profile to the Character Thread after it's up.  The Floor One profile can be found on the next page.

pendarious

ok since we will do a few posts in response to Kayaba and then skip to floor 2 then your Level will actually be somewhere between 10-14 so you'll have something like 1500-1900 HP as for non combat skills you'd have at least one or two maybe three.

as for history I decided not to include a section for that so as to add a feel of mystery to each character that the players can reveal at their leasure.

Jebble212

Player (Real world identity): Ken Sugisaki

Screen Name: Herald

IRL Appearance:

Game Character Appearance:

Personality: Herald is greedy to say the least, his interests are rare items and Col. He gets along well with most players he encounters yet avoids close relationships. His self-confidence is dependent on those around him. He draws happiness from making others laugh even at his own expense. Herald struggles to stay with any one group for any extended period of time due to his fear of loss and despairing nature. The only thing herald cares more about the monetary gain is life, even that of strangers.

Floor 1:

Level: 1

HP: 1000

Equipment:

Iron Naginata

Gray V-neck shirt
Black Cotton pants
Brown Leather boots
Brown leather gloves

Skills:

Two-handed Assault Spear: 0/1000

Sword Skills:

Slant
Vertical
Horizontal
Uppercut

Daril

Is level 10-14 not a bit high for only the second floor?  I don't think anyone got over level 100 despite getting up to floor seventy five.  Or are we assuming levels go up a lot more slowly later in the game?

Also wonder if that three hit combo attack is too OP for a character at this level given what I've been reading up on with regards to Sword Skills.

pendarious

no level 10 was said to be the minimum requirement to even stand against the 1st floor's boss's ads (Minions) so 10-14 is about right for the second floor.