News:

Main Menu

Immortality

Started by Vekseid, June 26, 2007, 02:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Immortal Jellyfish

Quote from: articleWhile colonial animals can have their immortality, solitary individuals are doomed to die. Hydrozoan cnidarians usually have a complex life cycle, wherein a colonial stage leads to the sexually mature, solitary, adult stage. Eggs and sperm from solitary, sexual, adult medusa (jellyfish) develop into an embryo and planula larva, and they then form the colonial polyp stage. Medusae are formed asexually from polyps. These medusae have a limited lifespan and die shortly after releasing their gametes (Martin, 1997; Figure 1).

The hydrozoan Turritopsis nutricula has evolved a remarkable variation on this theme, and in so doing appears to have achieved immortality. The solitary medusa of this species can revert to its polyp stage after becoming sexually mature (Bavestrello et al., 1992; Piraino et al., 1996). In the laboratory, 100% of these medusae regularly undergo this change. Thus, it is possible that organismic death does not occur in this species!

Llianna

Wow! No way!! That is really neat...jelly fish are something arent they?

kongming

Not only can jellyfish be immortal, but here in AU they can make humans very mortal.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Cherri Tart

*giggles* i thought, for like half a sec that it read orgasmic death not oraganismic death
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Elvi

This is where I am supposed to *sigh* and *tut* and tell you that you have a one track mind.
But I am afraid that I did exactly the same thing.....I think the dreams are getting to me Cherri....*wipes forhead on her hanky*
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Cherri Tart

*eyes hanky, notices that it's red*  yep - it must be the dreams.  And don't forget to keep repeating your mantra before bedtime :)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Hunter

Would that be the one that goes like: "Oh fuck!  Oh fuck! Oh fuck!"   ;)