News:

Main Menu

New hobbies to suggest

Started by CmdrRenegade, January 22, 2011, 02:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CmdrRenegade

I used to be big into reenactment, tabletop wargames, and tabletop RPGs.  However, many of these things have fallen by the wayside for two reasons:  1) Expense 2) Inability to find anyone to play with because they're too busy all the time

Rather than stew in my bitterness, I've decided to just sell or give it away and look for new hobbies in which I can get some of my more creative bugs out.  The two conditions I have are this: 1) I have to be able to do it without spending much money 2) It doesn't require a social component to enjoy.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

AtlasEros

There are a lot of resources on line for finding people to play tt rpgs with.
O/O

Oniya

Depending on what direction your creativity takes:  drawing/painting takes very little outlay, as do various needlecrafts (they aren't just for fair maidens in towers any more ;) )
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

jouzinka

I'll echo drawing/painting. I recently picked it up myself, so if you want, we can do the beginning tumbles together. ;)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Wyrd

Learning to play the guitar is my suggestion. It's very easy to find a cheap acoustic or a starter electric kit with an amp. Learning books are also fairly cheap. I've been playing guitar and composing music for over 15 years and I'm still learning. It's a hobby that will never bore you once you commit.
Ragtime Dandies!

Serephino

I started making candles.  There are all kinds of things you can do with them, but I only bothered to learn the basics.  Starting up and getting all the equipment you need can be kind of expensive, but you can improvise with some of it.  Like instead of a double broiler I have a sauce pan and a metal bowl.

CmdrRenegade

Quote from: AtlasEros on January 22, 2011, 04:19:19 PM
There are a lot of resources on line for finding people to play tt rpgs with.
I appreciate the thought but the issue wasn't finding people, but finding people who would manage their time.  I grew tired of the flakeouts, sudden job shifts, spousal emotional meltdowns, and endless child drama.  I decided the best thing was to walk away. 

I don't think candle making is my bag, but I think I might suggest that to my mother who has no hobbies anymore.  She likes candles and as far as I'm concerned needs something to do.  Guitar sounds interesting but I'm afraid of people complaining about noise.  How has that worked out for you? As for drawing/painting I did these as elective during my undergrad and I did enjoy them.  I guess my next question is what kinds of things do you draw/paint/write songs about? Where do you get your inspirations?
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Wyrd

I began to learn guitar when I was very young. When I got my own small place where I am know I built my self a sound proof room. Although, I sunk a lot of money making a more professional studio and sound proof area, their are places on the web that will show you how to spend less then $100 to sound proof a room. Plus, Acoustic guitars aren't very loud. 
Ragtime Dandies!

Oniya

As far as what to draw/paint/write songs about - whatever crosses your mind, whatever's outside your window, whatever you wish was outside your window...  Bliss has been doing a daily writing prompt, if you need a random 'push'.  I imagine it could be used as a drawing or painting prompt with a little thought.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

jouzinka

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 24, 2011, 08:39:03 PMI don't think candle making is my bag, but I think I might suggest that to my mother who has no hobbies anymore.  She likes candles and as far as I'm concerned needs something to do.  Guitar sounds interesting but I'm afraid of people complaining about noise.  How has that worked out for you? As for drawing/painting I did these as elective during my undergrad and I did enjoy them.  I guess my next question is what kinds of things do you draw/paint/write songs about? Where do you get your inspirations?
Well, personally I draw a lot of inspiration from books, music, movies... but Oniya is right. Just look out of the window. ;)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Wyrd

When I write songs I go outside and just empty my mind of everything. The winter always puts so many thoughts in my head.
Ragtime Dandies!

KaiiVii

I've had stories in my head that I wanted to get on paper since I was young, so that's where I get writing inspiration but also music, listen to things and see if you can find a larger story in the song or lyrics. Cooking can be fun, as can sculpting. You can buy oven bake/no dry clay fairly cheep at a hobby store (maybe even walmart?) and the ideas are endless. I also sew, make jewelry and well...forum RP xD

What about photography? You can do a lot with a simple digital camera and some free software.

I like to take walks too when I need to be inspired.
"Whatever you are, be a good one"- Abe Lincoln

On/Off/Plot/etc Thread :)

Hemingway

If you're open to more unusual options, there are two things members of my family have recently taken up that are manly beyond words, and are less expensive and difficult than you might think. Leather crafting and blacksmithing. The former is obviously the most flexible and least complex, but the latter isn't as complicated and difficult as one might think at first. Granted, getting the equipment you need to get started is an investment, especially in the case of blacksmithing. Who would've thought anvils could be so expensive?

CmdrRenegade

Quote from: Hemingway on January 25, 2011, 03:40:15 PM
If you're open to more unusual options, there are two things members of my family have recently taken up that are manly beyond words, and are less expensive and difficult than you might think. Leather crafting and blacksmithing. The former is obviously the most flexible and least complex, but the latter isn't as complicated and difficult as one might think at first. Granted, getting the equipment you need to get started is an investment, especially in the case of blacksmithing. Who would've thought anvils could be so expensive?

One of my good friends is an SCA member who made and maintained much of his group's armor though it was mostly leather.  How would you do blacksmithing though? Wouldn't you need a backyard forge?
Quote from: KaiiVii on January 25, 2011, 11:30:15 AM
I've had stories in my head that I wanted to get on paper since I was young, so that's where I get writing inspiration but also music, listen to things and see if you can find a larger story in the song or lyrics. Cooking can be fun, as can sculpting. You can buy oven bake/no dry clay fairly cheep at a hobby store (maybe even walmart?) and the ideas are endless. I also sew, make jewelry and well...forum RP xD

What about photography? You can do a lot with a simple digital camera and some free software.

I like to take walks too when I need to be inspired.

The no dry stuff is what needs to fired in kilns right? I used some of that back in high school.  It was great fun.  Cooking is something I'm already trying to do more of, to both eat better and wine and dine.  Photography doesn't sound bad either on it's own or as a use for subject matter for drawing/painting.  I do wonder about the expense of the camera though.

Oniya

Actually, they make clay that can be dried in a regular kitchen oven.  Check your local craft store in the kids crafts.  As for digicams, check out Overstock.com.  there's literally something to fit any budget there.  I saw a 12 megapixel for under $60, and a 640x480 for $15.  Naturally, the more you're able to spend, the greater your options are, but even a 2 megapixel camera can get you some nice shots.

Dizzi

Camera's can get up there, but at the same time, I have seen some amazing photo's taken with simple phone's

I would reccomend: http://photofocus.com/ for some cool photography tips/camera reviews

As well as; http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/ for inspiration

One thing to keep in mind is an OPTICAL zoom.  Not digital zoom. 

Hemingway

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 27, 2011, 11:35:40 PM
One of my good friends is an SCA member who made and maintained much of his group's armor though it was mostly leather.  How would you do blacksmithing though? Wouldn't you need a backyard forge?

It doesn't have to be anything major. This family member of mine uses a small metal "pot" that I think was just scrap metal he bought for virtually nothing. Seems sufficient for making knives and such. I think in terms of cost, it's probably more time-consuming ( finding parts you can actually use, and figuring out how to do it ), than a monteray cost, even if it isn't exactly free.

KaiiVii

Yeah I meant the Oven-bake stuff. I suggest Scuplty just because that's what I know.

I love to cook because I get to decide what I eat ;)

Cameras, even basic family digital cameras can get great shots. Anything that can shoot over 3Meg will do you pretty well. A cell phone camera does me well for Photo references for drawing.
"Whatever you are, be a good one"- Abe Lincoln

On/Off/Plot/etc Thread :)