Gauging Interest - 4E Eberron Adult campaign...

Started by woegman, June 30, 2010, 11:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woegman

Howdy all!  I have had a real urge lately to run a campaign in my favorite D&D setting, Eberron.  My tentative name for the campaign is "Sharn by Lamplight", and the campaign will take place in the seedier sections of Sharn, the City of Towers...specifically in the Lower Menthis Plateau, home to the Firelight district.  I am open to character ideas, so long as they have good reason to reside and adventure in this area known for vice and seediness.

Now for the caveat - though I'd like to run this as a 3.5 campaign, since I am most familiar with that rule set, I would like to eventually turn my love of the setting and for writing into something publishable (clearly, none of what happens in this campaign will be included), and to do that, I really need to force myself to learn 4E, since all fictional novels published by WotC have "upgraded" to the new rules and conventions.  I have all of the following books, and their contents will be considered allowable for this game:  Player's Handbooks 1&2, Monster Manuals 1&2, DMGs 1&2, the Eberron Player's Guide, and the Eberron Campaign guide.  I haven't gotten around to getting the various Powers books, so will have to exclude them from consideration.

All that said, I am not an absolute stickler for the rules, and most of my story lines tend to be heavily role driven, not roll driven.  I'd like to keep the game small at first, maybe two or three players.  There will definitely be mature content, including sexual content, but I will respect player boundaries and avoid anything they specify as not acceptable.  I'd also like to respectfully reserve a DM's right to Rule Zero, by which I mean that I will sometimes make snap decisions that may occasionally contradict rules or dice rolls, so long as it serves the story to do so.

So, any interest in this?  It may take me a short while after generating interest to launch the game, but I am definitely interested in doing so as soon as I am comfortable with the characters and players.

Ramael

Given my recent interest in D+D, I'd put my interest forward for this, but only casually for now, being as I'm a newb to the topic and have never played the tabletop game (spinoffs and online spinoffs only).

I'd like to become a touch more familiar with DnD, more specifically the worlds and settings (Eberron being a good example).

Creeper

I am also interested, though I think I'm the only one on this board who likes 4E :(
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Creeper on June 30, 2010, 03:01:53 PM
I am also interested, though I think I'm the only one on this board who likes 4E :(

To me, 4E isn't Dungeons and Dragons, but rather WoW ported to paper-and-pencil.  Note that I'm not dissing Wow...obviously, the game has a lot of followers and I respect that.  But to me Second Edition was the last edition of true Dungeons and Dragons.  Third and higher ported video game and multiplayer-online into it, making it something different.

Or maybe I'm just getting old...

Ixy

I'm a big fan of the setting, though I have limited knowledge (as can be attested to by many, much to my shame).  I've been out for a bit, unfortunately, but I am applying to 1 other game (which will probably not be available to me) and am rekindling one other connection. 

Your description of your approach to the game is certainly preferable to me as a roleplayer.  May we PM a couple of character concepts for consideration?

Likewise, regarding rules-- I could learn 4e, but I'm far more comfortable with Pathfinder or 3.5.  Still, rules are secondary to me as long as I don't feel completely useless :)  I'm glad that this isn't going to be a big discussion of which is better or worse, because it's clear that from your perspective, you'd rather have interesting characters than debate the rules.

woegman

I'm certainly open to PMs with character concepts - send away!  Like I said, I am not the biggest fan of 4E myself, but I do have writing aspirations and I really should make an effort to learn the system that the universe I want to write about is set in.  I figure the best way to familiarize myself with the changes is to jump in and give it a shot.  Interesting characters are first and foremost, though - hell, a good portion of the game is likely to be diceless, save in certain situations where I feel checks are warranted or needed.

Ptolemy

Ramael

So...a character concept doesn't have to be a pre-rolled character sheet?

Kunoichi

Apparently not.  It can be something as simple as 'I'm going to be an Elven Ranger', or something a little more complicated, like 'I'm going to be a Valenar Elf Druid of the Siyyal Marain tradition, come to Sharn in an attempt to emulate her patron ancestor'.

...Incidentally, I'm rather interested in this game, but also not sure what I would want to play...

Pandamonium

If I haven't gotten into D&D before then does that rule me out for this? o3o

Scya

I am also interested and have some prior experience with D&D4e
A&A https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=78650.0

A bit braindead at the moment so please excuse longer wait times then usual.

Tackyhillbilly

I've got some experience with 4e and am interested.

Creeper

I know that you do not have access to the individual books, but would you allow them if made in the Dungeons and Dragons Insider Character Builder that wizards of the coast has provided? It includes the full descriptions of the powers, their sources, and other information. Any alterations outside of standard character creation get labled as homebrew. There's a free version of it that goes to levels 1-3 here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new/tool/characterbuilder

Barring that, I have a few character concepts:

Halfling Rogue: She's a Picker, a person who finds useless junk and sells it to whomever she can. Business is bad, and the starving girl is sick of living from hand to mouth. She's ready for a big score, even if it's dangerous.

Goliath Paladin: A worshiper of Arawai, she has traveled to Sharn to set up an shelter for the street children. It's surprising the number of heads she has to stomp to get her way.

Half-Orc Warlord: A disgraced commander of Thrane who got her whole unit killed in the last war. Traveled to Sharn to drink herself to death in obscurity. Booze is awfully expensive though...

Goblin Warlock: Developed an Aberrant Mark and is being hunted down for it. Hiding in human lands to escape her pursuers.

Human Fighter: Used to be a apprentice artificer, before a ill-planned trip to Xen'Drik got her tongue torn out by goblins. Though her familiar speaks for her now, she's learned a valuable lesson; Anything more complicated than a wall of steel and a huge freakin' mace is useless in the face of true combat.

Shifter Invoker: Originally came to Sharn to deliver a wedding invitation to her sister. Unfortunately, the sister has gone missing...

Gnome Wizard: They said she was mad! They said that making one giant warforged weapon was inefficient and illegal! Well, once the gnome had the funds, she'll show them it could be done! She'll show them all! WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Elf Druid: A scion of a Dragonmarked house hiding from an arranged marriage.

NotoriusBEN

4e is actually pretty easy to learn, despite my massive wall of text below. WotC may have pruned and streamlined things a bunch, but every character is built the same way, save different powers and such. Combat has a bit more "miniature orientented, but with PbP games, no need to buy that stuff.

Probably the *biggest* change from 3.5 to 4e is the introduction of turn, encounter, and daily powers.
At level 1, a character has 2 or 3 turn powers, 1 encounter power, and 1 daily power. Turn powers are things you can do every turn (a warrior can cleave or power attack), an encounter power is something that can be used once per encounter/fight/5minutes (warrior's viper strike, which does more damage to the target, and can prevent an enemy from moving around) and daily powers (can only be used once per day or extended rest). Dailies are the big signature moves, that *usually* grant some kind of effect even if you miss your attack. Some grant 3W damage and are reliable (roll your weapon's damage die 3 times, you dont expend the power if you miss), some grant half damage, some make area effects, etc. And there are some dailies that are *really* powerful that are all or nothing affairs. As a wizard, you'd probably have 4 or 5 spells a day at level 1 in 3.5e. In 4e, your spells are the turn, encounter, and daily powers. Magic missile is a turn power and thus can be cast *all day long*. Flaming hands, *every five minutes*. Fireball? Acid Arrow? every day.

As you level up, you get access to new powers and add more to your pool of abilities and you can switch out powers from the list you have available to you. I'll admit you dont get mechanical deviation of such orders of magnitude as 3.5e, but there are builds and power choices available to each class. With things in the PHB1, You can make a wizard be a nuker or an AOE controller, fighters can Sword 'n Board or Two-hand it, warlocks can be made damage over time or debilitators, etc.

Another thing WotC did was split the classes into groups. Defenders, Leaders, Strikers, and Controllers. Defenders are your typical fighters, paladins, meat shields. Leaders are Clerics, Artificers, Warlords, peeps that heal. Strikers are your Rogues, Rangers, Warlocks, damage dealers. Controllers are your Wizards, Invokers, Druids (now?), area of effect peeps.  Each class has a different power source (martial, arcane, divine, primal) that gives the overall flavor and fluff of how you do a particular job. Looking at leaders, Clerics are your divine healers and zombie smashers, Artificers attack from a distance and give buffs and arcane healing with magic devices, Warlords are like sergeants that allow for tactical advantage on the battlefield and inspire your team to push on and dig deeper than they thought they could (healing).

Plus, WotC has made a character generator program to help build characters in like.. 2minutes? *much* better than flipping through pages, I asure you.

All that said, Im thinking of an artificer. I'll get him posted later today.

woegman

Wow, glad to see this is generating a lot of interest!  Thanks NotoriousBEN for the write-up...you sound pretty knowledgeable about 4E.   Question for you – would you consider being a co-DM as opposed to a standard player?  I could definitely use the technical help as I get used to the system, and I am not opposed to having you play a character that assists the party as necessary.  How does that sound?  I’ll do most of the story work, I just may need a little help with the tech details (balancing encounters, skill challenges, etc).

In keeping with 4E "Standard" size party, I'd like to have 5 players max (not counting the possibility of a co-DM character), at least to start with.  I know I initially asked for concepts to be PM’d to me (and thanks those who did, some great ideas in there!) but as this grows I’ve realized that it’s best to build the group in the open, so that we can ensure a good balance to the party.  I don’t necessarily think the group needs to be “pure” party built (ie, one Defender, two Strikers, one Controller, one Leader), but it can be difficult for an entire party of rogues to handle some challenges.   I’m not expecting full character write-ups at the moment, but keeping in mind N-BEN’s list, a good balance of characters from the different class groupings.

Another reason I’d like to discuss the characters in this thread openly is that I feel it would work best if they all have some sort of pre-established connection before game.  Perhaps some of the characters have worked together, some may be on-again-off-again lovers, some may be related in other unmentioned ways.  The point is, I’d like all the characters to have a reason for associating with each other, a vested interest in the rest of the party’s well being.  I don’t believe in the alignment system – one of the things I love about Eberron is that it emphasizes the “shades of gray” mentality when it comes to such things.  That said, having a party that knows each other and WANTS each other to succeed prevents the “chaotic evil backstabbing thief who ruins everyone’s fun” syndrome that occasionally pops up.  Agreed?

My other concern is minor, at best, but I want to put it out there so there is no confusion – I am definitely, assuredly male, and the interest in this game thus far has been predominantly male.  This is also a game that will have sexual situations (Firelight being a red-light district).  Now, I don’t have ANY problem writing sex scenes with other guys – I have been told that I write woman pretty damned well, and I find writing steamy sex scenes fun.  I also have no problems with guys playing girls, so long as they also do so well.  I just want to make sure that everyone else involved is ok with these things, before accepting them as a player.

Which brings me to the last bit of this long bloody message – picking players.    I’d like to see a writing sample/forum game that each prospective player is in – no offense meant to anyone, but certain posting styles clash with my own, and I just want to make sure we all play nice together.  I would prefer players that are at least passing familiar with the setting – Eberron is a much different world than most other D&D settings, especially when it comes to story related fluff…racial roles in society in particular.  A favorite saying of mine is “Eberron – where the elves are the marauding hordes and the orcs are the tree-hugging hippies.”  ;)  I really don’t want to exclude anyone who is truly interested in playing just because they don’t have an encyclopedic knowledge of Eberron, though…so I would ask that if you are totally new to the world, you put yourself on the standby list and follow the game for a bit, so that you get a feel for the world.  Does all this sound fair? 

Ramael

Quote from: woegman on July 01, 2010, 11:28:17 AM

In keeping with 4E "Standard" size party, I'd like to have 5 players max (not counting the possibility of a co-DM character), at least to start with.  I know I initially asked for concepts to be PM’d to me (and thanks those who did, some great ideas in there!) but as this grows I’ve realized that it’s best to build the group in the open, so that we can ensure a good balance to the party.  I don’t necessarily think the group needs to be “pure” party built (ie, one Defender, two Strikers, one Controller, one Leader), but it can be difficult for an entire party of rogues to handle some challenges.   I’m not expecting full character write-ups at the moment, but keeping in mind N-BEN’s list, a good balance of characters from the different class groupings.

Righto. Here's my PM to woeg, then;

Quote from: Ramael on June 30, 2010, 05:58:26 PM
OK, so I've done a quick bit of research, and I have a rough idea for a character. There's definately some stuff that needs smoothing out in this, but I hope this will do for a rough draft.

I wanted to play a human rogue, who spent his time in Center Bridge. He is the brother of a noble in one of the houses, and has been dispatched (after much sibling bickering and alpha-male horn locking) to the Firelight district to be the eyes and ears of his ambitious brother, who has heard of a gathering of powerful individuals in the Firelight district and wants to keep his finger to the pulse. Having sent spies to most other parts of Sharn, he is running low on manpower, thus resorting to asking a favour of his brother, my character.

My character isn't much interested in political intrigue, but is bored most of the time and, although he is loathe to admit it, enjoys being sent on "missions" and finds the prospect of the Red Light District distinctly appealing to him. He has private aspirations of his own, and likes to have his noble brother in debt to him in any way. My character keeps his own small net of contacts and aides, and tries to expand his tiny personal net of power when he can, and entertains himself with notions of getting completely out of the city with his own gang, free from the bickerings of Sharn and his brother.

Thoughts? I've left the noble family nameless for now, as I wasn't sure which family would best suit these kind of characters (or even if it mattered much). Also maybe I could find a better reason for my character being dispatched by his noble brother other than "having heard of a gathering of powerful individuals". That to come.

Now I see one of the possible benefits of keeping my character vague - given the write up, he could be either Striker (typical rogue), Controller, or even Leader, with a bit of fiddling, and maybe changing his class.

Another reason I’d like to discuss the characters in this thread openly is that I feel it would work best if they all have some sort of pre-established connection before game.  Perhaps some of the characters have worked together, some may be on-again-off-again lovers, some may be related in other unmentioned ways.  The point is, I’d like all the characters to have a reason for associating with each other, a vested interest in the rest of the party’s well being.

Good idea for any RP, I think. Wouldn't mind seeing some other character profiles for this reason.

My other concern is minor, at best, but I want to put it out there so there is no confusion – I am definitely, assuredly male, and the interest in this game thus far has been predominantly male.  This is also a game that will have sexual situations (Firelight being a red-light district).  Now, I don’t have ANY problem writing sex scenes with other guys – I have been told that I write woman pretty damned well, and I find writing steamy sex scenes fun.  I also have no problems with guys playing girls, so long as they also do so well.  I just want to make sure that everyone else involved is ok with these things, before accepting them as a player.

Not really a massive problem.

Which brings me to the last bit of this long bloody message – picking players.    I’d like to see a writing sample/forum game that each prospective player is in – no offense meant to anyone, but certain posting styles clash with my own, and I just want to make sure we all play nice together.  I would prefer players that are at least passing familiar with the setting – Eberron is a much different world than most other D&D settings, especially when it comes to story related fluff…racial roles in society in particular.  A favorite saying of mine is “Eberron – where the elves are the marauding hordes and the orcs are the tree-hugging hippies.”  ;)

PMs to come then, but haven't had the oppurtunity to get involved with any group fantasy-set RP's yet. Not for want of trying!

I really don’t want to exclude anyone who is truly interested in playing just because they don’t have an encyclopedic knowledge of Eberron, though…so I would ask that if you are totally new to the world, you put yourself on the standby list and follow the game for a bit, so that you get a feel for the world.  Does all this sound fair?

...I guess that means me, and it does sound fair enough if I put myself in your shoes.

woegman

I just want to post real quick and say that I am really impressed with Ramael - he independently researched the setting, despite not having familiarity with it, and came up with a good opening concept that fits the setting and feel of the game.  That's above and beyond, especially since this was a gauging interest thread and not yet in the planning phases when he sent it.

Ramael, I definitely want you to stick around and keep up with the game.  If past experiences have taught me anything, its that players, even the best of them, have to drop out all the time.  The efforts you have made thus far have impressed me, and while I still would prefer the initial core players to have a good grasp on Eberron, I wonder if you would consider a different kind of role in the game, at first.  Firelight is a popular place, with lots of different people therein.  Normally, these people would be played/voiced by me - but perhaps you'd consider playing a few minor roles, as you get to know the game world?  Essentially, I would PM you with a character concept, their goals and motivations, and an outline of the actions they might take...but when in the game itself, you would step up to play those characters, following the rough guidelines I provide.  This will give you some experience in the world, and when the time comes to bring a character of your own in, you should have a good understanding of the setting.  What do you think?

Ixy

Let me say, first off, that I think all Creeper's concepts sound pretty awesome :)

Also, here's the concept I'm currently working with:

Renegade spellcaster human: Born into the disciplined ranks of a dragonmarked house, this young woman showed strong potential early-on as a mage, despite her rebellious streak and morbid interests.  When her dragonmark emerged, however, it was immense and-- to her mother's horror-- aberrant.  To contain the chaos that would inevitably result from such scandal, the girl was cast out and threatened with death should she return.  Among fellow renegade casters and dark street-cults, she's found her calling: (undecided: either Dread Necromancer or Sorceress)

Next: As far as group dynamics: sounds fine to me.  I will post between 1-3 times per day, most of the time, with no more than 1 day missed in-between.  Guys and girls are both okay with me as far as writing goes.  I also have no problem with letting people know what I'm not comfortable with, so we should be good to go.

Lastly, a writing sample... I tend to get a little enthusiastic with description sometimes-- hopefully this is okay.

A hanging brass lantern illumines the inn's hall with a soft amber glow, casting teasing, mysterious shadows and warming the details of the corridor... much like Joli's smoldering smile as she sways her way down the hallway and casts a coy glance over her shoulder when she pauses at the door.  She inserts the slim iron key into the well-oiled, but simple, lock, and gives it a twist.  She closes the door behind as she glides inside, but-- almost as if by accident-- the catch does not quite close and the door stands apart from its jamb.

Much like the Tavern itself, the room is rustic and charming, the furniture of polished maple varnished to a deep brown gloss and the woven rug a worn, faded maroon.  The bed is not huge, but it looks quite comfortable, topped with a clean quilt stitched from cotton scraps over white linens.  A rocker in the corner sits beside an open trunk where several extra wool blankets wait like patient servants.  The only light is from a fire that must have been lit when they first ordered the room a half-our earlier, but it sheds an orange, flickering glow and a welcoming, pervasive warmth through the small room with the sweet perfume of burning cedar and ash-wood.  Rain still patters at the black square of a window and the broad roof above, a rhythmic percussion that soothes and stirs the mind to shake off its preoccupations and simply listen.

By the time the door is opened, Joli has already piled her gear in the shadow-cast corner by the trunk and hung her still-damp cloak on a peg by the fire.  She doesn't seem to notice, and is working at the buckles of the leather cuirass over her body.  She speaks softly, sharing her thoughts with a measure of shyness.  "My uncle's armor... not very flattering, I know... I never thought I'd wear it.  And I never thought I'd take it off in front of anyone." 

woegman

Awesome, Ixy - I love both the character concept and the writing sample!  Consider yourself in!

woegman

Creeper, got your writing sample, and it was great!  I am really, really fond of the following idea:

Human Fighter: Used to be a apprentice artificer, before a ill-planned trip to Xen'Drik got her tongue torn out by goblins. Though her familiar speaks for her now, she's learned a valuable lesson; Anything more complicated than a wall of steel and a huge freakin' mace is useless in the face of true combat.

Talk about an interesting character to plot for!  Change the tongue torn out by goblins to being torn out by cultists, and its perfect for the story I am building. Does that work for you?

Creeper

That works fine and dandy for me! Cultists it is. What level will we be starting out as?

Note to others: I'd be willing to change my character's class to paladin if you REALLY want the fighter class.

woegman

First level.  I like Eberron being a relatively low level campaign world, with the heroes rising up to greater ranks, becoming the new legends of the realm.  :)  Please keep that in mind all, while building your character concepts.  Ix's fledgling mage, newly fled with an aberrant mark, and Creeper's failed artificer restarting life as a fighter/paladin are both great first level concepts.

Another quick note, that I should have thought of before.  I am NOT a stickler for Experience Points Awarded per the Book.  I tend to give XP for lots of things beyond challenges and combat, so it is likely you will level fairly quickly, at least through the first part of the campaign.  If that bothers you, best you are warned now.

Creeper

Cool beans. Character sheet is done using only the sources you mentioned previously. File is avalible in PDF or in the charactor builder file type. How would you like to recieve it?

Edit: Actually just look here: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2113

Tackyhillbilly

Eladrin Rogue, Merelus. Beauty loving child of the Fey, leaving his home behind to seek out what life is like beyond the displaced cities of the Eladrin. Most likely one of the lost branch of House Phiarlin, bearing the Mark of Shadow.

If someone else wants the Striker Role, I can switch over to a leader. Probably a Warlord, an injured old soldier from the last war whose just trying to get by without ending up dead.

---

Sample (From an old Exalted Game)

Kalan awoke easily, comfortably, in contrast to the past few nights. The bed wasn't that uncomfortable, and the smell Jasmine was comforting. With her eyes closed, she could pretend that she was back in the Manor of the Ragara Family, or the 'small' Townhouse she had taken to dwelling in once she had accumulated sufficient wealth. Unfortunately, she knew that wasn't the case. When she opened her eyes, she could be in the 'Jasmine of Dawn.'

"Life goes on, and I must adapt."

That had been Kalan's mantra since she gave up on Exalting. The Elemental Dragons had not found her worthy of raising up. Most crumbled. Kalan refused. She adapted, moved on, making herself useful. She had clawed her way back. And then, she Exalted. But not the way she was supposed to. Not into one of the choosen of the Elemental Dragons. Instead, she was what was called 'Anathema.' She knew the title was wrong, but it put her at risk. And in the end, it had forced her to flee. So, she would just have to do it again. She was not about to give up. The Exaltation had given her new options. Kalan would make the most of them. Kalan was looking for a place that could serve in that regard. Dawn would not be it, most likely. She might be able to forge it into what she required. She had been talented before the Exaltation, and with the power that she had been given, even the Materials she had here could be crafted. But why? There were other places, other things to see. Dawn had yet to offer her anything but barely acceptable service.

There it is now.

Kalan pulled a robe from one of her bags, adjusting it around herself and tying it closed. She reached to her nightstand, combing her hair.

"Yes, I would prefer to have my Breakfast brought up. If you have anything else to ask, feel free to enter."

Kalan would not have let another Dynast see her like this. Just awoken from sleep, hair still unprepared, in a simple, unadorned robe. But Jarem was hardly that. He was little more then a servant, and she would not force herself to talk through the door to keep him from seeing her before she was completely ready to face the world.

NotoriusBEN

I can certainly help with the mechanics and balancing, and don't fear that I'll rules-lawyer (cause I hate that guy). I'd... rather not DM though. I've been doing that a lot lately when I've had time from work (home DnD, online Shadowrun 4e). I want a fix of player-dom for the moment before I launch another game.

just anecdotally (hey, used the word in proper context  XD ),

Just for those that think 4e can't go RPG (or gonzo), I was in what can only be described as a "World War II Monster Campaign". The Humanatti and their HumaNazi goons were bent on subjugating the world and remaking it in their image. The players were monsters under the heel of the HumaNazi masters and formed a Resistance Cell to strike back at the oppressors.

What we ended up with was:
a Marxist Kenku Warlord that would have made a great propaganda officer for Khrushchev,
a Kobold Invoker of Tiamat with a penchant for blowing things up,
a snarky Goblin Ranger,
a Bullywug Monk with a soccer hooligan attitude,
and me, a work camp escapee Goblin Artificer.

Adventures investigating Airship tech, freeing elves from logging camps, and sneaking around after curfew were abound as we sparked the seed of Revolt into the jackbooted masses. We couldn't win the war by ourselves, but our actions against supply lines and stealing tech for the Elven empire helped turn the tide back on the HumaNazi oppressors.

Good tongue-in-cheek fun... MechaNazis were *not* fun...